• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

DanTSX

Quote from: HumanBeing on November 04, 2013, 08:46:21 PM
Of course I will listen... I crave more knowledge... haha I won't deny that  ;D

I just think his character is exemplifying one of very low integrity. I did not view him like this and hence it is a little upsetting.
But I personally never had any stream issues and I'm feeling the need to express my frustration on something that means a lot to me.

Actually, a lot of people have been saying for decades that Art has integrity issues, and is a real schmuck, not to be trusted.

We/I looked the other way in exchange for quality radio, as his personal life never really affected us.

analog kid

Well, Keith is defending Art, so at least not everyone is pissed.

b_dubb

the bright side is some of us will be saving $15 / month

HumanBeing

Quote from: MV on November 04, 2013, 08:00:33 PM
it was already made apparent to the audience by the fact that they couldn't listen to the show in a proper fashion, as evidenced by the incessant stream complaints.  if keeping it out of sight and out of mind was a concern, they should have fixed the issues.  they didn't.  show's over.

Where's the evidence that the streaming issues were really that big of a deal or the real issue... That's only what Art has said. Where's the proof?
Sure perhaps a few hundred people had issues. Out of hundreds of thousands? Seems pretty standard. Those issues might be because their electronic device sucks or is broken. Some folks might even have trouble finding channel 104... We are only left to take Art on his word... haha so we know that is bullshit, so my point  ;)

someguy

I'm not pissed, Art is old and can do whatever the fuck he wants. Sucks but oh well!

Zack

I have to say this is a bad excuse to quit over internet streaming.  He was still on just fine for everyone who has a radio in their house and cars.  As for the streaming, I have never even had any issues with the android app either.  This is clearly just an excuse to quit.  Sounds like a real bad reason to quit a radio show don't you think?

I recently just got a few other people to start listening last week.  Now I have to tell them that he has already quit again?  Hope Art is just playing a joke on us...

nomobjustice

A few hours have passed and I slightly regret referring to his "child bride" but I still think hes a douchebag

b_dubb

Quote from: analog kid on November 04, 2013, 08:55:29 PM
Well, Keith is defending Art, so at least not everyone is pissed.
of course he is.  he's still on Art's payroll.  the site is still up, right?

CRM 114

ego. numbers fixation and ego. Bell had the sweetest deal. not big  money, but totally uncensored, complete control..and a rabid core fan base. Every performers dream scenario, if they are honest...but he wanted numbers, numbers fast, and had unrealistic expectations and so this. Its really a shame, he could have finished his broadcast career on the ultimate high note, 3 years of 'real talk'..instead, I feel like I was slipped a Roofy and anally probed.

My wife is super pissed as well, since she's the one that went through the whole hassle of setting up the sirius deal and so on.

Meanandnasty

Please back to sonic Mr. Automat

1. Foot-long cheese coney with extra onions and a Pineapple malt.  Tip if you get it done by 9:00 p.m.  Rerun of Dark Matters begin then.

aldousburbank

745 online users and counting...

HumanBeing

I'm on page 23 of this thread. Not sure if I will ever catch up hahahah  ;D

someguy

I'm so glad I didn't sign up for Sirius

steelbot

Only 500 hundred of us chatting about it here on THIS site's thread alone.... 130 members 350/370 guests.

HumanBeing

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 04, 2013, 08:02:24 PM
     Fruit drinks smelling of bitter almonds are the only ones I serve at Casa de Coyle.

Ahhh yeahhhhhhh!  8)

DanTSX

Quote from: nomobjustice on November 04, 2013, 08:56:25 PM
A few hours have passed and I slightly regret referring to his "child bride" but I still think hes a douchebag

I don't.

I referred to her as such even when we were falling over ourselves at his return.

I was careful not to forget that Art isn't grandpa, but I still didn't expect this cockslap.

I'm just going to pretend that Art died in some untimely accident last weekend.  It would have been a much better way of going out than this, which is pathetic and depressing.

RIP Art.

I'm a little pissed I signed up for sirius. and kept it. I guess I've got another month of Opie and Anthony, I don't think I'll listen to Dark Matter for a few years.

HumanBeing

Quote from: che16 on November 04, 2013, 08:02:43 PM
DM had a decent number of subscribers, but the majority of listeners were listening to pirated copies of the show, after DM aired. AB also hinted (on Thursday, I believe) that subscribers were dropping off. This was a problem because there simply weren't enough callers for a healthy show (lots of repeat callers, and probably much fewer Halloween ghost stories than AB would have hoped for). This explains AB's interest in Skype as a way to get a wider variety of voices on air. All of that led to AB's insistence that DM should be opened up to the world for free with revenue coming from advertisements. I think SXM would have accepted this, even though it conflicts with their standard business model, but they had to decline because of the fear that many other hosts would demand the same opportunity. Going forward, with a new studio, no non-compete, and his marketing infrastructure in place, I think there's a good chance we'll soon see AB broadcasting online. I welcome that and I do not harbor any ill-will toward Art for doing what he thinks is the best for his show and his listeners.

I wish I was able to be this optimistic  :D

FallenSeraph

Quote from: bateman on November 04, 2013, 08:19:58 PM
Art just sent me this email:

I'm glad he answered you and I can see his point. But I wish he would have given the show more time to evolve. Hell, we weren't thrilled with all the guests, but we knew the show was just settling in and discovering its new voice, so to speak. We kept saying, "Be patient and give it time," and I wish he would have said the same thing regarding the quality of callers and the Sirius glitches.

Also, the retro bumper music was cool but maybe it was an indication that he wanted a carbon copy of C2C â€" things exactly like they were in the show's heyday. But as they say, you can't go home again, and maybe he was too stubborn or nostalgic or whatever to nudge the show into the modern age a little.

Anyway, whatever. I hope he posts something like this on his website, and I wish he wouldn't have killed his FB page. It seems like an abrupt departure without even a "goodbye and thanks" for his fans, and it feels like a slap in the face. If he would have just posted something like this on FB and left it up, I think it would have been easier for some of us to digest. Seeing that his FB page was gone completely doubled the shock factor for me.

I hope we all hear something from him eventually.

analog kid

Quote from: b_dubb on November 04, 2013, 08:56:37 PM
of course he is.  he's still on Art's payroll.  the site is still up, right?

Can't imagine that will last long without the show it's based on. I read something about Keith quitting his other job to work for Art, but I don't know if that's true.

ajiav

Quote from: CRM 114 on November 04, 2013, 08:56:57 PM
Bell had the sweetest deal. not big  money, but totally uncensored, complete control..and a rabid core fan base. Every performers dream scenario, if they are honest...but he wanted numbers, numbers fast, and had unrealistic expectations and so this. Its really a shame, he could have finished his broadcast career on the ultimate high note, 3 years of 'real talk'...

^^^well-said.

awguy

WTF! I Just heard the news about an hour ago. Time to read through what I've missed. But...WTF!

coaster

Keith said hes hoping they will compromise. Maybe there is still hope. Art does seem stubborn though. Time will tell I guess.

bateman

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 04, 2013, 08:59:21 PM
I'm a little pissed I signed up for sirius. and kept it. I guess I've got another month of Opie and Anthony, I don't think I'll listen to Dark Matter for a few years.

This is me too. It's been nice listening to O&A again, but I signed up for Art.

Sigh.

HumanBeing

Quote from: coaster on November 04, 2013, 08:05:27 PM
Emailing Sirius is as pointless as trying to teach Noory how to use a microwave.

haha yeah you can bet George couldn't program a vcr.

I'm glad Keith has hope. He prolly has inside info. Maybe paying for a reliable stream on artbell.com or something. Please compromise.

I still have deminishing hope .

popple

It's obviously a long shot, but I'm going to listen to see if Art pops on to say anything... he has the ability to do that, no?  ???

And what is siriusxm gonna do? Are they going to repeat all 28 DM shows for the next 3 years? lol

tprainbow

Quote from: nomobjustice on November 04, 2013, 08:56:25 PM

Yeah..... I had to edit my post after rereading it 30 seconds after i posted it.
Its kinda similar to saying "I hate you dad" when you are a teenager...except your dad would have to be a neglectful abusive parent. Someone else said it, i'll say it too...i totally have stockholm syndrome. Fuck you art bell/i love you/come back/you can still fix this/i know you wont/agggghhhhh.