• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Most destructive radio personality?

Started by West of the Rockies, July 21, 2014, 10:36:48 AM

Any thoughts on who is the radio host causing the most damage to society?  I know that is a somewhat nebulous topic, but who do you feel is spewing the most misinformation, the most toxic material that is causing non-useful polarity, fear and hatred?

For me, if a program has only a hundred thousand listeners, well, that is less dangerous than someone with a million regular listeners.

Personally, I find Hannity to be the worst.  His constant "You're a great American/patriot" crap is creating loads of toxic division.  Just my opinion....

Eddie Coyle

Glenn Beck's alcoholic's sublimation to ill informed sociopolitical commentator makes me want to destroy every radio in sight. This goof learns something(that everybody else already knew) on Monday, and is an expert on the subject by Tuesday.

But he's not as sleazy and vile as Al Sharpton. A wretched individual whose mendacity is galling. How his antics with Brawley and Freddie's Fashion Mart haven't lead to his ostracism in the mainstream is a testament to this society's devolution. He's the black Tom Metzger.

onan

I did not know Sharpton had his own radio slot.  Where I live, it's almost exclusively rightwing stuff on the AM band, with evangelical proselytizing coming in second.  Bu Sharpton does not impress me at all.  How old is he?  He looked 65 twenty-five years ago.

Quote from: onan on July 21, 2014, 11:01:49 AM
I was gonna go with Rachel Ray.

It's gotta be Gabcast... Man, those losers are vile! 😉

albrecht

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 21, 2014, 11:30:24 AM
I did not know Sharpton had his own radio slot.  Where I live, it's almost exclusively rightwing stuff on the AM band, with evangelical proselytizing coming in second.  Bu Sharpton does not impress me at all.  How old is he?  He looked 65 twenty-five years ago.
I wasn't aware of a radio show but I know/think he had/has a show on MSNBC. I hadn't seen him in awhile and was shocked. He is very thin now (or, at least, thinner than he was in his prime race-baiting days.) I thought maybe he had cancer or some disease but I guess he just went on a diet or something.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 21, 2014, 11:30:24 AM

Sharpton's radio show is minor league stuff. I'd guess most of America doesn't have to endure his show, but if you live in an "urban" area like I do, there's the chance you'll hear his awful program coming from a passing car, or more likely housing project window.

He's 60 and the weight loss makes him look 90.

albrecht

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 21, 2014, 11:38:20 AM
    Sharpton's radio show is minor league stuff. I'd guess most of America doesn't have to endure his show, but if you live in an "urban" area like I do, there's the chance you'll hear his awful program coming from a passing car, or more likely housing project window.

He's 60 and the weight loss makes him look 90.
Yeah, the weight loss doesn't look like the healthy kind of weight loss but the kind you get if you have cancer or AIDS or something.

I'm glad I don't live in an "urban" area so have missed his show. I'm sure it is very riveting radio.

ItsOver

Quote from: onan on July 21, 2014, 11:01:49 AM
I was gonna go with Rachel Ray.
Ray has a radio show?  I'd have to say Car Talk's Click and Clack.  They're retired now but NPR still plays reruns.  An on-going threat to comedy. ;)

Juan

I thought about sNoory, but he's not good enough to be dangerous to anything but the show.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Marc.Knight on July 21, 2014, 11:42:41 AM
EvB.

been saying this for years.  nobody would listen.  thank you, sir.  you're a great american.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 21, 2014, 10:36:48 AM
Personally, I find Hannity to be the worst.  His constant "You're a great American/patriot" crap is creating loads of toxic division.  Just my opinion....

i don't know about "toxic" where hannity is concerned... and i think it's really dangerous when everyone agrees, so i don't have a natural aversion to division, but i find hannity to be wholly ineffective at what he does.  he's definitely one of the weakest links in all of conservative talk radio.  i've pissed and moaned about it elsewhere on the forum, but he brings leftists on the show who are almost caricatures of leftist ideology knowing they'll be easy to laugh at, and then he also stacks the debate with a second "conservative" voice, and both he and the "conservative" will shout down the "wacko leftist" with no real debate or exchange of ideas ever taking place.  then, when he's not busy doing that, he's busy regurgitating the same worn out philosophies rush has been repeating for a quarter of a century.  there's not an original idea in the guy's head, and you won't come away from his show with an adequate understanding of what's happening in terms of political news.  it's just regurgitated neo-conservative philosophies, many of which have been discredited, in my opinion (like sending our military to the other side of the world to fight wars we can't win or shouldn't be involved in).  agree or disagree with rush, at least when you listen to him, you'll know what's happening and you can form your own opinions (unless you lack critical thinking skills).

Well said, MV.  I know someone who featured Rush on a series of college compositions programs; he said Rush was professional and affable.  I don't agree with much Rush says, but he clearly has functioning gray matter.  Hannity is unoriginal, cowardly (as you described his ganging up on hand-picked leftists), and has a whiny voice.

NowhereInTime

Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts. (WFAN New York)
They are to Sports Radio what Deliverance was to healthy sexual relations...  >:(

I can listen to only a few minutes of sports talk these days...  First, I just am not interested anymore beyond the casual awareness; secondly, the commercials, snark, and juvenile banter is a big turn-off.

ItsOver

Quote from: Juan on July 21, 2014, 12:03:25 PM
I thought about sNoory, but he's not good enough to be dangerous to anything but the show.
And himself, of course.  Pizza roll, anyone?

Tarbaby

The first time I listened to (fill in the blank: hannity, rush, Alex Jones, Glenn Beck, O'Reilly, or Sharpton) I found them so repulsive and repugnant I never watched them again. I'm always puzzled by people who hate so-and-so and then watch them daily. I don't know if that much self induced aggravation is good for one. It almost seems to suggest some form of self loathing.;-)

There are news sources that have little or no bias.

qaddisin

Quote from: Tarbaby on July 21, 2014, 02:02:11 PM
The first time I listened to (fill in the blank: hannity, rush, Alex Jones, Glenn Beck, O'Reilly, or Sharpton) I found them so repulsive and repugnant I never watched them again.

My mind has a hard time believing there are people who actually act or think like that in the world. That they're just engaging in sociopolitical vaudeville to provoke some sort of response. But then reality sets in, and I realize that there are actually people like that in world. I'm just thankful that none of them are my bartender.

I'm always puzzled by people who hate so-and-so and then watch them daily. I don't know if that much self induced aggravation is good for one. It almost seems to suggest some form of self loathing.;-)

I think that to myself every time I go and read the Politics section here at bellgab.

Anyway, to answer the question with a question: does Alex Jones count? Does he have a radio show? Because if he did, I can't see that thing being healthy to listen to at all.

qaddisin

Les Nessman. Every time you saw him, he had a bandage in a different place.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: qaddisin on July 21, 2014, 02:29:09 PM

does Alex Jones count? Does he have a radio show? Because if he did, I can't see that thing being healthy to listen to at all.

Yes and yes, and yes it's even worse than you think. It's currently airing overnights in Boston on a "Libertarian" station that just started up.

Doctor Phil, because a lot of people actually take that cock-eyed, mush mouthed charlatan's advice.  Did any of the people he swindled with his bogus health club memberships before he reinvented himself as a celebrity psycho babbler ever get their money back?  I will never forgive Oprah for unleashing him on an unsuspecting public.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 21, 2014, 01:29:34 PM
I can listen to only a few minutes of sports talk these days...  First, I just am not interested anymore beyond the casual awareness; secondly, the commercials, snark, and juvenile banter is a big turn-off.

Sports Radio is synonymous with that moronic virus known as "Bro Culture". Actually, Pro and College sports in all forms is infected by that idiocy.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 21, 2014, 03:10:27 PM
    Sports Radio is synonymous with that moronic virus known as "Bro Culture". Actually, Pro and College sports in all forms is infected by that idiocy.

That and the political shows are the only reason I still listen to C2C, because I like talk radio and it's the only alternative.  At least it's good for a few laughs every night.

ItsOver

Hannity is boring.  Just one long continuous Starbuck's fueled rant, interspersed with idiotic point, counterpoint talking heads.  "The Wall Banger." :))

PerfectTommy

Quote from: qaddisin on July 21, 2014, 02:29:09 PMAnyway, to answer the question with a question: does Alex Jones count? Does he have a radio show? Because if he did, I can't see that thing being healthy to listen to at all.

I second this... Alex Jones.

Buffoons like Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Olbermann, Sharpton, etc.--to hell with them. They're just a bunch of bloviating blowhards.

Jones on the other hand has a propensity for inspiring dangerous lunatics (White House shooter, Phantom Patriot idiot, Vegas cop killers, etc.) and stirring up trouble (Y2K scare).