• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cryptocurrency!

Started by Kolchak, April 19, 2018, 10:15:13 PM

Kolchak

I started to type a reply to this MV quote, but thought better of it:

Quote from: mv on April 19, 2018, 10:04:38 PM
it's the first cryptocurrency i've owned.  probably should have made that an option for people long ago.  thanks for the suggestion (and the coin)!

I didn't want to muck up the MITD thread with this, so I'll post it here.

I got into Bitcoin at $50. I sold all my bitcoin years ago when it was $250 and began to crash. I regret it to this day.

Afterwards, I purchased Litecoin at $30 and pledged to hold onto it, despite the turbulence of the crypto markets. The all time high was $400. As of this post, each Litecoin is around $149. I think it'll surpass that all time high soon.

Either way, I hope this serves as the officlal Bellgab Crypto thread, if anyone else here is into it.

Kolchak

I'm by no means an expert, but I will also try to field questions as best I can.

MV/Liberace!

how many bitcoins did you sell off?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Kolchak on April 19, 2018, 10:15:13 PM
I started to type a reply to this MV quote, but thought better of it:

I didn't want to muck up the MITD thread with this, so I'll post it here.

I got into Bitcoin at $50. I sold all my bitcoin years ago when it was $250 and began to crash. I regret it to this day.

Afterwards, I purchased Litecoin at $30 and pledged to hold onto it, despite the turbulence of the crypto markets. The all time high was $400. As of this post, each Litecoin is around $149. I think it'll surpass that all time high soon.

Either way, I hope this serves as the officlal Bellgab Crypto thread, if anyone else here is into it.

You should send an invite to Crypto Connie Willis

Kolchak

Quote from: mv on April 19, 2018, 10:25:23 PM
how many bitcoins did you sell off?

I had 2 and a half bitcoin. Over $200 was amazing, and when the crash started, I thought I was going to lose all my profit for good.

The day it reached $20,000, I drank heavily.

I'm stocking up on tulips and Pokémon cards

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 19, 2018, 11:26:28 PM
I'm stocking up on tulips and Pokémon cards

No Beanie Babies?! ??? ::)

WOTR

I know there is another thread somewhere on BG about crypto... I have been a fan for years. And I believe there is value. Similar to gold / silver, it cannot be printed like the dollar.

However, the recent rise seems to be just money pouring in from speculation rather than fundamentals. I wish it were people actually adopting it for use. But that does not seem to be the case. Just speculators and hedge funds looking for a place to stuff some of their worthless paper fiat. I kind of disliked it when it got listed and funds started buying. The attractive idea for me was that it was divorced from worthless paper- and then it got taken over by wall street instead of "nerds and geeks."

I still like the idea. But time will tell if $40,000 is a realistic valuation. I guess I have seen the gold bulls predict $10,000 gold every year for the last decade. To see predictions of $100,000 Btc by the end of the year leaves me skeptical. But hey... Why not? Let those 3060 cards hash out some Ether while they sit idle.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on January 14, 2021, 03:55:20 AM
I know there is another thread somewhere on BG about crypto... I have been a fan for years. And I believe there is value. Similar to gold / silver, it cannot be printed like the dollar.

However, the recent rise seems to be just money pouring in from speculation rather than fundamentals. I wish it were people actually adopting it for use. But that does not seem to be the case. Just speculators and hedge funds looking for a place to stuff some of their worthless paper fiat. I kind of disliked it when it got listed and funds started buying. The attractive idea for me was that it was divorced from worthless paper- and then it got taken over by wall street instead of "nerds and geeks."

I still like the idea. But time will tell if $40,000 is a realistic valuation. I guess I have seen the gold bulls predict $10,000 gold every year for the last decade. To see predictions of $100,000 Btc by the end of the year leaves me skeptical. But hey... Why not? Let those 3060 cards hash out some Ether while they sit idle.  ;)
I know someone who got hacked several years ago. The crooks locked up his computer and he had to buy Bitcoin to pay them off. This was before all the news stories about it. Anyway took him a while but he finally figured out how to buy BitCoin and bought some and paid off the crooks. About $500. Anyway he was left over some partial BitCoin. He checked recently and his partial is somewhere around $8K. So, inadvertently, the hackers made him money! (And to their limited credit, they did unlocked his computer after receiving the payment.)

Ciardelo

Quote from: albrecht on January 15, 2021, 09:33:14 AM
I know someone who got hacked several years ago. The crooks locked up his computer and he had to buy Bitcoin to pay them off. This was before all the news stories about it. Anyway took him a while but he finally figured out how to buy BitCoin and bought some and paid off the crooks. About $500. Anyway he was left over some partial BitCoin. He checked recently and his partial is somewhere around $8K. So, inadvertently, the hackers made him money! (And to their limited credit, they did unlocked his computer after receiving the payment.)

I gotta say, Imma huge fan of happy endings.