Kingdom of Nye With Heather Wade

Started by SergeantMajor, June 05, 2018, 03:38:31 PM

Should this thread be stickied?

No
Yes

Voting closes: November 02, 2045, 02:04:40 AM

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 14, 2019, 07:54:41 PM
Yeah, probably trolls.  There are a lot of places in Norway with "troll" in the name so they've been a part of popular folklore for a very long time.  Mythologically they're less of a gnome (they'd be more like the dvergar in Norwegian) and more like the North American sasquatch representing primal, wild threats.
I'm thinking Nisse? Which are more gnome like and, mostly, friendly or helpful. Trolls are ugly and bad.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on August 14, 2019, 07:56:34 PM
I'm thinking Nisse? Which are more gnome like and, mostly, friendly or helpful. Trolls are ugly and bad.

Well a gnome is more of an earth being like the dwarves in Tolkien who are based on the dvergar -- underground, metalworking, probably associated with smith-magic.  A nisse is a domestic, probably ancestral, guardian being usually identified as the spirit of the first person to own your property.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on August 14, 2019, 07:56:08 PM
Check out the Troll Hunter movie if you have a chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWbxzKTdFN8
It was fun movie.
For the engineering types the technology to exploit the Troll gas reserves is pretty amazing. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_A_platform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se26Ux9QD44

Ghost Nutter

Quote from: Liberace! on August 14, 2019, 06:47:50 PM
Understands? I think we all do.I  I started listening to Art in 1992, so speaking for myself, I'm pretty versed on the format. I think everyone here is. Not sure what you mean by this.

And nobody wants to take anything away from her or see her show end. We enjoy witnessing the drama and "monitoring her behavior."
I just mean that Heather performs long  interviews  in a correct  manner  compared  to others

K_Dubb

Yeah if they're short with pointy hats and old boots and sweaters they're probably nisser.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on August 14, 2019, 07:56:08 PM
Check out the Troll Hunter movie if you have a chance

Oh yeah those are proper trolls.

Actually the most interesting thing is the guy's sweater at 0:30 which is a pattern I don't know the name of hahaha

Spookcat

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 14, 2019, 08:08:36 PM
Yeah if they're short with pointy hats and old boots and sweaters they're probably nisser.

Ah! That’s them. Thank you both kindly!

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 14, 2019, 08:04:46 PM
Well a gnome is more of an earth being like the dwarves in Tolkien who are based on the dvergar -- underground, metalworking, probably associated with smith-magic.  A nisse is a domestic, probably ancestral, guardian being usually identified as the spirit of the first person to own your property.
Makes sense.

ps: I don't like the mainstreaming of trolls and making them seem like fun, friendly creatures.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on August 14, 2019, 08:30:51 PM
Makes sense.

ps: I don't like the mainstreaming of trolls and making them seem like fun, friendly creatures.

Oh yes, I completely agree.  And the selling of said figures as good-luck items, which has no place in traditional folklore and is the kind of marketing gimmick you'd hear in the gift shops of Old Ballard with a muttered reference to the "Jews of the North" from my grandparents' generation.

Though I suppose you find cartoonish Bigfoots, too, and the creature is still scary -- more of a whistling-past-the-graveyard thing.

VC

Quote from: Karo on August 14, 2019, 03:03:50 PM
Of which you clearly are one.

Yeah, I'm hard core for The Suicide Show. I had a good time posting last night 'here' while listening to KoN in the background for the laughs being generated 'here'.

You can't really consider me a fan though, since I'm never going to be a paying subscriber or listen except very rarely if at all. It's fun in intense little spurts, like since her return, but, really, I'm nearing my limits already. I'll lose interest very soon. 99% of her subject matter is old hat and insanely repetitive and boring, so there's little incentive to listen on that basis alone. Plus, I have the lowest opinion possible about her intelligence and interview skills. She did not learn jack from AB except how to seek attention when going "poof" with strip-pics, FU Mooney Style, and play good bumper music.

All that being said, if she can show-up and not be a "no show", then there is a potential audience that can always be duped to pay her subscription fees. HW knows how to do that based on a few hardcore paying fans she has now, but I would be very surprised if she can grow her audience even back to what she had before with MitD. Is she really that talented? I don't think so, but I'm happy to be bitch-slapped if proven wrong! It would be hilarious, really. I would bend the knee. :D

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 14, 2019, 08:40:30 PM
Oh yes, I completely agree.  And the selling of said figures as good-luck items, which has no place in traditional folklore and is the kind of marketing gimmick you'd hear in the gift shops of Old Ballard with a muttered reference to the "Jews of the North" from my grandparents' generation.

Though I suppose you find cartoonish Bigfoots, too, and the creature is still scary -- more of a whistling-past-the-graveyard thing.
Ha. The other day I watched "Harry and the Hendersons" again, a guilty pleasure, fine casting and your comment reminded me of how his dad added fangs to his drawing of the Bigfoot. But, yes, hence my guiltiness, it was also an attempt to mainstream Bigfeet and make them seem like friendly creatures.

Lilith

I think this hour of pre-show tunes, is the best hour of Heathers shows.

Maybe she should just rock tunes, and STFU.

Spookcat

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 14, 2019, 08:40:30 PM

You wouldn’t like the ones I saw then. Many were holding “velkommen” signs. One shop sold little cute things that I assume are also nisse. It was basically a fluffy material to represent a beard with a hat and little nose.

Something like this:

Catsmile

# Do A Little Dance Get Down Get Down, Baby.

Catsmile

Asuka Langley

I can appreciate Heart this is some God tier boomer music

Quote from: Kizuna Ai on August 14, 2019, 09:24:11 PM
I can appreciate Heart this is some God tier boomer music

my wife left me because i listened to this pre stream.

Catsmile

# Everything Ovar 12...
#BoomerShit,Yo!

Asuka Langley

Quote from: Richard Groyper on August 14, 2019, 09:25:58 PM
my wife left me because i listened to this pre stream.

Tell her TKON was a mistake and you are not gay, im sure she will take you back

Asuka Langley

This song makes me want to beat a hippie

Catsmile

Quote from: Kizuna Ai on August 14, 2019, 09:28:39 PM
Tell her TKON was a mistake and you are not gay, im sure she will take you back

i held her down and forcibly impregnated her. she can't leave me now. heh heh.

ps: she might have PTSD from Red Red Wine tho

K_Dubb

Quote from: Spookcat on August 14, 2019, 09:18:40 PM
You wouldn’t like the ones I saw then. Many were holding “velkommen” signs. One shop sold little cute things that I assume are also nisse. It was basically a fluffy material to represent a beard with a hat and little nose.

Something like this:

Yeah that is a stylized nisse.  A welcoming nisse is ok -- being an ancestral spirit they are generally helpful as long as you keep the place up and remember to give them their porridge with a big lump of butter -- this is critical on Christmas Eve.  But if you shirk in this or in any of your household duties they will torment you to no end, hiding your tools, spooking your cow, tying knots in your horse's tail, that sort of thing.

A welcoming troll would not be traditional.