• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

bateman

Alright, I've reached my limit. MILK and pizza? This guy is a sick fuck.

pizza

jazmunda

Quote from: bateman on March 03, 2014, 10:36:46 PM
Once, twice, three times a pizza.

Pizza

I just bet that's the knife he'll use to slice up the real Ling Ling one day.

jazmunda

Quote from: bateman on March 03, 2014, 10:38:03 PM
Alright, I've reached my limit. MILK and pizza? This guy is a sick fuck.

pizza

I love his choice of plates. Where can I find them? I just love that taste of news print on the bottom of my pizza crust.

popple

I wasn't sure he would get that last bite in the way he was laboring. Way to go champ! 

BobGrau

Casio has his own place. This means he's technically a more together person than me  :(

onan

Quote from: BobGrau on March 04, 2014, 01:07:01 AM
Casio has his own place. This means he's technically a more together person than me  :(

In the US, in most cities, if you are disabled there is housing available. It looks similar to what Casio is living in. His does appear to be larger than most I visit. But they are the definition of squalor. And in my opinion they are very close to the line of breaking the law. Often those living quarters are little more than a room with shared cooking and bathing facilities and the monthly charge is 500 dollars or more.

However if you are without a disability and without a job, the options are worse. It is easy to beat yourself up about living arrangements. And I do not mean to minimize, on the other hand it appears you have a secure and safe environment. All I know about you is you're one of the funniest and interesting posters here. Thanks for that. 

area51drone

He clearly gets more than just free rent.  No job, but he can continue to live out his ling ling fantasies, purchase video games, eat unlimited pizza, etc  etc.   What would these people have done three hundred years ago?  Oh, right.

BobGrau

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2014, 05:31:52 AM
In the US, in most cities, if you are disabled there is housing available. It looks similar to what Casio is living in. His does appear to be larger than most I visit. But they are the definition of squalor. And in my opinion they are very close to the line of breaking the law. Often those living quarters are little more than a room with shared cooking and bathing facilities and the monthly charge is 500 dollars or more.

However if you are without a disability and without a job, the options are worse. It is easy to beat yourself up about living arrangements. And I do not mean to minimize, on the other hand it appears you have a secure and safe environment. All I know about you is you're one of the funniest and interesting posters here. Thanks for that.

I was mostly kidding, but thanks. I could have just as easily written "casio is more officially disabled than me". And yeah, 'care in the community' is as ridiculous a statement here in the uk as it is in the us.

jazmunda

Quote from: The General on February 28, 2014, 03:46:56 AM
Mrs. General: "I hate this website."
Me: "Why? It's great.  These are my internet friends."
Mrs. General: "I hate it for the same reason I hate pinterest. At least pinterest has delicious recipes. 
                      Does Coastgab have delicious recipes?"
Me: "It's Bellgab."

Mrs. General made the top right corner.

She's one of us now!

Please deliver your first born for the ritual.

wr250

Quote from: jazmunda on March 04, 2014, 04:41:20 PM

She's one of us now!

welcome to the haterz club Mrs. General

onan

Quote from: area51drone on March 04, 2014, 05:54:29 AM
He clearly gets more than just free rent.  No job, but he can continue to live out his ling ling fantasies, purchase video games, eat unlimited pizza, etc  etc.   What would these people have done three hundred years ago?  Oh, right.

You don't have to back 300 years. These people as you call them have had medical treatment yanked from under them. Thank you Ronald Reagan. Prior to 1980, we had 25 times the hospital beds for mental illness we do now. Reagan had no understanding of psychiatry. He wanted to meet John Hinckley to forgive him.

But I take it, your solution is to what? In the late 1700's French physician Phillippe Pinel provided sunny rooms and safety, and allowed those with mental illness to exercise on the grounds. It wasn't until the US in the 1840's put schizophrenics into prison with criminals. They were left unclothed in darkness, without heat or bathrooms. Many were chained or beaten.

wr250

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2014, 06:10:41 PM
You don't have to back 300 years. These people as you call them have had medical treatment yanked from under them. Thank you Ronald Reagan. Prior to 1980, we had 25 times the hospital beds for mental illness we do now. Reagan had no understanding of psychiatry. He wanted to meet John Hinckley to forgive him.

But I take it, your solution is to what? In the late 1700's French physician Phillippe Pinel provided sunny rooms and safety, and allowed those with mental illness to exercise on the grounds. It wasn't until the US in the 1840's put schizophrenics into prison with criminals. They were left unclothed in darkness, without heat or bathrooms. Many were chained or beaten.

thats because the severely mentally ill still have rights, even though because of their mental illness they are a danger to the general populace. they are to be treated like any other person, even if they cant support themselves. they will continue to be in and out of prison until they die. they wont get the help they would of gotten pre-reagan in an mental institution.

jazmunda

The state of mental health is a global issue. It is a shambles here too. Unfortunately those with power have either little understanding or little care for mental illness and those who suffer as a result of it (patients and their families).

Juan

Most of the mentally ill we're discussing here don't make campaign contributions.

Big issue here in NYC where the mentally ill were turned out into the streets in the 80's. From time to time there will be a news story about a mentally ill person pushing someone into the path of a train. It'll be in the news for a couple of days and then we go back to the same old, same old, mentally ill people living on the streets, in the underground subways, doorways, freezing to death in the winter and getting attention when someone attacks while facilities that could have helped them rot in the underbrush, unused.

jazmunda

Quote from: Juan on March 04, 2014, 06:26:32 PM
Most of the mentally ill we're discussing here don't make campaign contributions.

B-I-N-G-O and BINGO was his name O.

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2014, 06:10:41 PM
You don't have to back 300 years. These people as you call them have had medical treatment yanked from under them. Thank you Ronald Reagan. Prior to 1980, we had 25 times the hospital beds for mental illness we do now. Reagan had no understanding of psychiatry. He wanted to meet John Hinckley to forgive him...

Reagan?  In the 80s?

De-institutionalism of the mentally ill began in the mid 1950's.  In California the number of institutionalized peaked in 1959 at 37,500 and under Gov Edmund G Brown (Jerry's dad) the number was down to 22,000 by the time Reagan became Governor in 1967. 

The ACLU and others considered the fight against forced institutionalism to be an extension of 'Civil Rights' and had been agitating for years.  In 1967 Gov Reagan signed the Lanterman-Petris-Short Act, which had been pushed by the ACLU - it prohibited forced medication and required a judicial hearing for forced institutionalism.

This did not start nationwide due to RR's actions as President - in 1975 the ACLU won a landmark case in the Supreme Court, O'Connor vs Donaldson.  The Court ruled that a state cannot confine a non-dangerous individual capable of living with their family against their will. 

The LPS Act (Wikipedia):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanterman%E2%80%93Petris%E2%80%93Short_Act

O'Connor vs Donaldson (Wiki):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Connor_v._Donaldson

An overall view by the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/30/science/how-release-of-mental-patients-began.html

A short opinion piece:

http://onespeedbikerpolitico.blogspot.com/2011/01/revisionist-history-meantal-health.html

What the ACLU themselves have to say:

https://www.aclu.org/organization-news-and-highlights/aclu-history-mental-institutions

The General

Quote from: jazmunda on March 04, 2014, 04:41:20 PM

She's one of us now!

This made her laugh very much.
I didn't realize til today where that quote was from.
She likes Bellgab again.

And she says, "thanks for the recipes."

wr250

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 04, 2014, 08:59:52 PM
In 1975 the ACLU won a landmark case in the Supreme Court, O'Connor vs Donaldson.  The Court ruled that a state cannot confine a non-dangerous individual capable of living with their family against their will.

ive highlighted the relevant part. the problem is the person is considered "non dangerous" until they commit a violent crime. tendencies to do so are ignored until the crime is committed. in addition juvenile records are sealed in many states, now the person has a clean slate at age 18, irregardless of any violent history before that. and before you go off , i have 1st hand experience with this, and believe it or not, its not me :P.

onan

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 04, 2014, 08:59:52 PM

Reagan?  In the 80s?

http://www.salon.com/2013/09/29/ronald_reagans_shameful_legacy_violence_the_homeless_mental_illness/

QuoteOne month prior to the election, President Carter had signed the Mental Health Systems Act, which had proposed to continue the federal community mental health centers program, although with some additional state involvement. Consistent with the report of the Carter Commission, the act also included a provision for federal grants “for projects for the prevention of mental illness and the promotion of positive mental health,” an indication of how little learning had taken place among the Carter Commission members and professionals at NIMH. With President Reagan and the Republicans taking over, the Mental Health Systems Act was discarded before the ink had dried and the CMHC funds were simply block granted to the states. The CMHC program had not only died but been buried as well. An autopsy could have listed the cause of death as naiveté complicated by grandiosity.

http://www.sociology.org/content/vol003.004/thomas.html

QuoteWith the planned transfer of responsibility for the mentally ill to the states, reformers needed to build coalitions of fiscal conservatives concerned with the cost of social programs; "law and order" Republicans concerned with crime; and those who dea lt with the mentally ill who, in the absence of more comprehensive reform, sought more limited alternatives (Becker, 1993). Within this context, statutes and procedures dealing with involuntary commitment of the mentally ill were attractive. Easing standards cost relatively little, allowed the Administration to claim action simultaneously on mental health care policy, crime, and homelessness, and appeased health care providers and families of the mentally ill.

QuoteAmong the policies in need of reform to suit the corporate agenda were those that affected the mentally ill. The funding cuts that altered these policies were part of the overall attempt to alter the political economy in a way that would be more profit able for business rather than a direct assault on the policies themselves. Within the scope of the cutbacks, interest groups operated both in opposition and in support of the changes, both within and outside the government.

http://www.povertyinsights.org/2013/10/14/did-reagans-crazy-mental-health-policies-cause-todays-homelessness/

QuoteOver 30 years ago, when Reagan was elected President in 1980, he discarded a law proposed by his predecessor that would have continued funding federal community mental health centers. This basically eliminated services for people struggling with mental illness.

http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/26/6/1548.full

QuoteMental health gained traction during Jimmy Carter’s presidency with the first President’s Commission on Mental Health and passage of the Mental Health Systems Act in 1980, which sought greater integration of programs for people with serious mental illnesses. In 1981, after Ronald Reagan took office, this act was repealed,

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/timeline-mental-health-america

Quote1981

Under President Ronald Reagan, the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act repeals Carter's community health legislation and establishes block grants for the states, ending the federal government's role in providing services to the mentally ill.  Federal mental-health spending decreases by 30 percent.

An Ohio-based study finds that up to 30 percent of homeless people are thought to suffer from serious mental illness.

Federal funding drops to 11 percent of community mental-health agency budgets.

wr250

Quote from: jazmunda on March 04, 2014, 09:32:55 PM
Do I get some kind of tax break for being a local manufacturer?

no just the enjoyment of manufacturing your own.

jazmunda

Quote from: wr250 on March 04, 2014, 09:36:04 PM
no just the enjoyment of manufacturing your own.

So what you are saying is a don't get a tax break if I hire outside or foreign workers to assist me in the manufacturing process?

wr250

Quote from: jazmunda on March 04, 2014, 09:40:26 PM
So what you are saying is a don't get a tax break if I hire outside or foreign workers to assist me in the manufacturing process?
no. but you might get a jail sentence .