• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

nemec9

Quote from: shamrock on January 11, 2013, 05:47:19 PM
Well, I just received his email which simply said "it was me" Art.  How cool is  that he took the time to not only read my email, but answer it also. Shamrock

Art has always had CLASS.

Harmness

Let me add my voice to the chorus of those in favor of full-assed radio.

Quote from: MV on January 11, 2013, 08:50:07 PM

Mv's Stats

Am I reading those right, MV -  Art's earlier visits generated 10-15 times the normal traffic?  Guess the man can still draw em' in. 

MV-

Looks like hits and views are up this week, it is either the Art comments or the Fine Art stream or both?  I doubt there were alot of New Years resolutions to join Coastgab.

How many new accounts this year?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on January 11, 2013, 10:01:31 PM

Am I reading those right, MV -  Art's quitting received 10-15 times more hits than his potential return?

Cause that is messed up.
That's our culture in a nutshell. Bad news trumps (potential) good news.

Am I reading those right, MV -  Art's earlier visits generated 10-15 times the normal traffic?  Guess the man can still draw em' in.

Pretty cool.  With no adverts and having been off radio for years.  He would do well if he went back, but building stations is tough so he might need to go sat and internet to challenge fast.

NoMoreNoory

Quote from: Art Bell on January 10, 2013, 10:56:44 PM
Hi All,

I do not wish to string anybody along, stay tuned means just that. Until I was free in terms of non compete there was no
real way I could be on the air anywhere. Premiere has offered me a slot anytime I wish.....I do not wish.

Now that I can indeed return if I wish there is the matter of a venue, I have some offers I am thinking about but have not
decided on anything as of yet. There was a time that I did not want to compete with Coast because I had no wish to destroy
what I built, Premiere has almost managed to change my mind about that.

Doing a show means devoting your life to it, not just "phoning it in", examples of that can be heard nightly. So a decision to
proceed will have to be done right or not at all. This means the creative freedom is first along with the venue.

While doing Coast at one point, instead of taking more money I opted for a restriction on the number of commercial minutes,
a dumb move because as soon as I was gone they came back PLUS. I do what I do because I love it, not for the money.

So, I just now have come to the point that I CAN do something, if I will or not depends on the above. I hope this helps some
of you understand the process. I would rather do nothing than something half-assed.

Art

Oh please. Please, please, please let it be so.  It's been 10 years of utter mediocrity, with the December 21st, 24th and January 6th shows being the final painful stakes in our C2C hearts. Save us from the Feckless Wonder.

MV/Liberace!

Am I reading those right, MV -  Art's earlier visits generated 10-15 times the normal traffic? 

clearly when he posts it does generate traffic, but you're reading it wrong.

the first box is broken down by day, the second by week, the third by month.

morphiaflow

I do have a small caveat to all this "ten years of Noory" sentiment...It's not as if it's been ten years since we last heard Art's voice on the radio. It's been a little over two. He remained a presence on Coast for 8 of those ten years; through 2006, he did many weekend and fill-in shows; after his life changed he still did 12-15 episodes a year. Granted, by then he was a minority presence (though I still maintain that at least in his first couple years Noory was better than he is now because he knew he was up against the still-active "Master"). And true, Art's last handful of shows from 2010 made for difficult listening--he sounded very much deflated, defeated and going through the motions/phoning it in. (Perhaps the fact that he'd been driven to that point by what Coast had become was the final straw that broke the camel's back and caused him to decide to leave with dignity.) And yes, 2001/02-ish was the last time it was fully Art's show and we heard him on the air (nearly) every night. Still, he's been a tangible presence on the radio until relatively recently, lest we forget the name of this thread and what sparked it off. Just wanted to throw that out there, in case there's anyone who DOESN'T realize it.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on January 11, 2013, 10:02:21 PM
How many new accounts this year?

these numbers are generated by the forum software.  your new member totals are broken down in there.

i don't know which is more accurate... this or google analytics.  i sometimes think analytics is too conservative.

edit:  take a look at how that page view column has climbed.  that's juicy.

[attach=1]

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 11, 2013, 10:03:50 PM
         That's our culture in a nutshell. Bad news trumps (potential) good news.
Actually, EC, I edited the post.  The Art Quits thread was started a few years back - I should have remembered, what with starting the thread and all.  Gotta lay of the intoxicants, it's messing with my memory.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on January 11, 2013, 10:40:06 PM
Actually, EC, I edited the post.  The Art Quits thread was started a few years back - I should have remembered, what with starting the thread and all.  Gotta lay of the intoxicants, it's messing with my memory.
Damn, I was all fired up to do Spengler-esque rant about the decline of our morals,standards and increase of cynicism and how awash we are in negativity.

Of course, it's tongue in cheek, because I may be the most negative,cynical and amoral cretin here. Oh well :-X

b_dubb

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 11, 2013, 10:48:25 PM
     Of course, it's tongue in cheek, because I may be the most negative,cynical and amoral cretin here. Oh well :-X
this

The General

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 11, 2013, 10:48:25 PM
   Damn, I was all fired up to do Spengler-esque rant about the decline of our morals,standards and increase of cynicism and how awash we are in negativity.

But who else would make an Otto Spengler reference?  That's why we like you.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on January 11, 2013, 11:54:49 PM
But who else would make an Otto Spengler reference?  That's why we like you.
Damn, that brings a tear to my eye. Thanks.

Though,the tears may be from the onion powder I'm snorting. New kicks are hard to find.

kingdomofsigh

Quote from: Morgus on January 11, 2013, 03:28:20 PM
Noory or Tommy are probably the ones messing with the Art Bell wikipedia entry  8)

Heehee. Yeah one more thing to distract George or his toadies from actually delivering an insightful program. So far they wore me out - I changed it on the 9th what was a valid update but am not excited to get into a wrestling match with wikipedia trolls...  >:(

awguy

Quote from: MV on January 11, 2013, 10:25:00 PM

these numbers are generated by the forum software.  your new member totals are broken down in there.

i don't know which is more accurate... this or google analytics.  i sometimes think analytics is too conservative.

edit:  take a look at how that page view column has climbed.  that's juicy.

[attach=1]

Wow... not too shabby. And the numbers seem indicate that website hits skyrocket when Art says something juicy. I love that he posts here... that helps for sure too.

CrabbyOld Bat

OMG. Just catching up on about 4 days of posts when I saw the post from Art!   :o

PLEASE COME BACK, ART! PLEASE! ;D

svenn

I was going to mention that I was an old fart, then realized I am Art's age...  Anyway - my 2 cents - like many others, CTC was Art Bell. When Art left the airways, we all lost something. I don't consider myself a sycophant, nor am I devoid of a life. I miss the intellect, the conversations in the guise of an interview, the wonderful mysteries that are such a part of life, the humor, the real person. There is not much point in demeaning George Noory. He is simply not Art Bell. At the same time, I prefer to listen to someone who is Art Bell. That would be...wait for it...Art Bell. I hope I will soon get to hear that familiar voice from the high desert on live radio. Miss you, Art.  P.S. Bring along Mr. Punnett and Mr. Knapp.

popple

ItsOver

Quote from: ziznak on January 11, 2013, 06:01:50 PM
No wonder his posts are few and far between... he's getting smacked up by cyberstalkers spammage everytime he pokes his head out on the interwebs... I don't feel your pain Art... but i feel your pain.

Art is a much better Perseus.  Snooron and premrat are a better medusa...

Would Jorch even notice if he was headless?  Would he be like Mike the chicken?

ItsOver

It would be interesting to see Art come back with a new show and see what PremRat would do with there "Somewhere in Time" broadcasts.  I'd be surprised to see PremRat continue with SIT if Art was on somewhere in real time.

ChewMouse

Quote from: ItsOver on January 12, 2013, 01:58:38 PM
It would be interesting to see Art come back with a new show and see what PremRat would do with there "Somewhere in Time" broadcasts.  I'd be surprised to see PremRat continue with SIT if Art was on somewhere in real time.
I figured with his contract up, Art could now demand that the SIT broadcasts stop. Don't they air on Sundays...? We don't get SIT around here. I want to see if it airs tomorrow.

Edited to add:
And I really want to see if GN includes Art's name in his end-of-show shout-out to the big ol' happy C2C AM family. I don't think Art sees himself as part of that lucky crowd, nor has he for some time.

Morgus

Apparently all of Art's old shows were sold to PremRat when he sold his show to that network.
He has asked they stop playing the SIT recordings on Saturday evenings, but he doesn't have any official legal way to stop them if they won't agree.

ItsOver

Quote from: ChewMouse on January 12, 2013, 02:03:20 PM
I figured with his contract up, Art could now demand that the SIT broadcasts stop. Don't they air on Sundays...? We don't get SIT around here. I want to see if it airs tomorrow.

Edited to add:
And I really want to see if GN includes Art's name in his end-of-show shout-out to the big ol' happy C2C AM family. I don't think Art sees himself as part of that lucky crowd, nor has he for some time.

I'm thinking SIT was at least interpreted by PremRat to be in the deal when Art sold the rights to C2C.  PremRat just sees SIT as old C2C shows with Art hosting and PremRat no doubt bought the rights, past, present, and future.   SIT airs on Saturday nights in my area, prior to C2C, and it's scheduled for tonight, according the the C2CAM website.  I'm just thinking PremRat wouldn't want to continue airing SIT if Art was back on the air as a competitor.  One way for Art to get PremRat to stop broadcasting SIT.

I rarely listen to the conclusion of a Noory show but the last time I did, I noticed he didn't mention Art.  Did he start naming Art again?  I did hear a listener, some months back, ask Noory about Art, and Noory's reply was something like "Art's no longer with us," almost making it sound like Art had passed-on.      The Nooron is such a moron.

Quote from: Sardondi on January 11, 2013, 04:28:46 PM
Ah, the joys of 70's AM radio...

Melanie (Safka) - What have they done to my song

Whenever and wherever Art comes back, if that isn't the first song played on his bumper music line up that opening night, there is no justice in the universe. Brilliant!

Whatever the venue, I will be looking forward to the return of Art Bell to the airwaves.

awguy

Speculation Alert: I Just thought of something.

Art Bell becomes the next host of... Red Eye Radio.

Think About it:
- The show has suffered (in my opinion) since Doug McIntyre was reassigned.
- It's an overnight show run by Cumulus media going head to head with c2c in the same time slot.
- Ross Mitchell is already the announcer there.
- You already have a built in network of over 100 stations, including WABC New York and WLS Chicago (both of which Art thought to be a very important element in the success of the show).
- This would also guarantee Art's request that the SIT replays be stopped by premiere.

The only question is: Would Art consider working for a massive media company again?

With the way the broadcasting industry is these days, this would be one of the only scenarios in where Art could return to terrestrial radio the way he was before.

ItsOver

Quote from: awguy on January 12, 2013, 02:50:05 PM

.....The only question is: Would Art consider working for a massive media company again?....

I'm not sure he would, considering his past comments and experience.  I don't blame him, either.  I still think a once-a-week frequency, with a venue which Art has creative control over, would be more likely, but, as Art says, "Stay tuned."   ;)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: awguy on January 12, 2013, 02:50:05 PM
Speculation Alert: I Just thought of something.

Art Bell becomes the next host of... Red Eye Radio.

Think About it:
- The show has suffered (in my opinion) since Doug McIntyre was reassigned.
- It's an overnight show run by Cumulus media going head to head with c2c in the same time slot.
- Ross Mitchell is already the announcer there.
- You already have a built in network of over 100 stations, including WABC New York and WLS Chicago (both of which Art thought to be a very important element in the success of the show).
- This would also guarantee Art's request that the SIT replays be stopped by premiere.

The only question is: Would Art consider working for a massive media company again?

With the way the broadcasting industry is these days, this would be one of the only scenarios in where Art could return to terrestrial radio the way he was before.
I don't think there's a chance in hell the soon to be 68 Art would do 5 days a week, and only in blind faith would a company take the risk. And I can't see him inheriting someone else's mess like Red Eye, might as well go for C2C in that event. Anything he does will be emeritus.