• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

pyewacket

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 16, 2015, 03:00:37 PM
No.  During the run up to Midnight in the Desert I realized I was done with Art Bell, and never listened to a single show.  Him saying that was posted and discussed here, although it may have even been one of his posts here or on Facebook and not actually on the show itself.

After the Sirius fiasco and the way that was handled, then after the two years is up Art is coming back but threatening to not do the show because of bumper music, threatening to not do the show because of a misunderstanding with Keith over some triviality, then the show finally starts and a series of 'surprises' and 'big announcements' coming 'next week' that never amounted to much, on and on, it was just too much, at least for me. 

Art likes drama, he likes attention, he likes jerking people around.  He likes doing a show - until he doesn't.  And that's all fine, he should be himself, but he should understand not everyone is appreciative of it.

Well said, PB. That's how I feel, with the exception of Art's stint on Sirius, I missed that and I'm glad I did. That said- I feel no anger and hope that a positive resolution can be achieved for Art and his family. 

bellNwhistle

Quote from: norland2424 on December 16, 2015, 04:41:09 PM
Wait who worked in jpl?

RCH- pretty sure He said he worked there, on the Mars Rover project.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 16, 2015, 04:44:52 PM

I doubt that one, I suspect Hoagland would get knifed if he even set foot in JPL.

Ciardelo

heh. That's funny.

GravitySucks

Maybe he went on a tour of JPL

bellNwhistle

Naw, this is funny:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread915597/pg1
Here's the key passage:
Here is another little secret about Monuments: the only way the damn thing ever got written was that Hoagland went to prison for one of his inexplicable and weird scams (ostensibly something about a stolen rental car and New York Planetarium credit card)â€"whether it really happend or not as reported, whether it was really a scam or not, and whether he was really guilty or sentenced fairly or not (the answer to the latter is definitely “not,” as he had an attorney involved in his own weird paranoid cosmic conspiracy theories, including Hoagland).  In the end he was incarcerated over a New York State warrant that he chose to flee (to the Golden State) rather than defend in situ; he was apprehended in Berkeley when stopped for having a cardboard rear license plate; refused to plea-bargain; and so got housed in L.A. County jail for over a year.  Admittedly my version of the story is cobbled out of hearsay from a variety of semi-reliable sources, but it roughly tracks some event that actually happened.  He was in jail; that’s where I addressed my mail to him regarding the book; and he did write much of the book there.
;D

Dateline

Here is another fun idea since MITD is flailing.  Let's have open mike Fridays where the Bellgabbers, or someone if they choose can have a half hour interviewing a scheduled guest on MITD.  Heather got a shot, how about some other veterans here or some lesser known introverts. 

I don't know how someone would do it if they don't have a studio in their open, but maybe it would be technologically feasible for the person to go through the Gabcast set-up and hook-up with DMRN. 

cosmic hobo

I think RCH in the MITD time slot is the only thing that can save the network now. If DMDN folds I hope one of the other podcast networks picks hoagie up. The lols must not stop. The coming Hoagie/Noory war is prophesized.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: GravitySucks on December 16, 2015, 04:50:16 PM
Maybe he went on a tour of JPL

http://www.enterprisemission.com/hoagland.html

If that's his site, it seems like he's the only one who can prove his "credentials".

nika01

I think I have come to the conclusion that I dont care anymore who is on the radio.  Think I am going to get a nature sound app for my phone and fall asleep to it and patiently wait for the zombie apocalypse .

Ciardelo

Quote from: Segundus on December 15, 2015, 05:47:38 PM
Now that things are shutting down, I would like to have some word of the detectives Art hired.  I can understand, while they are working, keeping things quiet, but now when he has succumbed to the demands of the stalker, he could come up with some information for us.

I mean, if the cops look inept from the first, wouldn't ANYONE then think of detectives?  There are agencies with ex-cops and federal agents that have marvelous solve rates.
We should never let this die. I think we need Congressional action damnit. WHY WON'T YoU WAKE UP???

A nation mourns.

GravitySucks

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 16, 2015, 04:55:41 PM

If that's his site, it seems like he's the only one who can prove his "credentials".
Which "site" are you talking about?

bellNwhistle

Quote from: GravitySucks on December 16, 2015, 05:15:55 PM
Which "site" are you talking about?

edited my previous post.. apparently F'd up the tags. LOL

GravitySucks

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 16, 2015, 05:19:34 PM
edited my previous post.. apparently F'd up the tags. LOL

This is all I see about JPL, but I must admit I have troubles reading anything about Hoagland. This says that for a radio broadcast they linked up his museum with the JPL mission control to do a radio broadcast.

Did I miss something?

ponyboysunset

Quote from: nika01 on December 16, 2015, 05:00:43 PM
I think I have come to the conclusion that I dont care anymore who is on the radio.  Think I am going to get a nature sound app for my phone and fall asleep to it and patiently wait for the zombie apocalypse .
This is an epic idea, and I hope it catches on.

Dateline your avi and trusting your whiskers is too adorable for words.

Where is zeebo?

Instead of Moose and Squirrel it should be Mouse & Squirrel.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: GravitySucks on December 16, 2015, 05:25:32 PM
This is all I see about JPL, but I must admit I have troubles reading anything about Hoagland. This says that for a radio broadcast they linked up his museum with the JPL mission control to do a radio broadcast.

Did I miss something?

I guess all I can say is that repeatedly, RCH has made himself seem as more than he was. Scientist who w"orked for NASA-JPL".. doing various things, such as serious work reviewing Mars photos. LOL  He was apparently a guest speaker, only at the request of an employee who thought he seemed interesting.. and then later did a video series, which he thought made him pretty damn important.

Was trying to get more info on whether or not he actually worked at JPL, and found this little amusing bit:

QuoteAnd as for this being "no laughing matter," Bergstrom chuckled at the suggestion that Hoagland's invitation had resulted from "an internal investigation by NASA giving sufficient credibility" to his claims, saying, "No, sir. Not at all. Hoagland was invited to the center by our director as a guest for the day based on an employee's recommendation that he would have an interesting subject." She added that no NASA scientist had ever expressed to her a belief in Hoagland's theories about Mars.

and

QuoteHoagland also announced on September 17 that NASA was preparing a three-part "miniseries" on his presentations, entitled Hoagland's Mars, to air on PBS. He added, "I and Carl now both have our own miniseries," as if to compare his to Sagan's award-winning series Cosmos. In a November 5, 1990, telephone conversation, I learned from Craig De Sagnick, a contract video production manager to NASA/Lewis, that the original two-show project had been reduced to a single, half-hour program about Hoagland's March 20 presentation, which would carry a disclaimer making clear that Hoagland's theories were his own and not NASA's

http://www.gpposner.com/hoagland.html
LOL

Freyja

Quote from: Value Of Pi on December 16, 2015, 03:11:52 PM

I'll say this again. Neither Art nor the people here who keep saying how great our new host is are doing anybody any favors. The day that PC crap becomes the norm here is the day this place loses its raison d'etre. So let's keep supporting Art and Heather -- by telling them the truth as we believe it to be.

Well said!!  :)

GravitySucks

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 16, 2015, 05:52:12 PM
I guess all I can say is that repeatedly, RCH has made himself seem as more than he was. Scientist who w"orked for NASA-JPL".. doing various things, such as serious work reviewing Mars photos. LOL  He was apparently a guest speaker, only at the request of an employee who thought he seemed interesting.. and then later did a video series, which he thought made him pretty damn important.

Was trying to get more info on whether or not he actually worked at JPL, and found this little amusing bit:

and

LOL

He is a con artist who somewhere along the lines began living in his own fantasy world. He has never worked at NASA.

Freyja

Quote from: trostol on December 16, 2015, 03:25:23 PM
what has Dick done to deserve that spot though?

He has hosted a show for almost 6 months that is entertaining, thought provoking and annoying at times, however he makes some pretty good radio whether you like him, what he says or does or not. He IMHO also has shown a lot of depth and breadth on many topics beside NASA, images on other planets etc. He is also a known and polished "performer". He has enthusiasm, almost a child like glee in doing what he is doing which is both endearing at times and he has had some great radio.

Considering the crap that Art left DMDN in, why not give him the spot and see what happens.

I have listened to the new MITD with Heather and WADR although I wish her nothing but the best of success, I have no interest nor will I pay to listen to her, paid or otherwise.

Since MITD and OSOM came on the air, and I subscribe to both, I can honestly say that I have enjoyed OSOM much more that MITD.

As soon as I DL all the MITD shows with Art, I will be cancelling my MITD subscription and throw the $ for that subscription to Keith and DMDN directly.

For those of you poo poo'ing OSOM, how many shows have you actually listened to or are you just talking out of your butts and/or because of the "producer situation"? Just look at the OSOM thread here and see what traffic it gets every night. That alone is telling.     

twiki

I would prefer Hoagland in the Hot Seat over Heather at the Handle.

Both better than Noory in the Nude.

Freyja

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 16, 2015, 05:52:12 PM

and

LOL

OK...we are talking about radio/podcasts here.

How many actual full programs of OSOM have you listened to?

Freyja

Quote from: GravitySucks on December 16, 2015, 05:56:28 PM
He is a con artist who somewhere along the lines began living in his own fantasy world. He has never worked at NASA.

So what if he is? You have proof? Did you ever consider that maybe he believes what he says and thinks?...even though you may think he is deluded?

Do we need a dossier on anyone or everyone who broadcasts?

Are we not talking about entertainment and good radio/audio?

Stern has made billions on what? By being vile, a shmuck...albeit an intelligent one and what value did he every bring to any table, but he's on the air.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Freyja on December 16, 2015, 06:23:07 PM
So what if he is? Do we need a dossier on anyone or everyone who broadcasts?

Are we not talking about entertainment and good radio/audio?

Stern has made billions on what? By being vile, a shmuck...albeit an intelligent one and what value did he every bring to any table, but he's on the air.

All I was doing was answering a question.  I didn't say a word about OSOM.

Quote from: ziznak on December 16, 2015, 03:24:12 PM
I find it kind of disturbing that somebody would land here out of the blue and then proceed to post so much... it's obviously somewhat of a special interest forum... very very niche community.  It would be like me dropping into some reality TV discussion pit and then deciding to stay even though I dont ever watch that crap....  not to say that we should shun outsiders but I can't seem to wrap my head around the pud's motivation to post and spend so much time here?

norland2424

Quote from: GravitySucks on December 16, 2015, 06:24:46 PM
All I was doing was answering a question.  I didn't say a word about OSOM.

Don't waste your time buddy, the wingnut is crazy.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 16, 2015, 04:46:40 PM
I doubt that one, I suspect Hoagland would get knifed if he even set foot in JPL.
Nah.  They'd drop a Mars Lander model on him and drive him 6 ft into the test sand. 

Freyja

Quote from: norland2424 on December 16, 2015, 06:27:14 PM

Hope this made you feel intelligent and superior... :P

GravitySucks

Quote from: norland2424 on December 16, 2015, 06:27:14 PM

I have time for Frejya, I don't usually agree with her, but her posts are always coherent.  I read them.

I'm so confused on who's heel and face right now.

As far as I can figure it out

Art Bell - Tweener
Heather - Failed Face Push
Keith - Mega Face
MV- Ultimate face
Falkie - Heel about to Face Turn
Casio - Ultimate heel
Noory - Used to be Ultimate Heel, now a midcarder

chefist

Quote from: VoteQuimby on December 16, 2015, 06:45:45 PM
I'm so confused on who's heel and face right now.

As far as I can figure it out

Art Bell - Tweener
Heather - Failed Face Push
Keith - Mega Face
MV- Ultimate face
Falkie - Heel about to Face Turn
Casio - Ultimate heel
Noory - Used to be Ultimate Heel, now a midcarder

Always with the labels... :D