• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

McPhallus

Quote from: Sardondi on October 05, 2012, 10:27:41 PM
Answer: The vast majority of popular music post-1972; Laverne and Shirley, Three's Company, Charlie's Angels, The Love Boat, Mork and Mindy, Welcome Back Kotter, The Jeffersons, The Dukes of Hazzard, That's Incredible, The Golden Girls, Married...With Children, Roseanne, Who's The Boss, American Idol, Survivor, any reality program ever aired.

Question: Can you prove the following assertion - "Extreme popularity with the masses is a virtual guarantee that a thing is devoid of beauty, wit, grace, art or a worthy reason to exist."?

I can disprove it somewhat: Mona Lisa, Starry Night, Shakespeare, The Beatles (although I've never liked them at all).  All are likely overexposed and somewhat overrated, but they're at least worth the space they inhabit.

Sardondi

Quote from: McPhallus on October 06, 2012, 07:54:46 AM
I can disprove it somewhat: Mona Lisa, Starry Night, Shakespeare, The Beatles (although I've never liked them at all).  All are likely overexposed and somewhat overrated, but they're at least worth the space they inhabit.

Which is why qualifiers are used.

McPhallus

Quote from: Sardondi on October 06, 2012, 09:14:03 AM
Which is why qualifiers are used.

I think your assertion is generally correct; however, I would point out that while "good" and "popular" are often mutually exclusive, such is not always the case.  Our culture richly rewards those who appeal to the lowest common denominator.

The General

Quote from: Sardondi on October 05, 2012, 10:27:41 PM
Answer: The vast majority of popular music post-1972; Laverne and Shirley, Three's Company, Charlie's Angels, The Love Boat, Mork and Mindy, Welcome Back Kotter, The Jeffersons, The Dukes of Hazzard, That's Incredible, The Golden Girls, Married...With Children, Roseanne, Who's The Boss, American Idol, Survivor, any reality program ever aired.

Question: Can you prove the following assertion - "Extreme popularity with the masses is a virtual guarantee that a thing is devoid of beauty, wit, grace, art or a worthy reason to exist."?
Hey now, you leave them Duke boys outta this.

McPhallus

That the various cherry/berry liqueurs I've tried invariably taste like cough syrup. 

Eddie Coyle

Book blurbs.

Yesterday, I was just about to purchase a book by Daniel Goleman about "Emotional Intelligence" and I was about go to the counter with it...BOOM! I see on the back a major endorsement from Orca Winfrey's "Book Club". Well, I dropped that book like it was warm human fecal matter and bought something else instead.

Book blurbs never lead to my buying a book, instead it leads to my boycotting it. "Glenn Beck says..." "Rachel Maddow says.." well, Coyle says "eat shit and die, book blurbers"

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 05, 2012, 09:01:02 PM

You should see him now at 46...nothing has changed. Like Liberace used to tell Mike Douglas, he's "still looking for the right girl"...he's Richard Simmons without the money.

No wonder my grandmother treated me like royalty(I was the next grandson) as I ran around her yard playing whiffle ball, playing war and watching the Three Stooges and didn't ask "where'd you get those curtains grandma?"..(actual sentence uttered by him, Easter, 1976)

Gay Kid on Curb Your Enthusiasm

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on October 07, 2012, 12:42:01 AM

Gay Kid on Curb Your Enthusiasm
That is too funny. Get the feeling that kid ain't acting either.

I went to school to with a kid even gayer than that, who is actually on YouTube in quite a few videos because he became a PBS host in Miami. I hadn't seen him since 1991...and then a few years ago an old friend discovered our fruity classmate on YouTube.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 07, 2012, 01:00:10 AM
I hadn't seen him since 1991...and then a few years ago an old friend discovered our fruity classmate on YouTube.

i was around 9 when i first heard the word "fruity" or "fruit" used to refer to a gay person.  my recollection is i laughed so hard i pink socked.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on October 07, 2012, 01:04:29 AM

i was around 9 when i first heard the word "fruity" or "fruit" used to refer to a gay person.  my recollection is i laughed so hard i pink socked.

Same here. I learned the word "gay" some years after learning words like "fag" or "cumguzzler" or "fairy " or "pillow biter" or "knob gobbler" or "shit stabber" or "cuckoo for caca"

coaster

i will forever be haunted by "cumguzzler" I was two years of age. Saw my  grandmama for the first time. ( never got to see her) she embraced me and whispered "your grandad is such a cumguzzler" ive been traumatized ever since. and fuck you all for bringing up old memories.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: coaster on October 07, 2012, 01:17:27 AM
i will forever be haunted by "cumguzzler" I was two years of age. Saw my  grandmama for the first time. ( never got to see her) she embraced me and whispered "your grandad is such a cumguzzler" ive been traumatized ever since. and fuck you all for bringing up old memories.

Cool. That's what family is about.

My uncle called his sister(my aunt, duh) a "cum dumpster who fucked half guys in the projects" in front of us as kids. I was only shocked by the "half" part.

coaster

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 07, 2012, 01:21:42 AM
         Cool. That's what family is about.

My uncle called his sister(my aunt, duh) a "cum dumpster who fucked half guys in the projects" in front of us as kids. I was only shocked by the "half" part.
christ. i was joking, my drunken jokes fall so flat..i do know what youre talking about though. believe me. i could honestly write a book.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: coaster on October 07, 2012, 01:28:57 AM
christ. i was joking, my drunken jokes fall so flat..i do know what youre talking about though. believe me. i could honestly write a book.

You have my empathy on many counts there.

I get the feeling there is a book being written on me, but I'll be referred to as "unnamed outpatient"

ziznak

LOL damn I havent heard "cumdumpster" in quite some time.... I don't know whether to be happy people still use it or somewhat depressed due to it's meaning... what a horrible word to call a woman... I myself would be very cautious with putting that bullet in the chamber... yet I've had quite a few of them fired off in my day lol.... thanks for a great laugh

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ziznak on October 07, 2012, 02:35:18 AM
LOL damn I havent heard "cumdumpster" in quite some time.... I don't know whether to be happy people still use it or somewhat depressed due to it's meaning... what a horrible word to call a woman... I myself would be very cautious with putting that bullet in the chamber... yet I've had quite a few of them fired off in my day lol.... thanks for a great laugh

I still say it all the time, but I'm old fashioned like that. The conversation between my aunt and uncle that had that word utilized was in November, 1984...a very Waltons-like moment. Thing is..the hyperbole in the allegation wasn't that far off.

ziznak

people NEVER use cumdumpster lightly... unless she's just doing her job

coaster

"GOD" and how everyone lives their shit accordingly... Dont get me wrong. I love faith. I absolutely love that someone can  have faith, live right  and raise a wonderful family. I just hate that they surround their life around someone thats not them. believing in a god means youre not responsible for what you do. Im glad people believe in god. but, man the fuck up already. but dont thank god because of your trivial shit. i made a great dinner, thank god. traffic didnt stop me thank god. my kid got a great scorre thank god. if god gave a shit about the trivial...
babies have cancer. opps. people die for no reason..oops. people are killing innocent people in my name..oops/  i have a fucking flat tire, wheres fucking god when i need him.

ziznak

If you think enough you'll realize that "god" in any lexicon comes down to a misunderstanding that life has no meaning and we are all just bags of flesh waiting for our moment to splash against a bus or slowly leak into a bucket in some "hopefully" quiet hospital somewhere.

Quote from: ziznak on October 07, 2012, 03:14:59 AM
... or slowly leak into a bucket in some "hopefully" quiet hospital somewhere.

He went quietly.  The last thing he heard was George Noory talking to Roseanne about Tahiti Village..

ziznak

damn my ears.... i'll let my mountain dew drip  into a different bucket

McPhallus

Quote from: coaster on October 07, 2012, 03:08:16 AM
"GOD" and how everyone lives their shit accordingly... Dont get me wrong. I love faith. I absolutely love that someone can  have faith, live right  and raise a wonderful family. I just hate that they surround their life around someone thats not them. believing in a god means youre not responsible for what you do. Im glad people believe in god. but, man the fuck up already. but dont thank god because of your trivial shit. i made a great dinner, thank god. traffic didnt stop me thank god. my kid got a great scorre thank god. if god gave a shit about the trivial...
babies have cancer. opps. people die for no reason..oops. people are killing innocent people in my name..oops/  i have a fucking flat tire, wheres fucking god when i need him.

Thank god for this thread.

b_dubb

Quote from: coaster on October 07, 2012, 03:08:16 AM
I won't say you're wrong here. This is the kind of crap they spoon feed people at super churches these days. but that's not what I believe or what they preach at my church www.brethren.org

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 05, 2012, 03:30:24 PM

I go into the supermarket, hoping to be in and out in roughly 10 minutes.

Mission accomplished.

I didn't know they'd plant two of the most odious ear-worms ever...Geno Vannelli's "I Just Want To Stop" and "The Way We Were" by Barbara Streisand.

Yes, those two songs were just played back to back. On Oct 5, 2012. I'd understand if I was stuck in a supermarket in the Carter Adminstration...but NOW? ???

I rescind this commentary of roughly 76 hours ago.

Today, I spent about a minute in a convenience store and heard the last 30 seconds of a song by that pork chop faced Taylor Swift, and the first 30 seconds of a song by that brain dead hussy Katy Perry.I apologize to Geno Vanelli and Barbara Streisand profusely. Their music is high art compared to the offal I heard today.

I'm annoyed that on that trip in that rotten store, I give the clerk a 10 dollar bill for a pack of smokes and bag of Smartfood and get a dime back. And it's not because he "gypped" me.

HorrorRetro

Sciatica pisses me off.  >:(  I have an ass load of course work I need to get done, and I can't find a single chair or position that I can sit in for more than 5 minutes.   I break up my study with exercise.  I did 13 miles last night.  I'm working on 60 miles a week.  Nothing is helping. 

ChewMouse

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 09, 2012, 04:54:55 PM
Sciatica pisses me off.  >:(  I have an ass load of course work I need to get done, and I can't find a single chair or position that I can sit in for more than 5 minutes.   I break up my study with exercise.  I did 13 miles last night.  I'm working on 60 miles a week.  Nothing is helping.
What did you do for 13 miles? Running, biking, walking...?

HorrorRetro

Quote from: ChewMouse on October 09, 2012, 05:09:52 PM
What did you do for 13 miles? Running, biking, walking...?

Indoor biking lol.  I have a Schwinn Airdyne, which provides both upper and lower body workout.  I also have an elliptical that I mix it up with several times a week.

ChewMouse

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 09, 2012, 05:15:21 PM
Indoor biking lol.  I have a Schwinn Airdyne, which provides both upper and lower body workout.  I also have an elliptical that I mix it up with several times a week.
Respect.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 09, 2012, 04:54:55 PM

you've already tried the chiropractor i'm assuming?

HorrorRetro

Quote from: MV on October 09, 2012, 05:28:30 PM

you've already tried the chiropractor i'm assuming?

No chiro.  Military health care doesn't cover it.  Have tried physical therapy and the usual stretching, but it always comes back.  Might have to bite the bullet and try a chiro and pay out of pocket.