• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on August 30, 2020, 03:21:44 PM
The guest had an interesting tale. Forgery and such is interesting.  I think some people, despite Ian's claims, have proven that 'peer review' is not always all that it is cracked up to be. The book seems intriguing and I might give it a read. I like/laugh that it won "National Book Critics Award," that suspiciously sounds like the various and sundry beer festivals that give brews like PBR an award.

One of the callers mentioned Mark Hofmann, the forger who hoodwinked the LDS church back in the 1980s.  If you're into great true crime, I recommend "The Mormon Murders" by Gregory White Smith and Steven Naifeh.  If Hofmann hadn't gotten greedy, he could have pulled off the perfect crime. 

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 30, 2020, 07:26:41 PM
One of the callers mentioned Mark Hofmann, the forger who hoodwinked the LDS church back in the 1980s.  If you're into great true crime, I recommend "The Mormon Murders" by Gregory White Smith and Steven Naifeh.  If Hofmann hadn't gotten greedy, he could have pulled off the perfect crime.

Thanks. I'm not a true crime fan like Ian but I do recall those events and sounds interesting read. Caveat, I do like true crime but not the more salaciious but forgery, art thefts, and academic frauds. And new religions, cults, sects, intentional communities are also interesting. Ian should do show on Mormonism irself. Very interesting hisrory and crazy stuff. Dare I say he should also do more, Walt be damned, on the more religious stuff. He is very milquetoast and ecumenial but could still have good 'take' on various splits, schisms, and sects and history thereof. Could bring good, fanatic callers also.

AvDaBr

96 year old Paul Hellyer is keeping Ian quiet for longer than I ever remember.  It started with the Nazi base in Antarctica.

Morgus

Ian isn't into all these conspiracies...

AvDaBr

Quote from: Morgus on August 30, 2020, 11:47:55 PM

Not at all.  If the guest wasn't 97 (Ian upped it by one when he mentioned age the second time) and hadn't agreed at the last minute to come on, I'm sure Ian would have gotten rid of him.

The man is incredibly lucid for 97 but gullible as they come and not because he's elderly, he's believed this shit for decades, there's not a conspiracy trope he isn't a true believer of.

Ian just let him ramble on. The best moment

Paul Hellyer: You're aware of the base on Mars?

Ian Punnett: *silence* .... um

Paul Hellyer: Well I talk to the man who was stationed there for 3 years.

Ian Punnett: *silence*

Ian went gentle on him but I give him credit for confronting Hellyer a few times, Ian asked him for names and other evidence a few times and Hellyer got defensive, giving 'i'm not going to do that' and 'it's in my book' type answers avoiding giving a real answer. Then Ian cleverly asked him 'Do you ever worry that people use your high ranking position to plant disinformation?'   Hellyer answered quickly 'Oh yes I know they do but over the past 15 years I've learned how to detect who is lying, I can tell with 98.9% accuracy.'  I could hear Ian's eyes rolling but the man is 97 so he finished the interview. All Hellyer's information according to him comes from top officials in the US government and military but he won't name names.

He was Minister of Defense of Canada for a short time I think ages and ages ago, the UFO and conspiracy theory con artists use him because it gives their bullshit credibility if they can connect themselves with a high ranking cabinet member of a G7 country. They imply that Hellyer holding that position would have had access to top secret information and that's why he believes little green men were captured at Roswell and Nazis had and still have a base in Antarctica and have infiltrated the US military etc  The truth is that Hellyer has never said he had learned of any of this shit from his time as defense minister. He's no different than your average UFO and conspiracy 'researcher' and enthusiast, he read some books and believed it all.

It does tell you what a lightweight country Canada is, to have a man this gullible in charge of your defense department is worthy of ridicule.

Jackstar

Your belief that there is "no base" on Mars in spite of significant evidence is just as retarded as anyone's blind, unfounded belief that there is.

You can do better, Walt. Put a little mustard on it. Clean the cobwebs out of those pipes!

ItsOver

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on August 31, 2020, 05:26:41 AM

...It does tell you what a lightweight country Canada is, to have a man this gullible in charge of your defense department is worthy of ridicule.
Heh, heh, heh.  Some of the beer and doughnuts aren’t bad, but “ey.”

Jackstar

Quote from: Morgus on August 30, 2020, 11:47:55 PM

When's he gonna do a deep dive on--*consults pocket list of cults*--Jesuit assassins? Oh, right, he's not into that.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on August 31, 2020, 05:26:41 AM
The man is incredibly lucid for 97 but gullible as they come and not because he's elderly, he's believed this shit for decades, there's not a conspiracy trope he isn't a true believer of.

Ian just let him ramble on. The best moment

Paul Hellyer: You're aware of the base on Mars?

Ian Punnett: *silence* .... um

Paul Hellyer: Well I talk to the man who was stationed there for 3 years.

Ian Punnett: *silence*

Ian went gentle on him but I give him credit for confronting Hellyer a few times, Ian asked him for names and other evidence a few times and Hellyer got defensive, giving 'i'm not going to do that' and 'it's in my book' type answers avoiding giving a real answer. Then Ian cleverly asked him 'Do you ever worry that people use your high ranking position to plant disinformation?'   Hellyer answered quickly 'Oh yes I know they do but over the past 15 years I've learned how to detect who is lying, I can tell with 98.9% accuracy.'  I could hear Ian's eyes rolling but the man is 97 so he finished the interview. All Hellyer's information according to him comes from top officials in the US government and military but he won't name names.

He was Minister of Defense of Canada for a short time I think ages and ages ago, the UFO and conspiracy theory con artists use him because it gives their bullshit credibility if they can connect themselves with a high ranking cabinet member of a G7 country. They imply that Hellyer holding that position would have had access to top secret information and that's why he believes little green men were captured at Roswell and Nazis had and still have a base in Antarctica and have infiltrated the US military etc  The truth is that Hellyer has never said he had learned of any of this shit from his time as defense minister. He's no different than your average UFO and conspiracy 'researcher' and enthusiast, he read some books and believed it all.

It does tell you what a lightweight country Canada is, to have a man this gullible in charge of your defense department is worthy of ridicule.

"The truth is that Hellyer has never said he had learned of any of this shit from his time as defense minister."

To more precise, he has said he never learned any of the things he talks about during his tenure as a member of the Canadian government.  Just flipping those few words around makes a huge difference. The former means he may have learned it but hasn't admitted it, the latter admits he never learned it while in any of his government posts.

The first time I heard Hellyer, at least 20 years ago, he talked strictly about UFOs, and in particular Roswell. His claims were pretty much the same as others on the Roswell bandwagon. I noted he didn't appear to provide any more information/conjecture about Roswell than did the Berlitzs, Friedmans, and Schmidts of the UFO world.  I don't remember who was interviewing him, but he was asked how much of what he had said was from official information he'd seen as defense minister.  After he said none of it, when he was then asked his sources, he simply said Phillip Corso's book.  As I recall, he explained he'd read Corso's book based on the recommendation of his son-in-law.  From Corso's book, he apparently expanded his reading list to include the multitude of other Roswell books, and apparently believed everything he read.

He claimed last night to have talked to a member of the US military who'd served on Mars, but declined to name him.  I'm betting it was Randy Cramer or Corey Goode.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 31, 2020, 09:36:18 AM
"The truth is that Hellyer has never said he had learned of any of this shit from his time as defense minister."

To more precise, he has said he never learned any of the things he talks about during his tenure as a member of the Canadian government.  Just flipping those few words around makes a huge difference. The former means he may have learned it but hasn't admitted it, the latter admits he never learned it while in any of his government posts.

The first time I heard Hellyer, at least 20 years ago, he talked strictly about UFOs, and in particular Roswell. His claims were pretty much the same as others on the Roswell bandwagon. I noted he didn't appear to provide any more information/conjecture about Roswell than did the Berlitzs, Friedmans, and Schmidts of the UFO world.  I don't remember who was interviewing him, but he was asked how much of what he had said was from official information he'd seen as defense minister.  After he said none of it, when he was then asked his sources, he simply said Phillip Corso's book.  As I recall, he explained he'd read Corso's book based on the recommendation of his son-in-law.  From Corso's book, he apparently expanded his reading list to include the multitude of other Roswell books, and apparently believed everything he read.

He claimed last night to have talked to a member of the US military who'd served on Mars, but declined to name him.  I'm betting it was Randy Cramer or Corey Goode.
If not for his age one might almost suspect he was a trained counter intelligence operative throwing every conspiracy theories in the book so as to discredit the some of the ones that might be truth. Ian was funny because he was torn with respecting your elders to "whoa, wtf is this guy saying" because at some points Hellyer was getting very close to "Joose" as a part of a grand, unified conspiracy theory and international banking but the NAZI involvement claims allowed Ian some space so he didn't jump in. I liked Ian trying to rationalize, to no avail, about reforming banking and helping the poor doesn't mean it has to be UFO space NAZIs cabal. Ian was exasperated when Hellyer claimed that he could ferret out untruths told to him.

Wasn't Basiago also on Mars (along with Obama) though I guess they were military so wouldn't count as possible source for Hellyer.  ;)

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on August 31, 2020, 07:33:50 PM
If not for his age one might almost suspect he was a trained counter intelligence operative throwing every conspiracy theories in the book so as to discredit the some of the ones that might be truth. Ian was funny because he was torn with respecting your elders to "whoa, wtf is this guy saying" because at some points Hellyer was getting very close to "Joose" as a part of a grand, unified conspiracy theory and international banking but the NAZI involvement claims allowed Ian some space so he didn't jump in. I liked Ian trying to rationalize, to no avail, about reforming banking and helping the poor doesn't mean it has to be UFO space NAZIs cabal. Ian was exasperated when Hellyer claimed that he could ferret out untruths told to him.

Wasn't Basiago also on Mars (along with Obama) though I guess they were military so wouldn't count as possible source for Hellyer.  ;)

A humorous post script to Ian's Hellyer interview.  Last night George was interviewing a guest about Coral Castle who was claiming the guy (Leedskalnin) who built it was a spy/International man of mystery.  Semi-regular caller and octogenarian Myet related to the guest in some detail what Hellyer had told Ian about the Nazis post WWII, then asked him if there was a connection between Hellyer's "documented" claims and Leedskalnin/Coral Castle.  Even George seemed taken aback.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 01, 2020, 11:26:59 AM

A humorous post script to Ian's Hellyer interview.  Last night George was interviewing a guest about Coral Castle who was claiming the guy (Leedskalnin) who built it was a spy/International man of mystery.  Semi-regular caller and octogenarian Myet related to the guest in some detail what Hellyer had told Ian about the Nazis post WWII, then asked him if there was a connection between Hellyer's "documented" claims and Leedskalnin/Coral Castle.  Even George seemed taken aback.
Myet, also pronounces it "EON" instead of Ian, like a few other callers do. She connected Coral Castle to espionage and "where we are right now" and the "proto-facism in our face." Guest had no way to respond. Norry guessed that Ed found the central banks for her.

DesertFox

Ian on Coast this weekend--bigfoot and secret Howard Hughes life...nice to see crazy subjects done with an intelligent, competent host for once.  A throwback to pre-George days.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: DesertFox on September 27, 2020, 02:25:28 AM
Ian on Coast this weekend--bigfoot and secret Howard Hughes life...nice to see crazy subjects done with an intelligent, competent host for once.  A throwback to pre-George days.

The retired GO Ian interviewed about Hughes was interviewed (with his co-author) four years ago on C2C by Syrett.  I was much more impressed with them in that interview than I was with him last night.  Together they had the story down much better.  What I can't figure out is if there has been an updated or later edition of the book they pitched in 2016 or was he talking last night about the same book?

Also Ian asked him last night a question near the end of the second hour of the interview (before taking calls) about the "who" his wife was afraid of.   I thought I heard him say the CIA stayed in touch with her husband after his death.  Either I misheard him or Ian didn't catch it because I'm sure he'd have jumped on afterlife communication relative to the story

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 27, 2020, 06:21:21 PM
The retired GO Ian interviewed about Hughes was interviewed (with his co-author) four years ago on C2C by Syrett.  I was much more impressed with them in that interview than I was with him last night.  Together they had the story down much better.  What I can't figure out is if there has been an updated or later edition of the book they pitched in 2016 or was he talking last night about the same book?

Also Ian asked him last night a question near the end of the second hour of the interview (before taking calls) about the "who" his wife was afraid of.   I thought I heard him say the CIA stayed in touch with her husband after his death.  Either I misheard him or Ian didn't catch it because I'm sure he'd have jumped on afterlife communication relative to the story
https://www.troymessenger.com/2010/08/06/boxes-the-secret-life-of-howard-hughes/

Unclear:

Amazon has

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Howard-Douglas-Wellman-2010-04-22/dp/B01FEKUEMO/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=BOXES+THE+SECRET+LIFE+OF+HOWARD+HUGHES&qid=1601253397&sr=8-3
2010-04-22 for $847.But others with Wellman and Musick.
https://www.amazon.com/Boxes-Secret-Life-Howard-Hughes/dp/1608081397/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=BOXES+THE+SECRET+LIFE+OF+HOWARD+HUGHES&qid=1601253542&sr=8-1

Silphion

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 27, 2020, 06:21:21 PM

I recall the Syrett interview years ago and did some investigation at the time.
There is plenty of evidence to debunk the story, but Hughes related is still of interest.

https://howardhughesboxcutter.blogspot.com/

albrecht

https://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=3.msg1427248#msg1427248   <--from the Jorch Norway thread. I guess Ian went off on Mike the Millennial

Ian, the Deacon, seems to have no big problem with excessive drinking or even heroin. He also claims someone can't die of hypothermia if it is "not below freezing out." Not true, at all. This was with regard to Bon Scott's death. Hypothermia begins when one's body is less than 95F. Actually alcohol can make it even easier to die of hypothermia and in temperatures "not below freezing."  Though I also disagree with the caller who said that someone "couldn't die just from snorting heroin, even if he was drunk." 
Caller Howard brought up Elvira and that her hometown was Manhattan, Kansas. Caller didn't bring up if she was a member of BG. But the Deacon mentioned that there were "two reasons" young men liked Elvira.   https://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=13178.0 

Carlos from Carson, Ca called in with his usual good stuff. He calls more into Clyde and such. This time about Mullholland Drive and the 'military' or CIA and Jim Morrison, Frank Zappa, Joplin, Buffalo Springfield, etc and Mind Control and then  they 'die at 27' stuff.

some links for Ian:
https://jaysanalysis.com/2014/05/22/hollywood-occult-brainwashing-in-lynchs-mulholland-drive/   
https://www.amazon.com/Weird-Scenes-Inside-Canyon-Laurel/dp/1909394122

Bob in Hawaii, Van Halen's original name was Mammoth. They would play Pasadena and parties and police helicopters would be overhead and we would flip them off. David Lee Roth's was bankrolling them who was a dentist.

albrecht

I wonder if Jorch Norway or Premier will make some repercussions to Ian for his 'advice'  to Norway's new pet "Mike the Milennial" and his general treatment of the frequent callers- sometimes referred to here as the 'sad pack?'

The "Mexican Slavery" show was interesting. Nothing new but, I guess new to many?  I enjoyed the speculation about how the Ancient culture, the Conquistador culture, and the corruption made the current state of affairs and also a degree of machismo and brutality. And death cults, with regard to the Cartels and acceptance of populace to corruption and toil.

It also allowed Ian, and to a degree his guest, to pontificate on his liberal views and politics. I think a thread was lost when he was pointed out how much the Northern banks and financiers were making from the cotton and slave trade, so why then support the war? Also they ignored the plight of Northern workers in factories and such that also faced bad labor conditions and a form, using the term loosely, of slavery and were often foreign imports. There were riots against the war by them in places.  And nobody discussed Oriental labor, especially Chinese in the Western part of the country. 

I don't think Ian was totally wrong about immigrants but he also refused to point out (as guest did with slavery) how technology and/or foreign labor made the slaves lose value. Likewise technology will make these 'hard worker' illegals lose value. (Guest pointed out machinery production and also cotton being planted elsewhere- like Egypt and India) was undermining value of slaves in  the USA already.

Juan

Why did the northern industrialists support the war? Because Lincoln supported a national bank and a 47% protective tariff, most of which was paid by the south.  Lincoln also supported what we call corporatism now - particularly helping graft through the public/private funding of railroads.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Juan on October 11, 2020, 02:59:08 PM
Why did the northern industrialists support the war? Because Lincoln supported a national bank and a 47% protective tariff, most of which was paid by the south.  Lincoln also supported what we call corporatism now - particularly helping graft through the public/private funding of railroads.

Next thing you know the Rockfellers own everything, run everything. Then came the Bush dynasty.

Jackstar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 11, 2020, 03:06:48 PM
Next thing you know the Rockfellers own everything, run everything. Then came the Bush dynasty.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jackstar on October 11, 2020, 05:12:14 PM

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Oh, and L. Ron Hubbard did?! ::) ;D

pate

AZZERAE

Quote from: pate on November 14, 2020, 03:44:30 AM

https://youtu.be/aLB_hNr375o

Punnett is a bright guy. Of all his fill in hostings on Coast, I don't recall hearing a bad show.

Ciardelo

Quote from: pate on November 14, 2020, 03:44:30 AM

https://youtu.be/aLB_hNr375o

This is good stuff. Mykael needs to see this to deal with his righteous anger about having ass cancer.

ItsOver

Quote from: AZZERAE on November 14, 2020, 06:36:36 AM
Punnett is a bright guy. Of all his fill in hostings on Coast, I don't recall hearing a bad show.
Punnett engages with the guests and has interesting discussions, unlike Snoorway, who bumbles along, with stock, scripted questions and moronic comments. Punnett, Syrett, and Knapp are the only hosts worth tuning into, unless you’re looking for cheap, unintentional comedy, courtesy of Snoorway.  I’m also glad Church is no longer around.  I always felt like I needed a deep scrub down in a hot shower, after hearing his voice.