• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

ShayP

After reading the last several plus posts I can say it's clear we are all having similar senses.  Seems like this has become somewhat of a therapy session.  Then again, this site is therapy in dealing with C2C and Noory.  It makes me feel comfort in knowing we all struggle with "things" at times...or all the time.  Me, I feel alone even though there are people around me.  HorrorRetro spoke of being cynical, tired, and sick of most everything and most everyone.  I've felt that for a long time.

EMPATHY.

That being said, I would like to stay true to the topic of 'what annoys....'  Well, the lack of empathy that exists annoys me.

Clearly we are virtual strangers but we display empathy.....that is a good thing.  Cheers.

b_dubb

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 29, 2012, 05:46:47 PMHopefully, I go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

lol. thanks for lightening the mood Eddie

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: b_dubb on August 29, 2012, 06:53:24 PM
lol. thanks for lightening the mood Eddie
It's my solitary function, sir. The grim reaper with a whoopee cushion.

onan

I bumped into this blog.

On aging... kind of interesting

http://www.timegoesby.net/

HorrorRetro

Family and friends who loudly proclaim they're going to be there when you need them, but when the time comes, they are nowhere to be found.

I'm used to being on my own.  I've been married to the Army for almost 18 years.  However, when my husband is over in Kandahar for the better part of a year and my daughter is on a mission to Central America with the Coast Guard, I would appreciate a call or e-mail or something from those who claimed they'd be there for me.  I always try to remember special dates and such and ask how people are doing, but the favor never seems to be returned.  I'm finding I like people less every day.  Thank God for the Internet.  I can only imagine how military spouses dealt with long separations in the past.  At least I can talk to my husband and daughter on a regular basis.

ziznak

Like ShayP I too am annoyed by the overall lack of empathy in the world... what annoys me even more is the notion that caring about stuff is seen as being weak.  No matter how you look at it we all basically live alone in our own heads.  You can talk to loved ones and be as close as you want with another human being but they will never be able to fully understand the world as seen through your eyes... works the same in reverse as well.  So as much as we try to care and be empathetic in the end you are only going to feel what you are reading as seen by you.  This doesn't mean that you shouldn't care though but I guess we all need to draw the line somewhere.
Makes no sense to compare one man's pain to anothers.  We all suffer alone equally.

apologies for the drivel...

Eddie Coyle

Shitheads who don't quite grasp the anonymous part of AA. I hear it all the time(not directed at me, I'm a drunk not an alcoholic)....the following are examples I hear yelled across crowded city streets.

"Hey Smitty, you goin' to the meetin' tonite?, see ya at St Pete's"

"Hey Fitzie, my sponsah said I got to apologize to you"

"Hey, Sully I got my 30 day chip today...and you said I couldn't do it, I win that bet you cock-suckah"

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 28, 2012, 11:20:09 PM
The wise fucks put "DEA WINS" on the refrigerator using my friend's younger brother's magnets. But those fucks got nothing.

good.  fuck 'em.

McPhallus

Back in the 90s, I had a friend who was in AA, and almost his entire social circle (like 90%) was made up of fellow drunks.  I was part of a small niche of his computer friends, but AA was just about this guy's whole world.  Nearly all his friends and all the women he dated came from AA.  One person told me that once an alcoholic joins AA, the organization becomes their new drink of choice.

ziznak

Thats true of a lot of those groups... the born again AA and NA guys are the worst Jesus freaks you'll ever see.  Who would have thought you could turn Jesus into a drug... but thats what it is... that whole support group and religous "witnessing" is their new addiction. 

coaster

Quote from: ziznak on August 30, 2012, 06:57:43 PM
Thats true of a lot of those groups... the born again AA and NA guys are the worst Jesus freaks you'll ever see.  Who would have thought you could turn Jesus into a drug... but thats what it is... that whole support group and religous "witnessing" is their new addiction.
I once went to an AA meeting. it was to support a friend. (I'm ok with my drinking). There was this guy there who followed everyone around with a coffee pot talking about how he was a carpenter just like Jesus. Every word was about God. how Jesus saved him and he could save all of us too if we became carpenters and drank coffee. Not really the last part, but it was a bit much. it was really annoying. The rest was sob stories about how tragic everyone's life was. I couldn't imagine a place more depressing. I went straight to the bar after I left. I'll keep my booze thank you.

Eddie Coyle

I went to a couple of AA meetings in the spring of 1992. With the full intention of possibly acquiring "easy action". I was 16(looked older) and it seemed like an ingenious plan. What a depressing, miserable experience... my exploitative cynicism has it's limits. My master plan was shelved and not to be mentioned ever again. Well, at least until a few days later...

*** Depressing, miserable being the tone after watching this very,very attractive girl, probably not older than 23, tell a wonderful story about her multiple abortions due to drunken one night stands. I remember one of the voices in my head saying "nice plan asshole, maybe you can get a dead fetus out of this...good work, Einstein"

I'm currently in a 12 step program that promises to help me post my talent less often in this sinkhole.

hahahahaha

Aw, I'm just kiddin'. 

You guys are alright...

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

stevesh

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 30, 2012, 08:28:55 PM

I went to a couple of AA meetings in the spring of 1992. With the full intention of possibly acquiring "easy action". I was 16(looked older) and it seemed like an ingenious plan. What a depressing, miserable experience... my exploitative cynicism has it's limits.

Guessing you might have had better luck at Overeaters Anonymous.

Another annoyance - seems like the social media sites have taken over from the ad servers for slowing certain websites' loading time down to a crawl. Facebook and Twitter can't disappear fast enough, sez me.

Eddie Coyle

Sunday, May 25, 1986. Hands Across America.

The provenance of my misanthropy...or close to it.

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 04, 2012, 01:17:49 AM

The provenance of my misanthropy...or close to it.

Yeah, Hands Across America was a confluence of many of the things I hate: Large groups of non-thinking mouth breathers. Mouth breathers that think standing akimbo is the same thing as doing something noble. Businesses that want to make a buck off of mouth breathers in a group. "Artists" that want to share their vision of peace and happiness in song and T shirts.

We are the world would have been a much better song if they had video of the hand holders being ran over by truckers.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: onan on September 04, 2012, 05:33:30 AM
Yeah, Hands Across America was a confluence of many of the things I hate: Large groups of non-thinking mouth breathers. Mouth breathers that think standing akimbo is the same thing as doing something noble. Businesses that want to make a buck off of mouth breathers in a group. "Artists" that want to share their vision of peace and happiness in song and T shirts.

We are the world would have been a much better song if they had video of the hand holders being ran over by truckers.
Amen, the above are things I loathe as well. The forced socialization aspect of "Hands" was also a major irritant.

I was in the Fifth Grade and our teachers tried to make our participation mandatory. "We're going to meet on Boston Common on Sunday at 10am".  Oh, yeah-Sunday 10am on a holiday weekend? Sure I'll be there.

And my "Thirtysomething/Big Chill" teachers saw this as a revival of the Aquarian Spirit like it was a Moratorium Day for my generation. Not quite.

Harmness

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 04, 2012, 01:17:49 AM

Goddamn it, Eddie, I hadn't had that horseshit cross my mind in decades, you prick.

This image helps to dull the pain of the memory, though.

This is awesome, I had to laugh,  And agree.

Last week I was sitting in a coffeeshop right across the street from UC Berkeley and was talking to a sort-of acquaintence/friend of mine - an old lefty geezer left over from the 60s.  Somehow he mentioned this very event as one of the most memorable and inspirational events of his life.  I didn't remember it at all and it turned out it was during a time I was out of the country for 6 months.  I couldn't bear to tell him what a load of horse-shit I thought it sounded like, now here it is again.  Too funny.

McPhallus

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 04, 2012, 04:38:50 PM

This is awesome, I had to laugh,  And agree.

Last week I was sitting in a coffeeshop right across the street from UC Berkeley and was talking to a sort-of acquaintence/friend of mine - an old lefty geezer left over from the 60s.  Somehow he mentioned this very event as one of the most memorable and inspirational events of his life.  I didn't remember it at all and it turned out it was during a time I was out of the country for 6 months.  I couldn't bear to tell him what a load of horse-shit I thought it sounded like, now here it is again.  Too funny.

The Gen-Y crowd--at least the older ones in that group--have their own such debacle: Woodstock '94.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on August 31, 2012, 10:23:06 AM
I'm currently in a 12 step program that promises to help me post my talent less often in this sinkhole.

hahahahaha

Aw, I'm just kiddin'. 

You guys are alright...

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Watch the 13th step.  It's a doozy.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Harmness on September 04, 2012, 04:17:47 PM
Goddamn it, Eddie, I hadn't had that horseshit cross my mind in decades, you prick.

Painful Memories Inc...I'm not only the president, but I'm also a client.

b_dubb

... in the court of the crimson king ...

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: b_dubb on September 04, 2012, 08:16:20 PM
... in the court of the crimson king ...

21st Century Schizoid Man was my name in the "for recreational purposes" football pool at local bar in 1993. I might get it tattooed in Japanese symbols.

McPhallus

Shady people who, when I'm at the gas station, approach me asking for money (with a sob story, of course), with the promise that if I go back to their car with them I can take anything I want.  Then I get all jittery and want to GTFO of there ASAP.

ziznak

Quote from: McPhallus on September 05, 2012, 04:20:16 PM
Shady people who, when I'm at the gas station, approach me asking for money (with a sob story, of course), with the promise that if I go back to their car with them I can take anything I want.  Then I get all jittery and want to GTFO of there ASAP.
is this before or after they offer a folded towel inbetween the toilet seat?? :)

HorrorRetro

I'm annoyed when I see adults write alot rather than a lot.  Alot is not a word.  Why do people think it's a word?  I don't understand.  Also, the frequent misuse of your annoys me.  Every day, I see people using it improperly.  If you intend to use the contraction for you are, it's you're, not your.  We all learned this back in elementary school. 

The Alot:  http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 05, 2012, 04:36:42 PM
Also, the frequent misuse of your annoys me.

this one makes me want to kill.