• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Best Halloween songs

Started by Spikegirl, October 18, 2008, 03:47:49 PM

Spikegirl

What are your favorite Halloween diddies?

Mine are:
Everyday is Halloween  by Ministry
Scary Monsters  by David Bowie
Monster Mash  by Boris Pickett

This brings back fond memories of my goth days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7O04jRtMyc

Everyday is Halloween

Well I live with snakes and lizards
and other things that go bump in the night
'Cuz to me everyday is Halloween
I have given up hiding and started to fight
I have started to fight
Well any time, any place, anywhere that I go
all the people seem to stop and stare
they say 'Why are you dressed like it's Halloween?
you look so absurd, you look so obscene'
Oh, why can't I live a life for me?
why should I take the abuse that's served?
why can't they see they're just like me
it's the same, it's the same in the whole wide world
well I let their teeny minds think
that they're dealing with someone who is over the brink
and I dress this way just to keep them at bay
'Cuz Halloween is everyday
it's everyday ....

(more lyrics here:      http://www.metrolyrics.com/everyday-is-halloween-lyrics-ministry.html  )

Not exactly a Halloween song, but it fits the mood. For your listening and viewing pleasure, more industrial goth courtesy of Skinny Puppy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY_MBN5YIj8

and who could forget The Sisters of Mercy?:

(I used to have a thing for Andrew Eldridge. He looks especially good in the second vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boinZ5BIlkw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDuW3NvjqJY&feature=related

Wow, you like some good music Spike. I never expected to hear you enjoyed Ministry and Skinny Puppy.

As for Halloween music, anything by:

Akira Yamaoka (of course)

The Misfits

Danzig

The Damned

Type O Negative

Sister Machine Gun

The Cure

Joy Division

Boards of Canada (Geogaddi specifically)

Opeth

My Dying Bride

And for extremely gory stuff, Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse.

If I HAD to pick one song that makes me think of Halloween every time, it's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R34SA1qTfQw

Spikegirl

(Laughing) Gee..thanks, PK. Now I'm wondering if you thought I listened to Celine Dion or something?!  ;)

The vid was cool. I used to have my own radio show in college and would play bands like Skinny Puppy, Ministry, The Cult, Joy Division, The Revolting Cocks, KMFDM, Nitzer Ebb, Nine Inch Nails (one of my favorite bands), etc.

These days I tend to like music by The Orb, The Crystal Method, The Lords of Acid and any techno/trance music in general. Although, I can also appreciate any type of music that is good. There is this ad for a store named Target that I keep seeing on t.v. It uses a song by Dolly Parton (is she considered country?) that I absolutely LOVE and want to find out the name of, so I could get the single.

Hope I don't blow my 'cool' status by admitting that I love this new song by Kim Leoni. It reminds me of a poster here who shall remain nameless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL12wzVL92g&feature=related

BTW, Pirate, came across this on some other site and thought of you:

I hope that's a real flag because it's going in my room. :)

And oh, I love The Orb myself. Their album Cydonia is one of my staple sleeping CDs. My ex girlfriend liked The Lords of Acid, but they never quite caught on with me. That pussy song is funny though.  ;D

Spikegirl

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on October 18, 2008, 06:21:49 PM
I hope that's a real flag because it's going in my room. :)

And oh, I love The Orb myself. Their album Cydonia is one of my staple sleeping CDs. My ex girlfriend liked The Lords of Acid, but they never quite caught on with me. That pussy song is funny though.  ;D

haha! You mean "I wanna sit on your face?"  That is a great song!

I think it was called "Show me your pussy" or just 'Pussy". Wikipedia only says they had a single called "Pussy", so maybe it's that? All I remember are the lyrics and her singing to them cause I was like.."Woah, hot. Any chick that likes to sing songs about pussies is alright with me."  ;D

Spikegirl

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on October 18, 2008, 06:47:12 PM
I think it was called "Show me your pussy" or just 'Pussy". Wikipedia only says they had a single called "Pussy", so maybe it's that? All I remember are the lyrics and her singing to them cause I was like.."Woah, hot. Any chick that likes to sing songs about pussies is alright with me."  ;D

I just remembered the name of the song: I Sit on Acid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qQLOgcVOw&feature=related

It starts with "Darling come here, fuck me up the ...."

I must say industrial or electronic music in general isn't usually my thing. It's just for certain moods. But as an avid music lover, I listen to everything from classical, to broadway, to Norwegian/Swedish death/black metal, to hip-hop, to electronic, to folk, to bluegrass..well, you get the idea. I'm really a very strange person when it comes to music. One of my favorite bands is a Celtic Folk Metal outfit called 'Haggard", who performed an album entire about the life of Galileo Galilei. It's very dark, thought-provoking, and emotional. Almost brooding. You can probably bet that if it's progressive and musically technical, I've heard it - or at least of it.

The only types of music I absolutely hate are the moronic post-2000 country and rap outfits. If the song contains the words/phrases "tractor", "kickin muslim ass", "bling bling", or "up in da club", I don't want it. Also, repetitive beats, melodies, and lyrics make me want to kill someone.

Strangely however, I love punk... Go figure.  ;:)

EvB

This has been my favorite Halloween Song since childhood- though  I first heard it done by the Kingston Trio -- with some different verses. I taught it to my son when he was little.  If I have have the pleasure of grandchildren - they'll learn it too!

Frys Girl

Evey you are so cute. Seriously. I hope you have lots of grandkids. They'd be really lucky based on what I've learned about you. Halloween is the most fun holiday in America, other than Christmas, because well, you don't get halloween vacation! ;) kidding...

Caruthers612

The Kingston Trio? EvB, I thought I was the only one here to appreciate the fill fromage of their genius.
     Funny, in my pre-Python/Britcom childhood, when they were showing Ernie Kovacs reruns on TV and my Dad told me he used to love watching this totally weird and hysterical guy, nothing clued me in to the just slightly racist nature of The Trio; but since they are a fond part of a fond memory from childhood, I choose not to focus on that. They were three silly chimpanzees who made me laugh, as Ernie did in general.
     Oh, and by the way, their 1969 concept album 'Gimme a Banana' clearly paved the way for ABBA.

M

Caruthers612

Quote from: Spikegirl on October 18, 2008, 06:26:04 PM
haha! You mean "I wanna sit on your face?"  That is a great song!

I knew there I liked you, Spikey. And you were a gothling in high school? You couldn't have come over to my house and covered me with smooches just once? <grumble>
     As for Halloween songs, I'm surprised you forgot '99 Ich Luft Balloons'--surely the greatest ode to All Hallow's Eve ever penned.

Mordred, what thinks every day should be Halloween

EvB

Quote from: Mordred478 on October 19, 2008, 06:14:04 PM
     The Kingston Trio? EvB, I thought I was the only one here to appreciate the fill fromage of their genius.
     Funny, in my pre-Python/Britcom childhood, when they were showing Ernie Kovacs reruns on TV and my Dad told me he used to love watching this totally weird and hysterical guy, nothing clued me in to the just slightly racist nature of The Trio; but since they are a fond part of a fond memory from childhood, I choose not to focus on that. They were three silly chimpanzees who made me laugh, as Ernie did in general.
     Oh, and by the way, their 1969 concept album 'Gimme a Banana' clearly paved the way for ABBA.

M

Hey-- madras shirts, chinos - boat shoes, soft crew-cuts, and acustic guitars  --  Gotta love 'em!

Spikegirl

Quote from: Mordred478 on October 19, 2008, 06:19:15 PM
     I knew there I liked you, Spikey. And you were a gothling in high school? You couldn't have come over to my house and covered me with smooches just once? <grumble>
     As for Halloween songs, I'm surprised you forgot '99 Ich Luft Balloons'--surely the greatest ode to All Hallow's Eve ever penned.

Mordred, what thinks every day should be Halloween

Haha! I was shy in HS and would have needed an engraved invitation to go over to any cute boy's house!

I always thought that song was about Communism for some reason...

And speaking of Halloween...Boo!