• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

New Recession coming (or just a double-dip) in 2014?

Started by Ravenna, December 05, 2013, 12:18:56 PM

Ravenna

Not sure what will happen if the stock market takes a big slide, but it could be bad.  Both this financial expert (see link) and Tom Sullivan, a financial expert who has his own talk radio show and is on a business show on FOX, predict this will occur (Tom thinks in the first quarter of 2014).

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/icahn-cautious-stocks-not-walk-away-apple-202647025--sector.html

Caruthers612

There better not be another recession or deeper one coming up. If there is I'm done. Finished. Moving to parts unknown. I want my goddamn PROSPERITY back! I don't know how many of you are old enough to really remember the old America, where abundance was the order of the day. We were joyously rich, fat and happy, had something called disposable income. I used to go online just to look for stuff to buy. Dropping money on needless trinkets was a birthright. Now we're like a bunch o' third worlders discussing which type of mud hut is most likely to withstand the next typhoon. I don't care about the world, I'm not here to liberate the oppressed or save the spotted horny toad, I just want my goddamn twenty-four hour sales reps ready to answer the phone at 3 a.m. when I decide to add some more zeroes to my credit card balance buying kitchen appliances I will never use and a six-pack of spray-on hair.

Quote from: Ravenna on December 05, 2013, 12:18:56 PM
Not sure what will happen if the stock market takes a big slide, but it could be bad.  Both this financial expert (see link) and Tom Sullivan, a financial expert who has his own talk radio show and is on a business show on FOX, predict this will occur (Tom thinks in the first quarter of 2014).

Very interesting. How will you manage this situation? Would you go into bonds, currency, land, stocks of companies that are not affected by interest rates (high profit per employee companies)? Gold? 

zeebo

Ok what the heck I'll go on record here.  I think next year will have more volatility but we'll actually probably end up a bit higher a year from now, with slightly improving employment numbers, anemic but positive growth, etc. 

Now I think if we were actually experiencing reality, and not this prolonged situation of massive monetary manipulation along with ongoing basically institutionalized massive gov't borrowing, then I think we'd be much much lower.  However, I think that they'll be able to keep the economy basically propped up for maybe 1-3 years before the actual major problems hit.  When it happens, it will be more than a typical recession, it will be a major debt/interest rate/currency/credit crisis.  We will trigger it, but it will be global in nature. 

The sad part is that when it happens historians will look back and see how it didn't have to come to that.  The tragedy could have been avoided.  We already have outlines of budget/tax reform plans that could gradually and responsibly get us back on track towards growth and prosperity instead of debt and stagnation.  If only we had some wise and courageous leaders who saw themselves as stewards of our long-term future, instead of just playing the same old short-term political games.  But I am absolutely convinced now that they're gonna run us over the cliff, regardless of which party's in power. 

But until then, yeah, no worries.   :)

Quote from: Ravenna on December 05, 2013, 12:18:56 PM

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/icahn-cautious-stocks-not-walk-away-apple-202647025--sector.html

The economy and the stock market are not the same thing.  Certain segments of the market have been doing well for years now, but the economy has been flat.

Ravenna

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 06, 2013, 02:01:17 AM

The economy and the stock market are not the same thing.  Certain segments of the market have been doing well for years now, but the economy has been flat.

True, but very often a Recession (or a Depression) starts with a big stock market sell off.  That happened in the Great Depression, and also in the Recession of 2008.  I remember sitting at work, and hearing from a co-worker how badly the stock market was diving, and thinking, "This won't be good."  It wasn't. 

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 06, 2013, 02:01:17 AM

The economy and the stock market are not the same thing. 

The Dow Jones Industrial 30 is always a laugh. If one of the 30 companies is doing badly, they just pull it out and put in someone that is doing well. Hey, everything is doing great. Now that's an indicator.