• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

albrecht

I'm going to send the MITD stream over an FM transmitter to an old transistor radio and tune the dial just outta wack to get the static. Everyso often turn on a electric razor to get that extra-interference. ;)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: chefist on April 23, 2015, 04:33:17 PM
Just have some bacon frying in the background in the studio!  :)

A royalty would then probably have to be paid to some pork group somewhere.

WOTR

Quote from: Art Bell on April 23, 2015, 04:29:28 PM
Gee I will have to consider how to degrade the experience a bit to make you feel at home?

Art
I am probably capable of doing that myself.  I am considering seeing if I can find a way to broadcast from my computer or phone over AM to my 1937 radio...  I will still listen in high quality at work or in the summers- but it would "feel" right to be tucked away in the basement on cold winter nights with the old radio beside me on one side and a fire on the other.

I think you may find that while many of us appreciate the lengths that you are going through to give the best experience possible, at least a few of us are nostalgic for the past.  I can listen to "those old radio shows" streaming over the net over a great system when I have it hooked to the computer or I can wait for the tubes to warm up and adjust the dial just a little up and a little down.  I think I split my time 50/50, and it would probably be the same with MITD.

I am happy that I will have the choice.

jazmunda

Gee I will have to consider how to degrade the experience a bit to make you feel at home?

Art

Let Noory host every now and again. :P ;)

chinaclipper

Quote from: Art Bell on April 23, 2015, 02:49:27 PM
It will be that easy, but knowing the technical stuff behind HE-AAC is amazing, for most people they will just say damn that sounds good.

Art

as one (?) of the grandma-eligible members of the forum, I am appreciative that it will be that easy!   hope I can get help to press that button for the player....
(I did enjoy watching/reading the article tho..pretty amazing how far we have come from the old days!)

Catsmile

Art

Create and sell an app that has adjustable sliders for all of the good ol AM sound "features."
Sure I missed some...

Skip: 1<-----||----->10
               Flutter: 1<-----||----->10
            Fadeout: 1<-----||----->10
                Static: 1<-----||----->10
          Crosstalk: 1<-----||----->10
Number Station: 1<-----||----->10
     Tube Sound: 1<-----||----->10

paladin1991

Quote from: chefist on April 23, 2015, 04:33:17 PM
Just have some bacon frying in the background in the studio!  :)
Oh hell!  Fry up and consume BLT's with different bacon every Fri!  Give a review of the bacon and it's performance in a sandwich.  Much like Cigar Dave reviews the daily smoke and the libation that accompanies it.  Aaaaah, that's good radio!

Catsmile

Quote from: MV on April 23, 2015, 04:49:54 PM

If they don't have their hand out, they got it in your pocket; or are trying tooo.

mrswizard

Quote from: chinaclipper on April 23, 2015, 05:31:49 PM
as one (?) of the grandma-eligible members of the forum, I am appreciative that it will be that easy!   hope I can get help to press that button for the player....
(I did enjoy watching/reading the article tho..pretty amazing how far we have come from the old days!)

Color me one of those grandmother types too... I'm quite friendly with these machines though and it will be nice to have Art's voice close again! Looking forward to it!

albrecht

Quote from: Catsmile on April 23, 2015, 05:48:32 PM
Create and sell an app that has adjustable sliders for all of the good ol AM sound "features."
Sure I missed some...

Skip: 1<-----||----->10
               Flutter: 1<-----||----->10
            Fadeout: 1<-----||----->10
                Static: 1<-----||----->10
          Crosstalk: 1<-----||----->10
Number Station: 1<-----||----->10
     Tube Sound: 1<-----||----->10
make that app and PM or post the link to the google store! Fidelity is over-rated, to paraphrase Bill.

Catsmile

Art could be doing the show in peoples living rooms and some would still say...
"I can't hear it! SPEAK UP!"   :o

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: wotr1 on April 23, 2015, 04:58:01 PM
I am considering seeing if I can find a way to broadcast from my computer or phone over AM to my 1937 radio...  I will still listen in high quality at work or in the summers- but it would "feel" right to be tucked away in the basement on cold winter nights with the old radio beside me on one side and a fire on the other.

I think you may find that while many of us appreciate the lengths that you are going through to give the best experience possible, at least a few of us are nostalgic for the past.  I can listen to "those old radio shows" streaming over the net over a great system when I have it hooked to the computer or I can wait for the tubes to warm up and adjust the dial just a little up and a little down.  I think I split my time 50/50, and it would probably be the same with MITD.

I am happy that I will have the choice.

chinaclipper

Quote from: Catsmile on April 23, 2015, 06:10:03 PM

what?

WOTR

Quote from: jazmunda on April 23, 2015, 05:07:43 PM
Let Noory host every now and again. :P ;)
Degrade... Not destroy.

Catsmile

Quote from: Catsmile on April 23, 2015, 06:10:03 PM

Quote from: chinaclipper on April 23, 2015, 06:14:00 PM
what?

Actually I'm kinda chilly. Add another log on the fire, or knit me a blanket.

chefist

Quote from: MV on April 23, 2015, 04:49:54 PM

As a former chef, that might be the only royalty worth paying for!  ;D

chefist

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 23, 2015, 05:53:48 PM
Oh hell!  Fry up and consume BLT's with different bacon every Fri!  Give a review of the bacon and it's performance in a sandwich.  Much like Cigar Dave reviews the daily smoke and the libation that accompanies it.  Aaaaah, that's good radio!

Bacon makes everything taste better...even late night talk radio!  :)

VegasI15

Tune In is simple and the masses out there use it.   On smartphones definitely the way to go.   Website flash player, links etc etc. can be used simultaneously and are not mutually exclusive.

AAC is a great codec for lower bitrates for sure.  Here is a link for 94.3 Knews in Palm Springs.  They make use of AAC SBR+PS.  For such a low bitrate used 48kbps it sounds good.

http://1.ice1.firststreaming.com/knwz_am.aac

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: chefist on April 23, 2015, 06:58:59 PM

i have to agree.  bacon is quite lovely.

Daggit

Quote from: chefist on April 23, 2015, 06:58:59 PM

Quote from: MV on April 23, 2015, 07:59:02 PM

There's not enough bacon in the world that could make George easier to swallow. He'd ruin bacon for me just like he ruined Coast.

albrecht

Quote from: MV on April 23, 2015, 07:59:02 PM
It is friggin crazy to me that some major world religions are against it. They are SO missing out. Every part of a pig is awesome, and can be good cooked/preserved in a variety of ways- though unless drunk and really hungry I stay away from pickled pigs feet. Only drawback is the problem of bad farming practices, run-off, flu spreads, etc. Maybe we could solve certain religious-political fights by forcing representatives of both sides to eat some bacon or have a BLT or nice pork chop or sausage and realize, WTF we have been missing!

PrairieGhost

So I watched that video about HE-AAC v2 and I've looked around for the license fee. It's a one time fee but all I can find is $15,000 and that can't be right?

sorefinger

Quote from: Art Bell on April 23, 2015, 11:44:49 AM
For those of you on the technical side this video after a bit of fluff about a Telos Xmas party will explain everything you ever wanted to know about good streaming. http://blogs.telosalliance.com/twirt/quit-streaming-mp3

Art

Thanks for this resource.  I read the transcript. That is a very fascinating discussion, which now explains why I've never complained about any quality while listening to 32kbps AAC, even music.  Greg Ogonowski is not just a brilliant engineer but also a skilled communicator. He takes an extremely technical subject and easily presents it for dummies.

SaucyRossy

Art, as a fellow chronic pain person, all I have to say is I hope it passes soon and you have more good days than bad.

I can't wait for the new show.

ks3484

Quote from: Art_s Farts on April 23, 2015, 07:15:01 AM

Art Bell / Re: Art Bell
« on: March 03, 2015, 02:16:09 PM »
PLEASE don't not let this devolve into how to make my back better. Maybe there is no way to stop it like Roswells, I understand the way it happens, if it worked for me it will work for you type thinking.
Even I can't stand reading this stuff, thank you for the good intentions but let's talk about anything else.

Have I mentioned KNYE?

Art

Hmmm, doesn't seem that Art expressed himself in quite the same way as phrodo purports him to have.

I ask you, does Art's post above say anything as crude and rude as phrodo is ascribing to Art below?

Quote from: phrodo on April 22, 2015, 02:10:07 AM
Puhleeeeze people .. Art has stated SEVERAL times that he doesn't want to hear your back stories/remedies since his is fucked beyond repair. No surgery. No treatment. No shit. So just knock it off and suckit up on your own back issues.

We can only hope his back will let him do some shows ... hopefully many .. but your remedies don't do him any good. Think about it .. sliding down a telephone pole and landing on your ass. Sympathy can be found in the dictionary somewhere between shit and syphilis. Don't think Art wants any of the above ... maybe understanding -- there is a difference.

The point being is that I wanted phrodo to show a post by Art saying what he says Art said, and using the same language that phrodo used in his post --

Quote from: ks3484 on April 22, 2015, 04:34:46 AM
okay phrodo, it's quite possible that some of Art's posts might have stated that he " doesn't care about the remedies being suggested
being."

Would you be so kind as to point out where Art happens to express those sentiments in his posts.

Heather Wade

Quote from: SaucyRossy on April 23, 2015, 08:16:42 PM
Art, as a fellow chronic pain person, all I have to say is I hope it passes soon and you have more good days than bad.

I can't wait for the new show.

Sometimes, this is winning.

chinaclipper

Quote from: Catsmile on April 23, 2015, 06:47:59 PM
Actually I'm kinda chilly. Add another log on the fire, or knit me a blanket.

you say you want chile and I can bake it?  well, OK then..

ks3484

Quote from: Danger!UFO on April 23, 2015, 08:11:50 AM
It won't take very long before Art has a big collection of MITD shows. When Art needs some time off for whatever reason I'm sure we will hear 'best of MITD' shows. Those shows will sound just as good as we heard them the first time. We'll wish Art well and welcome him when he returns.

Art doesn't want to come to this thread and read about his health problems. Let's do everyone a favor and avoid this topic.

Well it was Art who brought the topic of his health up in his own post. Yeah you're probably right -- let's just ignore any posts that Art makes about his physical discomfort. We'll just pretend like he didn't even breach the subject of the agony he is in.

Quote from: Art Bell on April 22, 2015, 04:19:52 PM
Sorry, you have not heard much from me because my back is out. Pain.

Art

jerry

Sooooo ready for July....

https://youtu.be/Zc_7ts8Q5lY?t=2m34s  Jump to 2:34

ks3484

Quote from: phrodo on April 23, 2015, 01:03:43 PM
I'm not going to do your legwork for you - search for it yourself - it was at least a few hundred posts ago. Art has indeed posted that as several veteran members here have attested. If you had been paying attention you would have read that post - and the posts of others saying that he indeed has posted it -- or maybe he made it before you joined noob. So shuttup you big fat pussy. I don't give one flying fuck if you like me or not. You don't know me and I don't like what I know about you or your pompous, pretentious posts -- rookie. So make this forum a better place and kindly open your ass and swallow yourself. Please. TIA.

EDIT - I see now that DangerUFO did your legwork for you .. see his post above. Since that was indeed since you joined you apparently do not pay attention. Maybe you should try harder to be an exemplary member of this fine forum.  ::)  :o

Hahahaha  -- you're funny...let's return to forum topics... I believe Art is looking at systems to deliver his show in the highest caliber and fashion that is both affordable and usable by his listeners...

If you have anything you'd like for me to know ...... please feel free to pm me.....  :o