• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Anyone interested in raising of butterflies/moths?

Started by Hog, August 26, 2019, 11:12:15 AM

SpaceMeowMaid

Quote from: AZZERAE on July 22, 2020, 01:58:30 PM

Hilarious! Brilliant! Are you seeing the MITD tonight? Jokes everywhere, especially these Geeks going Hard and talking about Kanye.

AZZERAE

Quote from: SpaceMeowMaid on July 23, 2020, 12:49:40 AM
Hilarious! Brilliant! Are you seeing the MITD tonight? Jokes everywhere, especially these Geeks going Hard and talking about Kanye.

I will write you. Once I get back from slangin' 'ese WMD's and slappin' yung locs off mah m'f'ck'n block, B.

AZZERAE

Kanye West needs to be hospitalised is my call.

https://youtu.be/ZxZZlIvs-tg

The man is experiencing severe paranoia and is exhibiting a suspiciousness of loved ones that is characteristic of a couple of mental illnesses.

As we know, he was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder about a year or so ago, and wound up opting out of receiving any treatment for it (he said no to therapy, no to medication).

There is a definite chemical imbalance going on with him. My prediction, as far as his ultimate fate is concerned will be death, caused by a series of eventually uncontrollable, psychotic behaviours, and a complete detachment from reality.

He will destroy himself, in a nutshell. He is a danger to himself and his wife and children.

SpaceMeowMaid

Quote from: AZZERAE on July 23, 2020, 12:48:36 PM
Kanye West needs to be hospitalised is my call.

https://youtu.be/ZxZZlIvs-tg

The man is experiencing severe paranoia and is exhibiting a suspiciousness of loved ones that is characteristic of a couple of mental illnesses.

As we know, he was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder about a year or so ago, and wound up opting out of receiving any treatment for it (he said no to therapy, no to medication).

There is a definite chemical imbalance going on with him. My prediction, as far as his ultimate fate is concerned will be death, caused by a series of eventually uncontrollable, psychotic behaviours, and a complete detachment from reality.

He will destroy himself, in a nutshell. He is a danger to himself and his wife and children.

You might be correct. But I have seen people come through this. And if he is being misdiagnosed and actually has PTSD none of the treatments would work anyway.

Hog

My first chrysalis of the year has now turned black and is becoming transparent.  It's about an inch long and we should have a butterfly today or tomorrow.

I've got 2 more caterpillars getting fat.  It seems as though they do prefer the newer more tender leaves of the milkweed.  I just cut some of the tops off some of the plants, they should be in good shape when its time to make some Super Monarchs, the larger ones that travel from Canada down to Mexico and overwinter.  The smaller Monarchs that head back North take 3-4 generations to get back up here.  The ones that will emerge this week are the smaller non-Supermonarchs.

peace
Hog

Hog

Wow, the last couple hours have seen a LOT of Monarch activity.

About 13 days ago, this caterpillar entered its pupa stage. This picture shows the caterpillar in a "J" shape(attachment#1

a couple hours later

The 1st chrysalis that I thought would eclose later today or tomorrow actually eclosed a couple hours ago.
Attachment#1

Then as I was photographing the eclosed butterfly, I looked down at my feet in the flowergarden, and inside a bush I discovered another Monarch.  I carried it around on my finger for about an hour.
Attachment#2

peace
Hog

Hog

Ran out of time to fix post, I'll try again.

Wow, the last couple hours have seen a LOT of Monarch activity.

About 13 days ago, this caterpillar entered its pupa stage. This picture shows the caterpillar in a "J" shape(attachment#1)

a couple hours later a chrysalis(Attachment#2)

The 1st chrysalis that I thought would eclose later today or tomorrow actually eclosed a couple hours ago.
Attachment#3

Then as I was photographing the eclosed butterfly, I looked down at my feet in the flowerbed, and inside a bush I discovered another Monarch.  It had just eclosed and its wings wand body were still wet.  I carried it around on my finger for about an hour.(attachment#4)

Attachment #5 shows me holding the Monarch I found near the ground, up near the Monarch under the eaves of my house.

The Monarch under the eves flew away and I didn't see where it went. Then I saw it fly up from the front lawn and I walked over to it.  As it flew up, the Monarch still in my hand flew after it, but she couldnt catch him and she landed in the grass, so I retrieved her and placed her in a pollinator friendly plant I have out back.  Here she is.(attachment#6) And another(attachment#7)

And here is another caterpillar about 5 days from entering its pupa stage.(attachment#8)

There was another caterpillar that was absolutely fat, but it disappeared this morning.  Hopefully it crawled into the same bush and enters its pupa stage in a few days.

There was also a couple female Monarchs that were laying eggs in my Milkweed. they look so tattered and worn compared to the new Monarchs that were born today.  Its amazing how far they travel to come up here and simply amazing that the Autumns SuperMonarchs fly the same distance South that 3-4 generations of Spring/Summer Monarchs take to fly North.  PLUS the SuperMonarchs have to overwinter in Mexico AND begin the trek Northward before starting a new generation of Monarchs to continue the cycle.  The SuperMonarchs are equivalent to a human living to approx. 400 years of age.
The female Monarch carries her own body weight in eggs.  A female Monarch can lay her body weight in eggs.  If a B-52 bomber with its Max Take Off Weight of 488,000 pounds had the same bomb carrying ability, that means it could carry 244,000 pounds of bombs, when in reality it has a bomb load of just 70,000 pounds.

peace
Hog

Hog

Quote from: pate on September 02, 2022, 01:29:40 PMWelcome back, Hog!

/off-topic:  How did your Monarchs do this year?

-p
Hey Pate, nice to be back!  I've already had 3, 2 females and 1 male.  I have 13 chrysalis' hanging and at least 20 caterpillars munching away on my milkweed.

Visually I have not seen many monarchs flying around.  For 2020 I had 15, 2021 also 15.  Hopefully I can increase this years amount by a bit.  I can't beleive that these creatures are actually, officially, an Endangered Spacies.

peace
Hog

pate

Quote from: Hog on September 02, 2022, 01:45:03 PMHey Pate, nice to be back!  I've already had 3, 2 females and 1 male.  I have 13 chrysalis' hanging and at least 20 caterpillars munching away on my milkweed.

Visually I have not seen many monarchs flying around.  For 2020 I had 15, 2021 also 15.  Hopefully I can increase this years amount by a bit.  I can't beleive that these creatures are actually, officially, an Endangered Spacies.

peace
Hog

I think I occasionally get some in my garden, they seem to prefer the Dill?  Or it might just be another species that resembles them.

They sure like like whatever that is above, very small...  So as usual, I am Nautical SHore!  And I think they are usually around in the Spring/Early Summer if that is help in identification.

HAH!

-p

albrecht

Quote from: Hog on September 02, 2022, 01:45:03 PMHey Pate, nice to be back!  I've already had 3, 2 females and 1 male.  I have 13 chrysalis' hanging and at least 20 caterpillars munching away on my milkweed.

peace
Hog

Illegal forestry practices and likely pesticides and herbicides hurting them. I encourage everyone to leave milkweed alone but the droughts also make it tough since it seems like damp areas. Lantana and sage seem to be liked by butterflies and bees (all important) and don't take much water at all. But I don't think the monarch caterpillars will breed there. Something about milkweed.