• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 01, 2015, 09:21:56 PM
Rarely listen to Clyde's show, but he's really riding Art's proverbial tonight.

So far I counted at least 12 references

Well at least he's saying some nice things too.  I'm paraphrasing, but he said he was flattered to be compared to Art, and that Clyde, Rense, Art, and Jones started the genre in the 90s.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Pale Horse on April 01, 2015, 08:30:23 PM
Now, you're making some sense. Before you sounded all uppity and edumacated.

I know, some people get all flustered and upset when they are challenged by ideas they are not used to, or by ideas presented in ways they are not used to.  Our culture has become more anti-intellectual than usual in recent years.  Our collective dumbing down has a causative effect leading to our children scoring lower than the Slovak Republic on academic tests.

"The U.S. was slotted between the Slovak Republic and Lithuania in the overall results, two spots behind Russia."
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/12/03/248329823/u-s-high-school-students-slide-in-math-reading-science

Most high-performing high school students in Europe, Asia, and Africa would not find my "belief" post to be difficult to discern and unpack at all.  That's because they are generally trained to think analytically and critically. 

albrecht

Quote from: Marc.Knight on April 01, 2015, 09:43:23 PM
I know, some people get all flustered and upset when they are challenged by ideas they are not used to, or by ideas presented in ways they are not used to.  Our culture has become more anti-intellectual than usual in recent years.  Our collective dumbing down has a causative effect leading to our children scoring lower than the Slovak Republic on academic tests.

"The U.S. was slotted between the Slovak Republic and Lithuania in the overall results, two spots behind Russia."
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/12/03/248329823/u-s-high-school-students-slide-in-math-reading-science

Most high-performing high school students in Europe, Asia, and Africa would not find my "belief" post to be difficult to discern and unpack at all.  That's because they are generally trained to think analytically and critically.
Blah, not true. Though it is true that schools have been "dumbed down," to use a popular sentiment there is also some, not total of course, benefit of not wading too deep into navel gazing. Yes, I think personally, philosophy should be a core education but like in any education it should be built upon by degrees and substance; lest like many a co-ed taking PHL-101 get seduced by their professor or takes the "mathematical" test and end up like some Hollywood actors. These countries you mention have models, different but also similar, where the testing is also bogus and the system is also rigged. And systems that most Americans, for good or ill, wouldn't accepted (in our world-view your job isn't determined at 12, or there-abouts; even if true factually it wouldn't work here.) And, I would also ask you to look at the new EU rules changing even university thing there (and also the individual system of degree paths in the "free" systems, assuming one reaches those levels.)

The issue with our "performance" vis-a-vis other countries is a direct correlation with our "diversity," a historical remnant of bad policy and history of slavery and bad immigration policy, and also increasingly due to the new immigrants, often children, who come, usually, not even literate in their own native language. Nothing about the capacity, simply reality. Hard to score "high" in math or in Shakespeare interpretation if you don't understand English or the admonition: "use Number Two pencils to fill in the bubbles!"

-Sorry. Didn't notice thread. Send to Politics.

ps: I want Art back on any media stream, ideally all. I would love to have him on SW, something about tuning in and noise that would be awesome!!!

WhiteCrow

Quote from: onan on April 01, 2015, 06:16:22 PM
Faith is one of those things that has many different facets. Having faith that one can overcome obstacles can lead to a more positive outlook and attitude. But it can also lead to a fools paradise. Without some level of reasoning faith is just avoiding reality.

Many can't handle reality. Faith gives them a perception of reality that they 'can' handle.
Don't discount it's importance, many lack reasoning abilities.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Marc.Knight on April 01, 2015, 07:00:55 PM
Respectfully, if your knowledge is limited to what you characterize as "philosoballs" as a discipline then I have nothing more to say, as it certainly would not be understood by you.  There are actual thresholds of awareness, conceptualization and knowledge where a lack of a common frame of reference proves too challenging for some to overcome.  This can be found where, rather than a person finding intellectual challenge and concentrated analysis in a statement, one only finds "obfuscation".

Months ago I tried to warn Bellgabbers about Mr. Marc Knight, but no one would listen. I kept thinking, Am I the only one who's noticed that he often expresses great interest in, and approval of, modern antiheroism.  He claims that the Scriptures are responsible for his neo-twisted beliefs and fancies. This eisegetical belief is not only passive-aggressive, but it fails to consider that his beliefs are not just retroactively ineffective but proactively inert. In the presence of high heaven and before the civilized world I therefore assert that you may have noticed that his claims have grown into a vainglorious tapestry weaving together classical conspiracy theories of the 19th century and post-Marxian economics. But you don't know the half of it. He cannot tolerate the world as it is. He needs to live in a world of fantasies. To be more specific,  by brandishing words like “contextualization” and "obfuscation" to hoodwink people into believing that he is beyond reproach, while he spends most afternoons in his Jeep spinning parking lot donuts. 

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Art Bell on April 01, 2015, 05:59:21 PM
I did not say I do not have hope, I hope there is a God, I hope I get to see proof of Aliens, whatever, but until there is proof I choose not to believe.

Art

Is that any different than being a hopeful skeptic?

WhiteCrow

Quote from: HorrorReporter on April 01, 2015, 09:23:55 PM
So far I counted at least 12 references

So how about giving us a 'taste' of what he's saying about Art.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Marc.Knight on April 01, 2015, 07:00:55 PM
Respectfully, if your knowledge is limited to what you characterize as "philosoballs" as a discipline then I have nothing more to say, as it certainly would not be understood by you.  There are actual thresholds of awareness, conceptualization and knowledge where a lack of a common frame of reference proves too challenging for some to overcome.  This can be found where, rather than a person finding intellectual challenge and concentrated analysis in a statement, one only finds "obfuscation".

No doubt. But that is always the excuse used by people who have a tin ear for language, and who use words as a means of mystification rather than communication. Some people have great ideas but struggle with the job of expressing them (Hegel) and require exegesis, while others play the game of deliberate obliquity because they know they have nothing to say (you). There are some people for whom words like 'conceptualisation' are like catnip and they get so excited about using them that they forget about basic boring tasks like forming a coherent sentence. You really need to be admitted to some kind of semantic ER to help cure you of the need to browbeat people like this, because you are obviously living in a world of mutual reassurance where this sort of thin stuff gets mistaken for profundity.

Cwn Annwn

And upon what basis is this "reason" thing founded? By what method will you confirm its efficacy?

SredniVashtar

This, courtesy of the postmodern generator:

"If one examines Lyotardist narrative, one is faced with a choice: either accept modernism or conclude that society has objective value, given that the premise of the cultural paradigm of context is valid. Bataille uses the term ‘modernism’ to denote not narrative as such, but postnarrative. It could be said that if Lyotardist narrative holds, we have to choose between neosemiotic libertarianism and the textual paradigm of reality."

It is, literally, meaningless, and exemplifies the worst tendencies of academics to cloak simple ideas in veils of obscurity, using buzzwords and modish phrases. Why is it that someone from a Philosophy or English faculty spends so much time trying to bamboozle their readers with dreck like this, while 'hard' scientists devote their lives to making concepts as simple as possible? It's because Physics is genuinely hard and there is no need to make it harder than it already is, while too many of the Humanities are easy and they have to waste everybody's time with faux technical jargon in an attempt to convince themselves that their wasted lives have any meaning.

The trouble with people like that is that they live in an endless academic circle jerk, where nobody knows what is any good any more, because they were all taught that this kind of anti-English is how to get noticed and, eventually, tenure. That 'belief' post could have been condensed into a lucid sentence, but then it would have been exposed for the kind of non-idea it was in the first place.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Cwn Annwn on April 02, 2015, 01:59:56 AM
And upon what basis is this "reason" thing founded? By what method will you confirm its efficacy?

You'll have to frame your question better than that. It's too vague.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: WhiteCrow on April 01, 2015, 11:36:00 PM
Months ago I tried to warn Bellgabbers about Mr. Marc Knight, but no one would listen. I kept thinking, Am I the only one who's noticed that he often expresses great interest in, and approval of, modern antiheroism.  He claims that the Scriptures are responsible for his neo-twisted beliefs and fancies. This eisegetical belief is not only passive-aggressive, but it fails to consider that his beliefs are not just retroactively ineffective but proactively inert. In the presence of high heaven and before the civilized world I therefore assert that you may have noticed that his claims have grown into a vainglorious tapestry weaving together classical conspiracy theories of the 19th century and post-Marxian economics. But you don't know the half of it. He cannot tolerate the world as it is. He needs to live in a world of fantasies. To be more specific,  by brandishing words like “contextualization” and "obfuscation" to hoodwink people into believing that he is beyond reproach, while he spends most afternoons in his Jeep spinning parking lot donuts.

I love this post.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 02, 2015, 04:24:58 AM
This, courtesy of the postmodern generator:

"If one examines Lyotardist narrative, one is faced with a choice: either accept modernism or conclude that society has objective value, given that the premise of the cultural paradigm of context is valid. Bataille uses the term ‘modernism’ to denote not narrative as such, but postnarrative. It could be said that if Lyotardist narrative holds, we have to choose between neosemiotic libertarianism and the textual paradigm of reality."

It is, literally, meaningless, and exemplifies the worst tendencies of academics to cloak simple ideas in veils of obscurity, using buzzwords and modish phrases. Why is it that someone from a Philosophy or English faculty spends so much time trying to bamboozle their readers with dreck like this, while 'hard' scientists devote their lives to making concepts as simple as possible? It's because Physics is genuinely hard and there is no need to make it harder than it already is, while too many of the Humanities are easy and they have to waste everybody's time with faux technical jargon in an attempt to convince themselves that their wasted lives have any meaning.

The trouble with people like that is that they live in an endless academic circle jerk, where nobody knows what is any good any more, because they were all taught that this kind of anti-English is how to get noticed and, eventually, tenure. That 'belief' post could have been condensed into a lucid sentence, but then it would have been exposed for the kind of non-idea it was in the first place.

Because something is meaningless to you does not mean it has no meaning.

Marc.Knight

Apologies to Art Bell and to others for messing up this thread with big words, meaningless concepts, and intentional obfuscation.  I didn't want to take the thread off its rails... back to Art Bell stuff.

rzr1911

I know, some people get all flustered and upset when they are challenged by ideas they are not used to, or by ideas presented in ways they are not used to.
Or when they're presented in a "wall-of-text" like you did.
I didn't even read it until now.
Since you're apparently intelligent you should know better than to present your thoughts in such a lackluster way.
The whole paragraph boils down to "I believe evidence stands over believe", followed by an incomplete and partially wrong discourse about what belief is - which makes it at best an appetizer, and at worst - useless.

Our culture has become more anti-intellectual than usual in recent years.  Our collective dumbing down has a causative effect leading to our children scoring lower than the Slovak Republic on academic tests.
Dumbing down is obviously happening. The ruling class of the state does not need too many well educated people, because then their rule would be challenged. They only need enough smart people to be able to maintain control inside the state and prevent competing states to become too powerful.
The less educated are needed for the military and other organizations of control.

Nobody who cares to read your wall-o-text finds it difficult to discern and unpack it, despite its flaws and incompleteness.
"I believe I own a Jeep" was a very bad example. It's not really a believe. It is just a silly thought, and you already know you have the physical evidence.

I also noticed, while reading the article that you linked, that China's dominance in the PISA test is just a huge SCAM, because they only run the test in select cities that have good schools and universities, while all European states use the data from pupils and students countrywide.
If we would run the test like the Chinese do, we'd only PISA-test pupils and students around Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Paris,...

PS. I hope I didn't offend anybody or make anyone feel bad. I love you all, also Mark.Knight. I just found you a bit too boastful, implying that people who don't "understand" your wall-o-text were simply not well educated or less intelligent than you. Sorry for bad grammar, it's not my first language.
PPS. Please don't ban me! I'll try to avoid writing anything negative in the future.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: rzr1911 on April 02, 2015, 06:45:00 AM
Since you're apparently intelligent you should know better than to present your thoughts in such a lackluster way.
The whole paragraph boils down to "I believe evidence stands over believe", followed by an incomplete and partially wrong discourse about what belief it - which makes it at best an appetizer, and at worst - useless.
Dumbing down is obviously happening. The ruling class of the state does not need too many well educated people, because then their rule would be challenged. They only need enough smart people to be able to maintain control inside the state and prevent competing states to become too powerful.
The less educated are needed for the military and other organizations of control.
Nobody who cares to read your wall-o-text finds it difficult to discern and unpack it, despite its flaws and incompleteness.
"I believe I own a Jeep" was a very bad example. It's not really a believe. It is just a silly thought, and you already know you have the physical evidence.

I also noticed, while reading the article that you linked, that China's dominance in the PISA test is just a huge SCAM, because they only run the test in select cities that have good schools and universities, while all European states use the data from pupils and students countrywide.
If we would run the test like the Chinese do, we'd only PISA-test pupils and students around Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Paris,...

PS. I hope I didn't offend anybody or make anyone feel bad. I love you all, also Mark.Knight. I just found you a bit too boastful, implying that people who don't "understand" your wall-o-text were simply not well educated or less intelligent than you. Sorry for bad grammar, it's not my first language.
PPS. Please don't ban me! I'll try to avoid writing anything negative in the future.

Wow!

what's with all the book chapter length post lately. Sometimes less is more.

Surmo

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 01, 2015, 07:12:48 PM
Forget random number generators, here's a random gibberish generator :P http://rubberducky.org/cgi-bin/chomsky.pl

A random gibberish generator? That would be Dave Snoory!

How's that for less is more?  Or make that, in the case of Dave,
more is less.

Juan

ge30542

now if you people can just weave your truths into well-placed dick jokes...

There was a young man from Nantucket...

There was a young woman from Dallas.......

Who used a dynamite stick as a phallus......

They found her vagina in North Carolina, her asshole in Buckingham Palace

ge30542

(well, I obviously don't know how to properly copy & paste a quote)

channer1

Quote from: rzr1911 on April 02, 2015, 06:45:00 AM
The whole paragraph boils down to "I believe evidence stands over believe", followed by an incomplete and partially wrong discourse about what belief is - which makes it at best an appetizer, and at worst - useless.

Chicken dinner

paladin1991

Quote from: Marc.Knight on April 02, 2015, 06:09:56 AM
Apologies to Art Bell and to others for messing up this thread with big words, meaningless concepts, and intentional obfuscation.  I didn't want to take the thread off its rails... back to Art Bell stuff.
Heheh.  Just use smaller words.  In the original Sanskrit.

Art_s Farts

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 02, 2015, 08:51:05 AM
Heheh.  Just use smaller words.  In the original Sanskrit.

Or as Dave would say sand script. The dumbass actually said this during an interview "Are they called sand scripts because they were written on tablets of sand?"

DesertFox

Oh joy, now we are getting lectures...there are threads for that type of thing. 

Quote from: lonevoice on April 01, 2015, 12:27:54 PM
Art is probably right that when he gets the contract back from the corporate attorneys it will have new stuff in it that’s never been talked about, and may not be agreeable to him.  That’s to be expected.  The challenge will be for Art not to throw his hands up and tell them all to go fuck themselves and that’s that. 

Remember the kerfuffle between Keith and Art over the Jimmy Chooch thing?  Keith said, and Art agreed, that Art is emotional and dramatic.  So we know that.   Art has also been open enough with us to say that he is not a patient person, and that he hates lawyers.   This negotiating process brings together several things that Art has acknowledged are like kryptonite to him. 

Art is Old School.  He probably remembers the days when two parties entering into a business agreement wrote it all down longhand on a yellow legal pad, signed it, shook hands, and the deal was done.   I expect the modern realities of corporate business are hard for him to abide.   (I also suspect that Art isn’t using a lawyer in this process, but whatcha gonna do?) 

If we (Art’s fans and supporters) can do anything helpful, it might only be to give Art a place to vent his frustrations during this process, and to help talk him off the ledge when he gets the first draft of a contract with the newly added attorney bullshit in it.    If Art can stay calm and remain patient, it doesn’t have to be the end of the dream.   

This sensible and well reasoned post deserves more acknowledgment.  Here's hoping Art takes it to heart.

Now back to your obfuscation and stuff.

laserjock