• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

jazmunda

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 04, 2013, 09:27:23 PM
Well, that same damned message is in my inbox, so no he hasn't canned the account. I guess I'm just another dumbass who chose to continue paying $180 a year to hear truckers on cell phones. What a fucking idiot I am. Thanks a lot for clearing that up Art Bell.

You also got to hear me a couple of times. Surely that's worth a buck o 5?

WildCard

Whoever asked "just in case" - Tonight's Dark Matter is, as promised, a replay of RCH.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: McPhallus on November 04, 2013, 09:30:18 PM
I think he's saying the show was essentially unlistenable for those listening live rather than after the fact (recorded) shows.  Since the show is based largely on callers, he's arguing that the show was unworkable.  His "suggestion" that they offer free streaming for all for a year was a workaround, albeit a rather extreme one.

That makes no sense.  In fact, that's why I pointed out he said "when I stated the show".  His opening sentence clearly says he expected streaming when he started the show.  Was streaming in his contract?  If not, why would he expect it?

Quote from: jazmunda on November 04, 2013, 09:32:10 PM

You just quit throwing cigarette butts in my garden, you!

McPhallus

Ha.  I just heard back from Paul Bowman, who just copied and pasted Art's email.

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 04, 2013, 09:27:23 PM
Well, that same damned message is in my inbox, so no he hasn't canned the account. I guess I'm just another dumbass who chose to continue paying $180 a year to hear truckers on cell phones. What a fucking idiot I am. Thanks a lot for clearing that up Art Bell.

Jnthn932

You just had to keep calling.....look what you've done!

someguy

god

I gotta say it again, thank FUCK I didn't didn't up for sirius. now i'm going to go smoke this joint I had rolled for the show

Wednesday

I knew we were doomed when I played that recorded message on ArtBell.com about the errors. I, like many of you, went out to get something better to listen to streaming radio. I chose a new laptop; I did need a new computer, but I could have done something else with that money at the time I bought it. Infrequently, I experienced dropped connections with Sirius at the beginning, but was not dropped in the last few weeks. I really enjoyed Art's return and have been a fan of his show since the mid-90s. I don't know how many listeners canceled after their subscription became paid. I don't know how many people were reporting constant errors and why Sirius could not fix it. If subscribers had errors, why didn't they call in to complain during open lines? Were they getting permanent errors of constant dropping out and they never could hear the show? I was surprised at the ease of one caller getting through a 2nd time after they lost their phone connection. I thought, wow, is it that easy to get through on the telephone? I never called in, but had a prediction ready for the end of year predictions show; hoping it would return.

The first half hour of his first show back was one of the best moments of him on air that I will always remember. When he took calls later and the first few people sounded just like JC, I, too, felt anxiety about it. It was really funny to hear him say, "The way you guys are coming at me, I think it is someone else on the phone."

I thought that it was strange of him to say he was ready to return to the Philippines in mid-October. It didn't feel right, but I dismissed it as something that maybe wouldn't effect our ability to listen to his show live.

I do feel that I invested for years in hoping he'd someday return to the airwaves, now I feel ripped off and angry by this sudden decision, but I cannot truly blame Art Bell if Sirius wasn't offering any options to people who were unhappy. I'd still like to know the numbers of disappointed canceled subscribers with the error messages.

I know the subscription fee would be prorated if canceled sooner. I will unsubscribe after Nov. 12 when the 24/7 Bowie channel ends. It's the only other channel I was excited about once I subscribed.

there is always Clyde Lewis to listen to ..... he's in it 4 life

popple

Quote from: HMC on November 04, 2013, 09:31:31 PM
THIS. This is exactly what Art said to his fans today. I don't understand this "he just wants the best for his fans" nonsense. He thought the quality of callers sucked, so he quit. That's really insulting.

LBR it was spooky matter that was the last straw. Good god, was that a hard show to enjoy. So many people just would not get to the damn point.

8bitwizard

**ATTENTION***

I  called Sirius to cancel. They gave me a partial refund for the unpaid balance.
She also stated that she has had several calls tonight cancelling over the "programming change".
she mentioned they are tracking the number of cancellations.

You know what else, this is bullshit because I remember listening over and over to a show called "Art Bell's Dreamland" and guess what, THERE WERE NO CALLERS.

HE COULD HAVE DONE A SHOW WITH JUST GUESTS. IT WORKED BEFORE. Sonof a BITCH.

FallenSeraph

Where's Falkie?

I wonder if George will start the show tonight with "My condolences to BellGab."

UrbanFool

Y'know, I've always been profoundly annoyed by those "books" that were nothing but organizing stories from listeners. I guess that's one way to build content when you have nothing of your own to put into a book.

Quote from: HumanBeing on November 04, 2013, 09:15:10 PM
...his barely interesting books he "co-authors"... I think co-authors may be closer to meaning "free advertisement on Coast To Coast" than anything George actually writes haha

bateman

Quote from: 8bitwizard on November 04, 2013, 09:37:59 PM
**ATTENTION***

I  called Sirius to cancel. They gave me a partial refund for the unpaid balance.
She also stated that she has had several calls tonight cancelling over the "programming change".

I'm keeping it for the rest of the month, just in case, and to hear some Opie & Anthony, but goddamnit, Art. Goddamnit.

It took me a few nights to figure out the Sirius interface. Since then , I've not had the show "drop." There is a built-in software feature on Sirius that prompts listeners on certain devices to "keep listening." This is being interpreted as "dropping or losing" the feed by some of the less Internet-savvy Art Bell listeners. That's all this is. Also, some first-time Internet stream listeners have old computers that have poor wi-fi signals. Your 1998 Dell PC with all that Windows malware won't work like a radio.
I am really disappointed with Art's decision. BUT - he did seem kinda squirrelly about the government shutdown and threatened to leave for the PI again. I figured we'd lose him then...There is no better broadcaster, but maybe Art Bell has finally jumped the shark. Sucks...I want my $180 a year back.

jazmunda

Quote from: Jnthn932 on November 04, 2013, 09:37:05 PM
You just had to keep calling.....look what you've done!

Whoopsie. Sorry guys. I take full responsibility. Your refunds checks are in the mail.

bateman

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 04, 2013, 09:39:12 PM
You know what else, this is bullshit because I remember listening over and over to a show called "Art Bell's Dreamland" and guess what, THERE WERE NO CALLERS.

HE COULD HAVE DONE A SHOW WITH JUST GUESTS. IT WORKED BEFORE. Sonof a BITCH.

It did strike me as odd when he said it was a caller driven show.

Art Bell's behaviour throughout his entire life, professional and personal has been that of a classic narcissistic personality disorder. Which pisses me off as I had that figured out almost a decade ago.  Which I forgot when I gave Sirius Canada 300.00 dolllars for the year, with the ridiculous hope that I would hear that voice at least three nights a week.  Ugh >:(

klt0825

Quote from: popple on November 04, 2013, 09:27:06 PM
I do. Several times. People have said they found his show on there and really liked it. I believe even on the Spooky Matter show one woman said her friend found the show and told her about it then she listened and got hooked.

Found Art Bell through Time Magazine (First post, Hey BellGab!).  As a new listener who literally JUST paid for Sirius, I'm a little shocked about this.  For a broke PhD student with insomnia, the Sirius cost was one of those un-necessary costs that I now have to hope Sirius partially refunds.  The Halloween show was good and while I could tell the new show wasn't anywhere close to the youtube AB C2C archives, I thought it was still really good.

I responded to the generic message from artbell@artbell.com and just got this in response from Art:

"P.S. I am here and more than willing to do a show if Sirius changes their minds, a Year under the circumstances seemed reasonable to me,
just until they could fix the streaming."

FallenSeraph

Hell yeah it was, Jaz!  :)

McPhallus

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 04, 2013, 09:35:39 PM
That makes no sense.  In fact, that's why I pointed out he said "when I stated the show".  His opening sentence clearly says he expected streaming when he started the show.  Was streaming in his contract?  If not, why would he expect it?

He was referring to the regular streaming you get from Sirius. When that didn't work to his expectations, he wanted Sirius to allow free streaming for everyone (through art's site) when the show was being broadcast.  It's all about getting callers.

Wilderness

I heard the Scorpion Army was on the march again...  my sources in Portland.

RedMichael

It is on Art to make sure the show was listenable before he started. Think about that. Sirius did not suddenly get worse under Bell's watch. There is plenty of information out there, people to talk to, other show's producers to contact if he REALLY wanted to take care of us.

Second thing, I hope the show's staff gets their contracts honored.

SpooksKFC

This is BS!!!!!!! Over some stupid app errors?  How many listen on their phone?   The Sirius player worked fine on my PC.

I had a Free Trial account and I won't even be using it anymore, no interest in anything else on Sirius.

Job

Quote from: 8bitwizard on November 04, 2013, 09:37:59 PM
**ATTENTION***

Thanks for that info.  It is important.

dortmunder

Quote from: Baron Landscape on November 04, 2013, 09:37:39 PM
there is always Clyde Lewis to listen to ..... he's in it 4 life

Someone somewhere said this guy was pretty decent:

http://www.darknessradio.com/