• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

LouSheehan

Quote from: albrecht on October 18, 2015, 04:45:38 PM
Not to mention, cough-cough, South Africa (who cares because a dead white guys killing other dead whites guys or least putting them into camps) or India (probably more social justice warriors would jump in here) on Churchill's watch. Love the guy and his speeches and books are great, and we can't discount his leadership, and predictions, but he had some things wrong.

Very much wrong.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on October 18, 2015, 05:07:26 PM
Though I don't deserve accolades as Morgus (and some others) I listen to Norry to kill time. Usually when operating loud things and as a sound-suppression system; mowing lawn, working in garage and air compressor on, power-washing deck, using the chainsaw etc. Because the droning cancels loud noise and there is some comedy, inadvertent admittedly, there. With Art? I find I want to listen and even minor chores take the back seat. I also listen to C2C via a replay mechanism so no commercials and no arbitron ratings...so not feeding the iHate beast. My 2 cents.
Whenever I want to generate annoying sounds and chainsaws, leaf blowers, or the Kardashians won't do, I just turn on Noory.  It works every time.  My neighbors love me.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 18, 2015, 05:17:25 PM
I stopped listening to George over Oates, that was the last straw that proved to me that the show was being run by some very petty negative corporate culture people. I  tried to listen to one show recently because I was interested in the guest and it was just mind numbing how poor C2C is now. No decent questions asked, no engagement, seemingly no familiarity with the guest, just poor interviewing all around. It's degraded even more than when I still listened regularly. 

Contrast that to Art, when he broke this story it stopped me in my tracks and my ears radar locked on the show. I couldn't even post in the live thread as Art covered it about it because I was that focused on the content of the broadcast. 

As Art continues to gain affiliates, Dave is going get his ass kicked. It's one broadcaster at the top of his game vs. another that's at the bottom.

Yeah.  I did leave for several years after Art became less of a fixture, but more recently I came back and listened every night with the hope that the occasional good guest would turn out a gem.  Noory's incompetence ruined even those shows.  His questions are superficial and repetitive.  He never pulls it out of neutral or goes into anything in depth because it's far beyond his intellect to even understand the basic introductory stuff.  I've probably gotten absolutely nothing out of all those nights of Coast.  Most of his guests are pretty pathetic and unchanging anyway.  When a host has a panel on a technical issue like vaccination and he's using all his old regulars with no particular expertise in the subject, you know there is a problem

albrecht

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 18, 2015, 05:18:30 PM
You've mentioned mowing the lawn to Noory several times.  Do you use noise cancelling earphones, or ram some earbuds into your Ear muffs?  I do my best to protect my hearing (sadly, unsuccessfully) so don't want to use an even louder sound to cover up the mower.  Just curious what you do?
Thanks. I'm aware! And agree. I use ear muffs and the earbuds under them, not turned up loud at all. Too many concerts, shooting, and etc in days of yore- so I still value my ears, despite history. So, basically, the Norry drones on a low enough volume to hear some mispronunciations and amazingly ridiculous claims and questions but loud noises blocked out.

Quote from: albrecht on October 18, 2015, 05:25:57 PM
Thanks. I'm aware! And agree. I use ear muffs and the earbuds under them, not turned up loud at all. Too many concerts, shooting, and etc in days of yore- so I still value my ears, despite history. So, basically, the Norry drones on a low enough volume to hear some mispronunciations and amazingly ridiculous claims and questions but loud noises blocked out.

hehe, sounds about right :D

albrecht

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 18, 2015, 05:24:23 PM
Yeah.  I did leave for several years after Art became less of a fixture, but more recently I came back and listened every night with the hope that the occasional good guest would turn out a gem.  Noory's incompetence ruined even those shows.  His questions are superficial and repetitive.  He never pulls it out of neutral or goes into anything in depth because it's far beyond his intellect to even understand the basic introductory stuff.  I've probably gotten absolutely nothing out of all those nights of Coast.  Most of his guests are pretty pathetic and unchanging anyway.  When a host has a panel on a technical issue like vaccination and he's using all his old regulars with no particular expertise in the subject, you know there is a problem
It would be karmic, to be using the term in the popular understanding, if Art used the iHate method and poached their guests- even afterwards because there have been several recently who were interesting; and with an engaged host and callers could be really good. But, personally, I like Art's idea of moving on and going forward to the future- across all spectrum of listening and caller/listener engagement. And getting new guests, though also like returning to some old ones.

Morgus

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 18, 2015, 04:44:51 PM
My guess would be bad coordination between Dave and the employee that does the facebook posting. Actually the whole thing is stupid, there's nothing to debunk. No one, including Art, has said that this is anything more than a possibility. It just happens to be one hell of a possibility. It's a great story and Dave seems to have missed the point and just used it to take a jab.

Yep Noory apparently was just miffed that Art reported on the story first and Noory only barely mentioned it on c2c later that night.  After his staff was turned down to appear on c2c by the astronomer in the article, Noory then assumed that meant it was all just bunk...

But even Michio Kaku appeared on a CBS News TV program and commented on it and didn't debunk it but considered the possibility of a type 2 civilization creating a megastructure...

K_Dubb

Art and his guest did a great job laying out what the discovery actually was:  a weirdly flickering star like we've never seen before.  That's all anybody knows.  Artificial structures are just one of many possibilities, many of which may be natural things we've never seen.  There's really nothing to debunk at this point, and Dave talking about "truth" is woefully premature.

Art trusts his audience to be comfortable with and enjoy possibilities and uncertainties -- that's what I like about him.  There are plenty of purveyors of black-and-white truth out there; we like playing in the gray.

inuk2600

Quote from: Morgus on October 18, 2015, 05:37:07 PM
Yep Noory apparently was just miffed that Art reported on the story first and Noory only barely mentioned it on c2c later that night.  After his staff was turned down to appear on c2c by the astronomer in the article, Noory then assumed that meant it was all just bunk...

But even Michio Kaku appeared on a CBS News TV program and commented on it and didn't debunk it but considered the possibility of a type 2 civilization creating a megastructure...

A guy's gotta be pretty dull to poo poo the most fascinating possibility when it's supposed to be the show's freaking format. I mean what a betrayal to the listeners.

jazmunda

Quote from: inuk2600 on October 18, 2015, 05:48:19 PM
A guy's gotta be pretty dull to poo poo the most fascinating possibility when it's supposed to be the show's freaking format. I mean what a betrayal to the listeners.

If there was even a 0.00000000002% possibility that the megastructures were stealing money out of your paycheck and causing cancer in your pets then it would be worthy of a Noory story.

AppealPlay

It's an angelic portal.

Freyja

Quote from: ItsOver on October 18, 2015, 05:08:44 PM
Noory always tries to use that as an excuse for the crap that has become C2C.  Funny how there isn't a "George Knapp Sucks!" thread with thousands of posts over the years.  No, Noory, it's not because you're not Art.  You just plain suck.

+++++1...bang on! ...and one of the main reasons Dave sucks is because for him, it has never been about the show or the audience...it has always been about him and his ego.

Add to this,  that he never preps for a show or guest, nor does he listen to his guests or callers, nor does he have a plan or clue where he wants to take a topic. He comes across like some ego maniacal talking head going through the motions.

The only thing I give him kudos for is showing up every night...but who cares because I'm not listening....

jaz...I tried to like him too because I really did love the show. After many nights of screaming at my radio and pulling my hair out, I gave up and turned him off.

I honestly can't believe he is still on the air, however I guess the world has become so dumbed down that it's just a reflection of this  :( 

LouSheehan

Quote from: Freyja on October 18, 2015, 06:08:27 PM
+++++1...bang on! ...and one of the main reasons Dave sucks is because for him, it has never been about the show or the audience...it has always been about him and his ego.

Add to this,  that he never preps for a show or guest, nor does he listen to his guests or callers, nor does he have a plan or clue where he wants to take a topic. He comes across like some ego maniacal talking head going through the motions.

The only thing I give him kudos for is showing up every night...but who cares because I'm not listening....

jaz...I tried to like him too because I really did love the show. After many nights of screaming at my radio and pulling my hair out, I gave up and turned him off.

I honestly can't believe he is still on the air, however I guess the world has become so dumbed down that it's just a reflection of this  :(

You left out: Motivated by a quest to pile up as much money as is possible. In any way possible.

jazmunda

I think George's biggest talent would be to be a cheesy MC for conventions run out of 3 star or lower facilities.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Morgus on October 18, 2015, 05:37:07 PM

Exactly. It could be the biggest fumble I've seen from Dave. This isn't some hucksters trying to hoax something, this is science. It is, at this point, scientifically possible that we may have detected alien megastructures. What we're not hearing much about is the comet dilemma. It's come down to three possibilities: 1. Some unknown natural phenomena that we have no understanding of 2. A cloud of comets disturbed by a passing star and sent streaming towards the mystery star. 3. Alien megastructures. The problem with the comet explanation is that they're blocking up to 22 percent of the star's light. That's an inconceivably high number for comets. Possible, but seriously high in light of the fact that gigantic Jupiter in the same circumstances would only block 1 percent of the sun's light. More, the odds of catching that hail of comets in progress are really bad. That's why Kaku is on board with entertaining the potential of this story. It has the right mix of possibility. Art got that, Dave didn't.

chefist

That was my exact point with RCH running a re-run that night! Both he and Dave had massive FAILS! While RCH was in a meltdown as his excuse, Dave clearly demonstrated that they do almost ZERO show prep and are pretty much completely incompetent...

K_Dubb

Art's guest said something about thinking at first it might be an object closer to the telescope not actually orbiting the star that just happened to pass in front of it, but rules that out because of the repetition.  What if it's a large spaceship coming from the star directly towards us?  Minor course deviations could explain the non-periodic occlusion.  The huge 22% occlusion is because they're almost here!

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 18, 2015, 06:32:32 PM
Art's guest said something about thinking at first it might be an object closer to the telescope not actually orbiting the star that just happened to pass in front of it, but rules that out because of the repetition.  What if it's a large spaceship coming from the star directly towards us?  Minor course deviations could explain the non-periodic occlusion.  The huge 22% occlusion is because they're almost here!

Interesting and I can't see how to completely rule it out.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 18, 2015, 06:32:32 PM

I have no idea if that's possible or not, but the idea just gave me chills!

trostol

meanwhile...in the heart of a big east coast city with plenty of light pollution..i looked out my window last night and saw Jupiter, Mars and Veuns...

ItsOver

Yes, Dave The Dullard.  At least he didn't surprise me.

Quote from: trostol on October 18, 2015, 06:41:57 PM
meanwhile...in the heart of a big east coast city with plenty of light pollution..i looked out my window last night and saw Jupiter, Mars and Veuns...

Venus, Jupiter, and Mars, or
Mars, Jupiter, and Venus.

I can't tell.

ItsOver

Quote from: ziznak on October 16, 2015, 10:53:22 AM
the first rule at bellgab is "fuck you, this is bellgab"
I'd just make a slight modification.  "Fuck you, this is BellGab.  Post often."

ItsOver

Quote from: whoozit on October 17, 2015, 05:02:45 PM
I want to send Dave and Tommy gift subscriptions.
I want to do the same for the upcoming holiday season.  It'll be retaliation for Dave's next edition of the C2C Holiday Songs CD.

AppealPlay

Quote from: ItsOver on October 18, 2015, 06:56:21 PM
I want to do the same for the upcoming holiday season.  It'll be retaliation for Dave's next edition of the C2C Holiday Songs CD.

No way.  Tell me Dave isn't hustling Christmas carol records.

jazmunda

Art on Facebook. Here here.

jazmunda

Speaking of Kaku. Can we get some MITD love?

Danger!UFO

Quote from: jazmunda on October 18, 2015, 07:27:15 PM
Art on Facebook. Here here.

Quote from: jazmunda on October 18, 2015, 07:28:51 PM
Speaking of Kaku. Can we get some MITD love?

Go Art, go! Kick some Snorry butt!