• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151012 - Dr. Dennis J. McKenna - Psychedelic Research - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 12, 2015, 05:02:28 PM

Barfly

Quote from: TigerLily on October 13, 2015, 12:56:00 AM
While you are looting the Vatican could you slip me the third secret of Fatima? and maybe some cool gold jewelry
That wouldn't matter, i declared god is dead, and the so called third secret has been out for a while, in fact all of them are BS.

Bounder

Quote from: TigerLily on October 13, 2015, 12:47:38 AM
Hi Bounder.  I don't think we have ever met.  How interesting I see you here for the first time when I am sporting your picture as an avatar.
I hope you don't mind. It's really an honorific for ponyboysunset and great respect for your artwork.

Don't mind at all.  Glad to meet you.

Good show it seems, only got here for the last hour. Didn't think much of posting so late in the game, some cool gifs on other threads! Glad to see it was "lit up" so to speak, on to braaaps!

DrCarl

So I actually woke up at 12:50 AM last night and caught some of MITD. Is it just me or did the guy Art was interviewing sound pretty well nuts? He couldn't keep a thought alive for two sentences. He is a great example of why one should not do drugs.

munbeam666

I really enjoyed the show. I hope Art has McKenna back on again in the future

aldousburbank

Quote from: DrCarl on October 13, 2015, 07:58:28 AM
So I actually woke up at 12:50 AM last night and caught some of MITD. Is it just me or did the guy Art was interviewing sound pretty well nuts? He couldn't keep a thought alive for two sentences. He is a great example of why one should not do drugs.
It's just you.

BobGrau

Yes! Sane guests only please... y'know, like Hoagland or John Lear.

shell88

I'd say this dude is pretty mixed up.  He doesn't know the difference between consciousness and the mind. That's a pretty important and vital distinction on any spiritual journey. imho

LAM4:2

I didn't listen to the show last night , but I looked at the Guest's name and did a double take. I got the guest confused with the late Terrence Mckenna.

albrecht

Quote from: LAM4:2 on October 13, 2015, 02:00:32 PM
I didn't listen to the show last night , but I looked at the Guest's name and did a double take. I got the guest confused with the late Terrence Mckenna.
His younger brother and frequent co-adventurer.

inuk2600

Quote from: shell88 on October 13, 2015, 10:57:45 AM
I'd say this dude is pretty mixed up.  He doesn't know the difference between consciousness and the mind. That's a pretty important and vital distinction on any spiritual journey. imho

Nonsense, to deny the possibility of conciousness being a part of the mind and an emergent consequence of all the chemistry churning away in our nervous system is to close the door to new discoveries and understanding of the true nature of spirituality and mental health.

shell88

Quote from: inuk2600 on October 13, 2015, 02:19:05 PM
Nonsense, to deny the possibility of conciousness being a part of the mind and an emergent consequence of all the chemistry churning away in our nervous system is to close the door to new discoveries and understanding of the true nature of spirituality and mental health.

Pure consciousness is clouded by the ego trying to verify it's exitence at all costs.  The ego is created by the mind.  Pure consciousness is the only thing that can undo the ego.  Few people ever venture to actually explore how the mind actually works.  You have to give up everything.  Insight meditation will clearly show you the two are different but they do influence one another. 

albrecht

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/human-brain-is-designed-to-give-us-hallucinations-scientists-say-a6691601.html
"Professor Paul Fletcher, from the Department of Psychiatry at Cambridge University, said: “Having a predictive brain makes us efficient and adept at creating a coherent picture of an ambiguous and complex world. But it also means we are not very far away from perceiving things that aren’t actually there, which is the definition of a hallucination."

Catsmile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPKnGJi-324

ziznak

I loved last nights show but I'm alittle biased due to my own life experience.  I found my use of mushrooms and LSD to be thoroughly introspective and life changing.  I would not have developed to be who I am today both psychologically and spiritually due to these experiences.  I don't advocate it's use for everybody but I must say some of the wisest people I have met in my life have also taken hallucinogenic drugs at some point.

pumaman

I enjoyed this show a lot.   It was fascinating and thought provoking.

ZomZom

Enjoyed this show more than I expected. I do think it's important to distinguish between insights and objective facts, or else you might get burned on that imaginary cigarette.  ::)

And the referenced research into the benefits of fatty foods reminded me of this favorite scene.

http://youtu.be/dFJopF6WJNw

doug

I can relate to this topic more than others. I've tripped on acid and shrooms, but I've never seen a UFO or had a paranormal experience.

I would recommend tripping to anybody who has done their research, really wants to do it, has some idea of what will happen, and is looking for a way of connecting. But if you're just trying to get wasted and see shit, stick with beer bongs.

I went to a really deep, dark quiet spot with my guitar and my friends and came out of it with a deeper, darker understanding and appreciation of my music, myself, and my friends.

It was not an escapist, mind-obliterating experience. I got what I was looking for, and then some.

I was lucky that I came along at a time when people were taking real illegal LSD, not toxic synthetic fake illegal LSD.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not preaching that people need to get with the program of tripping. It's just that I wanted it to do something good for me, and it did.

Art

Quote from: shell88 on October 13, 2015, 03:04:47 PM
Pure consciousness is clouded by the ego trying to verify it's exitence at all costs.  The ego is created by the mind.  Pure consciousness is the only thing that can undo the ego.  Few people ever venture to actually explore how the mind actually works.  You have to give up everything.  Insight meditation will clearly show you the two are different but they do influence one another.

Only Jesus Pure Consciousness can vanquish Satan The Ego.   

Got it.

doug

Quote from: Art Crow on October 13, 2015, 09:47:12 PM
Only Jesus Pure Consciousness can vanquish Satan The Ego.   

Got it.

Only Puritanism can vanquish vice.

Got with the program, you non-conformist druglitically-correct square?

lamr

Enjoyable time was had to be sure.

No, wait... my torsion field is mixed up.

Good guest.  Liked it.

CornyCrow

I thought it was interesting that addicts were being treated with psychedelics, that the drug (plus counselling) helped the individual to step outside of himself to do an evaluation and to be better enabled to control the situation rather than have it control him.  I remember when I, successfully the third time, quit smoking.  You did seem to have to find a self that was not part of the lower you that functioned close to the body throughout the day, maybe the inner parent. 

BobGrau

Quote from: ziznak on October 13, 2015, 05:42:48 PM
I loved last nights show but I'm alittle biased due to my own life experience.  I found my use of mushrooms and LSD to be thoroughly introspective and life changing.  I would not have developed to be who I am today both psychologically and spiritually due to these experiences.  I don't advocate it's use for everybody but I must say some of the wisest people I have met in my life have also taken hallucinogenic drugs at some point.

Nailed it.

by the way, I keep thinking you're a squirrel for some reason.

ziznak

Quote from: BobGrau on October 14, 2015, 06:25:24 AM
Nailed it.

by the way, I keep thinking you're a squirrel for some reason.
thankyou for your service!!!  I'm fairly tight with zeebo ya know... so maybe... ahem! Sqweak!! Anyways, where did I put those pistachios?