• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Your favourite caller to Coast to Coast

Started by danDNA, September 10, 2008, 02:43:25 PM

danDNA

as i said before mine is John from Long Island. He has such a gangsta Long Island voice and always asks such normal questions. I get the feeling that he is wearing jordan maxwell glasses and a smoking jacket on and he just goes about his business after putting the phone down.

But i also like a black bloke who calls in who sounds like RZA from the Wu-Tang, who always asks the most intelligent but scientifically worded questions, that no doubt fly straight over bollock mouth's head.

Remember the trucker who's cat used to go to sleep whenever it heard George? Sensible cat.

Caruthers612

I always loved Peter Davenport. Then, out of the blue one night, for those of you who were lucky enough to hear it, Art and Peter must have been talking about something that caused Peter to mention that he'd been in the Navy, I believe, a Cold Warrior trained to deal with the Russkies way back when. The whole first hour turned into the story of Peter being captured by Russian navy dudes one night, I think Peter's job may have been monitoring their communications and intelligence or something. Anyway, like I say, out of the blue, this guy we'd only known as a very down to earth collector of UFO reports, suddenly told this gripping and highly believable story of his interrogation by these Russian navy guys and how it was basically his wits and a little luck that were responsible for his not being ventilated by an AK. One of my favorites episodes. ;-)

M

Spikegirl

Quote from: danDNA on September 10, 2008, 02:43:25 PM

But i also like a black bloke who calls in who sounds like RZA from the Wu-Tang, who always asks the most intelligent but scientifically worded questions, that no doubt fly straight over bollock mouth's head.

Are you referring to Suliman? He calls in on quite a few radio talk shows. I know his voice now.

Frys Girl

Spikegirl..... last night someone asked George how he got a gig like C2C and whether he has advice. Well George is an a-hole in my opinion because he didn't bother to give any advice or say anything valuable for that matter. He said "I got started by working at a station.....media jobs along the way".  I bet he would LOVE to talk to callers like that. Vague, ambiguous and meaningless sentences.

My favorite caller is JC by a long shot. My least favorite caller is Oscar. Everyone else kinda just lends in to me. If we're talking guests though, my favorite is Dr. Michio Kaku. I absolutely loved his shows with Art. I'm not sure how often he does shows with George, if he does at all, since I rarely listen to Noory.

danDNA

Quote from: Spikegirl on September 10, 2008, 06:13:55 PM
Are you referring to Suliman? He calls in on quite a few radio talk shows. I know his voice now.

no, its another guy, i cant remember his name, its on the tip of my tongue......aaargh.....no....its no good.  Aaron maybe? Anton? could be Anton....

Spikegirl

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 10, 2008, 06:52:00 PM
Spikegirl..... last night someone asked George how he got a gig like C2C and whether he has advice. Well George is an a-hole in my opinion because he didn't bother to give any advice or say anything valuable for that matter. He said "I got started by working at a station.....media jobs along the way".  I bet he would LOVE to talk to callers like that. Vague, ambiguous and meaningless sentences.

I often wonder how he got that gig myself. I would say Noory's answers are lazy and half-assed--like everything else about him. He seems to hate dealing with the callers, unless they are kissing his rotund ass.

danDNA

i hate it when someone goes "George you are the greatest" and he just goes "thanks".is there no justice in this world?

Caruthers612

Quote from: danDNA on September 12, 2008, 01:21:38 PM
i hate it when someone goes "George you are the greatest" and he just goes "thanks".is there no justice in this world?

No. There is no justice. There is lettuce, however.

M

Quote from: Spikegirl on September 11, 2008, 01:02:41 PM
I often wonder how he got that gig myself. I would say Noory's answers are lazy and half-assed--like everything else about him. He seems to hate dealing with the callers, unless they are kissing his rotund ass.
I'm thinking it has something to do with his do-gooder persona. The people at Premere or whatever it is probably figured that no one can 'replace' Art Bell, so when Noory appears on the horizon with his cow eyes and save the children/angels rhetoric, they thought, aha, we'll veer in this direction. 

Quote from: danDNA on September 12, 2008, 01:21:38 PM

haloedorchid

The other day a man who had recently been released from a prison stint called in to ask a question and Noory started doing an impromptu interview with the guy.  Noory was asking him about what led him to prison, etc. and how Coast to Coast AM has a substantial incarcerated fanbase.  It seemed so pathetic and forced on Noory's part, like he was trying to earn some street cred by being down with the felons and understanding their plight.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: haloedorchid on September 30, 2008, 11:43:33 PM
...like he was trying to earn some street cred by being down with the felons and understanding their plight.
i know!! i can't see what his motive would be otherwise.  maybe in his mind he believes listeners will see him as being "compassionate" if he prattles on and on about how proud of his felon base he is.

news flash, george:  an overwhelming majority of americans don't give a shit about the plight of those who inhabit our prison system, and ingratiating yourself to them isn't winning you anything with your listeners.

Frys Girl

he was trying to earn some street cred by being down with the felons and understanding their plight.
Except he ended up losing like a big douche. I think George should try to do a prison appearance and see what happens. Street cred my @ss.

Spikegirl

The other day a man who had recently been released from a prison stint called in to ask a question and Noory started doing an impromptu interview with the guy.  Noory was asking him about what led him to prison, etc. and how Coast to Coast AM has a substantial incarcerated fanbase.  It seemed so pathetic and forced on Noory's part, like he was trying to earn some street cred by being down with the felons and understanding their plight.

It's my understanding that the prison population does not like to be asked 'what they did'. I gleaned this little bit of information from watching Kathy Griffin: The D List, or whatever the name of her show is. She went to Fulsome Prison and they briefed her on what to say and what not to say. One of the things they told her to stay away from was asking, "What did you do?".

EvB

Quote from: Spikegirl on October 01, 2008, 08:56:02 AM
One of the things they told her to stay away from was asking, "What did you do?".

Interesting.  It was apparent to me that the person I heard him talk to (not sure if this is the same one or not) about his prison term wasn't thrilled to be questioned.  George's way of "taking the hint" in that case was to go into his rap about how the only crimes he found unforgivable were coldblooded murder and child molestation.  DAMN!  I'm amazed the guy didn't just hang up on him. 

Frys Girl

He has foot in mouth disease. The first symptom is denial.

Spikegirl

Noory is the Joe Biden of the airwaves. Someone like George, with his obvious lack of talent, charisma and intelligence should not be allowed to man the airwaves night in and night out. It makes a mockery of any radio show, and especially one with the rabid cult following that Coast to Coast had. If the suits at Premrad had any brains, they would replace this hack with someone else. I'm past the point of thinking Art would ever return to Coast, but there are talented people out there who can host a show and even deal with the phone lines being down without losing it like George did recently.

I wonder if George is borderline retarded and the reason why Premrad is afraid of firing him is because they are afraid of a lawsuit. The IDEA act protects children with handicaps; I assume there is some type of law or act that protects adults with mental handicaps, as well. People of normal intelligence like David Lee Roth and Danny Bonaduce can be fired on a whim, contract or no contract. But someone who is mentally handicapped may be protected from this type of treatment. I'm just saying....

Frys Girl

Quote from: Spikegirl on October 01, 2008, 10:29:51 AM
some type of law or act that protects adults with mental handicaps, as well.
That is just ridiculous. I am trying to contact them. We should write them and complain. DAILY. http://www.premiereradio.com/pages/contact.html There's no way to contact them. I wish I had that autodialer that homer bought at a police auction. LOL.

First off, as a white person, having only been to a southern US jail for a short time, my best advice is don't ask anyone anything..at all. As long as everything is going smoothly, just mind your business and it should stay that way. Conversely, if someone gives you shit, go fucking crazy on their ass whether you have a fighting chance or not. Last thing you want to be is a bitch fish with a tight white ass.  ;)

But really, the jails I've seen aren't that bad. Most movies and television shows are usually referring to maximum security prisons in which they keep the really fucked up violent offenders. Even a guy who commits armed robbery isn't necessarily a violent man or a killer. Maybe just hungry and foolish. I met a few when I was inside.

To hear George talk about jail though reminds me of hearing a virgin choir boy talk about fucking a girl.

Spikegirl

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on October 01, 2008, 10:45:59 AM
First off, as a white person, having only been to a southern US jail for a short time, my best advice is don't ask anyone anything..at all. As long as everything is going smoothly, just mind your business and it should stay that way. Conversely, if someone gives you shit, go fucking crazy on their ass whether you have a fighting chance or not. Last thing you want to be is a bitch fish with a tight white ass.  ;)

But really, the jails I've seen aren't that bad. Most movies and television shows are usually referring to maximum security prisons in which they keep the really fucked up violent offenders. Even a guy who commits armed robbery isn't necessarily a violent man or a killer. Maybe just hungry and foolish. I met a few when I was inside.

To hear George talk about jail though reminds me of hearing a virgin choir boy talk about fucking a girl.

Get out! You've been to prison? I don't know why I find that so fascinating. I won't ask you what you did ;) but what was it like? I used to work with this guy who had been accused of murder (he says he didn't do it and I belive him). I went with his wife to visit him in prison. I also used to know this other guy that had stolen cars and sold them for parts. He did some time in prison too.

Frys Girl

I had a classmate who went to jail for prostitution. I won't tell you how I found out. I felt sorry for her. I couldn't help it. But I always want to ask her if the guy got in trouble for buying sex. Somehow I doubt it. In TV and film you just see the woman being cuffed and printed!

Everyone makes mistakes. I don't care if someone has been to jail. My grandfather was framed in Iran. It's one of the reasons I hate the shah SO MUCH and laugh when people say that Iran was great before the regime now. But if someone goes to jail, they're likely to not want to go back and reform, right? So I don't judge people in jail and hate that some people do. It ruins the entire system and encourages people to commit crimes again.

Quote from: Spikegirl on October 01, 2008, 11:27:31 AM
Get out! You've been to prison? I don't know why I find that so fascinating. I won't ask you what you did ;) but what was it like? I used to work with this guy who had been accused of murder (he says he didn't do it and I belive him). I went with his wife to visit him in prison. I also used to know this other guy that had stolen cars and sold them for parts. He did some time in prison too.

Oh well, I never did anything serious, but thanks for not asking specifics. Lol. My record is clean now anyways. I just had a rough few years after I turned 17. I guess the few main things I learned in prison are that

1) Innocent until proven guilty to a prison guard means nothing. You're guilty even before an arraignment.

2) It's often very cold due to the size of prisons and the way they're built down here. Again, the guards don't care.

3) The inmates in prison talk A LOT ABOUT NOTHING. Mostly about how many times they've been to prison, why they're not supposed to be there, how they violated parole, ect. Most of it is boring and I just ignored them and read or drew. 

4) The first night is the worst. I used my shoe for a pillow and slept on the holding cell floor with about 20-something people packed in a cold ass room like sardines.

5) The first night's "one call" rule isn't universal. Actually, most first-night holding cells here have dial-out phones in them that you can use at your discretion.

6) Good behavior goes a long way. They separate the good guys and bad guys by floors, and if you want good company, try to stay out of trouble.

7) The hose-down sucks. Badly.

That's about it really. It sucks to all hell, sure, but county/parish prisons are general medium to low security so, as long as you're on the right floor, you're usually able to keep to yourself and sail through your time. Making friends with the guards behind the other prisoner's backs is also key.

Spikegirl

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on October 01, 2008, 12:03:46 PM
Oh well, I never did anything serious, but thanks for not asking specifics. Lol. My record is clean now anyways. I just had a rough few years after I turned 17. I guess the few main things I learned in prison are that

Thank you for your answer. Pirate, I don't know why I thought you were only about 18 or so. I thought you said that was your age in one of your first posts. Anyway, we all chose to learn things the hard way sometimes. I know I have. I feel bad you were cold and miserable. Glad you're OK now.

Frys Girl

I wish one of us had stories about female jail. I've heard there's some interesting subculture in there.

Quote from: Spikegirl on October 01, 2008, 12:25:02 PM
I don't know why I thought you were only about 18 or so.

Well, they say habitual partying can keep you sort of stuck personality-wise around the age you started. Maybe it radiates more than I thought. Lol.

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 01, 2008, 12:57:33 PM
I wish one of us had stories about female jail. I've heard there's some interesting subculture in there.

I learned everything I need to know about that from a little movie called "Caged Heat".  ;)

Quote from: Spikegirl on October 01, 2008, 08:56:02 AM
One of the things they told her to stay away from was asking, "What did you do?".
I lived in the southwest for a little while and dated a guy who had been in jail. He apparently was only in there for like two weeks at the most. He always seemed proud to tell people he'd been in jail, and every once in a while he'd be like swapping stories with some other random person about jailtime. I don't remember what he did to get in there. Which brings me to my point. I think maybe you're not supposed to ask what they did, because most of them are, or want you to think they are, wrongly accused. But like if you ask them 'what are you in for?' maybe that's okay. Anybody? Bueller?

Spikegirl

Quote from: Art is the Best on October 01, 2008, 05:40:44 PM
I lived in the southwest for a little while and dated a guy who had been in jail. He apparently was only in there for like two weeks at the most. He always seemed proud to tell people he'd been in jail, and every once in a while he'd be like swapping stories with some other random person about jailtime. I don't remember what he did to get in there. Which brings me to my point. I think maybe you're not supposed to ask what they did, because most of them are, or want you to think they are, wrongly accused. But like if you ask them 'what are you in for?' maybe that's okay. Anybody? Bueller?

Hmmm...I'm not sure. I would still refrain from asking unless the person felt comfortable sharing this information. There are some subjects that are sensitive and the person being asked might feel like you are attacking them or interrogating them or perhaps even judging them if you asked.