• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Steve Warner's Dark City

Started by bateman, October 27, 2013, 03:54:49 PM

Lilith

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 22, 2016, 04:41:24 AM
Did brig or someone record it?

I did. Emailed it to bateman this morning when I woke up.

Quote from: brig on February 22, 2016, 05:18:13 AM

Cool. I'm sure he will post it.

Great job Brig!

Lilith

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 22, 2016, 05:28:36 AM
Cool. I'm sure he will post it.

Great job Brig!

No doubt he will, he asked me for it, so I'm sure he plans to post it when he has time.  ;D  I was so glad I did, I am old, and I fell asleep shortly after the first caller, so I am enjoying the rest of it now with my morning coffee  ;D

Lilith

As I'm listening to this program, I'm wondering what would happen to these immortal transhumans if they get swallowed up and burried in an earthquake or sink hole?  Do they live forever in the dark alone, trapped and broken underground?

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: brig on February 22, 2016, 05:39:46 AM
As I'm listening to this program, I'm wondering what would happen to these immortal transhumans if they get swallowed up and burried in an earthquake or sink hole?  Do they live forever in the dark alone, trapped and broken underground?

Hi Brig, enjoying my morning coffee too. That's a murky area. There's always a way to die, no amount of technology will save you if you get vaporized for example, but there could well be cases where people end up in a situation where they would want to die but can't, such as buried in a sink hole. The wildcard of that situation would be virtual reality, if you've got implants that let you live in a virtual utopia then you could simply "turn off" the real world and live whatever way you want in your head. But you're still going to need energy, so such a situation would ultimately end in death because you can't eat or recharge anything.

onan

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on February 22, 2016, 10:28:18 AM
Hi Brig, enjoying my morning coffee too. That's a murky area. There's always a way to die, no amount of technology will save you if you get vaporized for example, but there could well be cases where people end up in a situation where they would want to die but can't, such as buried in a sink hole. The wildcard of that situation would be virtual reality, if you've got implants that let you live in a virtual utopia then you could simply "turn off" the real world and live whatever way you want in your head. But you're still going to need energy, so such a situation would ultimately end in death because you can't eat or recharge anything.

You're forgetting Breatherians.

Lilith

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on February 22, 2016, 10:28:18 AM

I was listening to your call this morning SciFiAuthor.  I enjoyed listening to you and bateman converse.  I know you will understand when I say that turning on a virtual reality doesn't sound very comforting.  :o :-*

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: brig on February 22, 2016, 11:02:07 AM
I was listening to your call this morning SciFiAuthor.  I enjoyed listening to you and bateman converse.  I know you will understand when I say that turning on a virtual reality doesn't sound very comforting.  :o :-*

Thanks Brig, hope I didn't sound too loopy. I have a horrible cold and was all hopped up on cold medicine and bourbon shots (for medicinal purposes). Indeed, the idea of being trapped and retreating into a virtual reality seems disturbing. But it really just goes back to the brain in the jar concept of Descartes, if you replace all sensory input with artificial input, then that brain cannot tell that it's living in a virtual reality. For all we know, we're doing that right now. We could be trapped in a mine living in a virtual reality as we speak and because we have only our senses to describe the world around us, we might never know any better. Fool the senses completely and you have a new reality every bit as real as the "real" world as far as you're concerned.

Soylentblue

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 22, 2016, 12:51:43 AM
I do understand where you're coming from.  Personally I wish Cruz would temper the religious talk and talk more about constitutional principles.  That is his selling point to me.  I will vote for Trump if he is the nominee but I have no idea what is going to happen when he has his first Trumper tantrum with a foreign country.

I'm not from the U.S. but my understanding of the presidency is that the office doesn't really have much power aside from the veto.

What strikes me is the amount of hate that there seems to be driving his popularity. It is scary and reminiscent of Nazi Germany.

Lilith

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on February 22, 2016, 11:24:51 AM
Thanks Brig, hope I didn't sound too loopy. I have a horrible cold and was all hopped up on cold medicine and bourbon shots (for medicinal purposes). Indeed, the idea of being trapped and retreating into a virtual reality seems disturbing. But it really just goes back to the brain in the jar concept of Descartes, if you replace all sensory input with artificial input, then that brain cannot tell that it's living in a virtual reality. For all we know, we're doing that right now. We could be trapped in a mine living in a virtual reality as we speak and because we have only our senses to describe the world around us, we might never know any better. Fool the senses completely and you have a new reality every bit as real as the "real" world as far as you're concerned.

I thought you sounded great.  I had an idea what you were going to say having posted a bit with you during an AI oriented program on MITD a while back.

Faustina

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 22, 2016, 02:03:37 AM
Bateman did live calls, wow can't wait to listen!

It was great.  Even better than the first live show.  Lively, fun chat on the DTRN website too.

Steve is going to (try to but hopefully hard) do a live show every Sunday night now.  I believe next Sunday with a guest. 

Faustina

I found Steve's surmise about the possibility of Hillary being indicted over the email thang, and having to drop out and Biden then coming in, fascinating.  If that actually happens the drama of this Presidential election will ramp up several notches. 

onan

Perhaps getting out of the echo chamber would help with a more thorough understanding of what happened. I don't claim to be an expert and I certainly have no love for Hillary, but this indictment stuff... yeah, not going to happen.

starrmtn001

Praise Brig. ;D  Thanks kiddo!

you sounded awesome !!!!!   really enjoyed hearing you  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

trostol

Quote from: Showroom Dummy on February 22, 2016, 06:17:55 PM
you sounded awesome !!!!!   really enjoyed hearing you  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

he was mad at me..i forced him to call so he says then missed him calling in lol

Faustina

Quote from: onan on February 22, 2016, 02:39:44 PM
Perhaps getting out of the echo chamber would help with a more thorough understanding of what happened. I don't claim to be an expert and I certainly have no love for Hillary, but this indictment stuff... yeah, not going to happen.

I note the way you had to so subtly put me down before stating your opposing opinion.  I feel for people who have the need to belittle others in order to make themselves feel superior. 

onan

Quote from: Faustina on February 22, 2016, 06:26:47 PM
I note the way you had to so subtly put me down before stating your opposing opinion.  I feel for people who have the need to belittle others in order to make themselves feel superior.

Think whatever you want, I didn't put anyone down, other than to suggest that there is an echo chamber. 
To add, I didn't give your specific post any more weight than the other posts around it.

Oh, I think I see now, I went back and looked at the posts. To see what I did to offend. Sorry, but that wasn't a put down of you.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: trostol on February 22, 2016, 06:21:36 PM
he was mad at me..i forced him to call so he says then missed him calling in lol

Pfffft, you prodded me into calling in about transhumanism, said "meh" and promptly turned your radio off as soon as I got on. Then you turned the show back on when I was finished. I know how you are.

trostol

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on February 22, 2016, 06:42:44 PM
Pfffft, you prodded me into calling in about transhumanism, said "meh" and promptly turned your radio off as soon as I got on. Then you turned the show back on when I was finished. I know how you are.

ha haha..if it was only that simple

albrecht

Unfortunately I missed the show. Will it be posted on the soundcloud archive  or someplace?
ps: Hillary won't be indicted, much less imprisoned, barring the extreme outside possibility that she switches Parties or she loses the election badly and the outgoing Democrat appointees, and Obama, want a pound of flesh.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on February 22, 2016, 06:42:44 PM
lmao 

Quote from: Faustina on February 22, 2016, 01:24:01 PM
It was great.  Even better than the first live show.  Lively, fun chat on the DTRN website too.

Steve is going to (try to but hopefully hard) do a live show every Sunday night now.  I believe next Sunday with a guest.

Well hopefully it'll be on earlier than 11PM Eastern so us working stiffs on the east coast can actually take part as well.  We can't really listen to MiTD or Hoagland's very easily and now it seem's Dark City is gonna follow suit as well.  Too bad as Steve is based in NYC.

Faustina

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 22, 2016, 06:58:59 PM
Well hopefully it'll be on earlier than 11PM Eastern so us working stiffs on the east coast can actually take part as well.  We can't really listen to MiTD or Hoagland's very easily and now it seem's Dark City is gonna follow suit as well.  Too bad as Steve is based in NYC.

Perhaps he could start at least an hour earlier, to give the East Coasters who hold down a 9-to-5 job an opportunity to listen live and the chance to call in.

Gemstone

You sounded great! Knowledgable and well spoken.

Faustina

Looking forward to hearing it again. 

bateman

A federal judge on Tuesday ruled that State Department officials and top aides to Hillary Clinton should be questioned under oath about whether they intentionally thwarted federal open records laws by using or allowing the use of a private email server throughout Clinton’s tenure as secretary of state from 2009 to 2013.

Gulp.

onan

Quote from: bateman on February 23, 2016, 02:19:13 PM
Gulp.

Help me out here, you're in the know. What laws did Hillary break? Yes she was stupid, and might have purposefully broken a law, I don't know. But there does seem to be a great deal of contempt for what I think occurred.

albrecht

Quote from: onan on February 23, 2016, 03:00:39 PM
Help me out here, you're in the know. What laws did Hillary break? Yes she was stupid, and might have purposefully broken a law, I don't know. But there does seem to be a great deal of contempt for what I think occurred.
Ignoring whatever might have been discussed in her emails or what was hacked from the unsecured, private server I've heard these are the main ones:
18 U.S.C Sec. 793(f)
Executive Order 13526
Section 1236.22 of the Federal Records Act
FOIA violations
State Dept policy (warning opens pdf:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/88404.pdf )
I'm sure they can come up with more considering the sheer amount of laws and regulations we have and once they actually get access to all the emails. I still think she will get away with whatever she did though I hope I'm wrong.

Back to subject. Is Sunday's show going to be posted anywhere?

bateman

Quote from: onan on February 23, 2016, 03:00:39 PM

There's a good dozen or so charges that have been floated, just based on what's publicly known, but these are the most serious:

Quote18 U.S. Code § 793 â€" Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information

18 U.S. Code § 798 â€" Disclosure of classified information

U.S. Code § 1924 â€" Unauthorized removal and retention of classified documents or material

And the entire setup was clearly designed to circumvent FOIA request procedure, so that right there violates the records act. You don't put a server in a bathroom closet in a Denver apartment if you're doing things on the up-and-up.