• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

onan

Just watched "Dreams of a Life". A woman born in 1965, died in her apartment in 2003 and wasn't discovered until 2006. Sounds like an intriguing story... not so much.

b_dubb

em vee ... if you're too close to the screen that will screw up the 3d effect.  that happened to me when i saw Prometheus. 

Jasmine

Quote from: onan on December 27, 2012, 06:14:05 AM
Just watched "Dreams of a Life". A woman born in 1965, died in her apartment in 2003 and wasn't discovered until 2006. Sounds like an intriguing story... not so much.

How sadly ironic that the apathy present in the above comment permeated the tragic life of this woman who died alone. The film is based on a true incident which took place in London, UK. We are a society where isolation, loneliness, and total indifference when it comes to our fellow human beings is now the order of the day. Brave new world. Be strong...for nobody truly gives a damn.

Jasmine

Quote from: ziznak on December 27, 2012, 05:53:03 AM
ya know what super 8 was a really good movie.  I watched a pretty good version of it when it was still in the movies and liked it... It's got all your Spielberg staples but it doesn't get too sappy.  Special effects, hero kids, stupid adults... good stuff.

"Super 8" started off with a wonderful and compelling premise, storyline, and acting. The first half held my keen interest, then, in the seocnd half, this film virtually falls apart and abandons any semblance of its promising start. What began as a very good flick ends up as a theme ride at Universal Studios in Florida. Alien swoops up and goes home...dad, son, and girl interest all hug, smile, look up, and wave bye bye.

Please. Spare me this crap.

"Super 8" was ok. I found it to be a bit of an homage to his earliest work.

Just saw "Lincoln". One of the finest performances by a lead actor that I`ve ever seen in my life. Daniel Day-Lewis is a Hollywood GOD!

Oh, and the film, as a whole, was very good, as well

onan

Quote from: Jasmine on December 27, 2012, 08:02:20 AM
How sadly ironic that the apathy present in the above comment permeated the tragic life of this woman who died alone. The film is based on a true incident which took place in London, UK. We are a society where isolation, loneliness, and total indifference when it comes to our fellow human beings is now the order of the day. Brave new world. Be strong...for nobody truly gives a damn.

yeah, that is what bothered me. They interviewed her (supposed) boyfriend. I am puzzled as to why there was no curiosity from him. Supposedly she had a very responsible job managing a companies portfolio. No concern there. I quit watching because it seemed no one was asking the right questions. Or maybe I am the heartless one.

Jasmine

I swore off the typical holiday cinematic fare during the Christmas period. I was overdosed on prior viewings of "A Christmas Story", "It's a Wonderful Orgasm", "Miracle on 34th Street", and even my all-time fave, "A Christmas Carol" - the classic version.

Two films I especially enjoyed were "Departures" - a Japanese out of work symphony violinist moves himself and his wife from Tokyo to a small village, where he takes up his new career of preparing the dead for burial. A VERY insightful, deep, haunting and emotional film. We absolutely loved it.

Also watched the German film "Goodbye, Lenin". The Berlin wall falls in 1989, and a former East German family falls apart. Mom goes into a coma right before the wall falls, and awakens to a unified Germany. Devoted son does all he can to create the illusion of a still existant communist East Germany, so his mother's weak heart does not give out if she realized her former world has forever vanished.

I highly recommend these two great films.

Jasmine

Quote from: onan on December 27, 2012, 11:41:32 AM
yeah, that is what bothered me. They interviewed her (supposed) boyfriend. I am puzzled as to why there was no curiosity from him. Supposedly she had a very responsible job managing a companies portfolio. No concern there. I quit watching because it seemed no one was asking the right questions. Or maybe I am the heartless one.

I walked away from this film absolutely shaken. Not only did her tragically sad fate sadden me, but, like yourself, I was quite perplexed and angered at the aftermath...the so-called human beings who were supposedly within this poor woman's life orbit.

ziznak

Quote from: FightTheFuture on December 27, 2012, 11:31:48 AM
"Super 8" was ok. I found it to be a bit of an homage to his earliest work.
yeah and I like the atmosphere of the movie... reminds me of the goonies kids and a bit of Eliots fam in ET... yer typical early 80-s late 70s atomic family + a few kids.  I grew up in similar settings so its cool to see it portrayed well.

Then Jaz has a good point... the movie quickly spirals into a special fx frenzy.

Pragmier

I felt the very same way about Super 8's 2nd half, big let down.

Just saw Django. Although it's long at 2+ hours the story moved along well, except for a brief scene featuring Tarantino which didn't need to be there. The usual for the director are all here: interesting characters, good plot, lots of gore, violence, and profanity, comedy at seemingly inappropriate moments. One thing different is the story is linear.

If you're offended by the N-word don't see this picture. It depicts slavery in a very graphic, brutal in-your-face way that is hard to watch at times, but then that was his point.

Jasmine

I also recently watched (for the umpteenth time) the wonderful "Withnail and I". 80's British cinema at it's very finest.

Here's some great clips from this flick:

Withnail and I

coaster

Quote from: Jasmine on December 27, 2012, 06:27:13 PM
I also recently watched (for the umpteenth time) the wonderful "Withnail and I". 80's British cinema at it's very finest.

Good movie. Seen it several times myself.
I recently saw Cloud Atlas. It was boring and far too long. Looking forward to seeing Lincoln.

HorrorRetro

I haven't seen it yet, but I just got tickets to see Dario Argento's "Deep Red" (1975) at a local independent theater.  I'm totally excited to see that in its original format in a theater.   8)   They play grindhouse-style movies twice a month.  http://www.grandcinema.com/page.php?id=204

b_dubb

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on December 27, 2012, 06:32:04 AM
em vee ... if you're too close to the screen that will screw up the 3d effect.  that happened to me when i saw Prometheus.

then the theater should know this and close off those rows so dumbasses like me won't walk out feeling pissed off.

ziznak

Got a screener of "Django Unchained."  I've heard some hype around this film soI'm eagerly awaiting the download to finish.

"Dredd" 2012 was pretty good.
Its violent and a mixture of Robocop/Walter Hill movies/Hobo with a Shotgun.

I enjoyed it.

Just saw "Impossible" yesterday. True story from the 2004 Tsunami.

Emotionally wrenching. A very powerful film, but difficult to watch.

Sardondi

Recently saw a movie I was surprised to enjoy - Goon. Maybe because I didn't expect anything it came out of left field. I never saw more than a few seconds of any of the American Pie movies. I generally hate raunchy humor, and can't stand Seth Rogen, although Jonah Hill can make me laugh. But for some reason Goon struck a chord with me. Not only hilarious but even moving in  a way. I thought Seann William Scott was fantastic, as was Jay Baruchel. And Liev Schreiber as the old dog enforcer Scott eventually has to face is inspired - he's wonderful. Everyone so looks the part of a rundown played-out, gritty, grungy hockey guy. Of course the movie ignores the modern reality of drug-testing in every level of sport, but, hey, it's a movie. Maybe it was how they worked in parts of Turandot, including Nessun dorma, alongside Canadian rap (!?). It made me take notice of Jay Baruchel as a writer though. Think I'll watch again tonight and howl.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 14, 2013, 11:32:39 AM
Just saw "Impossible" yesterday. True story from the 2004 Tsunami.

thanks for the recommendation.  i'll check this out.

coaster

I recently watched Seven Psychopaths and Life Of Pi. Enjoyed them both.
Quote from: Sardondi on January 23, 2013, 08:59:17 AM
Recently saw a movie I was surprised to enjoy - Goon.
I know this is on Netlfix but I never gave it a chance because I really dont like raunchy humor either, but I'll give it a watch now.

HAL 9000

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 14, 2013, 11:32:39 AMJust saw "Impossible" yesterday. True story from the 2004 Tsunami.

I just downloaded the movie and will watch tomorrow if possible, based on your recommendation. However, the site where I found this movie had the following review: (warning: graphic adult language)

QuoteI have been downloading torrents from this site since the beginning of time and i just registered now for the first time ever for the only purpose to state that "This is the Gayest movie in the history of all movies" and i am not talking about the kind of gay between 2 men that suck each others dicks and ass fuck one another. Anyone that thinks anything different should punch themselves repeatedly numerous times in the face and than proceed to tie a belt or a rope around there neck and hang themselves until dead. You deserve a slow painful death, that is what you like if you like this movie, its basically the same thing you that it feels like, you must not have any kind emotion that you need to watch this shit predictable ugly boring sad ass shit movie to feel anything and addicted to feeling shitty and being a shit human being brainwashed chicken troll.. This should be in sci-fi section since there acting was so far from reality, i am sure delusional morons that think that there actions and emotions where not fake as fuck dick son and so far from any reality in the world as we know it.. now BE GONE.

I'm pretty sure he didn't like it.  :o

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Jasmine on December 27, 2012, 08:15:44 AM
"Super 8" started off with a wonderful and compelling premise, storyline, and acting. The first half held my keen interest, then, in the seocnd half, this film virtually falls apart and abandons any semblance of its promising start. What began as a very good flick ends up as a theme ride at Universal Studios in Florida. Alien swoops up and goes home...dad, son, and girl interest all hug, smile, look up, and wave bye bye.

Please. Spare me this crap.

Interesting how some people eventually become parodies of themselves in their lives or through their creations.  Rather than exploring new creative pathways they rehash and recycle previously successful formulas that never match the original creative fire.

Sardondi

Quote from: Marc knight on January 24, 2013, 11:32:33 PM
Interesting how some people eventually become parodies of themselves in their lives or through their creations.  Rather than exploring new creative pathways they rehash and recycle previously successful formulas that never match the original creative fire.

Yeah, I feel Spielberg hasn't made a movie in years that could match anything he made before, say, 1990. And I agree pretty much with jasmine about Super 8. It's set up was wonderful, and if it had continued where it could have, it would have been a 70's Stand By Me. But the alien shit was just over the top cg foolishness and throwing money at fx. Two movies: one was a warm coming of age tale which had great potential, and one was cold, soulless and a typical Spielberg "blockbuster".

Quote from: coaster on January 24, 2013, 09:02:07 PM(Re: Goon )
I recently watched Seven Psychopaths and Life Of Pi. Enjoyed them both.I know this is on Netlfix but I never gave it a chance because I really dont like raunchy humor either, but I'll give it a watch now.

Be advised, the script would be cut in half if they took out all variants of "fuck". To go by the movie, eastern Canadians use "fuck" much as the British apparently do, which means, when used as an adjective, as an alternative to "very"; when as an exclamation, as an alternative to "Wow"; and just generally as a substitute for all variants of the verb "to be", as well as any article or pronoun. But I hafta say it fits the scenes, as much as it tires and bores me. 

Sardondi

Quote from: Sardondi on January 25, 2013, 05:59:31 PM
Yeah, I feel Spielberg hasn't made a movie in years that could match anything he made before, say, 1990....

It's the height of tastelessness to quote oneself, but I started thinking about that quote, and I remembered Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, either of which could stand alone for any other filmmaker's masterpiece. Si let me alter that thought that he hasn;t made a movie in years which could match anything before 1990 - let me change that to "the last 10 years". I feel on safer ground that he's lost his edge, and doesn't have the fire anymore. Nothing wrong with that. I just wish he wouldn't embarrass himself by throwing crap up on the screen.

I know he has his supporters for Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima, but those are rampant historical revisionism, in which Spielberg attempted to brutalize the American military and humanize the Japanese military, respectively; while ignoring the grotesque racism and cruelty of almost the entirety of Japanese culture which existed at least until the middle of the 20th century. Speilberg is on much safer ground when he stops the politicizing and sticks to telling stories.

I didn't know Spielberg was involved in Flags of Our Fathers or Letters From Iwo Jima.

Sardondi

Quote from: Treading Water on January 27, 2013, 04:06:15 PM
Nevermind, I should have looked it up first.

I had forgotten it as well. And if they're not actually credited as the director, I have no idea how much influence and control they have as producers or whatever the hell they are in a particular movie.