• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

Seasons don't fear the Reaper, but it's still a beat down when you become like they are.

Sardondi

Quote from: West of the Rockies on November 06, 2013, 01:21:28 PM
Well, I'll bend this thread a little... I see that the Houston Astrodome is possibly slated for destruction.  I remember when that stadium was new and -- sadly enough -- a preview of things to come....
Oh, that hurts me. It's  juts not possible. The Astrodome is so new and modern and space age. It's still shiney and new-smelling. Right? Hello?

And Earl Campbell - man, he never got the credit he was due. What a powerful, powerful runner. He was from the old would-not-be-denied school of bull-bodied power pounders who loved delivering a hit instead of just taking one. The best at this was I ever saw was Larry Csonka, who would go out of his way to find defenders to run over on his way to the goal line. But Earl was right there with him. But even though Earl was powerful and built for collisions, he had speed on the corners as well, as this short highlight tape shows as he outruns linebackers, safeties and even cornerbacks, beating the speed merchants to the turn and then outrunning them in a flat out sprint for 6. And of course running over them too.

Earl Campbell Is A Beast 

And this is one play he had in college as an Oklahoma Sooner for Barry Switzer. A massive stiff arm that turns into an explosion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Earl+Campbell+at+Oklahoma&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

analog kid

Whoa, he wrote In Thee.

Blue Oyster Cult LP - In Thee

Quote from: MV on November 07, 2013, 04:20:36 PM
well then. that's a big pile of suck.
Yeah. Makes me feel very old too.

Half dollar size. 1970s or very early 80s origin. Perpetually pinned behind the lapel of my circa WWII British naval trench coat.

You never know when you will be required to flash the sign.

Sardondi said (above):  "And Earl Campbell - man, he never got the credit he was due. What a powerful, powerful runner. He was from the old would-not-be-denied school of bull-bodied power pounders who loved delivering a hit instead of just taking one. The best at this was I ever saw was Larry Csonka, who would go out of his way to find defenders to run over on his way to the goal line. But Earl was right there with him. But even though Earl was powerful and built for collisions, he had speed on the corners as well, as this short highlight tape shows as he outruns linebackers, safeties and even cornerbacks, beating the speed merchants to the turn and then outrunning them in a flat out sprint for 6. And of course running over them too."

Thanks for the video link.  I remember watching a lot of those plays live.  I rarely watch sports anymore, but when I do I am so dismayed when I see some back or receiver trot out of bounds to avoid a hit when he easily could have churned out another four or five yards.  That ain't football.  It might be a good way to extend a very lucrative career, to avoid later-life mental dysfunction (both of these, of course, are logical, solid choices -- they really are)... but it ain't football.

Sardondi

Opps I had a bad link to the earl Campbell atomic stiff-arm here:
Quote from: Sardondi on November 07, 2013, 05:38:51 PM...And this is one play he had in college as an Oklahoma Sooner for Barry Switzer. A massive stiff arm that turns into an explosion....
This is the good link:
Earl Campbell stiff arm from hell...

Sorry.

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 08, 2013, 01:58:29 AM
Half dollar size. 1970s or very early 80s origin. Perpetually pinned behind the lapel of my circa WWII British naval trench coat.

The REAL secret sign.  ;)

Art_s Farts

Quote from: Sardondi on November 08, 2013, 04:01:35 PM
Opps I had a bad link to the earl Campbell atomic stiff-arm here:This is the good link:
Earl Campbell stiff arm from hell...

Sorry.

The Tyler Rose. Around my parts we referred to them as the Houston Earlers. Still my favorite running back.

Sardondi

Quote from: West of the Rockies on November 08, 2013, 12:25:46 PM...Thanks for the video link.  I remember watching a lot of those plays live.  I rarely watch sports anymore, but when I do I am so dismayed when I see some back or receiver trot out of bounds to avoid a hit when he easily could have churned out another four or five yards.  That ain't football.  It might be a good way to extend a very lucrative career, to avoid later-life mental dysfunction (both of these, of course, are logical, solid choices -- they really are)... but it ain't football.

Right you are it's not football. I understand the emphasis on reducing head injuries - clearly much needs to be done. But let's do it with equipment, which is available and has been for years; and use rational rules which are simple to apply, not unenforceable who-knows-what-it-is rules that differ from ref to ref. Hell, it's easier to know what the legal definition of "obscenity" is than to get  a consistent application of "targeting" in the NFL, much less NCAA .

As usual with high media attention there is an overreaction by management out of a desire to "make a change so we can say we did something", and the result is tremendous errors and poorly thought-out remedies. Plus, we're seeing the feminization of football at all levels. Right now there's a true wussicifcation of football going on. "Bullying"? BULLYING?! Why the hell isn't this an internal matter? Or a parking lot matter? But lawyers? And politicians? Hell, the "community organizers" will be next and some jerk will see it as his springboard to public office....

analog kid

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 08, 2013, 01:58:29 AM

Nice. I've noticed fans of BOC tend to be members for life.

ItsOver

Quote from: analog kid on November 09, 2013, 10:31:52 AM

Oh, yeah.

Quote from: analog kid on November 09, 2013, 10:31:52 AM

Good observation and definitely true in my case.

It's been a while since I've been here, but I know a few and maybe several gab members are solid B.O.C. fans. I don't know if it's predominantly an age thing or also a parallel for those who appreciate talk radio.

Surely, (Don't Fear) The Reaper is one of the best bumper songs ever?

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 09, 2013, 10:51:48 AM

Surely, (Don't Fear) The Reaper is one of the best bumper songs ever?

Thanks for asking.  Yes it is.

You're all a bunch of Blue Oyster Cult Satanists. I know it's true, because Pat Robertson said so. Now excuse me while I send money to the 700 Club for a good spiritual cleansing.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 09, 2013, 02:52:03 PM
You're all a bunch of Blue Oyster Cult Satanists. I know it's true, because Pat Robertson said so. Now excuse me while I send money to the 700 Club for a good spiritual cleansing.

Pat's in the club.

Did you know, that every time Pat invokes the Body Öf Christ . . .

Well, let's just say he's winking as he's Burnin' For You...  ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 09, 2013, 02:52:03 PM

Our power is strong.  Look what's happened to Art.  Unfortunately, we haven't had as much luck at keeping BOC band members alive or silencing Dave Noorie.

Morgus

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/actor-paul-mantee-dies-robinson-crusoe-cagney-lacey-655015

Veteran Actor Paul Mantee Dies at 82
In Paramount's 1964 Robinson Crusoe on Mars, Byron Haskin’s adaptation of the Daniel Defoe novel, Mantee has top billing, playing the shipwrecked Cmdr. Christopher "Kit" Draper opposite a monkey. He and future Batman star Adam West become the first humans on the planet.

Ming, the oldest animal ever known, lived to be 507 years old.

Until Maxwell killed it in the kitchen when he brought his silver hammer down.

www.newser.com/story/177606/scientists-cracked-open-507-year-old-clam.html

R.I.P. my bivalve saddle pal.

[attachimg=1]

ItsOver

Quote from: Morgus on November 11, 2013, 07:15:03 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/actor-paul-mantee-dies-robinson-crusoe-cagney-lacey-655015

Veteran Actor Paul Mantee Dies at 82
In Paramount's 1964 Robinson Crusoe on Mars...

I remember that movie.  That's scary. 

Morgus

Quote from: ItsOver on November 15, 2013, 10:48:56 AM
I remember that movie.  That's scary. 

remember his co-astronaut Adam West and their wooly monkey Mona?  ;D

grano salis

Quote from: Morgus on November 15, 2013, 03:24:34 PM
remember his co-astronaut Adam West and their wooly monkey Mona?  ;D

A classic!

Juan

Jim Jones and his minions died 35-years ago, today.

Quote from: Juan on November 18, 2013, 03:49:01 PM
Jim Jones and his minions died 35-years ago, today.

Too bad Jones didn't drink the Kool Aid first.

Morgus

Sheila Mathews Allen, Widow of Producer Irwin Allen, Dies at 84
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sheila-mathews-allen-widow-irwin-dies-656897

Sheila Mathews Allen, actress and widow of Oscar-winning producer Irwin Allen, died Nov. 15 at her home in Malibu after a long battle with pulmonary fibrosis. She was 84.

Irwin Allen, who died in 1991 at age 75, is known as the producer, writer and director of such disaster/action films and TV shows as The Poseidon Adventure, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Towering Inferno and Lost in Space. A journalist at the start of his career, he won his Oscar for the documentary The Sea Around Us (1953).

After meeting her future husband in 1960, Allen appeared on his TV shows Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space and Land of the Giants and in his films The Poseidon Adventure (as the ship’s plucky nurse) and The Towering Inferno. She also played gossipy telephone operator Fanny Tatum on five episodes of The Waltons.

The Allens married in 1974.

For the past two decades, Allen served as president of Irwin Allen Productions, developing everything from documentaries to remakes and sequels of Irwin Allen intellectual properties like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants and Lost in Space. In 2006, she served as executive producer on Warner Bros.' remake of Poseidon, directed by Wolfgang Petersen.

The daughter of Irish immigrants, Allen was born and raised in New York City. As a child, she started singing operatic arias she heard on the radio and by age 10 was performing with professional singers on many of those same shows. She graduated from the Professional Children’s School in 1946.

During the 1940s and '50s, she appeared in both the chorus and in featured roles in dozens of musicals (both on Broadway and in touring companies) including Oh, Captain! (with Tony Randall) and Destry Rides Again (with Andy Griffith).

A lifelong opera fan, Allen was a prominent supporter of the Los Angeles Opera and the Young Musicians Foundation, and SHARE and United Friends of the Children were among her favorite charities.

Survivors include her brother, C.J. Mathews, and his family in San Diego, the T.K. Mathews family in Virginia, the Allen family of Massachusetts and the Miranda family in Los Angeles.

Funeral services will be held at noon on Friday at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Los Angeles. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.

HMC

::keeps repeating to herself "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"::  :-X

Quote from: HMC on November 20, 2013, 06:41:00 PM
::keeps repeating to herself "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"::  :-X

I don't think you can top your post on the Quit thread that got a belly laugh out of me. OK, back to if you don't have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.