• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 12, 1920.

Rix Gins

April 12, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 12, 2020, 01:54:31 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 12, 1920.

Again with the tough old timers? What happened to us in the last 100 years? Can you imagine the death toll if two trains collided and a car were to fall off the elevated tracks to the ground below and burst into flames today?

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 13, 1920.

pate

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 13, 2020, 02:01:33 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 13, 1920.

Am I the only one seeing a Mandelbrot Affect hear with the ell-train in nearby NYC of yesterday/year?

-p

Rix Gins

April 13, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 14, 1920.

Rix Gins

April 14, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

April 15, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

April 16, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 17, 1920.

Rix Gins

April 17, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 17, 2020, 02:33:27 AM
April 17, 1920.  Public Domain

It seems to me that even though the car would be lacking seat belts and has no airbags or roof that they would be just fine should the steering knuckle break. Hell, they even mention that the car would be a wreck. None of them is even mildly concerned that they might be injured. Given your news clippings, I have to presume that a mere 50MPH crash in those days might require a band-aid or two stitches at worst...

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on April 17, 2020, 02:38:44 AM
It seems to me that even though the car would be lacking seat belts and has no airbags or roof that they would be just fine should the steering knuckle break. Hell, they even mention that the car would be a wreck. None of them is even mildly concerned that they might be injured. Given your news clippings, I have to presume that a mere 50MPH crash in those days might require a band-aid or two stitches at worst...

Is the steering knuckle the same as a steering gear?  Years ago an older brother was driving an old car from the 1940s when the steering gear broke.  It caused the car to veer off the road and flip over into a dry ditch.  My brother was OK but his passenger was hurt pretty bad. 

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 20, 1920.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 22, 1920.

Rix Gins

April 22, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 22, 2020, 02:25:09 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 22, 1920.

I wonder if they every had their story book marriage...

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 23, 1920.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 24, 1920.

Rix Gins

April 24, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

You have to love those old style gas pumps. I'm guessing that they were much safer than the modern ones. Nothing said about the (presumably) lit cigarette in close proximity.  :)

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on April 24, 2020, 02:44:34 AM
You have to love those old style gas pumps. I'm guessing that they were much safer than the modern ones. Nothing said about the (presumably) lit cigarette in close proximity.  :)

Is that why he's holding it behind his back?  haha

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 27, 1920.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 27, 2020, 01:23:07 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 27, 1920.

I like my yeggs over easy.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 27, 2020, 01:23:07 AM

Tough people back then. "Minor scratches" from a 15ft fall through an iron pipe!  I also like how the news identifies people important to the story. For example "a Greek" was driving in that one accident story.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on April 27, 2020, 04:40:41 PM
Tough people back then. "Minor scratches" from a 15ft fall through an iron pipe!  I also like how the news identifies people important to the story. For example "a Greek" was driving in that one accident story.

I like how they identified that guy posing as an insurance agent.  Called him a degenerate.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress, April 28, 1920.

The Seattle Star

The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union.

Rix Gins

April 28, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress, April 29, 1920.

The Seattle Star

The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union