• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

ItsOver

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 05, 2013, 04:01:51 AM
This time our story was of GN's childhood, when he wanted to grow up to be a baseball player and his mom would play baseball with him. I have never played baseball with my mom because 1) I can hit and 2) I have friends my own age. I'm guessing Noory was missing both. 

"I guess it is ok to believe in magic sometimes"

Jorch as a baseball player?  What next, Jorch reminiscing about his lost opportunity for pro wrestling?  Come on, Jorch, really let your hair down (or take the toupe off) and tell us about your fond times playing with your My Little Pony.

Sleepwalker

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 05, 2013, 10:53:56 AM
I don't think that scenario would ever happen.  Coast to Coast AM doesn't seem very interested in presenting facts that have been acquired through hundreds of years of scholarly and scientific study.  They would rather have people who have little classical training in their subject matter but have a lot of conjecture, unrestrained reasoning, and circumstantial evidence to support unusual ideas that would be blown out of the water by someone with a classical education in the relevant field.  Usually, they then tell us 'big science' is out to get them.  Sure, they will have the odd person who is properly educated in their area if that person has put themselves in the popular spotlight but generally it is rare. 

For example, instead of interviewing one of the hundreds of thousands of petroleum engineers, geologists, geophysicists etc. about his abiotic oil hypothesis (he calls it a theory -- it is not), George opted to interview someone who thinks petroleum cannot be made from dead organisms because he dug up the dog he buried as a child and it hadn't turned to oil.

I think you're right.  They still call Richard Hoagland their "Science advisor."  If he has any credentials at all, I can't find them by Googling his name.

Quote from: Sleepwalker on May 05, 2013, 02:19:57 PM
I think you're right.  They still call Richard Hoagland their "Science advisor."  If he has any credentials at all, I can't find them by Googling his name.

As I understand, he was a science museum curator for a number of years but has no noteworthy training in science.  Phil Plait does a big thing on his credentials here:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/hoagland/credentials.html

I hadn't looked at it in awhile but a quick scan reveals no educational claims.  All I can say is it seems clear from the things Hoagland says that he doesn't even have a full understanding of the scientific method.

edit:  This one is even better:
http://www.gpposner.com/Hoagland.html

I hope it is okay for me to post these article links.

Morgus

Remember, Hoagland also claimed to be Walter Cronkite's and NASA science adviser during the Apollo moon landing missions in the late 60s...

ItsOver

Crap... The Nooron is on tonight with the ear-numbing submerging artists.   :P   Not a good way to start the week.

Nebraska888

Quote from: ItsOver on May 05, 2013, 06:02:30 PM
Crap... The Nooron is on tonight with the ear-numbing submerging artists.   :P   Not a good way to start the week.

UGH.    >:(

NoMoreNoory

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 05, 2013, 10:53:56 AM
I don't think that scenario would ever happen.  Coast to Coast AM doesn't seem very interested in presenting facts that have been acquired through hundreds of years of scholarly and scientific study.  They would rather have people who have little classical training in their subject matter but have a lot of conjecture, unrestrained reasoning, and circumstantial evidence to support unusual ideas that would be blown out of the water by someone with a classical education in the relevant field.  Usually, they then tell us 'big science' is out to get them.  Sure, they will have the odd person who is properly educated in their area if that person has put themselves in the popular spotlight but generally it is rare. 

For example, instead of interviewing one of the hundreds of thousands of petroleum engineers, geologists, geophysicists etc. about his abiotic oil hypothesis (he calls it a theory -- it is not), George opted to interview someone who thinks petroleum cannot be made from dead organisms because he dug up the dog he buried as a child and it hadn't turned to oil.

I would appear on the show, Sleepwalker (having asked the relevant follow-up questions), but this is spot on. Indeed, Coast - or Noory and Wells to be precise - have been running a distinctly anti-science line for a while, and it seems to be getting stronger as the months go by. Very little 'hard science' is heard on Coast anymore. The 'scientific method' is constantly vilified and demonized as an intractable mindset that dismisses or refuses to acknowledge ideas that challenge it or which do not fit its 'agenda'. Precisely the opposite is the case, of course.
It may be very comforting to Joorch to want to belief in a Creator, for example, or to hold vaguely defined ideas about 'intelligent design'. It fits his Sunday School theology and no doubt pleases his mom, but it won't do as a model of the observable universe without evidence to support it. Similarly, denigrating evolution to the status of a theory to give the impression that it has no more veracity than Creationism is a falsification. Evolution is not a theory. It is backed by hard evidence. The chain may be incomplete, but that only tells us that the picture is incomplete, not that the picture is wrong. I refer back to The Idiot's condescension to Stephen Hawking the other week when Hawking said there  was no need for a Creator to make the Big Bang happen. The same is true of Planet X, the Annunaki, aliens building the pyramids, apartment blocks on Mars, abiotic oil etc, etc, etc.
Noory increasingly reminds me of a hamster on an exercise wheel, running frantically and going nowhere. He operates entirely within his comfort zone. The same subjects are dealt with again and again. Look at this week upcoming: subjects only just covered being revisited. He has a closed, unenquiring, unimaginative, anti-intellectual mindset: the precise opposite of what is required to host C2C, in my opinion.

Histronic Fop

Quote from: ItsOver on May 05, 2013, 11:28:45 AMJorch as a baseball player?  What next, Jorch reminiscing about his lost opportunity for pro wrestling?
GN doesn't have the personality to be a wrestler. He'd be all like, "Wrasslin' isn't about fightin' and yellin'..."  And can you imagine him in tights?

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on May 05, 2013, 08:33:27 PM

... He (George) has a closed, unenquiring, unimaginative, anti-intellectual mindset: the precise opposite of what is required to host C2C, in my opinion.

I'm not even sure what he has qualifies as being a mindset.

michio

Georgie has one of the creepiest laughs I've heard. He's such a phony.

nextgen.fm

I love it when he interrupts people.

He sounds like such an oaf.

El Kragen

This interview is just awful. George sounds like his normal idiot self and this woman sounds like a jackass. I won't say the first emerging artist sucks but it sounds like someone recorded it in their basement using a little casio keyboard.

Morgus

Noory is talking about "rude people" in the first hour tonight.
How ironic since Noory doesn't seem to realize he himself is one of those rude people, he is rude to lots of the guests and callers - dumping them without warning and interrupting them all the time with his lame stories...

michio

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 05, 2013, 02:56:34 PM
As I understand, he was a science museum curator for a number of years but has no noteworthy training in science.  Phil Plait does a big thing on his credentials here:

I have a "gut feeling" Plait was banned from appearing on any further Coast shows due to his visible distaste for anti-vaxers and their poisonous mis/disinformation venom. I want to clarify I've never heard this affirmed by Phil, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the case.

Quote from: Morgus on May 05, 2013, 11:49:19 PM
How ironic since Noory doesn't seem to realize he himself is one of those rude people, he is rude to lots of the guests and callers - dumping them without warning and interrupting them all the time with his lame stories...

I wondered about that when he asked if it was okay to be rude to a server at a restaurant.  He may have been asking just to alert people to the idea that this wasn't an okay thing to do, but it sounded more like he was trying to justify his own personal behaviour.

Morgus

Noory just said his guest's book title is "I see Rude People"
She should be pointing at him while she says that... :D

Quote from: michio on May 05, 2013, 11:52:47 PM
I have a "gut feeling" Plait was banned from appearing on any further Coast shows due to his visible distaste for anti-vaxers and their poisonous mis/disinformation venom. I want to clarify I've never heard this affirmed by Phil, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the case.

I'm sorry but.. what's a vaxer?

edit: oh.. an anti-vaxer is someone who refuses to use vaccines?

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 05, 2013, 11:54:23 PM
I wondered about that when he asked if it was okay to be rude to a server at a restaurant.  He may have been asking just to alert people to the idea that this wasn't an okay thing to do, but it sounded more like he was trying to justify his own personal behaviour.

I bet Noory is horrible to service staff.  He has probably received many "extra shpecial" additives to his food over the years for being an A$$ Hat to the "help".

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 05, 2013, 11:54:23 PM

George does this A LOT.  Asking a question in such a way to make himself seem either brain dead or a jerk.  And this is a person who has all day and a full staff to formulate questions his.  How can he not be aware he is doing this?

He has such a poor grasp of the language and a complete lack of interviewing ability.

Quote from: Roy Hinkley on May 06, 2013, 12:05:24 AM
I bet Noory is horrible to service staff.  He has probably received many "extra shpecial" additives to his food over the years for being an A$$ Hat to the "help".

Maybe sometimes, during diva moments.

I'd bet he is a creepy, trying-too-hard-to-be-their-friend doofus to the guys - complete with plenty of handshakes, backslaps, and 'good-tuh-see-yuh's', and just plain creepy to the women.

mombird3

How about Mama Cass "In crowd." Noory sounds like it.

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: Paper*Boy on May 06, 2013, 12:13:54 AM

Maybe sometimes, during diva moments.

I'd bet he is a creepy, trying-too-hard-to-be-their-friend doofus to the guys - complete with plenty of handshakes, backslaps, and 'good-tuh-see-yuh's', and just plain creepy to the women.
Sounds spot on.  I would absolutely love to be a fly on the wall to see how he is.  If he is as clueless as he is on the air to 600 million listeners, just think how he acts when he has his guard down and is trying to be the cool local celebrity with his posse of one - Tommie...

WOTR

Quote from: Morgus on May 05, 2013, 11:57:44 PM
Noory just said his guest's book title is "I see Rude People"
She should be pointing at him while she says that... :D
With the stories she tells about what she does and how she handles things I would say she can probably point one finger at him and one at herself when she says it.  To be posting peoples info on the web because they were too loud at Starbux?  Wow- rather than growing a spine and asking the person directly to be quieter she sneaks through the backdoor- nice.  The person is having a conversation about their medical plan that leads me to believe they are probably already dealing with an illness and stress and she is compounding it with calls from strangers.  Yeah George- what a great guest.

This, by the way from somebody with Aspergers that can recognize how her way of dealing with things just leads to more misery, suffering and rudeness (talking about posting people on the web and that maybe they will be fired because of something they did in public that you do not approve of?)  Perhaps a car can nail her on the way home and we can live in a nicer, more humane and less rude world.  (That would be the Aspergers shining through and I would have no problem suggesting it to her even if I appear rude.)  I can tell you that I would rather somebody just mention that I am too loud rather than sneaking around taping me, posting my info or whatever else this sterling example of a human being does in her moments of self righteous anger.

Being an insomniac I volunteer to call her at 3:30 in the morning from a payphone to discuss her manners.  In high school I worked doing bookings with clients who had not re-booked their lawn care one year.  I called one woman- she got her husband.  I waited 5 minutes and he comes on cursing, swearing and screaming- he continued for a few minutes until he ran out of steam and hung up.  I had never even got out where I was calling from.  Two weeks later I called between 2 and 4 in the morning three nights in a row from a payphone to inform her and her husband that there are better ways to get their jollies that cursing out somebody who holds your phone number.

Yes- I am a bad person.  But I did not write a book slamming other bad people.

Juan

George to Klimo - "There are a lot of people out there who know science better than the scientists."

jinwicked

Quote from: Morgus on May 05, 2013, 11:49:19 PM

Is it... is it possible he is trolling us... I don't really think he is that clever, but.

Quote from: WOTR
With the stories she tells about what she does and how she handles things I would say she can probably point one finger at him and one at herself when she says it.  To be posting peoples info on the web because they were too loud at Starbux?  Wow- rather than growing a spine and asking the person directly to be quieter she sneaks through the backdoor- nice.  The person is having a conversation about their medical plan that leads me to believe they are probably already dealing with an illness and stress and she is compounding it with calls from strangers.  Yeah George- what a great guest.

No part of what you described there is okay. Someone needs to introduce 4chan to this woman so she can learn the meaning of harassment.

Today people work harder and are more stressed than ever. Try responding to rudeness with some kindness, and see what happens.

jinwicked

Checked out Ms. Alkon's blog. She should make up her mind whether she wants to be Miss Manners or Ann Coulter.

Quote from: UFO Fill on May 06, 2013, 04:05:09 AM
George to Klimo - "There are a lot of people out there who know science better than the scientists."

And here I thought scientists were lying to us.  I guess nice guy George is giving them the benefit of the doubt.