• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

trostol

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on October 25, 2015, 08:17:08 AM
Or maybe Art should move to a 1am start.  I'm not even joking, either.  Hell, he should go straight up against Dave 1-5am.

think he also said early on 3 hours was about as much as he could go now

GravitySucks

I think he pulled a coup when he got Clyde Lewis's station.  Clyde's show was the lead in down here on KTRK.

I am assuming it still is, I don't listen to C2C.

In any case, if Art gets someone listening an hour before c2c, the chance of them switching stations is low.

If someone had to switch to turn on Art right when c2c came on, the smart ones would, but there are a % that just leave the same station on once they turn it on.

Grabbing the listeners early helps that, and it is a plus for those of us east of the Rockies.  I like the show starting at 11pm local, and if anything would like it to start an hour earlier.

Don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but it makes business sense in my head.

AppealPlay

Quote from: trostol on October 25, 2015, 04:25:28 PM
just cause..7-Up> Sprite

This goes without saying.  7-Up is the king of that market.

Quote from: trostol on October 25, 2015, 04:29:45 PM
think he also said early on 3 hours was about as much as he could go now

Really?  I doubt that!  Art is spry and full of energy.  He's rocking and rolling right now and he's gotten better and more comfortable in recent weeks.  Imagine that, Dave, getting better over time! ;D

jazmunda

Art Bell discusses The Entity Case with Dr Barry Taff on Midnight In The Desert

https://youtu.be/0qbbaaneg8M

Juan

Understand that the lower the frequency, the farther the reach for a given power.  KSFO and KABC are both rather low frequencies so cover a bigger area than, say at 5-kw station at 1400.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Juan on October 25, 2015, 05:39:49 PM
Understand that the lower the frequency, the farther the reach for a given power.  KSFO and KABC are both rather low frequencies so cover a bigger area than, say at 5-kw station at 1400.
Here's a list of all the "clear channel" aka "blowtorch" stations
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear-channel_station#List_of_all_clear-channel_stations

chefist

Quote from: Morgus on October 25, 2015, 03:47:40 PM
Too bad in Los Angeles, KABC AM is a weak power station compared to KFI AM.
I can pick up KFI 640 easily down in San Diego, hard to pick up the weaker KABC 790.

But starting in Dec, the powerful San Diego KFMB 760 AM will join Art's stations and its stronger there than Noory's station KOGO 600.  I have a hard time getting KOGO 600 clean in my garage, but KFMB 760 comes in loud and clear there!

I got the Kaito AN-200 am loop antenna... I get all the am from Phoenix down here in Tucson... I recommend it!  Amazon has them...

ItsOver

Quote from: trostol on October 25, 2015, 09:01:07 PM
meanwhile..outside Jaz's house

https://youtu.be/Si19nBhFPOg
Jaz.  Always stirring something up.  Expect Drudge to be reporting a drunken koala riot next.

PING

Not sure if this has been suggested; if so I apologize.

Could Art broadcast from KNYE? Between the "twisted cable" problem a few weeks ago, the internet & security problems this week, these things must drive him crazy.

Granted it wouldn't be walking across the yard to the guest house but it would solve those problems. I imagine Pahrump doesn't have much traffic that time of night so it's not like his trek to/from Vegas in the Geo.

Or he could broadcast from General Jameson's Saskatchewan bunker...

chefist

Quote from: PING on October 25, 2015, 10:15:20 PM

Could Art broadcast from KNYE? Between the "twisted cable" problem a few weeks ago, the internet & security problems this week, these things must drive him crazy.

Granted it wouldn't be walking across the yard to the guest house but it would solve those problems. I imagine Pahrump doesn't have much traffic that time of night so it's not like his trek to/from Vegas in the Geo.

Seems logical...

trostol

Quote from: PING on October 25, 2015, 10:15:20 PM

probably could..most likely does not want to though

Meister_000

Quote from: Juan on October 25, 2015, 05:39:49 PM

Thanks, that's interesting.

paladin1991

I can pick up KFI 640 easily down in San Diego, hard to pick up the weaker KABC 790.

But starting in Dec, the powerful San Diego KFMB 760 AM will join Art's stations and its stronger there than Noory's station KOGO 600.  I have a hard time getting KOGO 600 clean in my garage, but KFMB 760 comes in loud and clear there!

I hear you bro.  I live in Anacrime (yeah on purpose, what about it MFer?) and I can't get KABC reliably, either in my house or car. 

paladin1991

Quote from: chefist on October 25, 2015, 06:17:31 PM
I got the Kaito AN-200 am loop antenna... I get all the am from Phoenix down here in Tucson... I recommend it!  Amazon has them...

I'll check that out.

Meister_000

Quote from: Meister_000 on October 25, 2015, 03:04:23 AM
So, this sucks (finding a station in San Francisco that _could_ carry Art's show). Will someone please explain briefly again what the iHeartRadio roadblock is vis-à-vis Art's show?  Is it a matter of  Keith's Dark Matter network wanting exclusive rights to _Streaming_ the show, or, that all iHeartRadio affiliates are somehow contractually "owned" by iHeart in such a manner which precludes Art's offering? And what is that "manner", what is it about Art's setup and arrangement and terms that nessesarily and terminally conflicts with all existing iHeart carried stations?
Thanks

[Bump] PRETTY PLEASE , would someone enlighten me on this?
Thanks

Meister_000

I used to get KFI at night all the way up in San Francisco!

Morgus

Quote from: Meister_000 on October 26, 2015, 12:11:17 AM
I used to get KFI at night all the way up in San Francisco!
Yep, KFI AM is a 50KW powerhouse station.
I looked up the broadcast power and KABC AM is only 5KW as is Noory's affiliate in San Diego KOGO AM.
Art's coming affiliate in San Diego KFMB AM 760 (starts in Dec) broadcasts at 5KW in the day but 50KW at night like KFI!

jazmunda

Quote from: Meister_000 on October 26, 2015, 12:04:56 AM
Thanks

I'm not sure on the specifics but iHeart is Clear Channel who owned Premiere who own Coast.

Why would iHeart promote a show that is in competition with Coast. That is why it is a waste of time to blitz those stations. It's better to target their compeition.

jazmunda

Quote from: trostol on October 25, 2015, 09:01:07 PM
meanwhile..outside Jaz's house

https://youtu.be/Si19nBhFPOg

I have never seen a kangaroo is suburbia.

pate

Quote from: jazmunda on October 26, 2015, 12:25:54 AM
I'm not sure on the specifics but iHeart is Clear Channel who owned Premiere who own Coast.

Why would iHeart promote a show that is in competition with Coast. That is why it is a waste of time to blitz those stations. It's better to target their compeition.

You and your youtube vids... meh.

Back on point, beraaaps ('scuse me), mint perhaps iHeartMonee?

ediot: this was my old scheme to defeat some other scheme...  I miss schemes!  But I love meMe,  Heh?

TigerLily

Quote from: Meister_000 on October 26, 2015, 12:04:56 AM
Thanks
I thought someone more knowledgeable than me would explain it but here's my understanding. I heart radio is owned/affiliated with Premier radio which owns Coast to Coast. Therefore, no I heart radio station would bump part of the package they own for a competitor. May not be exactly right, but I think pretty close to the actual situation. Hope this helps.

pate

Quote from: TigerLily on October 26, 2015, 12:38:47 AM
I thought someone more knowledgeable than me would explain it but here's my understanding. I heart radio is owned/affiliated with Premier radio which owns Coast to Coast. Therefore, no I heart radio station would bump part of the package they own for a competitor. May not be exactly right, but I think pretty close to the actual situation. Hope this helps.

Dunno, checking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjk8XHn80Zw

Not Sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LViskQT4vRw

Meister_000

Quote from: Morgus on October 26, 2015, 12:18:38 AM
Yep, KFI AM is a 50KW powerhouse station.
I looked up the broadcast power and KABC AM is only 5KW as is Noory's affiliate in San Diego KOGO AM.
Art's coming affiliate in San Diego KFMB AM 760 (starts in Dec) broadcasts at 5KW in the day but 50KW at night like KFI!

Cool!  Maybe there's hope. I wonder if most stations will do back-to-back repeats ala C2C?  It's only the wee small hours that I could pick up such a distant bounce. (i.e. not during the live show).
Pretty bizzar license -- 5KW day-time, 50KW at night !

Meister_000

Quote from: jazmunda on October 26, 2015, 12:25:54 AM
I'm not sure on the specifics but
iHeart is Clear Channel who owned Premiere who own Coast.

Thanks Jaz, that's a start.

Meister_000

Thanks TigerLily (I almost didn't see your reply). Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question and should be looking somewhere for an iHeart Radio FAQ. Something reeks of unfair competition to me so far. I'm certain that the iHeart app will get you just about any station these days, including those I assume Premier could not own, like the big 2 in every market, ABC, and CBS.  As I mentioned, KGO in SF is the big 50kW "ABC" station. Could _they_  be owned by someone other than "ABC" corp, e.g. owned by Premier?  I may be completely clueless on the fundamentals of modern radio biz, and am thus not getting the obvious.
Thanks

pate

Meister_000

Ok, so, one part of this puzzle is finally becoming clear to me.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IHeartMedia

My notion of the relationships involved was ass-backwards.

IHeart(Media) is actually the _top_ of the food-chain. _They_ own Premier, who in-turn own Coast.

I always thought iheart was just some start-up "app" development that grew into some kind of monster and major player quickly and after-the-fact. Grocking the name-change slight-of-hand, "Clear Channel" TO "iHeart Media", as the starting point, puts a very different spin on whos-who and what's-what. But thats still just a start, more to go . . .

AppealPlay

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 26, 2015, 12:00:11 AM
I hear you bro.  I live in Anacrime (yeah on purpose, what about it MFer?) and I can't get KABC reliably, either in my house or car.

You live in Commiefornia?  You struck me as a Montana militiaman. :P

AppealPlay

Very exciting stuff, guys!  The show is growing rapidly. :D