• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bakegab: The Bellgab Bakeshop

Started by Roswells, Art, May 06, 2019, 02:53:36 PM

K_Dubb

Here is what is left of the pan de muerto I made for yesterday the two packets of yeast seemed excessive but I went with the recipe and it wrought havoc with my decorations in the oven.  I might try only one and settle for a slower rise next time.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/pan-de-muertobread-of-the-dead-2131477

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 01, 2020, 01:09:16 PM
Here is what is left of the pan de muerto I made for yesterday the two packets of yeast seemed excessive but I went with the recipe and it wrought havoc with my decorations in the oven.  I might try only one and settle for a slower rise next time.

That looks like a nice pastry...FOR ME TO POOP ON!

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 01, 2020, 01:15:51 PM
That loks like a nice pastry...FOR ME TO POOP ON!

I think you mean you'll clean it up.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 01, 2020, 01:15:51 PM
That loks like a nice pastry...FOR ME TO POOP ON!

It was a shameless attempt from the depths of my black little heart to pander to the Mexican-American community and you will be happy to see that I took half of it home with me.  Alone  :(

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 01, 2020, 01:22:49 PM
It was a shameless attempt from the depths of my black little heart to pander to the Mexican-American community and you will be happy to see that I took half of it home with me.  Alone  :(

You really like the dirty Mexicans, don’t you? :D

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 01, 2020, 01:26:09 PM
You really like the dirty Mexicans, don’t you? :D

Oh I adore them!  The most beautiful people in the world.

Quote from: pate on October 29, 2020, 10:28:20 PM
I think this is how I will make my home pizzas from now on, plenty of left-overs for the fridge;  the true breakfast of champions is cold pizza.

[attachment=1,msg1432642]

Freshly milled organic flours, homemade raw milk moz, sheep's milk gouda (dense parmesan crystals, stuff is magical), organic pasata, evoo, basil.

If you like experimenting with flours, you should grab Gabriele Bonci's book. I don't think anyone on the planet does square pizza better than Pizzarium, master level stuff, makes heavier flours magically light with technique. All doable on conventional ovens too.

If I'm lazy, SE no knead focaccia dough is a fantastic base easily scaled to whatever sheet pan size, foolproof and better than 99% of square pizza in burgerland.

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 01, 2020, 01:09:16 PM

Version on the site looks dense and ghastly, yours looks better tbh.

Jackstar

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 01, 2020, 03:01:08 PM

Freshly milled organic flours, homemade raw milk moz, sheep's milk gouda (dense parmesan crystals, stuff is magical), organic pasata, evoo, basil.

Today, I suddenly find myself on a mission.

K_Dubb

If you like experimenting with flours, you should grab Gabriele Bonci's book. I don't think anyone on the planet does square pizza better than Pizzarium, master level stuff, makes heavier flours magically light with technique. All doable on conventional ovens too.

If I'm lazy, SE no knead focaccia dough is a fantastic base easily scaled to whatever sheet pan size, foolproof and better than 99% of square pizza in burgerland.

That pizza looks divine!  I have not made any true cheeses, just gjetost where you boil the goat milk down to brown crud and homogenize it.

Yeah I don't know how they got such perfect decorations on such a puffy bread -- something is off.  It is very airy for something with two sticks of butter in it, which is nice, but the recipe is really underperfumed despite doubling the orange-blossom water, aniseed, and orange peel.  I overbaked it near the top to get a dark finish to match the ones at my local panaderia -- you butter and sugar the crust so the crispness and burnt taste isn't as noticeable, and a Halloween bread should be dark, it seems to me.

pate

I don't know, pizza is really just peasant food (I think) in It'lee.  My great uncle told me that it was unknown in the States and that he and his fellow GIs became acquainted with it in WWII during the Eye-talian campaign by the locals knocking it together with some bread/dough and whatever was laying around.

Due to his stories I always find the "high falutin'" pizza places a bit amusing.  Similar to Cajun places (the family is Cajun), I think it was Chef Paul Proudhomme (sp) that "elevated" the Cajun cuisine to the level you find in restaurants today.  Heh.

But back to the pizza thing, organic flour is fine I guess if you want to spend extra money so that you can say that you used "organic" flour, and home-made cheese is fine.  I actually make ricotta all the time, but it is more because I hate to throw out milk that is getting close to sour, seems a waste.  I do intend to make fresh Mozz one of these days, I just haven't ever bothered/remembered to look for Rennet when I am at the grocery store...  I already make the ricotta, and that freezes great so to make fresh Mozz I would have to go out of my way to do something "special," eh I just buy the crappy "Best Choice" mozzeralla blocks when they go on sale... Only myself to impress.

As to organic flour I just buy the local mill's brand.  I think they are called Hudson Cream?  I would go with a Missouri flour mill because I hate Kansas, but whatever.  I figure "local" is as good as organic...

Blahbitty, blah.  I should get a pizza/bread stone for the oven really, but again I am only impressing myself here... Hah.  I have recently hatched a plan in my mind to cut a hole in the side or back of my current oven and find an appropriate electric motor and squirrel cage to Frankenstein my own home-brew convection oven...  I am planning on wiring it into the light switch of the old "Magic Chef" range.  I think it would be hilarious, and if I completely fuck everything up, it would give me an excuse to buy/acquire an new range.  But I sure do like the old skool "Magic Chef," it doesn't have pilot lights though, so it is not totally legit.

I think that fancy pizza looks better than mine, but I bet mine is cheaper and more bang for the buck.  I just require solid gut-fillin' that doesn't bust the budget.

Thanks Malachy!

-p

Quote from: pate on November 01, 2020, 06:10:13 PM
I don't know, pizza is really just peasant food (I think) in It'lee. 

I hear ya, Bonci talks about this a lot, getting back to how farmers used to grow and mill flours. Might seem like it but it's really not high falutin / rootin tootin, it's just getting back to honest peasant food. I order flour bulk, so it comes out to less than a dollar a pound. Sure, its more than dollar 5lb bags at the supermarket, but at least the change is going to a family.

lol @ the range hacking. I removed the thermostat on my old range so I could hit 1000 degrees without the failsafes kicking in, kitchen would get so hot I'd drift in and out of consciousness during some cooks.

Love that you make your own, no one I know does.  If you're ever bored and haven't already, try the no knead base(omit the rosmary/pistachio obviously), I imagine it's less effort than what you're doing now? Flour, water, yeast, salt in a bowl, mix till shaggy for a minute, let it sit out overnight covered. Oil sheet pan, let dough proof a couple hours stretched out in sheet pan, bake with them gut fillin toppings.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/easy-no-knead-olive-rosemary-pistachio-focaccia-kenji-recipe.html

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 01, 2020, 04:00:51 PM
That pizza looks divine!  I have not made any true cheeses, just gjetost where you boil the goat milk down to brown crud and homogenize it.

Yeah I don't know how they got such perfect decorations on such a puffy bread -- something is off.  It is very airy for something with two sticks of butter in it, which is nice, but the recipe is really underperfumed despite doubling the orange-blossom water, aniseed, and orange peel.  I overbaked it near the top to get a dark finish to match the ones at my local panaderia -- you butter and sugar the crust so the crispness and burnt taste isn't as noticeable, and a Halloween bread should be dark, it seems to me.

Thanks! Gjetost sounds like it would be good made with some grand milk. FDA is cracking down on the Amish hard recently, most farms have stopped selling real milk and cream in the past few weeks. I'm gonna need a few cows.

The Panaderias here don't make them well, they all seemed to transition to vegetable oils over butter, their creams are soy oil heavy too, which might be the bigger crime.

pate

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 01, 2020, 07:13:13 PM
lol @ the range hacking. I removed the thermostat on my old range so I could hit 1000 degrees without the failsafes kicking in, kitchen would get so hot I'd drift in and out of consciousness during some cooks.

Love that you make your own, no one I know does.  If you're ever bored and haven't already, try the no knead base(omit the rosmary/pistachio obviously), I imagine it's less effort than what you're doing now? Flour, water, yeast, salt in a bowl, mix till shaggy for a minute, let it sit out overnight covered. Oil sheet pan, let dough proof a couple hours stretched out in sheet pan, bake with them gut fillin toppings.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/easy-no-knead-olive-rosemary-pistachio-focaccia-kenji-recipe.html

I am adding that recipe to the bazillion I have bookmarked for future tests.  I still need to make that damn South African milkpie thing, I see.  Also, what do you do in a 1000 degree oven?  Fire pottery or something?  I have a kiln for that, although I need to hook the thing up and make sure it still works, it has been sitting out on the front porch for a few years now...

------

I digress.  I am hear to share tonight's WT/Irish meal.  Since the CornHoleEbola-19.5 bullshit started I have been trying to work through all the forgotten old crap in the Deep Freezer, tonight's projeckt was some Pastrami that I brined and my Brother-In-Law smoked for me a few years ago.  This was before I bought the vacuum sealer thing, so it was wrapped in plastic then butcher paper, after I had thinly sliced it.  This is a bad idea, the beautiful red pastrami very quickly turned brown.  I think that is part of the reason I got the vacuum sealer thing.

Anyhow, I found three of the 9oz packs of the stuff a while back and I had a half a head of cabbage left over from making coleslaw earlier in the week, so tonight I chopped up the cabbage and threw it all in the pressure cooker, with some onions, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley and topped it all off with the 27oz of freezer-burned/browned Pastrami:

[attachment=1]

Then while that was cooking I whipped up a batch of Cornbread (Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, use buttermilk instead of milk) and julienned a potato with the mandolin for mashed potatos;  butter, cream, SPG.

Pretty damn tasty, and took less than an hour to slap together.

It is probable that the house will begin develop an odious character, what with the cruciferous roughage and starch.  Perhaps the Traitorous Hanz II will be subject to the trail of the Dutch Oven for his crimes against the State.

Nautical Shore.

-p

Quote from: pate on November 01, 2020, 09:24:50 PM
Also, what do you do in a 1000 degree oven?  Fire pottery or something?
------

Pretty damn tasty, and took less than an hour to slap together.

lol

Wonderful things can happen at 1000 degrees, Neapolitan pizzas, real naan.

Food looks comfy! A family member takes serious umbrage if presented with cornbread that's not Jiffy. Depending on the occasion it'll be outright refusal, or a stream of cornbread memories to mend the palatability of the counterfeit. Pressure cookers are amazing. Used one last night, freezer is now full with quarts of gelatin rich beef stock.

Quick batch of Midnight donuts. Roasted sugar pumpkin spice, Valrhona dark chocolate frosted, and Maple creme.

DynamoHum

K_Dubb.... I made Parkin as it is a Guy Fawkes Night tradition for hubby... have you heard of it/made it?

It’s wrapped up and ageing as it should be for 5 days (I was late starting it) so will try and remember to show you when it comes out of it’s pupae ready to be eaten.

Everything Bagels, nice long cold ferment, yukone to keep them fresh longer. Look at that blisterin.

K_Dubb

Quote from: DynamoHum on November 06, 2020, 01:59:37 PM
K_Dubb.... I made Parkin as it is a Guy Fawkes Night tradition for hubby... have you heard of it/made it?

It’s wrapped up and ageing as it should be for 5 days (I was late starting it) so will try and remember to show you when it comes out of it’s pupae ready to be eaten.

I have not!  Thank you, that's just the sort of thing I like!  I will try one, too.  I think I can get everything.  The grocery store down the street from me carries Lyle's Golden Syrup, albeit in a cheapo squeeze bottle instead of the tiny paint can, and I assume our "steel-cut oats" are somet, hing like the "medium oats" I see in a lot of recipes online.  Do you have a favorite recipe?  What do you wrap it in?

K_Dubb

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 06, 2020, 02:54:08 PM

Everything Bagels, nice long cold ferment, yukone to keep them fresh longer. Look at that blisterin.

Beautiful!  Got that oven nice and hot, I see.

DynamoHum

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 07, 2020, 04:00:51 AM
I have not!  Thank you, that's just the sort of thing I like!  I will try one, too.  I think I can get everything.  The grocery store down the street from me carries Lyle's Golden Syrup, albeit in a cheapo squeeze bottle instead of the tiny paint can, and I assume our "steel-cut oats" are somet, hing like the "medium oats" I see in a lot of recipes online.  Do you have a favorite recipe?  What do you wrap it in?

The medium oats is actually oatmeal, so steel cut might not be exactly the same thing. I have wrapped in baking parchment and then foil. It’s sat on the island like a big solid lump at the moment! No fave recipe, I have never had it before, let alone made it as it’s a Northern thing, but hubby is a Wildling so I made it for him, be interesting to see how our respective ones come out!

K_Dubb

Quote from: DynamoHum on November 07, 2020, 04:52:50 AM
The medium oats is actually oatmeal, so steel cut might not be exactly the same thing. I have wrapped in baking parchment and then foil. It’s sat on the island like a big solid lump at the moment! No fave recipe, I have never had it before, let alone made it as it’s a Northern thing, but hubby is a Wildling so I made it for him, be interesting to see how our respective ones come out!

Did you cook the oats first in yours?  And did you using minced candied ginger or powdered?  The latter I am seeing seems to me like a modern refinement and I want the pure old stodge.

Now would be a perfect time for Shreddie to weigh in with some lesser-known delicacies from his watery abode if he wasn't such a toord.

DynamoHum

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 07, 2020, 09:34:14 AM
Did you cook the oats first in yours?  And did you using minced candied ginger or powdered?  The latter I am seeing seems to me like a modern refinement and I want the pure old stodge.

Now would be a perfect time for Shreddie to weigh in with some lesser-known delicacies from his watery abode if he wasn't such a toord.

Powdered ginger is what I used, my recipe called for ground ginger, which I took to be the same thing. Didn’t cook the oatmeal beforehand.

Shreddie only eats lark’s tongues - that’s what he would have you believe anyway.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: DynamoHum on November 07, 2020, 04:27:01 PM
Powdered ginger is what I used, my recipe called for ground ginger, which I took to be the same thing. Didn’t cook the oatmeal beforehand.

Shreddie only eats lark’s tongues - that’s what he would have you believe anyway.

In aspic?

K_Dubb

Quote from: DynamoHum on November 07, 2020, 04:27:01 PM

Haha I seen his cake that memorably looked like the floor of a rabbit hutch!  Thanks, I will look for a recipe that does the same.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 07, 2020, 04:41:55 PM
Haha I seen his cake that memorably looked like the floor of a rabbit hutch!  Thanks, I will look for a recipe that does the same.

Words hurt, y'know.

K_Dubb

Quote from: DynamoHum on November 07, 2020, 05:05:05 AM
Also not sure if you have seen this:

https://archive.org/details/cbk?&sort=-downloads&page=1

This is awesome!  Polemics against the poor state of cookery, especially British cookery, are among my favorite things.  Here, read the typical English groveling insecurity, befitting a mongrel nation, when it comes to Continental cuisine and culture in general:

From "Vienna Bread" of I think 1909.

pate

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 07, 2020, 04:52:17 PM
From "Vienna Bread" of I think 1909.

Free Bread, but Circus will Cost Ye...?  Hah, love it!

pate/K_Dubb 2020
"We I am going to fix this shit"

Ciardelo

I wonder why Jack isn't posting WOT in this thread too?

Seems to me that there is a lot baked into these recent posts by him...

He's obviously a fan of complicated recipes.

K_Dubb

OK the Parkin is in the oven.  I hope I didn't mess something up -- the batter is very runny.  I will post picture of the mess regardless.

I used this recipe since it was in easy cup measurements https://www.daringgourmet.com/yorkshire-parkin-cake/ minus the candied ginger, as discussed, and with all lard, no butter, since it said that was more traditional.  You will note that there is nearly as much sugar/syrup as flours -- I don't suppose there is a race with a sweeter tooth than the English.  Probably a legacy of all that West Indies slavery and you guys should really hang your head in shame and decolonize your cuisine.