• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

inuk2600

Quote from: Catsmile on April 20, 2015, 06:41:58 PM

Not implying don't to use Tunein, just allow both streams be accessible by other means as well.
Thanks.

The main portals for web users will probably be artbell.com and darkmatterradio.net .
I'm sure both those sites will have a built in player as well as a list of links to tunein and popular playlist style links for media players. It will work, lot's of time to iron it out.

PrairieGhost

VLC which is free will play almost any type of stream.

cosmic hobo

Ideally you would want a button on the artbell.com website that once clicked will take you to a working stream no matter what device you are using.

Cutting and pasting links into a myriad of different players and browsers to see which ones will or won't work could be too much for some.

It has to be idiot proof to mitigate the "I can't hear the stream" emails.

Morgus

Quote from: laserjock on April 20, 2015, 06:25:07 PM
Ok, on 8radio.com's website they have a flashplayer for PC users option that works, so I see what you are saying, it has to work with flash or silverlight or what have you...

Oh, ok, it's because these are all AAC codec plays, I was under the impression that it wasn't just AAC.  I understand now.

the 8radio.com website also has this on their page:
8RADIO Streaming
You can link directly to our streams by clicking on the links below:
48K AAC+ Stream Port 80
96K MP3 Stream
You can download Winamp from HERE     or VLC Player from HERE.

Needle woman

Quote from: Art Bell on April 20, 2015, 04:31:26 PM
Ok this is really cool, try this link and compare, the 48k vs higher MP3 stream. Opinions please.

http://tunein.com/radio/8Radiocom-943-s162354/?streamid=5242519

Art

Crystal clear!

Catsmile

Quote from: inuk2600 on April 20, 2015, 06:53:26 PM
The main portals for web users will probably be artbell.com and darkmatterradio.net .
I'm sure both those sites will have a built in player as well as a list of links to tunein and popular playlist style links for media players. It will work, lot's of time to iron it out.

I agree 100%. I'm being so pedantic because I want Art to say that himself here, so it will alleviate the ire of the people who are having troubles with TuneIn through browsers. But alas no response yet. Somethin Goin On, protest did cause me LULZ, but s/he had a point. Art could clear it up in one sentence.

inuk2600

Quote from: cosmic hobo on April 20, 2015, 07:08:28 PM
Ideally you would want a button on the artbell.com website that once clicked will take you to a working stream no matter what device you are using.

Cutting and pasting links into a myriad of different players and browser to see which ones will or won't work could be too much for some.

If all else fails, ask a teenager in your neighborhood to come fix it and give him a $20.

Catsmile

Quote from: cosmic hobo on April 20, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

Cutting and pasting links into a myriad of different players and browsers to see which ones will or won't work could be too much for some.

Keith can create links/buttons that will be able to open your media player of choice, and play your stream format of choice with a playlist file. No sweat, if they desire so.
You can even favorite/bookmark/save the link in said media players, for quick access to the stream.

Disheartened

Quote from: sorefinger on April 20, 2015, 05:16:49 AM
Excellent work-around, installing an older version of TuneIn.

BTW, where did you get the older copy of TuneIn?  I have an old Android that I keep in my glove box, for backup, WiFi only, that I may need an even older version of TuneIn to make work.

Here. http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/tunein-radio

gabrielle

Sounds clear as a bell up here in Tasty Canada

Art Bell

Keith will have players on the Web site. Tune in is not for you geeks, it is for the masses who have pretty much no idea what they are doing. We will have a 48 Kbps AAC stream and a 48 MP3 so it will not matter on tune in what you are using it will default to whatever your device can handle. So we just tell people get the free tune in app put my name in and listen.

Art

Catsmile

Quote from: Art Bell on April 20, 2015, 07:37:12 PM
Keith will have players on the Web site. Tune in is not for you geeks, it is for the masses who have pretty much no idea what they are doing. We will have a 48 Kbps AAC stream and a 48 MP3 so it will not matter on tune in what you are using it will default to whatever your device can handle. So we just tell people get the free tune in app put my name in and listen.

Art

Thank you very much for the quick response, and for putting in it print.
Many have breathed a sigh of relief.
<Tips Hat> Good, Sir.

jazmunda

So we just tell people get the free tune in app put my name in and listen.

Art

I hope the bad spellers don't get my late night cake making podcast coincidentally named Midnight in the Dessert.

bateman

Quote from: jazmunda on April 20, 2015, 07:51:20 PM
I hope the bad spellers don't get my late night cake making podcast coincidentally named Midnight in the Dessert.

Well that obviously has nothing to do with Art, because Ma Bell mentioned on the show once that "he likes very plain food."

WOTR

it is for the unwashed masses who have pretty much no idea what they are doing.
That's better... I have been waiting for somebody to use that reference for quite some time...

On a side note, any stream sounds the same right now.  The last computer had a nice set of speakers that I have not moved over.  I have a sound card- because at heart I love my music and good sound.  However, right now I have a single, crappy 1" speaker hooked in (what a waste of a card...)  While I will change this in the next week or so, I think you may find that the majority of the audience has this as a permanent set-up.

Art

And all feels well now.
Ford in his Flivver!

Morgus

Quote from: wotr1 on April 20, 2015, 08:16:50 PMright now I have a single, crappy 1" speaker hooked in (what a waste of a card...)  While I will change this in the next week or so, I think you may find that the majority of the audience has this as a permanent set-up.
or another common case of small smartphone with one tinny speaker.
a low bitrate mono mp3 stream is plenty for these and might help those with limited cell data plans without wifi?

Art Bell

When you buy a smartphone they give you these cool headphones (earbuds) boy do they sound good.

Art

laserjock

Quote from: wotr1 on April 20, 2015, 08:16:50 PM
That's better... I have been waiting for somebody to use that reference for quite some time...

On a side note, any stream sounds the same right now.  The last computer had a nice set of speakers that I have not moved over.  I have a sound card- because at heart I love my music and good sound.  However, right now I have a single, crappy 1" speaker hooked in (what a waste of a card...)  While I will change this in the next week or so, I think you may find that the majority of the audience has this as a permanent set-up.

I hear ya, I've got a set of 30 dollar or whatever Logitech 2.1's and I really miss the good speakers I had to abandon a few years ago during a move.  One of my goals is to get some real speakers, probably buy some used, as soon as possible.  In my opinion, the most effective way to improve sound is the speakers.  My motherboard has pretty decent on board sound (it's even shielded), and while an expensive sound card might have some benefit, it would be almost senseless without good headphones or speakers.  One way to do it would be to buy a receiver system with good speakers and connect it, I think I'll start checking the local used junk stores, sometimes there's a diamond in the rough at them.

Quote from: Art Bell on April 20, 2015, 08:45:15 PM
When you buy a smartphone they give you these cool headphones (earbuds) boy do they sound good.

Art
True they sound better. The I phone sounds pretty good even on speaker. If people want to upgrade there are plenty of Bluetooth speakers that have really high quality for sale.

Art

I actually like tunein. Works very well and has never crashed for me. Stream old art bell shows al the time on it.

jazmunda

Art

I used those earbuds as the microphone when I spoke to you on Dark Matter and I think I sounded better than you. :P

Kidding.

laserjock

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 20, 2015, 08:47:44 PM
True they sound better. The I phone sounds pretty good even on speaker. If people want to upgrade there are plenty of Bluetooth speakers that have really high quality for sale.

Actually, in my opinion, and in some other people's opinion, bluetooth speakers are often not so good.  Bluetooth devices have to supply their own amplification and often have crappier (not always) and won't take advantage of a source product's better amp.

The best IEM's you can buy can run into several hundred dollars and are ALL wired, the bluetooth products don't come anywhere close.

This list is ever expanding and some of the best products aren't even too expensive:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-336-iems-compared-gorilla-ears-gx-4b-added-04-17-15-p-1053

I had some iMetal 590's that were incredible until the wires broke on them.

What is important to know is that brand name doesn't necessarily mean much with IEMs and even with over the ear headphones and even speakers, buying by brand name won't insure you get a good deal.  Headfi is one of a few good sites to help select based on a person's particular needs, we all hear differently, for instance, I'm an old man and need strong, breathy highs more than accentuated bass.

I haven't found a speaker list like this, I'd love to find one.  YMMV, of course.

Art
Yes, until one earbud stops working ;D

starrmtn001

Quote from: Aussie Dave on April 20, 2015, 05:33:17 PM
The link does not work in any browser on Windows 7 PC.

Sounds great on iPhone via Tunein app.
It works in Chrome on my Windows 7 Laptop, but it does not work in Firefox.

laserjock

That's the problem with IEMs, they offer MUCH better sound for the dollar than speakers, and are portable, but the wires on them eventally break internally, or the cans fall apart (I've had both things happen), but man the sound can be incredible.  The phones that come with phones (see what I did there?) really aren't all that good when you get a chance to listen with a good pair.  I will admit though that it depends partly on the sound quality of the phone or portable device.  For instance, the sound from my iPhone 4S is hugely inferior to my Cowon D2 (a very old personal media player with incredible sound in a not so good interfaced package).  If I go from the D2 to my iphone listening to the same music, I often go "blech!"  Some Android phones have much better audio sound, but the best PMP products always sound better, Cowon make some of the best ones, too bad they don't offer a phone!

laserjock

Of course, earbuds aren't really IEMs (in ear monitors), buds are disk shaped and don't isolate or fit snugly, whereas IEMs seal into the ear and isolate well and always have superior sound.  For less than 100 bucks you can get sound so exquisite that you won't care about getting a fancy speaker system as much.

Art Bell

Well let's consider, a AM station fading up and down with crackles in the background  mono vs 48kbps Stereo in your ear, hmmm hard one!

Art

laserjock

Mwa ha haah, indeed.  Going back to AM radio would be torture for me.  I bet, Art, that you could give pointers on Mics since your a HAM radio man...

cosmic hobo

Quote from: Art Bell on April 20, 2015, 09:45:00 PM
Well let's consider, a AM station fading up and down with crackles in the background  mono vs 48kbps Stereo in your ear, hmmm hard one!

Art

Some of us are nostalgic for the 90s Art. I for one will be listening under the duvet covers so my mom and pop think I'm asleep. I'm sure my wife will be impressed.