• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music you used to love but now...<groan>

Started by Caruthers612, October 24, 2013, 12:16:54 AM

Caruthers612

I was just listening to an old Phil Hendrie bit in which he plays Springsteen's "Born in the USA", and after the fifth continuous minute of Bruce screaming that line I realized the song blows and wondered how it and he exploded onto the international scene as big as they did back in the 80s, which I well remember. Now I was never that big a Bruce fan, but I respect the man, my point is only that it's happened to me before that some song, album or band I used to really, really love, many years later, sounds like desiccated dog colon. Anyone else have this experience and if so with what?

I know this is damn near blasphemous, but I don't care for The Police much anymore.  You mentioned Springsteen's repetitive lyrics; the same goes for The Police.  "Message in a Bottle" concludes with something like 27 repetitions of the phrase "sending out an SOS..." 

The Beach Boys to me now sound like a bunch of snotty, spoiled blond surf brats (which, maybe, was precisely their goal).

MV/Liberace!

pretty much any steve miller hit.  some of his really old obscure stuff is great, though.

Oh, good call on Steve Miller... Abra-abra-cadabra... I want to reach out and grab ya....  :(

shell88

America I don't really like anymore - though a few of their songs I still enjoy - one of them Sister Golden Hair.
Spirit was a great band that no longer appeals so much. Seals and Crofts and Cat Stevens I know longer like. I use to listen to a lot of Bob Dylan but just don't get the rush I use to out of his music.  Mind you, I still feel he's one of the best song writers there ever has been.

I love your avatar MV.  Paul Simon is one of my all time favorite song writers.  I am absolutely forever in love with his voice. I sing and play a lot of his music on the guitar. I grew up singing harmonies.

DanTSX

You didn't know that Springsteen sucked?

Its hack music for flat people with no humor.

Basically, it's Jimmy Buffet for blue collar people pretending to be blue collar, rather than Buffet's white collar crowd pretending to be blue collar.

Back in college, I used to constantly download their music, and immediately delete it.  Because Fuck them.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on October 25, 2013, 06:17:51 PM
pretty much any steve miller hit.  some of his really old obscure stuff is great, though.

A lot of really cool stuff before the Joker you never hear.

A lot of lame stuff after the Joker that gets played ad infinitum on classic rock radio.

Eddie Coyle

Loved Metallica as a kid.

I can't stand to listen to anything by them now. By now I mean, since turning 22.

ksm32

The Jungle Book   soundtrack. I loved that album when I was little, but now? It just doesn't do it for me anymore. The Bambi album though still get's me in tears, timeless.

ItsOver

"Chase."  I used to love it when it would start-up at night.  The master of the night is on his way.  Now it just says the dunce of the dark is about to ruin the night.  :P

This may get my citizenship revoked, but can probably go without hearing any BTO for 10 years.  Except maybe for "Stayed Awake All Night"' which is prett awesome.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on October 25, 2013, 07:23:57 PM
This may get my citizenship revoked, but can probably go without hearing any BTO for 10 years.  Except maybe for "Stayed Awake All Night"' which is prett awesome.

"Stayed Awake" is so awesome, that even Krokus pulled it off.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 25, 2013, 07:50:13 PM
      "Stayed Awake" is so awesome, that even Krokus pulled it off.
I saw Krokus open for Def Leppard on the Pyromania tour - actually, they were the middle act, Gary Moore opened.  They were dreadful, but I gotta say I kinda liked their version of that song.

And yes, I like the first three Def Leppard albums.  And I am only moderately embarrassed by that.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on October 25, 2013, 09:10:18 PM
I saw Krokus open for Def Leppard on the Pyromania tour - actually, they were the middle act, Gary Moore opened.  They were dreadful, but I gotta say I kinda liked their version of that song.

And yes, I like the first three Def Leppard albums.  And I am only moderately embarrassed by that.

Yeah, Def Leppard hasn't been halfway decent since they had 10 arms. Not a bad AC/DC ripoff in their early years.

Gary Moore having to open for both of them... :'(

ksm32

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 25, 2013, 09:17:29 PM
         Yeah, Def Leppard hasn't been halfway decent since they had 10 arms. Not a bad AC/DC ripoff in their early years.

Gary Moore having to open for both of them... :'(

As a guitar player? I say Gary Moore is king amongst guitar players. He deserves much more credit than he gets. GRRR >:(

Really nice guy too by all reports. :)

Also Eddie, your new avatar looks like Kim Mitchell. I know it's not but who is that?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ksm32 on October 25, 2013, 09:24:01 PM
As a guitar player? I say Gary Moore is king amongst guitar players. He deserves much more credit than he gets. GRRR >:(

Really nice guy too by all reports. :)

Also Eddie, your new avatar looks like Kim Mitchell. I know it's not but who is that?

The avatar is how Howard Stern SHOULD look without the magic of wigs.

Huge fan of Moore here as well, very underrated and had that Jeff Beck-like ability to play anything. His 1970's stuff like Skid Row and Colosseum II, his first albums like Grinding Stone and Back on the Streets are brilliant, but hard to find. Have to go the import route.

ksm32

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 25, 2013, 09:31:31 PM

Ahh Howard, I should have recognized that neck apple.

Gary's tone will live on if we keep playin it. Kim Mitchell is a smoking player... btw, the only strat guy I like.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 25, 2013, 09:31:31 PM

Huge fan of Moore here as well, very underrated and had that Jeff Beck-like ability to play anything. His 1970's stuff like Skid Row and Colosseum II, his first albums like Grinding Stone and Back on the Streets are brilliant, but hard to find. Have to go the import route.
Loved him in Thin Lizzy.

Quote from: ksm32 on October 25, 2013, 09:37:14 PM
Ahh Howard, I should have recognized that neck apple.

Gary's tone will live on if we keep playin it. Kim Mitchell is a smoking player... btw, the only strat guy I like.
I've seen Kim a couple of times, even got backstage to meet him at La Ronde a few hours before he went on.  Was surprised that the guy manning the door let a couple of obviously baked high school kids beg their way in, but we didn't embarrass ourselves too much.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on October 25, 2013, 07:23:57 PM
This may get my citizenship revoked, but can probably go without hearing any BTO for 10 years.  

fuck yes.

Quote from: ksm32 on October 25, 2013, 09:43:53 PM
That would require it's own thread. Gary and or TL.

I wish I was concert-going in 1979, when Nazareth and Thin Lizzy toured together.  That must have killed some people.

weeberwubber

I can't think of any that I really can't stand now, but I do find myself turning off Rush or Pink Floyd when it comes on because I'm just so tired.  I still think it's good music I just can't stand listening to it again right now.  Exeption being the Springsteen thing which I agree with.  My friends mocked me back then for being into it.  Bastards were right.

As I age (46 this week) I find myself doing the reverse and absolutely loving music that I never used to tolerate back in the day.  Small sampling: Supertramp, ELO, America... can't get enough of the stuff and I put it on when I need a pick me up.  Can't listen to Supertramp or Mr Blue Sky and stay in a bad mood.

Just to bend the thread in a different direction for a moment, I just re-listened to "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (and co.).  It holds up very well.  Wow.

Quote from: weeberwubber on October 26, 2013, 01:19:49 PM
I can't think of any that I really can't stand now, but I do find myself turning off Rush or Pink Floyd when it comes on because I'm just so tired.  I still think it's good music I just can't stand listening to it again right now.  Exeption being the Springsteen thing which I agree with.  My friends mocked me back then for being into it.  Bastards were right.

As I age (46 this week) I find myself doing the reverse and absolutely loving music that I never used to tolerate back in the day.  Small sampling: Supertramp, ELO, America... can't get enough of the stuff and I put it on when I need a pick me up.  Can't listen to Supertramp or Mr Blue Sky and stay in a bad mood.

I'm with you on some of that.  There are tons of bands, songs, and albums from the 60s and 70s I've just heard too many times.  The past several years I've been going back to some of what I overlooked from that era, and also finding stuff I liked before and after that period.  There are even some good 'new' bands out there, depending on people's taste.

Juan

Anything that might be considered Classic Rock.  I heard it all the first 3-times it was popular.

aldousburbank

Quote from: West of the Rockies on October 25, 2013, 06:26:02 PM
Oh, good call on Steve Miller... Abra-abra-cadabra... I want to reach out and grab slap ya....  :(

We could add movies to this list, too... I loved Ferris Bueller's Day Off for years, but upon seeing it again, something was lost.  He seems do damn smug and manipulative now....