• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

jazmunda

Quote from: serenity on November 28, 2015, 06:11:23 AM
Time for the Saturday post.

Tonight starting at 8PM Central until Midnight Central ( Thats 6 to 10pm Pacific for you guys in Rio Linda ) on http://ksyl.com is: Art Bell: Somewhere in Time. When Art returns to 5/25/01 when NASA released a new picture of the Face on Mars. Richard C. Hoagland joined the show to discuss the new image and another NASA cover-up.

http://ksyl.com has a live stream listed on their page and they can also be found on Tune-in.
If you are local to NW Louisiana or if the propagation is right, you can hear them on 970AM,
I do not know if the show is in the archive. Jazmunda might have the info on that. However from past info, these may be the "new" classics and may not be in the archive.

For those of you with a bent for nostalgia, from 6pm to 8pm Central, ksyl plays When Radio Was, with old radio shows from the time when "Radio was King!"

Also go to Youtube and "like" all the videos! Help us trend! http://youtube.com/artbell51

Remember "Theres Magic in the Static"

A poor sound quality 1 hour and 20 minutes of this show exists in the archive so this effectively is a brand new high quality longer version.

CornyCrow

Quote from: Robert on November 27, 2015, 06:31:06 PM
Maybe this is tied in to the dog poisoning & coyote stories mentioned upthread.

Apparently in Pahrump, in response to attacks by coyotes on pets, some people have taken to putting out poison for the coyotes.  That's led to pets being poisoned.  From what I read Google-searching the news for Pahrump, recently that's led to death threats being made in response to public accus'ns of poisoning.  Not a great leap from there to suspect that some people know Art Bell is a media figure who may be talking about the poisonings, and that the threats have therefore been extended to include him.  Lot of bad blood in Pahrump, it seems.

Either that or the threats are particular to the Bells in the knowledge that it has nothing to do with poisonings, but the media are not reporting it because to them, this is all par for the course in Pahrump, and they simply subsume it under the category of ongoing death threats & mischief by locals on locals.

They also report a survey saying Pahrump is rated the 3rd worst small city in the country.
The newspapers just may be negligent in doing their job.  I lived in a small town once.  We had a penny saver that had a crime page, but there were b&e's and assaults that were sometimes not mentioned while a kid smoking weed and a shoplifter might be. 

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Segundus on November 28, 2015, 08:33:25 AM
The newspapers just may be negligent in doing their job.  I lived in a small town once.  We had a penny saver that had a crime page, but there were b&e's and assaults that were sometimes not mentioned while a kid smoking weed and a shoplifter might be.
Art Bell is a celebrity of some note. It simply defies our understanding of the news and entertainment media that these incidents haven't produced one single "Google-able" news item, even with the initial shooting incident occurring while Art was on the air. The "poisoned dogs in Pahrump" story is on LV television but reports of a rifle fired at Bell's home and two intrusions gets nada?  Makes no sense.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: VtaGeezer on November 28, 2015, 09:48:12 AM
Art Bell is a celebrity of some note. It simply defies our understanding of the news and entertainment media that these incidents haven't produced one single "Google-able" news item, even with the initial shooting incident occurring while Art was on the air. The "poisoned dogs in Pahrump" story is on LV television but reports of a rifle fired at Bell's home and two intrusions gets nada?  Makes no sense.

I don't know about this. If something like this happened to George Noory, who has a nationally syndicated show, I'm not sure it would merit much of a spot in anyone's newscast. There are loads of radio personalities around, and I am sure a number of them have troubles of one kind or another. If Art got arrested, or did something notably fucked up I could see it getting a mention, but at the moment it is all too vague. There isn't even an arrest to report - all we know (or assume me do) is that something went on, nobody knows who it was, but they have a few ideas. I can see why the news media is not bothering with it right now. There is hardly anything to say.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 28, 2015, 09:56:35 AM
I can see why the news media is not bothering with it right now...
But even the local media has not a word:  http://pvtimes.com/sections/news

Uncle Duke

A more intriguing question might be how do the locals feel about having someone like Art living in their town?  His living there could be viewed as a plus or a minus, depending on one's perspective.  For example if you're local law enforcement, are your already thinly stretched resources further burdened by having to answer repeated calls to deal with the wackjobs someone like Art would tend to draw, showing up uninvited to his home?  Even the law abiding, but curious fans driving around his neighborhood, hoping for an "Art sighting" can be a nuisance to both local authorities and residents. Or what of the town fathers, how do they feel about their town being known largely as the home of an all-night radio personality whose stock-in-trade includes alien abductions, mythical creatures, and conspiracy theories?

I don't know if there are folks there selling "Kingdom of Nye" t-shirts or "Pahrump--Home of Art Bell" beer can koozies, although I doubt it.  I'm sure there are a good number of locals who are both happy and proud to have Art living in their town, but my gut feel is Art's presence there is a pain in the ass and embarrassing to many others.  Who can blame the local authorities and news media for not going public every time Art hears what he thinks might be a gunshot at night or sees another shadow person?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: VtaGeezer on November 28, 2015, 10:02:32 AM
But even the local media has not a word:  http://pvtimes.com/sections/news

Yep, you'd think a local rag like all local rags that has a front page headline along the lines of Mrs Miggins' cat stuck up a tree might just have it page two or three wouldn't you? Must be a really BIG news month.

CornyCrow

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 28, 2015, 09:56:35 AM
I don't know about this. If something like this happened to George Noory, who has a nationally syndicated show, I'm not sure it would merit much of a spot in anyone's newscast. There are loads of radio personalities around, and I am sure a number of them have troubles of one kind or another. If Art got arrested, or did something notably fucked up I could see it getting a mention, but at the moment it is all too vague. There isn't even an arrest to report - all we know (or assume me do) is that something went on, nobody knows who it was, but they have a few ideas. I can see why the news media is not bothering with it right now. There is hardly anything to say.
All I can think of is my small town paper having such lazy employees and misplaced priorities that none of us who lived in a neighbourhood actually were alerted to some home robberies that were taking place.  There's a lot of incompetence out there.  Also, if I knew how to get a good private PI firm, that's the way I'd go in Art's shoes. 

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Segundus on November 28, 2015, 11:00:21 AM
All I can think of is my small town paper having such lazy employees and misplaced priorities that none of us who lived in a neighbourhood actually were alerted to some home robberies that were taking place.  There's a lot of incompetence out there.  Also, if I knew how to get a good private PI firm, that's the way I'd go in Art's shoes.  

If things are as dramatic as Art claims, he needs the A-Team, not Jim Rockford or Barnaby Jones.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 28, 2015, 10:24:32 AM
A more intriguing question might be how do the locals feel about having someone like Art living in their town?  His living there could be viewed as a plus or a minus, depending on one's perspective.
About the shots fired; according to Art's account that night, his neighbors reported it and the Sheriff Dept responded.  Pahrump's other celeb is Heidi Fliess.  And there's a brothel.  I don't think the locals give a damn who lives there so long as they're white.  I visited a HS buddy of mine who retired there from his career in Vegas (huge new house-cheap price) and he was surprised how redneck it is.  He made the news some years ago when his house was vandalized because he put the Italian flag on his garage after the town council passed a law against flying any flag but the American flag.  Some Pahrumpites thought it was a Mexican flag.

CornyCrow

Maybe we should remember that stalking has only been considered a crime fairly recently.  Women who were stalked often had to be physically assaulted before the cops would get seriously involved.  Maybe in Parhump gun shots or firecrackers are heard around town from time to time?   

I'm just saying that, combined, this looks much more serious than the individual incidents.  I can see a sloppy newspaper overlooking such things.  I can see Art (or cops) requesting that they stay low-keyed.  How would it help, other than attract gawkers to the house? 

I understand scepticism, but to argue that some local rag neglects doing due intelligence as grounds for whatever is not the way to go, in my book. 

You know what I thought odd last night?  That woman who called saying - what did they think, that the stalker would be stupid enough to call in on the I Hate Art Bell line - the words 'stupid enough', as though she knew he was not so dumb or that she was cheering him on?  The rest of her call was so fawning, but that was just a strange comment to me.  Also, if she liked Art as much as she said she did, and she thought the IHAB line WERE for the stalker, why would she call to alert him? 

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Segundus on November 28, 2015, 11:20:22 AM
Maybe we should remember that stalking has only been considered a crime fairly recently.  Women who were stalked often had to be physically assaulted before the cops would get seriously involved.  Maybe in Parhump gun shots or firecrackers are heard around town from time to time?   

I'm just saying that, combined, this looks much more serious than the individual incidents.  I can see a sloppy newspaper overlooking such things.  I can see Art (or cops) requesting that they stay low-keyed.  How would it help, other than attract gawkers to the house?   
I understand scepticism, but to argue that some local rag neglects doing due intelligence as grounds for whatever is not the way to go, in my book. 

You know what I thought odd last night?  That woman who called saying - what did they think, that the stalker would be stupid enough to call in on the I Hate Art Bell line - the words 'stupid enough', as though she knew he was not so dumb or that she was cheering him on?  The rest of her call was so fawning, but that was just a strange comment to me.  Also, if she liked Art as much as she said she did, and she thought the IHAB line WERE for the stalker, why would she call to alert him?

What's "low key" about giving a near play-by-play rundown of what's happened to a world wide radio/internet audience, then taking calls and discussing the situation?  Art seems to be the only one involved who isn't keeping this thing low key. 

Who was it that said, "There's no such thing as bad publicity."?

VtaGeezer, I love me some Art Bell, but he is not a celebrity "of some note". Maybe at one time he was. Certainly not currently. What happened this time? Shots fired again, what?

If all this is about the caller "stalking" Art...

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: VtaGeezer on November 28, 2015, 11:17:10 AM
About the shots fired; according to Art's account that night, his neighbors reported it and the Sheriff Dept responded.  Pahrump's other celeb is Heidi Fliess.  And there's a brothel.  I don't think the locals give a damn who lives there so long as they're white.  I visited a HS buddy of mine who retired there from his career in Vegas (huge new house-cheap price) and he was surprised how redneck it is.  He made the news some years ago when his house was vandalized because he put the Italian flag on his garage after the town council passed a law against flying any flag but the American flag.  Some Pahrumpites thought it was a Mexican flag.

No accounting for ignorance and stupidity.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Segundus on November 28, 2015, 11:00:21 AM
I live in a town of under 10K, and our paper summarizes virtually everything criminal that's on the police blotter weekly, with features for anything of note. e.g. a shoplifter from Beale's on the loose.

Finding one trespasser would be a short term fix. Art's going to be playing whack-a-mole with obsessive fans and maybe even occasional stalkers as long as he lives where he's so visible and easily accessible.  If he's intent on living there, he need's an 8-ft block wall around the residence.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: VtaGeezer on November 28, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
I live in a town of under 10K, and our paper summarizes virtually everything criminal that's on the police blotter weekly, with features for anything of note. e.g. a shoplifter from Beale's on the loose.

Only because a story happened that was worth reporting....no story, no piece in the paper.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 28, 2015, 12:04:52 PM
Only because a story happened that was worth reporting....no story, no piece in the paper.

Trust but verify. I don't personally believe Art's telling fibs.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 28, 2015, 11:52:09 AM
What's "low key" about giving a near play-by-play rundown of what's happened to a world wide radio/internet audience, then taking calls and discussing the situation?  Art seems to be the only one involved who isn't keeping this thing low key. 

Bingo. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: rekcuf on November 28, 2015, 12:14:14 PM

Why?

paladin1991

Where were the dogs poisoned?  Near ART's place?  Come on Geezer, were the dogs along a possible insertion/egress line?  The answer is always in the data.

paladin1991

Quote from: VtaGeezer on November 28, 2015, 11:17:10 AM
Bwahahahaahahahhh.
Collective IQ of 64?  No wonder is ART can proclaim it as the Kingdom of Nye, he's king of the Morons!  The smARTest guy in the kingdom.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: rekcuf on November 28, 2015, 12:14:14 PM
Perhaps not fibs as much as paranoia. He's basically a recluse; only his voice goes outside.  He just said last night that he's anti-social. Someone mistaking his huge RV barn for a service station becomes a prowler in the driveway.  For all we really know about Mr. Bell, he's doing the show from a glittery suite in Macao surrounded by Asian babes. 

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 28, 2015, 12:19:26 PM
Why?

I reserve the right to change my mind. I'm not claiming anything DID, in fact happen... I choose to believe, he, believes something happened. That's all.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: rekcuf on November 28, 2015, 12:31:20 PM
I reserve the right to change my mind. I'm not claiming anything DID, in fact happen... I choose to believe, he, believes something happened. That's all.

Ahh thanks for the clarification.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on November 28, 2015, 12:25:55 PM
Perhaps not fibs as much as paranoia. He's basically a recluse; only his voice goes outside.  He just said last night that he's anti-social. Someone mistaking his huge RV barn for a service station becomes a prowler in the driveway.  For all we really know about Mr. Bell, he's doing the show from a glittery suite in Macao surrounded by Asian babes.

Perhaps some embellished involved?  Who knows...

Yorkshire pud

Hold that thought.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 28, 2015, 11:52:09 AM

I believe it was Oscar Wilde.

Maybe he's the kingpin of an asian baby trafficking ring?