• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

MV/Liberace!

never really been a stones fan at all.  it always bothered me when people would ask, "beatles or the stones?"  are you fucking kidding me?  i NEVER saw the stones as being in the same league with the beatles, musically or otherwise.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on June 12, 2013, 02:55:46 PM
never really been a stones fan at all.  it always bothered me when people would ask, "beatles or the stones?"  are you fucking kidding me?  i NEVER saw the stones as being in the same league with the beatles, musically or otherwise.
You're not alone, I think overall the popularity gap between them is quite massive. And Zep and Pink Floyd are bigger than the Stones in sales, etc. The Stones were always big in New York City amongst the glitterati and they had tremendous PR from that.

coaster

Was never really a fan of Jagger. I don't think hes nearly as talented as people think he is. He nearly ruined blues for me when I watched his embarrassing performance with Muddy Waters. He has no rhythm, and no soul. I give them credit for lasting as long as they have, but I wish he would stop wiggling around like a geriatric worm on stage. I enjoyed The Beatles. I had a pretty bad Beatles phase when I was a teen.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: coaster on June 12, 2013, 03:39:02 PM
Was never really a fan of Jagger. I don't think hes nearly as talented as people think he is. He nearly ruined blues for me when I watched his embarrassing performance with Muddy Waters. He has no rhythm, and no soul. I give them credit for lasting as long as they have, but I wish he would stop wiggling around like a geriatric worm on stage. I enjoyed The Beatles. I had a pretty bad Beatles phase when I was a teen.
His stage presentation just got fruitier with time. His antics with Billy Preston on the 75/76 tour may be the gayest godamn thing, grinding each other with an inflatable penis in the background. Then years later he starts mincing around like Marcel Marceau.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 12, 2013, 02:03:41 PMMy Stones apostolicism is generally confined to 1964-74, and I see the local record stores used bins completely overloaded with Dirty Work, Undercover, Flashpoint, A Bigger Bang on sale from 3 bucks and below. Which, BTW, doesn't exist for the Beatles, Floyd, Zep. And for as legendary as the Stones rep is, their catalog sales according to Billboard are quite underwhelming.

For me the absolute white-hot essence of Stonesdom can be reduced to three albums in the 3-year period of 69-71 - Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street. Those are also the first 3 of the 5 Mick Taylor albums. Taylor was the great unsung Stone. But he resented having his songwriting contributions, admittedly modest, completely ignored by Jagger and Richards, who took full credit on the songs Taylor helped write. He also aroused jealousy in Richards, who found ways to undermine him and minimize his playing on albums. Finally, he became a junkie while a Stone - what a surprise - and felt like he had to leave the band to save his life. Wise decision. IMO he showed a lot of wisdom and moral courage when he up and told Jagger he was quitting. Jagger and Richards pretended for years they didn't know why Taylor quit. But everyone in the band except Richards has since spoken very highly of Taylor's contribution, and have even wistfully referred to the fact that might have been the Stones' high point. About Taylor Richards of course remains the little shitnose punk shit he's always been, sneeringly calling him, "only a guitarist". One who outplayed you, junkie man.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on June 12, 2013, 04:50:43 PM
For me the absolute white-hot essence of Stonesdom can be reduced to three albums in the 3-year period of 69-71 - Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street. Those are also the first 3 of the 5 Mick Taylor albums. Taylor was the great unsung Stone. But he resented having his songwriting contributions, admittedly modest, completely ignored by Jagger and Richards, who took full credit on the songs Taylor helped write. He also aroused jealousy in Richards, who found ways to undermine him and minimize his playing on albums. Finally, he became a junkie while a Stone - what a surprise - and felt like he had to leave the band to save his life. Wise decision. IMO he showed a lot of wisdom and moral courage when he up and told Jagger he was quitting. Jagger and Richards pretended for years they didn't know why Taylor quit. But everyone in the band except Richards has since spoken very highly of Taylor's contribution, and have even wistfully referred to the fact that might have been the Stones' high point. About Taylor Richards of course remains the little shitnose punk shit he's always been, sneeringly calling him, "only a guitarist". One who outplayed you, junkie man.
1974.Had the Stones been a democratic band, instead of a dyad controlled by prince Rupert Loewenstein, things may have turned out differently for the Stones and Taylor. You're absolutely correct about the perennial short changing of Taylor on credits and the others enjoying working with him...but ultimately, it appears the Glimmer Twins were kept together as a business decision. Keef's image has been marketed, the songwriting credits indivisible- so no matter what a third party contributes-the song is Mick and Keith's.

Ry Cooder, Gram Parsons, Ian Stewart...all had fresh knife wounds after dealing with the Stones.

Quote from: Sardondi on June 12, 2013, 04:50:43 PM
For me the absolute white-hot essence of Stonesdom can be reduced to three albums in the 3-year period of 69-71 - Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street.
Absolutely agree, Sardondi.  People can rag on the Stones all they want, but an easy argument can be made that any of these three albums ( all three, even?) are shoo ins for inclusion in a top 10 albums of all time list.

And Taylor was fucking brilliant.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 12, 2013, 06:42:20 PM
        1974.Had the Stones been a democratic band, instead of a dyad controlled by prince Rupert Loewenstein, things may have turned out differently for the Stones and Taylor. You're absolutely correct about the perennial short changing of Taylor on credits and the others enjoying working with him...but ultimately, it appears the Glimmer Twins were kept together as a business decision. Keef's image has been marketed, the songwriting credits indivisible- so no matter what a third party contributes-the song is Mick and Keith's.

Ry Cooder, Gram Parsons, Ian Stewart...all had fresh knife wounds after dealing with the Stones.
I always quote Gram Parsons when people ask me why I hate the Eagles.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 14, 2013, 10:27:48 PM
I always quote Gram Parsons when people ask me why I hate the Eagles.
Something about a plastic dry fuck ;D . And Gram had the benefit of being dead before the Eagles got really big. Lucky Bastard.

I was born the week "One of These Nights" entered the top 40. And considering my parents feeble music tastes, I was probably conceived to the On the Border album.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 14, 2013, 10:37:51 PM
       Something about a plastic dry fuck ;D . And Gram had the benefit of being dead before the Eagles got really big. Lucky Bastard.

I was born the week "One of These Nights" entered the top 40. And considering my parents feeble music tastes, I was probably conceived to the On the Border album.

I can take the Bearnie Leadon albums under mild duress, but Gram nailed it - and clairvoyantly, as well!  There is no greater plastic dry fuck than the nightmare that is the unholy union of Frey and Henley.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 14, 2013, 11:01:43 PM
I can take the Bearnie Leadon albums under mild duress, but Gram nailed it - and clairvoyantly, as well!  There is no greater plastic dry fuck than the nightmare that is the unholy union of Frey and Henley.
Joe Walsh broke up Barnstorm to join these assholes? Don Felder's book was really good in pointing out the greed of Frey/Henley/Azoff. The very definition of corporate, of course Henley and Frey masquerading as "desperadoes" and "outlaws". They're the type that run banks, not rob them(hold on, that's often the same thing)

They were to Gram Parsons what Kingdom Come was to Zeppelin.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 15, 2013, 12:12:48 AM
        Joe Walsh broke up Barnstorm to join these assholes? Don Felder's book was really good in pointing out the greed of Frey/Henley/Azoff. The very definition of corporate, of course Henley and Frey masquerading as "desperadoes" and "outlaws". They're the type that run banks, not rob them(hold on, that's often the same thing)

They were to Gram Parsons what Kingdom Come was to Zeppelin.
Damn straight, amigo.

The thing about that causes me such mental trauma is that I don't mind Frey and Henley's solo stuff, and they both collaborated with some first rate artists.  But as Eagles?  Fuck, what a colostomy bag of pretentious, corporate pop hollowness.

This month marks the 35th anniversary of the Rolling Stones concert in my humble little town. They were primarily there to relax for a week or so, but agreed to do a concert. Only 2200 seats were available ( our largest venue - the convention center).

I wasn't a Stones fan then, but I was able to meet the lads, as they spent over a week at the condos I happen to be employed for the Summer as a lifeguard. That was one of the most interesting segments of my life. I got to know Keith and Ron fairly well - absolutely the most down-to-earth fellows you could ever meet. Charlie was just plain weird, and I mean in the extreme! Mick, on the other hand came off as a pretentious snob, although Keith assured me he really was not.

Man, the stories I have about those characters.

Sent from my HTC MyTouch 4G slide...please excuse any typos

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 15, 2013, 12:28:01 AM
Damn straight, amigo.

The thing about that causes me such mental trauma is that I don't mind Frey and Henley's solo stuff, and they both collaborated with some first rate artists.  But as Eagles?  Fuck, what a colostomy bag of pretentious, corporate pop hollowness.
I suffer the same illness. Some of Henley's solo stuff between 1982-89, I actually think is decent. And I think a lot of my ire comes from their 1994 tour, where their ticket prices were astronomically high and opened the door for 100+ dollar tickets spreading like wildfire. They should have floating pigs, not Floyd.

I was watching the documentary "The People vs. George Lucas" earlier today.  I liked it up until they had UFO Phil singing at the end.   >:(

I mean seriously, how the hell do you go from RedLetterMedia clips to a UFO Phil song?

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 15, 2013, 12:28:01 AM
Fuck, what a colostomy bag of pretentious, corporate pop hollowness.

^^^^^^This has to go at the top of the page....What a perfect description.  ;D

b_dubb

Quote from: Treading Water on June 16, 2013, 12:57:15 PM

^^^^^^This has to go at the top of the page....What a perfect description.  ;D
i endorse your endorsement wholeheartedly

analog kid

I like Don Felder alright. Henley is a puffed up dickbag though.

Eddie Coyle

The mere existence of the Kardouchians really makes me dislike the Ottomans all the much more. Very lazy and not goal-oriented. Multiple chances...

You just mentioned the Kardashian sisters, Eddie...  I detest them too (attractive puppets born with silver spoons in their mouths who have manipulated the fortune of birth into millions more dollars), but aren't they just the latest incarnation of such people?  Before all-things-Kardashian, there was, of course, Paris Hilton.  People born to wealth and fame and power have always been with us. 

Sometimes, it could be argued, these people actually develop and use some genuine talent of their own (Nancy Sinatra?), but other times they just run with Daddy's name (or Mommy's).  For instance, I loved Frank Herbert's Dune series.  When his son and Anderson took over the writing, the franchise collapsed.  In our 10-second sound-byte on-demand culture, such people have proliferated. 

I've found myself pulling away more and more from pop culture.  My wife and I unplugged the TV when our daughter turned three (some 8 years ago).  We don't stroll malls.  I have made a point of withdrawing from being an internet blog/forum junkie (especially on politics), now visiting a handful of cyber-spots I genuinely enjoy. 

I don't know, maybe I'll go into pop-culture withdrawal and immerse myself in the horseshit of modern infotainment again, but I doubt it; I'd like to move every more off the grid.

Oh well, these definitely were random stupid thoughts, yes?

HorrorRetro

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 18, 2013, 10:07:14 AM
You just mentioned the Kardashian sisters, Eddie...  I detest them too (attractive puppets born with silver spoons in their mouths who have manipulated the fortune of birth into millions more dollars), but aren't they just the latest incarnation of such people?  Before all-things-Kardashian, there was, of course, Paris Hilton.  People born to wealth and fame and power have always been with us. 

Sometimes, it could be argued, these people actually develop and use some genuine talent of their own (Nancy Sinatra?), but other times they just run with Daddy's name (or Mommy's).  For instance, I loved Frank Herbert's Dune series.  When his son and Anderson took over the writing, the franchise collapsed.  In our 10-second sound-byte on-demand culture, such people have proliferated. 

I've found myself pulling away more and more from pop culture.  My wife and I unplugged the TV when our daughter turned three (some 8 years ago).  We don't stroll malls.  I have made a point of withdrawing from being an internet blog/forum junkie (especially on politics), now visiting a handful of cyber-spots I genuinely enjoy. 

I don't know, maybe I'll go into pop-culture withdrawal and immerse myself in the horseshit of modern infotainment again, but I doubt it; I'd like to move every more off the grid.

Oh well, these definitely were random stupid thoughts, yes?

I think the difference between now and then is that today this family's (and others') exploits are considered "real news."  In the past, you'd see people like them in the National Enquirer or Star.  I can't go to my local news site without seeing their mugs plastered on the page.  What they had for breakfast is now considered breaking news on once reputable news sites.  It's just another sign of our disintegrating culture. Like you, I no longer have TV.  When most of the stations decided to run "reality" shows featuring the likes of this family, I knew it was time to cut the cord. 

Hey, Horror Retro... Yeah, for us too it was pretty much the constant infusion of reality TV that made "cutting the cord" easy.  You're right about how the exploits of pop-culture figures have now become actual news.  I recall a two-page spread on the fact that Brittney Spears likes to walk around barefoot (close-ups of her wandering into a public bathroom barefoot -- the horror!).  Infotainment is the word now.  (Man, I remember when Bird was the word!)

HorrorRetro

I'm too young to be a gammy.  Now I know how my mom felt when said those same words.  :o   My daughter had her ultrasound this morning, and she's having a girl.  I'm still trying to adjust to all this lol. 

analog kid

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 18, 2013, 01:12:00 PM
Hey, Horror Retro... Yeah, for us too it was pretty much the constant infusion of reality TV that made "cutting the cord" easy.  You're right about how the exploits of pop-culture figures have now become actual news.  I recall a two-page spread on the fact that Brittney Spears likes to walk around barefoot (close-ups of her wandering into a public bathroom barefoot -- the horror!).  Infotainment is the word now.  (Man, I remember when Bird was the word!)

We don't appear to be missing anything from cable news.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on June 18, 2013, 04:06:05 PM
I'm too young to be a gammy.  Now I know how my mom felt when said those same words.  :o   My daughter had her ultrasound this morning, and she's having a girl.  I'm still trying to adjust to all this lol.

Congrats to you, and your daughter, of course.  :)  I never wanted to be a grandma, either...'til I was one.
A whole new world awaits you.  It's amazing how different it is with grandchildren.  Get ready to ENJOY!!!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Treading Water on June 18, 2013, 04:59:02 PM

Congrats to you, and your daughter, of course.  :)  I never wanted to be a grandma, either...'til I was one.
A whole new world awaits you.  It's amazing how different it is with grandchildren.  Get ready to ENJOY!!!

i didn't think you were anywhere near old enough.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorRetro on June 18, 2013, 04:06:05 PM
Congrats, you said the same thing my mother said to us. Which is amusing to me because my grandmother had 4 kids after becoming grandmother(including my mother).

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Treading Water on June 18, 2013, 04:59:02 PM

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 18, 2013, 09:02:57 PM
         Congrats, you said the same thing my mother said to us. Which is amusing to me because my grandmother had 4 kids after becoming grandmother(including my mother).

Thanks.  I had a great-grandma who had her last child at around 50 or so.  I'm 44, and I don't think that's in the cards for me, but who knows.  I look in the mirror and don't see a grandma, but I think 40s are a lot different than they used to be. 

Quote from: HorrorRetro on June 18, 2013, 09:19:58 PM
Thanks.  I had a great-grandma who had her last child at around 50 or so.  I'm 44, and I don't think that's in the cards for me, but who knows.  I look in the mirror and don't see a grandma, but I think 40s are a lot different than they used to be.
Welcome to the club. I'm 43, and also a grand dad. 

I refuse to change my handle to RealCool Grandaddio, tho.