• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

whatatrip

Quote from: jazmunda on November 10, 2013, 02:48:23 PM
I could have done that but I actually wanted to support Art and give something back to him as a show of support. If he ever comes back again in a paid format I will pay again. Call it battered wife syndrome if you will but he's the only broadcaster I would do that for.

I understand that many don't have the money to pay for Sirius and have money left over for beer, particularly at the $180/year subscription rate for online and $200/year for online and satellite. C2C is only about $55. I'm not even sure I would pay the $180-200/year rate but it was quite possible that I would. There are "deals" and at $50/6 months and at that rate, Sirius was worth it even though 95% of my listening was only DM.

I am certainly willing to pay for listening at a reasonable price and supporting the "artist" but I expect to get what I pay for and dropped streaming is not what I pay for. C2C seems to be able to stream live and provide on demand without the drop outs at a reasonable price. Too bad the product is inferior.

I wouldn't call it battered wife syndrome, I see it as value for the money.

If Sirius holds Art to his 2 year NC after all of this, Sirius is dead to me.

jazmunda

Hey does anybody remember the time when we were naively trying to guess what the announcement would be and we thought that we might be getting an extra day or an extra hour a night? Good times.

Too soon? :(

coaster

Quote from: JAMO on November 10, 2013, 03:12:24 PM
www.thepeoplesvoice.tv

NEW LIVE TV STATION WITH DAVID ICKE
A shame he is mental. He needs medication.

zeebo

Quote from: TheGrimCreeper1 on November 10, 2013, 07:11:53 AM
Great. So now he sucks with more energy.

It's like a vacuum cleaner that goes to 11

The General

Quote from: jazmunda on November 10, 2013, 03:33:52 PM
Hey does anybody remember the time when we were naively trying to guess what the announcement would be and we thought that we might be getting an extra day or an extra hour a night? Good times.

Yeah.  I thought we were going to get an Art Bell channel.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: coaster on November 10, 2013, 03:38:34 PM

I must respectfully disagree with you about david icke. I have found his books to be crampacked with a lot of useful information for the improvement of life. I listen to his tapes usually at the landramat in my walkman. One time I went into the laundramat when it was crowded --- usually sunday afternoon here --- and I had some plug in speakers I hooked up to the walk man with me that everyone could listen to icke. I think I really woke a few people up out of their slumber! People of earth get off your knees the lion sleeps no more!

Go david icke. God bless you and God bless Louis Farrakhan, Harold camping and Pastor arnold murray.

shell88

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 10, 2013, 03:43:28 PM

I must respectfully disagree with you about david icke. I have found his books to be crampacked with a lot of useful information for the improvement of life. I listen to his tapes usually at the landramat in my walkman. One time I went into the laundramat when it was crowded --- usually sunday afternoon here --- and I had some plug in speakers I hooked up to the walk man with me that everyone could listen to icke. I think I really woke a few people up out of their slumber! People of earth get off your knees the lion sleeps no more!

Go david icke. God bless you and God bless Louis Farrakhan, Harold camping and Pastor arnold murray.
I miss you old avatar :(

zeebo

Quote from: Nebraska888 on November 10, 2013, 12:35:46 PM

I am so frustrated with Art.  Yep, HorroRetro, time to find dependable, intelligent, interesting alternatives.

We may have to wail till they perfect artificial intelligence, put it in an indestructable robot, and create some nano/biotech personality chip that approximates Art and is immune to Noorie-esque viruses.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: shell88 on November 10, 2013, 03:45:13 PM
I miss you old avatar :(

I wanted an avatar that wouldn't remind people of Tim McVeigh.

coaster

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 10, 2013, 03:43:28 PM

One time I went into the laundramat when it was crowded --- usually sunday afternoon here --- and I had some plug in speakers I hooked up to the walk man with me that everyone could listen to icke. I think I really woke a few people up out of their slumber!

I imagine they did wake up. They were probably in shock, wondering why someone was blaring audio of a man calling people lizards while they were trying to do their laundry.

shell88

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 10, 2013, 03:46:12 PM

I wanted an avatar that wouldn't remind people of Tim McVeigh.
That was just one poster.  My own initial response to it was wtf, but after seeing a few more of your posts with your hilarious sense of humour it was perfect in my opinion.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: samdean on November 10, 2013, 03:20:11 PM
Doesn't this leave US with a job to do?

Nope.  It's not my job to ensure Art or Sirius get their way. My job was to pony up the money for a subscription, which I've already had for the past decade. 

maren

Quote from: onan on November 10, 2013, 03:18:13 PM
Me too, I want to support him. But he is going to have to put some skin in the game. It has been said many times, but I don't like having the rug pulled out from under my feet. I am not Charlie Brown and I am not going to try to kick the ball until it is a sure thing.

I don't want to sound like the loser I am and say his abrupt departure shattered me, but I was really bummed.  It surprised me how much it affected me.  Then, when he did the "it's possible I could be back on the air as early as tomorrow" post, all of a sudden my world looked a little rosier.

Get a life, maren.    ::)

The halcyon days. I thought we were getting Fridays, too.

Monday, Monday so good to me
Monday, Monday it was all I hoped it would be
Oh Monday morning, Monday morning couldn't guarantee
That Monday evening you'd still be here with me

Lather, rinse, repeat

Catsmile

Quote from: samdean on November 10, 2013, 03:20:11 PM
Doesn't this leave US with a job to do?  If our goal is to get Art doing a show and art wants to do a show, then 1 of 2 things have to happen. 

A) Sirius takes Art's deal, treats him as an independent broadcaster, but Art stays exclusive to Sirius.

B) Sirius releases Art from his non compete.

Both of these things our out of Art's control, but if WE POLITELY push the right buttons, it can happen.

Maybe if the CEO of Sirius gets a few hundred e-mails POLITELY asking for A or B above, it could happen.   (CEO of Sirius' e-mail address: James.Meyer@siriusxm.com or jmeyer@siriusradio.com not sure if there are 2 James Meyers in the organization, but those are the ones I have.  You can also try Scott.Greenstein@siriusxm.com as he is chief content officer).    If you really want to make an impression, send them a fax (1-212-584-5200.) 

If you are looking for A, maybe you remind that you were a subscriber and unsubscribed when Art left, but let them know that you would be happy to resubscribe if they had the archive content available.

If you are looking for B, you may want to let them know that you don't understand WHY Sirius would get between you and content you enjoy.  Remind them that the people they are hurting are the fans.  Art doesn't need the money, so if they really care about their reputation as a company, they will graciously step aside and let Art host his own show on the internet.

Just remember... BE POLITE.  Sending a ranting message is very easy for them to dismiss, but if you are polite and to the point, we will get results.

Okay I'll play along, say we do all of the above...
Now how long until a back problem here a shadow problem there until Art catches another case of FuckIts on a dime, and is gone again?

Any person with an IQ containing 3 digits can rationalize many "good" reasons why they will or won't do anything in life.

Fact is I'm seeing lots of shadow problems about the whole deal, and catching a case of FuckIts.
Let the chips fall where they may. Seems to work well for Art why not us?

maren

Quote from: The General on November 10, 2013, 03:42:41 PM
Yeah.  I thought we were going to get an Art Bell channel.

Every possibility that was proffered was GOOD NEWS.  Five days a week.  Art Bell Channel.  Live weekend hosts.  Never once did anyone feel it would be negative. 

Catsmile

Maybe...

Queen

I really doubt Art is thinking about Dark Matter and Sirius right now. Hes probably more concerned with his wife's family in the Philippines since they just got hit with a huge typhoon.  And yet people sit here complaining about a radio show.

Jnthn932

Quote from: NIN2 on November 10, 2013, 04:00:23 PM
I really doubt Art is thinking about Dark Matter and Sirius right now. Hes probably more concerned with his wife's family in the Philippines since they just got hit with a huge typhoon.  And yet people sit here complaining about a radio show.
He already posted and said her family was fine.

zeebo

Quote from: coaster on November 10, 2013, 03:48:28 PM
I imagine they did wake up. They were probably in shock, wondering why someone was blaring audio of a man calling people lizards while they were trying to do their laundry.

Maybe they were in shock since they hadn't seen a walkman in twenty years   :D

Mastodonkey

How many Art pieces has Phil Hendrie done over the years? Anywhere I can find them all? Only ones ive heard are the recent one and the one about horse meat.

McPhallus

Quote from: coaster on November 10, 2013, 03:38:34 PM

Icke is kookalicious.  All that convoluted and ever-changing talk about vibrations, and none of it ever makes sense.  He makes Strieber sound almost normal.

Catsmile

Quote from: Jnthn932 on November 10, 2013, 04:02:45 PM
He already posted and said her family was fine.

Yeah seems some people can't be bother to even read what Art has posted in the thread, and want to bitch about the bitchers.
What a little bitch thing to do.
Bitch calling the bitch a bitch, bitch please.  ::)

zeebo

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 10, 2013, 03:51:19 PM
The halcyon days. I thought we were getting Fridays, too.

Yes this was my hope as well.  When he hinted he'd have an "all in" announcement I was hoping Fridays were being added and/or a great weekend host like maybe G. Knapp.  But then it turned out it was some cryptic statement about possibly having a live stream if maybe Sirius would go along with it and if not then maybe no viable option.  It was like taking a bite of a See's candy thinking it's the yummy dark chocolate truffle one but instead it's that wierd gritty coconut one.

zeebo

Quote from: Catsmile on November 10, 2013, 04:08:58 PM
Yeah seems some people can't be bother to even read what Art has posted in the thread, and want to bitch about the bitchers.
What a little bitch thing to do.
Bitch calling the bitch a bitch, bitch please.  ::)

I used to bitch about the bitchers, but then i realized my bitchin was just begettin more bitchin

Bart Ell

From The Art Of Talk

Quote...I suppose this illustrates how volatile, foolish and  irresponsible I was. As I reflect on it now, I think I could not appreciate a good job when I had one. The job I walked away from at WAVZ was a coveted position for nearly anybody interested in rock radio music... but I was intolerant, maybe even a little arrogant...

And a bit later on...

Quote...When I asked her for my job back she declined to let me have it, her pride was just too great. I would not be put off so I just kept calling her. Every time she got back on the phone I told her, "I wanna get back, I wanna get back on. I know I made a mistake." I grovelled. I wanted to get back on... no, she would say. I continued to call her every day. Would she ever admit she made a mistake? No. I swallowed my pride and told her I made a mistake. It's true, I gave her an ultimatum and I should never have done that. She doesn't like ultimatums, never responds favorably to them and I knew it. I explained to her that I never should have left. I grovelled. Finally she called me and said, "Alright, damn it, come back."