• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

AppealPlay

Quote from: BellBoy on November 12, 2015, 10:39:31 AM
Faulkie is also gathering a following on 4chan now  :)

Aren't you proud to have such a shining example, represent you to the rest of the world internet steaming pit of sewage?

Oh, dear.  Is that what other Art Bell fans think of BellGab?

trostol

Quote from: rfmwguy on November 12, 2015, 08:34:00 AM
Hey Bruuupsters (hope I'm current) I'm still here. Can someone record one of my commercials?...I've never heard it post-production and post a link? Thanks in advance...Also, I just did a thermal cam test of my emdrive. It took me a while to save up for it, but donations helped. Some of this scientific stuff gets too pricey for the average home-boy budget. Anyway, the thermal movie was done to find out where the focused heating was occuring on the device....almost 300 degrees F smack dab on the magnetron. Here's the thermal movie, crank it up:

https://youtu.be/dmpUQ5ZkyRw

hey Dave...thanks for the update...cool music in the video...i am sure someone here can get you the commercial..and pm it off to you or something in the next few days

FLLFlash

I fell asleep so I am glad I recorded the show. Unlike many others I am very interested in the ship (and all passenger ships). Hopefully Hoaxland managed not to botch the interview. That's not an unreasonable hope.

I'm about 12 pages behind in this thread. I look forward to catching up with last night's progress of this rolling disaster. The outcome is inevitable, but the process is fascinating.

norland2424

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 12, 2015, 01:22:09 PM
I fell asleep so I am glad I recorded the show. Unlike many others I am very interested in the ship (and all passenger ships). Hopefully Hoaxland managed not to botch the interview. That's not an unreasonable hope.

I'm about 12 pages behind in this thread. I look forward to catching up with last night's progress of this rolling disaster. The outcome is inevitable, but the process is fascinating.

To be fair the part of the show i did hear he didn't do a bad job, like trostol wrote he was in cavet mode, but  the subject was too boring for my own tastes, and mega dildos to you

coaster

Hoagland actually said he coined the phrase "on the internet nobody knows your a dog"? I must have missed that. Why does he claim ownership of things so easily verifiable? It really is time to get his head checked. It's more than just being an insufferable asshole. I honestly think he has a mental disorder.
Seek help Hoagland.

ziznak

Quote from: coaster on November 12, 2015, 02:55:35 PM
Hoagland actually said he coined the phrase "on the internet nobody knows your a dog"? I must have missed that. Why does he claim ownership of things so easily verifiable? It really is time to get his head checked. It's more than just being an insufferable asshole. I honestly think he has a mental disorder.
Seek help Hoagland.
he really thinks that he did these things coaster... he's delusional.  He heard the phrase, stole it, then by the time he had used it a hundred times he really believed that he had coined it.  Like the Sagan plaque that expat pointed out.. he happened to be there when somebody else made the suggestion.  Well, shit, after a few years it's something he co-created.

par for the course w him

Hey Bruuupsters (hope I'm current) I'm still here. Can someone record one of my commercials?...I've never heard it post-production and post a link? Thanks in advance...Also, I just did a thermal cam test of my emdrive. It took me a while to save up for it, but donations helped. Some of this scientific stuff gets too pricey for the average home-boy budget. Anyway, the thermal movie was done to find out where the focused heating was occuring on the device....almost 300 degrees F smack dab on the magnetron. Here's the thermal movie, crank it up:

Kick ass vid Dave :)
Perfect Floyd tune BTW

Hoaxy was in cavett mode last night, so you should enjoy the recording. They even had a chick on that was a passenger on the vessel when it was in its prime.

Quote from: trostol on November 12, 2015, 03:30:58 AM
night night...some how i expect the pink ranger in your avatar tomorrow lol

If I could find one with a lightsaber I totally would use that!

I got a theme to uphold!

henge0stone

I'm big on historic preservation, glad someone did a show about this. It wasn't interesting enough to me to stay up though. Not exactly Hoagland material but I was pretty interested for 15 minutes.

Quote from: expat on November 12, 2015, 12:24:15 PM
I blogged the Wednesday open lines show.

http://dorkmission.blogspot.com/2015/11/zany-pranksters.html

It always confuses me when Hoagland calls Tuesday night's show Wednesday's, or whatever day it happens to be, even though he is technically correct.

By the way, expat, Hoagland said your blog was run by two pranksters as you point out.  One from Europe and one from the US.  I thought you were the sole proprietor, so to speak.

FLLFlash

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 12, 2015, 02:09:40 AM
It hasn't functioned as an actual ship since 1969. It's been on life support ever since and losing the battle. I wasn't even born until 1975 and I'm almost fucking 40. Other than a few sentences for historical interest and awareness, why would I care about this?

They didn't give a crap about the Norway/France. The ship was a floating toxic waste dump roaming the seas as a pariah without a home at the end of its life. It's a high-rise in Shanghai now.

I was on one of the last sailings of the Norway and it was way past it's former glory as the France. I'm glad I got the chance to sail on one of the last, great ships but it was really on it's last legs.

It would be great to have all the original computers around in working order as well. But it's not practical.

It would be great if I could live to 200.

Such is life.

FLLFlash

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 12, 2015, 02:12:48 AM
And a rusted stripped-out boat at that. I think I'm going to lay down. Mega Dildos y'all.

It's the stripped out part that's the real problem. Lacking the original appointments I don't see much point in a restoration. Not much human historical value left without those fixtures.

FLLFlash

Quote from: Barfly on November 12, 2015, 02:12:54 AM
He has no clue how many of us listen, if he looses us he is fucked, actually hes fucked anyway

This, exactly, on both points.

Hi Dave, thanks for keeping us up to date.  I thought the vertical thermal lines emanating from the magnetron were interesting.  What do you attribute that to?  Are they from housing grid?

Quote from: albrecht on November 12, 2015, 11:58:02 AM
I also miss the days of the US building the biggest and best of everything and also like ships but it looks too far gone. Tow it to those beaches in India, or is it Bangladesh, and let those little kids and guys swarm over it like ants and take it apart in a matter of days without any real tools. And film it by drone in HD and make a movie for youtube or tv. That stuff is crazy to watch. The men and teens swarm the ship, the women and kids sift through sand to find loosed bolts etc. And all is sort for scrap so they can eat some gruel. Sort of sad, but amazing to see.

I imagine before they did that, turned it into a reef, scrapped it, whatever, they would be required to remove the asbestos and strip the lead paint.  That's probably why no one wants to make a decision.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 12, 2015, 06:02:22 PM
They didn't give a crap about the Norway/France. The ship was a floating toxic waste dump roaming the seas as a pariah without a home at the end of its life. It's a high-rise in Shanghai now.

I was on one of the last sailings of the Norway and it was way past it's former glory as the France. I'm glad I got the chance to sail on one of the last, great ships but it was really on it's last legs.

It would be great to have all the original computers around in working order as well. But it's not practical.

It would be great if I could live to 200.

Such is life.

That's the issue I would have with it. It's only 65 years old and we already have an example of a great ocean liner preserved, the Queen Mary. So it's not like we'd be losing a major artifact. It would be nice to preserve or repurpose it, but that would cost nearly a billion dollars. You could raise and conserve the damned Titanic for that kind of money.

FLLFlash

FLLFlash

Quote from: BellBoy on November 12, 2015, 02:34:23 AM
They do morphine here... England isn't as narco-phobic as the US. It was great  ;)

Morphine is quite good. Way better than Oxycodone/Percocet.

trostol

someone help Dave out and record his commercial tonight for him

albrecht

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 12, 2015, 06:17:52 PM
I imagine before they did that, turned it into a reef, scrapped it, whatever, they would be required to remove the asbestos and strip the lead paint.  That's probably why no one wants to make a decision.
I don't think the regulators in those areas (India, Bangladesh, Pakistan etc) are quite so picky. India signed the 1992 Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal was signed by India on 15.3.1990, ratified it on 24.6.1992, and acceded to the Convention on 22.9.1992*. Import of such wastes may be allowed for processing or re-use as raw material, after each case has been examined on merit by the State Pollution Control Board." Futhermore: "On 21 January 2011, the Indian supreme court refused to ban asbestos in India."
*- the US and Haiti have signed the Basel Convention- but have not ratified it.
ps: Vice I guess did a show on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU0DXdAhdsA

norland2424

Quote from: Darth Sandra on November 12, 2015, 04:52:04 PM
If I could find one with a lightsaber I totally would use that!

I got a theme to uphold!

A mega dildo theme?  ;D

rfmwguy

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 12, 2015, 06:14:09 PM
Hi Dave, thanks for keeping us up to date.  I thought the vertical thermal lines emanating from the magnetron were interesting.  What do you attribute that to?  Are they from housing grid?
Lots of discussion on that. I originally thought it was a camera artifact until someone did an analysis on resonance modes today. This looks alot like TM314 or TM414 mode which is simply a pattern of radio waves made by reflections in a closed space. Sorry to geek out, but its hard to describe without some tech stuff. Anyway, not sure what it is exactly, but its looking less like a camera glitch and more like a focusing of radio (microwaves) energy. If this technology is proven to work on a larger scale, things change...rapidly. Old textbooks being the first  :)

expat

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 12, 2015, 06:00:43 PM
By the way, expat, Hoagland said your blog was run by two pranksters as you point out.  One from Europe and one from the US.  I thought you were the sole proprietor, so to speak.

That made me smile, too. I think he means me and James Concannon. James frequents Facebore, and I don't, so he reports on the pseudoscience nonsense he finds there. He just posted on the latest cringe-worthy rubbish from Robert Morningstar.

http://dorkmission.blogspot.com/2015/11/more-balderdash-from-robert-morningstar.html

FLLFlash

Quote from: ShayP on November 12, 2015, 02:42:55 AM
Who pays for the docking of this vessel?

I'm all about nostalgia and the pics Georgie F.P. are posting are awesome, but all of that was gutted for personal gain back in the day.  People have that stuff in personal collections.  Why not have those people give back that stuff to help the renovation?   

This all seems like a complete waste of resources for the original Love Boat on steroids.  meh.... :P

NCL had an option to purchase this ship for a long time, did purchase/restore/convert the SS France to create the SS Norway. They passed on the United States as it could not be economically converted for cruise ship use, although they retained the option for years. Restoring the ship for some static use (such as a hotel) would be a different proposition, but one that would be greatly supplemented by the original fixtures. (Forget about the fittings.) No one will ever be able to get them back. They are gone. And I hate to say it, but so should the ship be.

When the Norway was in its death throws the fixtures of the ship vanished. When the ship was broken in India they were gone. The disposition of some items are known, but of many it is not. That's the way it works.

You can't really undo these things. The end of a ship's life is an ugly, violent proposition. Unless you have a vested interest in the salvage it's best not to watch. Better to enjoy the nostalgic photos.

FLLFlash

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on November 12, 2015, 02:51:34 AM
Maybe the ship could be used to perform a viking funeral for Hoagie and Dave's shows? Just a thought.

They only deserve a simulated Viking funeral.

Mild Bill

Me too, Flash...especially the Olympic class sisters.