• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150811 - Seth Shostak, SETI - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 11, 2015, 09:31:20 PM

Robert

They keep claiming ESP doesn't work, just plain not acknowledging the many demonstrations of a significant, albeit weak, effect.

AppealPlay

Hoagie's doing open lines tonight.  Oh, yes.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: VoteQuimby on August 11, 2015, 11:26:42 PM

I got $5 on it.  ;D

get in early on the $5 a month introduction subscription  to the Belgab SETI Disk.. Prices may go up in September  :D

Sean92008

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on August 11, 2015, 11:28:50 PM
Art shut the religion down quickly.  Hah!  He doesn't want to go down that rabbit hole.

That's no rabbit hole, that's a snake pit  ::)

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 11, 2015, 11:28:33 PM
I agree with you, but I've never heard Seth on the defensive like this before either.  Brilliant interview.

This thread and all the comments is testament to it being a brilliant interview :)

Quote from: maren on August 11, 2015, 11:25:19 PM
The higher they climb...

NO wall of sounds could keep the world from throwing him under the bus.

The tin can I left in my backyard 20 years ago has produced the same results as the multi-million dollars SETI program and its current form as a charitable organization.

CrazyMax46

This has been my favorite episode so far. Pure science. This is the closest we will ever get to Neil Degrasse Tyson on this show.

Seth isn't taking any bullshit. Science motherfuckers.

An alien moon base with footage being released by China... what in the blue hell is this?  :o

pate

Which Sleestak?

Late to the party double apologies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Wdp_bCCR4

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tYyeqkz8OA

I'm off to do "research" while I try to catch up...

Lilith

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on August 11, 2015, 11:30:49 PM
Hoagie's doing open lines tonight.  Oh, yes.

I'm doing my best to stay awake for that one!

Robert

The problem with "Las Vegas" as a test is that ESP still isn't strong enough to beat the house.  If the edge over chance you get isn't great enough to overcome the house's advantage -- and it isn't, according to the research -- it seems nobody cares, because it has no practical significance.  But isn't it something?  Paranormal research is still in the basic stage, just showing there's something there, but if no effort is put into it, it'll never get to the stage of practical appl'n.

AppealPlay

My brain is fresh out of chupacabras.  Maybe I need to eat more Chipotle.

Quote from: Robert on August 11, 2015, 11:35:37 PM
The problem with "Las Vegas" as a test is that ESP still isn't strong enough to beat the house. 

Or Vegas could just have better ESPers than us. They might even secretly higher a gestalt ESP power to combat people using ESP. We just don't know.

Quote from: CrazyMax46 on August 11, 2015, 11:34:48 PM
This has been my favorite episode so far. Pure science. This is the closest we will ever get to Neil Degrasse Tyson on this show.

Seth isn't taking any bullshit. Science motherfuckers.

Tyson's a know it all, there are dozens if not hundreds ready to go all over the place.

They just need to get oiled up a little...

coaster

If there are bases on the moon, they are probably ours.

One of the unsung awesome features of the new program are the Paranormal News Updates. This was a good call!