• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Fox confirms X-Files reboot talks; Anderson & Duchovny may reprise roles

Started by bateman, January 17, 2015, 06:07:22 PM

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 17, 2015, 11:23:46 PM
If "X-Files" comes back, I will not be surprised if it goes the same route as "Dark Matter".  Not predicting it will fold in six weeks, but I do think the show faces the exact same issues that made Art's return to radio a non-starter almost from day one. 

First and foremost, the genre has been over done.  TV is saturated with paranormal programming, both reality and drama; the same thing applies to conspiracy theory programming.  What was a novel, once a week look into the unknown is now on multiple times a night on a myriad of channels/networks.  Further, the two technological advances the "X-Files" played up back in the day, the internet and cell phones, are no longer a "gee whiz" source of wonderment to the average TV viewer as it was 20+ years ago.  Today's kids are going to shrug their shoulders when the "Lone Gunmen" find/hack some obscure website, then call the agents in a dark alley somewhere via cell to let them know.

Fans of the original show will watch initially for nostalgia purposes, but soon will realize the concept is dated and they've grown beyond it.  Just like "Dark Matter", it will retain a vocal, loyal following that will slowly fade. I just hope Carter/Duchovny/Anderson et al don't whine/point fingers/quit when their audience numbers go tits-up

Normally, I'd be even more skeptical than you about a reboot like this. But I am optimistic because I think the creative team here is not only aware of all the pitfalls you mentioned, but talented enough to overcome them. With the second movie, a big problem was that the budget didn't allow Carter to make the movie he wanted to make. I doubt he'll allow himself to get hamstrung like that again.

This X-Files will, I think, be very familiar to the fans, but will not get stuck in the past. I expect creativity and innovation to be applied so that the mix of old and new will work. I was that impressed with the whole crew involved in the original series. They set a very high standard.

EDIT:

I now notice that your post is a year old. Silly me. Don't know if your feelings have changed, but we'll soon see what's what with this reboot.

Spinner

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 10, 2016, 10:38:11 PM
202 episodes. I'll never make it.
What season/episode are you at so far? I hope that you at least make it through the end of Season 3.
Who needs sleep when your mind is stimulated? ;)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Spinner on January 10, 2016, 11:43:25 PM

What season/episode are you at so far? I hope that you at least make it through the end of Season 3.
Who needs sleep when your mind is stimulated? ;)

I've decided to wait. I am not in the mood to start watching that many shows right now. Last year I cut the cable off, and weaned myself from the television. I don't want to get sucked back in to the boob tube right now.

I read the wiki entry for the show, and I think it would be something I could enjoy... Just not right now. MV needs the Adsense revenue for all of those diapers.

Praise MV!

PrairieGhost

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 11, 2016, 12:43:52 AM
I've decided to wait. I am not in the mood to start watching that many shows right now. Last year I cut the cable off, and weaned myself from the television. I don't want to get sucked back in to the boob tube right now.

I read the wiki entry for the show, and I think it would be something I could enjoy... Just not right now. MV needs the Adsense revenue for all of those diapers.

Praise MV!

I stopped watching TV and it's one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. I do watch docs on netflix though.

Spinner

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 11, 2016, 12:43:52 AM

Praise MV!
I understand. I stopped watching TV about ten years ago, sold it and never missed it. About five years ago, a friend loaned me one when I was very sick, and did watch a few hours (can't remember what) over the course of a month. He never pick it up, so it's been stored away gathering dust. My project for the weekend is to clean it up and  connect it. I don't have cable, so think I'll have to attach rabbit ears or something.
Anything for The X Files. I can hardly wait! :)

ItsOver

Quote from: Spinner on January 11, 2016, 02:30:59 PM

I understand. I stopped watching TV about ten years ago, sold it and never missed it. About five years ago, a friend loaned me one when I was very sick, and did watch a few hours (can't remember what) over the course of a month. He never pick it up, so it's been stored away gathering dust. My project for the weekend is to clean it up and  connect it. I don't have cable, so think I'll have to attach rabbit ears or something.
Anything for The X Files. I can hardly wait! :)
I've been cable/satellite free for awhile now.  OTA with MeTV, AntennaTV, Movies!, ThisTV, GetTV, Grit, CoziTV, CometTV are enough for me.  Fortunately the majors, including Fox, still do OTA, as well, so I'll be tuning in for X-Files.

I'm about 20 miles from a major metro and this little number is good enough for me.

Less than $10 when I got it.

Better quality images than I got with DirectTV and all for nothing.  I just have to endure the stupid commericals but most of the time I DVR shows in advance and just fast forward through the junk.

Juan

There will be only six episodes, so that's not a lot of investment.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 17, 2015, 11:23:46 PM
If "X-Files" comes back, I will not be surprised if it goes the same route as "Dark Matter".  Not predicting it will fold in six weeks, but I do think the show faces the exact same issues that made Art's return to radio a non-starter almost from day one. 

First and foremost, the genre has been over done.  TV is saturated with paranormal programming, both reality and drama; the same thing applies to conspiracy theory programming.  What was a novel, once a week look into the unknown is now on multiple times a night on a myriad of channels/networks.  Further, the two technological advances the "X-Files" played up back in the day, the internet and cell phones, are no longer a "gee whiz" source of wonderment to the average TV viewer as it was 20+ years ago.  Today's kids are going to shrug their shoulders when the "Lone Gunmen" find/hack some obscure website, then call the agents in a dark alley somewhere via cell to let them know.

Fans of the original show will watch initially for nostalgia purposes, but soon will realize the concept is dated and they've grown beyond it.  Just like "Dark Matter", it will retain a vocal, loyal following that will slowly fade. I just hope Carter/Duchovny/Anderson et al don't whine/point fingers/quit when their audience numbers go tits-up

Problem with Art's comeback is that his rolodex is stuck in the 90s, and half the people on it are dead or not interested or available.  If you think about all the crazy shit that drew people in and made those magical days of radio and it was your only point of reference for understanding human culture, you might believe the world was a completely different place than it is in the post 9/11 world.

Thing is that despite the industry that alternative or paranormal radio has become, there's still nobody doing what Art managed. Where did all the stories go to? Where are the modern Bob Lazars and Phoenix Lights stories?  We have the Kepler story and even a Wow Signal story which gained traction in the media, but news passes so quickly nowdays and is drowned out by stories of terrorism and politics.  The world really does seem to be a different place, or at least human interest has been drawn away to something else.

X-files on the other hand really is overdone. It went on for what, 9 seasons?

Philosopher

Quote from: Emergency Bacon on January 12, 2016, 10:23:29 AM

X-files on the other hand really is overdone. It went on for what, 9 seasons?

I love the X-Files, but it should have stopped at 7 seasons.  The last 2 seasons almost destroyed the brand.  They might make more than 6 new episodes, but I think this effort is more of a nod to the old fans rather than an attempt to get serious numbers of new fans. 

Quote from: trostol on January 12, 2016, 11:01:25 PM
they are on kimmel right now

they didnt age well

I saw them om Kimmel. Great skit, too! I think they both look amazing!

trostol

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 12, 2016, 11:53:43 PM
I saw them om Kimmel. Great skit, too! I think they both look amazing!

they looked better on the show then the skit

i liked she talked about....moistness

Quote from: trostol on January 12, 2016, 11:57:48 PM
they looked better on the show then the skit

i liked she talked about....moistness

I think DD is hittin` that thing.

VtaGeezer

I've seen the trailer.  Gillian A. may want to watch how they light her.   :o

trostol

chefist

Does anyone remember that the x-files was on Friday nights! After Sightings? Sightings was a LMH show...fun days back then...

onan

Quote from: chefist on January 17, 2016, 10:43:59 PM
Does anyone remember that the x-files was on Friday nights! After Sightings? Sightings was a LMH show...fun days back then...

You youngsters, with your memory.

trostol

Quote from: chefist on January 17, 2016, 10:43:59 PM

i remember it being on fridays..here is my question..a friend insisted ST:TNG was on Fox originally...was it?

chefist

Quote from: onan on January 17, 2016, 10:44:53 PM
You youngsters, with your memory.

I first watched after I arrived in Biloxi...after basic training...I hadn't seen TV in two months... That might explain my desperation... Lol

onan

Quote from: trostol on January 17, 2016, 10:46:48 PM
i remember it being on fridays..here is my question..a friend insisted ST:TNG was on Fox originally...was it?

quick google says: was syndicated on initial release.

Quote from: onan on January 17, 2016, 10:37:34 PM
"sigh"

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/01/x-files-2016-reboot-review

I heard from a rather significant number of hardcore xphiles that were invited to a pre-screening, and their impressions were radically different. I`ll go with the hardcore xphiles 8).

onan

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 17, 2016, 11:24:12 PM
I heard from a rather significant number of hardcore xphiles that were invited to a pre-screening, and their impressions were radically different. I`ll go with the hardcore xphiles 8).

Oh, I'm watching, bud. I have cleared the calendar.

trostol

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 17, 2016, 11:24:12 PM

probably..but some times those hardcore fans can not see things in a negative way