• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

VtaGeezer

Male CW singers' cowboy hats.  ALWAYS a cowboy hat.  Even in a PSA for a charity, they gotta wear the fucking hat.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 07, 2014, 01:32:12 PM
Art isn't responsible

After his antics last fall, he's proven that yet again.

*I love the English language and the liberties it provides.

zeebo

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on September 07, 2014, 10:12:42 AM
...Side note: I actually have a cane I can wave while I  make this rant.

Nice detail, UC - It really helped complete the mental picture for me.   :D

Catsmile

Quote from: b_dubb on September 07, 2014, 01:53:22 PM
I can't imagine a "serious" photographer criticizing another photographer for being bold.  You have to go where others won't to get shots like these.  Otherwise everyone would have them on their phone.

Forget these jokers.  They just wish they had the stones to do what you did. Let them take pictures of the neighbors kids in their basement studio.  You go off and do your own thing. 

Humm... Now-uh-dayz that statement is really loaded, and can conjure all sorts of unsavory mental images.

Without a doubt do your own thing, HorrorRetro. Stay far away from photographing kids in the basement scenario.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 07, 2014, 02:50:58 PM
    After his antics last fall, he's proven that yet again.

*I love the English language and the liberties it provides.

;D And I love that you're back on the board.

Quote from: Catsmile on September 07, 2014, 04:29:41 PM

Without a doubt do your own thing, HorrorRetro. Stay far away from photographing kids in the basement scenario.

No plans to operate a basement studio.  ;D

b_dubb

I said that because I know a photographer in the area who makes most of her money taking pics of babies. Nothing scandalous. But the "child worship" levels are of the charts and if you're of the mindset of George Carlin - and I am - you see something like that and throw up a little bit.

http://youtu.be/h6wOt2iXdc4

HorrorRetro

People photography is definitely not my forte. I've never gone for decorating my house with family photos. It kind of creeps me out. Now, street photography of people is totally different. I love taking photos of people in candid situations.

Chine

Grr. High and mighty photographers who chastise others for going to abandoned sites and photographing them. I just got reamed for my pics of the abandoned missile site. Yeah, I had to trespass. Big fucking deal. If I'd gotten arrested, which wouldn't have happened, I would have been willing to pay the consequences. They are all screaming at me for not being "responsible." Well, fuck you. Art isn't responsible, it's risky. I guess I should just stay in my yard and photograph flowers or something.  ::)

This is just in terms of doing for a hobby, right? Only reason, I ask to clarify is these situations would only be considered seriously for professional photographers selling their work (editorial, showing in galleries, for profit). I have a couple friends who are fine artist photographers. One had an exhibit at The Chelsea Hotel in NYC, shows his work nationally and makes his living from it. He is fooking amazing and he has trespassed for some shots. Another friend too, but they did have to deal with legalities, permission in some. Because there's profit involved and the work in, say a magazine. Copyright issues, and so on.

But if it's just a bunch of hobbyists... Sounds like it's just bullshit ego nonsense. Also, lotsa the ole artsy fartsy envy.

zeebo

So I'm trying to devise even more ways to waste time, and thinking picking a new sport to zone out and drink beer to might do the trick.  I kinda surprisingly got into the recent World Cup soccer hype, and thought, ok, sure what the hell I'll try MLS (Major League Soccer), our own national league which honestly I'd never heard of before. 

So I find one of these games on some cable sports channel, and as I'm watching it, I'm thinking to myself, jeez what's with all the Red Bull ads?  I mean it's everywhere!  Even on the team jerseys.  And then I find out, the friggin team is actually called the New York Red Bulls

Wtf?  I mean I'm all for capitalism and makin a buck, but it's not enough to name stadiums after products, now the team itself is a friggin product?  What's next, the Portland Pepsi's?  The Kansas City KFC's?  The friggin Denver Depends?

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Chine on September 07, 2014, 05:33:36 PM
This is just in terms of doing for a hobby, right? Only reason, I ask to clarify is these situations would only be considered seriously for professional photographers selling their work (editorial, showing in galleries, for profit). I have a couple friends who are fine artist photographers. One had an exhibit at The Chelsea Hotel in NYC, shows his work nationally and makes his living from it. He is fooking amazing and he has trespassed for some shots. Another friend too, but they did have to deal with legalities, permission in some. Because there's profit involved and the work in, say a magazine. Copyright issues, and so on.

But if it's just a bunch of hobbyists... Sounds like it's just bullshit ego nonsense. Also, lotsa the ole artsy fartsy envy.

Yes, I'm definitely not ready to sell anything yet. It's my obsession, but it's not at a career stage. As for the group of people, they are in the same boat essentially. They like to share photos of kids and pets and flowers. Blah. I'm not planning on trespassing on a regular basis, but this facility pretty much required it. I belong to a local photography group, and we're awaiting permission to shoot an old mansion. We could sneak on the grounds, but we're following the rules for this one.

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on September 07, 2014, 05:35:24 PM
So I'm trying to devise even more ways to waste time, and thinking picking a new sport to zone out and drink beer to might do the trick.  I kinda surprisingly got into the recent World Cup soccer hype, and thought, ok, sure what the hell I'll try MLS (Major League Soccer), our own national league which honestly I'd never heard of before. 

So I find one of these games on some cable sports channel, and as I'm watching it, I'm thinking to myself, jeez what's with all the Red Bull ads?  I mean it's everywhere!  Even on the team jerseys.  And then I find out, the friggin team is actually called the New York Red Bulls

Wtf?  I mean I'm all for capitalism and makin a buck, but it's not enough to name stadiums after products, now the team itself is a friggin product?  What's next, the Portland Pepsi's?  The Kansas City KFC's?  The friggin Denver Depends?
That's how they do it in Europe. Unlike our teams- they have ads on their uniforms. But there aren't the opportunities for commercials during the tv broadcast like with baseball or football so that's how they get their ad revenue (in addition to banners ads etc in the stadium.)

Chine

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 07, 2014, 05:27:39 PM
People photography is definitely not my forte. I've never gone for decorating my house with family photos. It kind of creeps me out. Now, street photography of people is totally different. I love taking photos of people in candid situations.

Gina, you are talented. When you begin to create great work and from truly loving what you do, those buggers come out of the wall.

Thing is, no matter what level in any creative field (or any field), the naysayers still will jab at you. If the work was mediocre and unappealing, they wouldn't bother.

I still get the occasional jab and have to giggle when they take time to email me how they don't like this work of mine or etc. Guess what? No one told you you have to. I have to love my work and those who value it, will... And paying me for it before that individual finished typing out her email.

There's always going to be someone who doesn't like who we are or what we do. So be it... Next.

Quote from: zeebo on September 07, 2014, 05:35:24 PM
What's next, the Portland Pepsi's?  The Kansas City KFC's?  The friggin Denver Depends?

The Rockaway Rubbermaid Douchebags

or

The Rockaway Rubbermaids

(I want - and would wear - a fan jersey featuring either.)

Quote from: Chine on September 07, 2014, 05:42:24 PM
Gina, you are talented. When you begin to create great work and from truly loving what you do, those buggers come out of the wall.

Thing is, no matter what level in any creative field (or any field), the naysayers still will jab at you. If the work was mediocre and unappealing, they wouldn't bother.

I still get the occasional jab and have to giggle when they take time to email me how they don't like this work of mine or etc. Guess what? No one told you you have to. I have to love my work and those who value it, will... And paying me for it before that individual finished typing out her email.

There's always going to be someone who doesn't like who we are or what we do. So be it... Next.

This ^

Chine

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 07, 2014, 05:39:13 PM
Yes, I'm definitely not ready to sell anything yet. It's my obsession, but it's not at a career stage. As for the group of people, they are in the same boat essentially. They like to share photos of kids and pets and flowers. Blah. I'm not planning on trespassing on a regular basis, but this facility pretty much required it. I belong to a local photography group, and we're awaiting permission to shoot an old mansion. We could sneak on the grounds, but we're following the rules for this one.

Oh, so great to have a community like that. I loved those images of the abandoned buildings. I would think most property owners don't mind. Maybe concerns are safety as should someone get hurt (by .. Oh... A staircase collapsing, whatever) they would be liable.

One friend is a street artist in Vegas. She is so incredible but she also will spray paint on trains at late at night/early am. She asked me to join her and paint with her. I said 'He'll no! My husband works with law enforcement and with my luck Id get caught!' Hahaha

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Chine on September 07, 2014, 05:42:24 PM

I still get the occasional jab and have to giggle when they take time to email me how they don't like this work of mine or etc. Guess what? No one told you you have to.

Yep. One guy said, "The RULE for urban exploring (urbex) is that you never talk about it."  Okay...first off, who made that rule? Who says I have to fall in line with that? If urbex photographers never shared their work, we'd never see the insides of many of these spectacular places. It reminds me of an old Tracey Ullman skit she did back in the late '80s or early '90s where her character's motto was "If it ain't risky, it ain't rock and roll."  8)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 07, 2014, 04:35:20 PM

Thank ya! And BTW, ignore those "responsible" prigs and their unwritten rules of photography. Thou shall not trespass against a pompous professional photographer!

Chine

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 07, 2014, 06:10:20 PM
     Thank ya! And BTW, ignore those "responsible" prigs and their unwritten rules of photography. Thou shall not trespass against a pompous professional photographer!

Eddie! Welcome back from me as well!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Chine on September 07, 2014, 06:14:03 PM
Eddie! Welcome back from me as well!

Thanks again...positive attention makes me redder than Boris Yeltsin after a weekend w/o SPF in Sochi.

Heather Wade

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 07, 2014, 06:29:50 PM
     Thanks again...positive attention makes me redder than Boris Yeltsin after a weekend w/o SPF in Sochi.

You were missed.   ;)

Quote from: b_dubb on September 07, 2014, 05:20:06 PM
I said that because I know a photographer in the area who makes most of her money taking pics of babies. Nothing scandalous. But the "child worship" levels are off the charts and if you're of the mindset of George Carlin - and I am - you see something like that and throw up a little bit.

Agreed!

ksm32

Things that annoy, here's one.

My pony sized dog thinks it's socially acceptable to haul into the house, arm loads of fire wood from the OUTDOOR fire pit.

Grr. High and mighty photographers who chastise others for going to abandoned sites and photographing them. I just got reamed for my pics of the abandoned missile site. Yeah, I had to trespass. Big fucking deal. If I'd gotten arrested, which wouldn't have happened, I would have been willing to pay the consequences. They are all screaming at me for not being "responsible." Well, fuck you. Art isn't responsible, it's risky. I guess I should just stay in my yard and photograph flowers or something.  ::)

Ach, screw them HR. Your photography is wonderful, and I suspect there's a huge amount of jealousy behind the self-righteous reaming. And anyway, who the hell are they to say anything to you in the first place? You may have my cane to beat them with.  ;)

Quote from: zeebo on September 07, 2014, 04:28:20 PM
Nice detail, UC - It really helped complete the mental picture for me.   :D

It's all in the details, oh wise squirrel.  ;D

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on September 07, 2014, 05:39:34 PM
That's how they do it in Europe. Unlike our teams- they have ads on their uniforms. ...

Yeah ads are one thing but are the actual team names the product themselves?  Like say the Berlin BMW's or the Stockholm Ikea's?

zeebo

I've had it with the misuse of the word "ultimate", which is resulting in it's weakening meaning.  It's supposed to mean the maximul limit which is impossible to surpass. 

Tell me then, how come I just heard an ad for Lifelock Ultimate Plus.  Plus?  How can you go beyond the Ultimate, I ask you.  It's not possible.  I mean why not call it Lifelock Ultimate Plus Premium Extra Special Super Fantastic?

Overly complicated drinking games.

(however, a sadistic form of HORSE involving up to three brooms to swat/block the thrown basketball is hilarious and worthy of neighborhood notification)

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 07, 2014, 04:35:20 PM

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: zeebo on September 08, 2014, 12:54:14 AM
I've had it with the misuse of the word "ultimate", which is resulting in it's weakening meaning.  It's supposed to mean the maximul limit which is impossible to surpass. 

Tell me then, how come I just heard an ad for Lifelock Ultimate Plus.  Plus?  How can you go beyond the Ultimate, I ask you.  It's not possible.  I mean why not call it Lifelock Ultimate Plus Premium Extra Special Super Fantastic?

How do you feel about penultimate?  I'm starting to like that word.  Penultimate.

Quote from: zeebo on September 08, 2014, 12:54:14 AM

Shouldn't that be Awesome Ultimate Plus??   :o

eddie dean

Phoenix is drowning in rain. Moisture from hurricane Norbert generates record breaking rainfall in the southwest!
The digital rain gage in my back yard reads 4.66" of rain has fallen since 2am this morning. My back yard is under water, freeways are flooded and closed. Some areas of the valley have seen over 5" of rain in an 8 hour period.  It's still raining and more is on the way.

Crazy!

I'm changing my user name to Treading Water 2! Hope you don't mind TW! :)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/heavy-rain-snarls-morning-commute-phoenix-area-25344433

[attachimg=1]
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/wettest-day-record-phoenix-flash-floods-cause-havoc-n198201

I know Phoenix has flash flood problems as I've family in Glendale and they tell me about it. I hope everything's well with you, and if this is the end of a drought, then that's good.

Here's what's annoying me today: I just banned the same pain in the ass troll on the forum I moderate for the 23rd time since August 27th. What makes people so loony they keep coming back? Do they like seeing the line through their names, time after time?  ::)

wr250

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on September 08, 2014, 12:10:01 PM
I know Phoenix has flash flood problems as I've family in Glendale and they tell me about it. I hope everything's well with you, and if this is the end of a drought, then that's good.

Here's what's annoying me today: I just banned the same pain in the ass troll on the forum I moderate for the 23rd time since August 27th. What makes people so loony they keep coming back? Do they like seeing the line through their names, time after time?  ::)

in the same reason as some people here proclaim to hate some DMRN show, but still lissen anyways.