No
No
Back scenes during Coast to Coast AM

Starring Mary Tyler Moore as Lisa Lyon.
And Tex Baxter as George Noory.

http://youtu.be/bSmyVPx75kI

Frys Girl

Quote from: VtaGeezer on December 04, 2011, 12:56:14 AM
I agree with Tara above.  When I heard of the death of GN's father, my first thought was "What a shame, he spoke of his Dad a lot." but that quickly became "Why the hell are you doing a radio show tonight?"  Then as I heard the typical Noory interview of the "amoeba people" guy progress, I wondered "How can you be so disconnected from the death of a parent to be doing this silliness tonight."  There's a conflict in announcing his father had passed away, then doing a run-of-the-mill radio show instead of being with his mother and family.  I have great sympathy for George Noory's loss, as would anyone who's received that same long distance phone call.  But  additionally, I was disturbed by what appears to be either a degree of callousness or a level of self-absorsion that I find hard to fathom.
I thought about this for a bit and I think what it may come down to is this: Coast to Coast AM is George Noory's life. He doesn't have wife, and his children are grown with kids of their own. I think that he had no where to go and grieve, and as much as I can't stand him and his terrible hosting, I'll give him a chance to use the show to grieve even if he can't use it to stimulate an audience. Give him a break guys; he also boasts about hosting on holidays.

I agree with others here that Noory and his dad never got along normally after he skipped out of pre-dental. He comes from a middle eastern family, and hosting paranormal radio and all that isn't really something parents brag about in that culture, but I don't want to generalize either. I'm totally speculating out of very little knowledge, so it's anyone's guess.

astroguy

Quote from: Morgus on December 03, 2011, 03:11:43 AM
He also mentioned Ian will be hosting the New Year's Eve show again this year...

NOT happy about this.  I think Ian ruined it last year with his banter, allowing guests to ramble on, and allowing them to make more than one prediction.

WOTR

Quote from: Lovely Bones on December 03, 2011, 09:43:28 AM
In another thread we talked about hating/vigorously disliking Noory, WOTR.  My reaction to the passing of Noory's father made me realize I truly don't hate him--I had the same human empathy toward him I would have toward anyone who clearly loved his father knowing his dad had just died and there he was trying to carry on at work.
It still stands for me.  I feel badly that he lost somebody and that he and his family will experience the pain that goes with it.  However, that does not change my believing that he is not a good person nor that the world would be better off without his influence.  When Squeaky Fromme dies I will feel some compassion for Manson.  When Manson dies I will feel badly for whoever loved him.  That is just human nature and has nothing to do with my feelings towards them personally.

WOTR

Quote from: Tara on December 03, 2011, 10:23:13 AM
Everyone will disagree with me on this one, but I don't feel sorry for Noory; his aged mother, yes.  Having lost an elderly parent last year, I criticize him for doing the show last night.  He belonged with his family; where I worked, everyone took off from work when there was a death in the immediate family, usually for a week to grieve and take care of the funeral, etc.  As the only son, that responsibility should have fallen on Noory, NOT his sisters. 
It is hard to criticize him for doing the show.  Maybe his flight was booked for 10 AM the next day.  He could not be burning up the phone lines making funeral arrangements at midnight or doing anything productive.  There is nothing that he could do from L.A at midnight for his family even if you believe that he had a moral obligation to be the "leader" or the mourning squad.  Being as his "clock" is set to be awake when everybody he loves and could talk with is (presumably) asleep there is nobody to comfort him and nobody to comfort.  He may as well do the show and keep his mind occupied.  Without the inside knowledge (and as much as I don't care for Noory) I refuse to judge him or his actions when it comes to something as personal as how he handles death.  Many people coast on automatic and manage for a day or two before their mind stops and processes the terrible news that it recieved.

I learned to be a little careful judging the dedication and caring of others when dad was in hospital / hospice.  Every night I spent from around 11:00 PM to 6 or 7 in the morning with him.  The family did not see this and always thought that because I was not there during visiting hours that I was particularly calloused.  When I would make the calls to update people they would break down crying and I would just deliver the facts and remain a stone.  I could not allow myself to fall apart on 20 individual calls to deliver bad news.  It did not mean that his coworkers loved him more than I nor did it make me a bad person (contrary to what some believed.)

It is too easy to misjudge somebody when you have limited information.

Quote from: WOTR on December 05, 2011, 06:05:32 AM
It is too easy to misjudge somebody when you have limited information.

Nailed it.

fysisist

I feel badly for his loss.... but he still sucks.

Morgus

Quote from: WOTR on December 05, 2011, 06:05:32 AM
It is hard to criticize him for doing the show.  Maybe his flight was booked for 10 AM the next day.  He could not be burning up the phone lines making funeral arrangements at midnight or doing anything productive.  There is nothing that he could do from L.A at midnight

but Noory wasn't in LA, he has been in St. Louis for the past few weeks, since he told of making Thanksgiving Dinner for his family there last week...

Quote from: astroguy on December 04, 2011, 11:00:00 PM
NOT happy about this.  I think Ian ruined it last year with his banter, allowing guests to ramble on, and allowing them to make more than one prediction.

I remember also not being a fan of the predictions show last year without Art.

Still, it could always be worse...

valdez

Whitley Strieber and his wife, Anne, plugging their books while filling in for George.  John Greenewald and "scalpel boy" Dr. Roger Leir on alien impants and the government's interest in them. George Maschke on the unreliability of polygraphs.   Mind bendingly dull stuff.  Doesn't Whitely have a show somewhere?  Doesn't he know how to do this? 

Whitley Strieber

Quote from: valdez on December 06, 2011, 05:40:15 AM
Whitley Strieber and his wife, Anne, plugging their books while filling in for George... Mind bendingly dull stuff.

First I quit listening to George Knapp, dull, boring, dry, guests mosly just not credible (now there's an understatement), never did make it make than about an hour or so of those shows.  Then Ian, smarmy little punk know-it-all, he really lost it and started grating after he was made to apoligize for, rightly, tossing Long Walker off the show.  Then even after the first hour or so of personal updates from Art I couldn't listen to that anymore either, his once-a-month topics were terrible.  Starfire Tor was about the last straw there. 

George and his awfulness became less and less funny (unintentionally) to me, and I just one day realized I hadn't listened for a few months.  Have no idea whenthat even was, a year ago? two? less?  Didn't even care enough to mark the date.

Have never listened to Simone or Wells, never plan to other than perhaps a few minutes, spinning the dial coming home in the car.

Reading this, Whitley the Whiner with Ann the Enabler, OMG I can't even imagine how excruciating it is listening to that rehashed crap now, 'I've been mocked, ridiculed, and marginalized, people I've never met don't just take my word about aliens capturing and probing me (sob) my whole life'.  Ugh.

Quote from: fysisist on December 05, 2011, 02:11:28 PM
I feel badly for his loss.... but he still sucks.

Thank You! Totally Agree. Not to mention, just how many 'afterlife' shows has Snoory done? Isn't his father in a better place? Better brace ourselves for 'when my father died' Snooryisms to be sprinkled inappropriately about. After all, in his mind it's probably 'good radio'.
I never saw this forum as a place to *debate* Snoory's humanity or entertain people who want to 'give the guy a break.'  We all assume he's not a robot (hmmm...do we?).    When Art left C2C, the show he founded should have ended. Like Seinfeld and Cheers and Unlike Two and a Half Men. I'm sure there are radio equivalents but TV examples come to mind. We all know the business reasons why this didn't happen, but if Snoory had his own show and not the structural spoils of Art's show to trample and exploit for his own professional aggrandizement, this forum wouldn't exist. So Snoory Sucks and if you can't see that, so do you!

Frys Girl

LMAO. Whitley's hosting was just a constant repetition of his web site URL and the name of his radio podcast and book. What a sham. Coast to Coast AM is a JOKE. They should have just gotten Richard C. Hoagland to do a few lines and come on the air. Heaven knows that would have been more entertaining, and I don't think Hoaxland would need the coke!

Morgus

Quote from: Frys Girl on December 06, 2011, 06:59:24 PM
LMAO. Whitley's hosting was just a constant repetition of his web site URL and the name of his radio podcast and book. What a sham.
that was probably the deal that made with him to guest host at the last minute...  :P

Frys Girl

It's sort of disrespectful, but I'm guessing Whitley is a good friend of George. Seeing as how Whitley is the closest to Hollywood George Noory can get, it makes sense. "Sure, go ahead and go on the show." If that's not the case, I feel sorry for George if he couldn't get someone to host for him who could have done it with more dignity.... ah this whole Coast to Coast AM thing is a mess. What a wreck: bunch of weird hosts, weird politics, weird radio executives, and no consistency.

I am almost ashamed to admit it but after Whitley and his wife it's good to know Noory is back...sucks? Yes. But suckage with consistency ...

Dr Kaku on tonight hour 1.. Could it be? A decent hour?! Black holes! Planets!!! But George interviewing.....

JustOneFix

Quote from: HorrorReporter on December 06, 2011, 08:33:33 PM
I am almost ashamed to admit it but after Whitley and his wife it's good to know Noory is back...sucks? Yes. But suckage with consistency ...

That would be a damn good addition to the opening sequence of the show. "This is Coast to Coast AM with George Noory. Suckage with consistency" I think it flows pretty good. :)

Sardondi

I've finally come to realize that the only CTC host I consistently enjoy is Art Bell...and he only hosts live about twice a year. George Knapp is okay because I find him the most intelligent, mature and competent of the rest. Poor George Noory is a very sweet and decent man, but he's obviously terribly mentally handicapped, since he habitually repeats questions and asks about something which the guest has just spent 10 minutes explaining in detail. CoastToCoastAM clearly makes it a priority to hire the mentally challenged, because that's the only way our Simple George could have gotten the sweet gig he has.

Whitley Streiber is a nice guy, but, yes, mind-numbingly dull. He overhypes the "amazing" information we're about to hear, and he also constantly pushes and puffs his books. I only listen because I feel sorry for him: when he starts talking about his encounters with aliens he gets so emotional and shaky I think he's about to break down on air, and I feel guilty about turning him off. I do like Rob Simone, mostly for his voice, but he's also alert and mature, and at least he listens to what the guest actually says, unlike Noory.

For me the worst of the bunch is the Most Massive Ego Of The Midwest, Ian Punnett. Jeez Louise! Don't his producers tell him how annoying it is when he constantly interrupts his guests to try to impress us with what he clearly thinks is his huge intellect? I just wish they'd tell him, "Shut up Ian; let them talk!" I don't think he's ever had a guest he didn't significantly interrupt at least once every segment. Man, he gets on my nerves. I hope he gets over that terribly sore wrist, but I'd be happy if he never came back.

Now I'm all sad, and I feel like the kid in Shane. Art! Art! Please come back, Art! Don't go, Art! Come back! Come back!

Oh, Art, what have you done to us? It's a special torture for those of us who didn't discover you until 2004, when you were already flirting with your on-again, off-again retirements. We don;t even have memories of your old shows when you were on 5 and then 7 nights a week. (Please, Make your 90's shows available, even your "00's" programs! It's only fair."

Morgus

Quote from: Sardondi on December 06, 2011, 10:27:01 PM
I've finally come to realize that the only CTC host I consistently enjoy is Art Bell...and he only hosts live about twice a year.

not any more.
you must have missed the news last year when Art fully quit from c2c and would do no more shows.
he has not done any since Oct 2010 now.

you can only hear Art Bell on the Saturday night replays from the 90's and early 00's.

WOTR

Quote from: Morgus on December 07, 2011, 12:17:33 AM
not any more.
you must have missed the news last year when Art fully quit from c2c and would do no more shows.
he has not done any since Oct 2010 now.

you can only hear Art Bell on the Saturday night replays from the 90's and early 00's.
...For now...   ;D

michio

Quote from: HorrorReporter on December 06, 2011, 08:43:40 PM
Dr Kaku on tonight hour 1.. Could it be? A decent hour?! Black holes! Planets!!! But George interviewing..…

Dr. Kaku is "one of the best."  For real. Don't forget he has his own radio show.  He gets all sorts of whack calls and questions from George's cousins, too.

Morgus

that longtime wacko caller "Bill from West Hartford" made it on this first hour tonight with Dr. Michio Kaku.
As always he introduces himself as the amateur astronomer and atheist - the AAA  :P

astroguy

Quote from: Morgus on December 07, 2011, 12:52:22 AM
that longtime wacko caller "Bill from West Hartford" made it on this first hour tonight with Dr. Michio Kaku.
As always he introduces himself as the amateur astronomer and atheist - the AAA  :P

Bill pisses me off.  Esp. when I realized that he actually believes in crap like what Hoagland spews.  But also because he comes off in general as kinda a jerk, giving all us other astronomers and atheists a bad name.

Quote from: astroguy on December 07, 2011, 12:56:14 AM
Bill pisses me off.  Esp. when I realized that he actually believes in crap like what Hoagland spews.
So this Noory-loving clown is looking up at the moon for mile-high glass towers & Mars Hoaglandbabble?
This is why Coast to Coast AM with George Noory is evil.

valdez

Quote from: michio on December 07, 2011, 12:43:30 AM
Dr. Kaku is "one of the best."
...longtime wacko caller "Bill from West Hartford" made it on this first hour tonight with Dr. Michio Kaku...

George returns to suck the life out of what should have been a good and informative segment with Michio Kaku.  Yeah, the giant blackholes are cool, but they only give George a excuse to wallow in mendacity.  "If a black hole were to suck in our solar system, would it first get the outer planets or would it swallow us in one big gulp?"  I was more interested in Kaku's thoughts on the "neutrino/lightspeed" controversy and it's implications.  I thought "Bill" asked a rather well thought out question, but I guess compared to George a squirrel monkey would shine.  Mack Maloney on ufos wasn't bad, and anyone who tells George, "Yeah, anything is possible, but you have to have facts to back it up" gets extra points from me.

Michio Kaku
Kaku

Gassy Man

Despite her eye rolling, I've gradually been getting my girlfriend to listen to a little Coast to Coast -- her initial reaction upon hearing Noory was to parody his enunciation -- and last night's show was a particular gem for us.  We turned it on about half way through the show, when I guessed from the nasally dissertation it was Kaku talking.  He'd just explained at length something about how time is dilated at the event horizon of a black hole, and George followed up with "Do black holes puzzle us?"  We almost fell out of the bed.  Later, I prepped her for Kaku's shtick about "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" civilizations, which he launched into moments later, and that when Bill called, he would identify himself as an "amateur astronomer."  She was amused by my familiarity with the show.  I was frustrated when a caller asked two questions -- the first was about whether a black hole experience might be similar to a near death one and what Kaku might think of that, and the second on how to buy a telescope.  Of course, it was the second the Noory and Kaku addressed.  By that point we were both drifting off to sleep.

zeph

I decided to google "Bill from West Hartford" since i never actually heard one of his calls and what i
found was hilarious
(his Plenty of Fish profile).