• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

President Donald J. Trump

Started by The General, February 11, 2011, 01:33:34 AM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 26, 2017, 06:37:37 PM
Nothing hyperbolic about that post. It's shocking he doesn't want to go.  ::) :D

I'm not surprised, I might have been if he had gone. But it would involve him not having a devoted crowd who cling on his farts. That's why. Plus the bigger point that he'd look even more of a dickhead if he accepted an invitation from his avowed enemy.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on February 26, 2017, 06:40:57 PM
I'm not surprised, I might have been if he had gone. But it would involve him not having a devoted crowd who cling on his farts. That's why. Plus the bigger point that he'd look even more of a dickhead if he accepted an invitation from his avowed enemy.

I think he's hosting a governor's ball tonight. That sounds more important to me.

Up All Night

Quote from: StarrMountain® 2010 on February 26, 2017, 05:08:20 PM
President Donald Trump and the First Lady Melania Trump Host the Governor’s Ball at White House.  LIVE STREAM.
Started streaming 23 minutes ago
President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump Host Governors Ball at The White House in Washington DC.

https://youtu.be/iDHATguM-b4

Right, they're skipping the Awards because (the liberal media will say about why) #OscarsTooGay#OscarsTooBlack  8)

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 26, 2017, 02:59:52 PM
That would have been under Deng Xiao Ping, I think, with all his market reforms. People often support repressive regimes by policing themselves, in the way that Russian peasants would talk about 'Uncle Joe' despite Stalin slaughtering millions of his own people. People often imprison themselves, that's why I find all the blather from Trump so disturbing. I don't know if you're familiar with a book called 'The Captive Mind' by Czezlow Milosz, but that shows that the problem has far more to do with ourselves than the state. Unchecked corporations can do plenty of damage, and you'd still need a state with sharp enough teeth to keep them in check.

In 1986 the market reforms were under way, but slowly and tenuously.  People were still being assigned their jobs, the chance of changing or advancement was zero.  Marriages, when a couple could have their child, the assignment of apartments, even who got bicycles, were all still decided and approved by either the local government or the state run corporation one was assigned to.  People knew better than to step out of line.  No one trusted the reforms, and were very reluctant to participate.  It was horribly repressive, people were visibly afraid of the police - who were everywhere. 

It was a captive mindset all right.  Probably due to what happened under Mao's 100 Flowers ''reforms'' and the ''Cultural Revolution'', not to mention their own daily experiences.

The government wanted foreign investment and to build foreign exchange through investments, while keeping complete control of everything.  I had a friend who was arrested, interrogated, threatened, slapped around, and spend several days in jail three different times while I was there.  His crime:  he had a tiny business developing film for friends in a darkroom he built in his closet.

Traveling around the country, the reforms I experienced first hand was at one place only - a small town called Yang Shuo.  It was a pilot ''Special Economic Zone'' that allowed small businesses catering to tourists.  Tourist groups would take a three hour scenic boat ride downriver from Guilin, get off there and be driven by bus back to Guilin.  I stayed in Yang Shuo for a week or so.  What a difference from everywhere else:  hotels that were happy to have you, a variety of little cafes - actual places to eat other than at a state run tourist hotel, shops where a person could rent a bicycle, amazing.

Meister_000

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on February 26, 2017, 12:14:19 PM
You introduced a quote from Henry Wallace regarding fascism earlier in this discussion and you are still yapping about it.  The loss of your short term memory is not my problem. . .

In fact I spent a good 4 hours researching, composing, editing, and posting (followed by 3 hours of needless defendng) no less than 3 separate successive posts on Wallace, _all_ of them filled with *many* Wallace quotes attacking (as he should) Fascist Demagogues. And I particularly liked the one about the "She-Bear" -- didn't you?

WOTR

Quote from: StarrMountain® 2010 on February 26, 2017, 06:27:26 PM
Trump Refuses to Attend Correspondent's Dinner; Corporate Media Outraged.  2.26.17. 
Heh, heh. ;)

https://youtu.be/6-a8aoA0P7M
I always appreciate how fair  and balanced your sources of news are that you post here.   Occasionally I even mistake you for Meister.  ;)

Meister_000

Quote from: WOTR on February 26, 2017, 08:01:34 PM
I always appreciate how fair  and balanced your sources of news are that you post here.   Occasionally I even mistake you for Meister.  ;)
Jeers WOTR! ;)

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 26, 2017, 02:33:22 PM
That would depend who you were. The reason these regimes last such a long time is that a large part of the population are quite happy living under them. We only hear from the minorities and the intellectuals who get squeezed out, the average schmo does OK until the wheels start to fall off.

By the way, how are the average schmos in Venezuela doing under the Chavez-Maduro Revolución?  Are they eating each other yet?

I ask because haven't been able to quite keep up, with the stupid pos tools like Sean Penn and Danny Glover not issuing any updates for awhile.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on February 26, 2017, 08:01:34 PM

If you'd actually watch it I think you'd find the guy pretty reasonable, whether you agree with him or not.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on February 26, 2017, 09:53:54 PM
By the way, how are the average schmos in Venezuela doing under the Chavez-Maduro Revolución?  Are they eating each other yet?

I ask because haven't been able to quite keep up, with the stupid pos tools like Sean Penn and Danny Glover not issuing any updates for awhile.
Last I heard the country with the world's largest proven oil reserves is hoarding toilet paper and rioting to get food. And the government and PDVSA is still in international courts arguing with companies, who could more effectively exploit their resources to benefit the country and shareholders, about settlements and payments after the nationalization in 1976. Just goes to show you how leftists can screw up a good thing handed to them.

Quote from: albrecht on February 26, 2017, 10:03:10 PM
Last I heard the country with the world's largest proven oil reserves is hoarding toilet paper and rioting to get food. And the government and PDVSA is still in international courts arguing with companies, who could more effectively exploit their resources to benefit the country and shareholders, about settlements and payments after the nationalization in 1976. Just goes to show you how leftists can screw up a good thing handed to them.

The real damage began in 1999 when Chavez took office, nationalized the oil servicing sector in addition to the oil itself, and kicked Chevron, Exxon, Total and Conoco out.

I believe the Chavez family has done quite well for itself though, so all's well. 

''We're the ones we've been waiting for'' 
''Yes we can''

albrecht

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on February 26, 2017, 10:11:11 PM
The real damage began in 1999 when Chavez took office, nationalized the oil servicing sector in addition to the oil itself, and kicked Chevron, Exxon, Total and Conoco out.

I believe the Chavez family has done quite well for itself though, so all's well. 

''We're the ones we've been waiting for'' 
''Yes we can''
Yep. That's when it really went down the shithole, not for some of the corrupt leftists but for the country in general. So stupid.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on February 26, 2017, 10:19:23 PM
Yep. That's when it really went down the shithole, not for some of the corrupt leftists but for the country in general. So stupid.

Yeah but weren't most people there getting a pretty raw deal there when the oil corps ruled? Genuinely asking here and not trying to make a point.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 26, 2017, 10:23:38 PM
Yeah but weren't most people there getting a pretty raw deal there when the oil corps ruled? Genuinely asking here and not trying to make a point.  ;)
It is a matter of perspective but, generally, the majority of the people have had a shitty deal even before but was progressing and relatively stable (considering the history and area) but now has accelerated to corruption, riots, and 3rd world status a lot. Meanwhile sitting on the world's largest reserves (granted the price is not as good now.) Some say it is a natural thing when you depend too much on one resource (you will get hit anytime price or technology changes.) There also is foreign influence and corruption. But also leftist policies. I'm not against a country claiming assets for themselves (or for their local companies) but to do so in a stupid way? I also agree that a lot of countries are corrupt or people uneducated and cannot deal with our companies, international organizations, contract law, etc and do, sign, and agree to stupid things. So ethics, on our part, is important morally also. Not to be an Obama, Heaven forfend, but the US and some companies have done some bad things in the past and taken advantage. I say this with a self-admitted bias (pro-America and pro-energy companies, for the most part.)

It was a third world country, poverty but with a decent sized and growing middle class.  They were going in the right direction, now the middle class is gone and it's a near failed state.

The point is we don't want these people in power here.  This ideology is repressive and it's policies are destructive.

Meister_000

🚨 MUHAMMADANS AT THE GATE! 🚨
Iranian Director Asghar Farhadi Oscars Speech: “My absence is out of respect for the people in my country.” Feb 27, 2017

{embedded VID}
[tweet]836048749562482689[/tweet]

Transcript:
"It’s a great honor to be receiving this valuable award for the second time. I would like to thank the members of the Academy, my crew in Iran, my producer Alexandre Mallet-Guy, Cohen media, Amazon, and my fellow nominees in the foreign film category. I’m sorry I’m not with you tonight. My absence is out of respect for the people in my country and those of other six nations whom have been disrespected by the inhumane law that bans entry of immigrants to the U.S.

Dividing the world into the “us “ and “our enemies” categories creates fear, a deceitful justification for aggression and war. These wars prevent democracy and human rights in countries which have themselves been victims of aggression. Filmmakers can turn their cameras to capture shared human qualities and break stereotypes of various nationalities and religions. They create empathy between “us” and “others,” an empathy which we need today more than ever.

Thank you on behalf of Mr. Farhadi."

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Meister_000 on February 26, 2017, 10:48:44 PM
Iranian Director Asghar Farhadi Oscars Speech: “My absence is out of respect for the people in my country.” Feb 27, 2017

{embedded VID}
[tweet]836048749562482689[/tweet]

Transcript:
"It’s a great honor to be receiving this valuable award for the second time. I would like to thank the members of the Academy, my crew in Iran, my producer Alexandre Mallet-Guy, Cohen media, Amazon, and my fellow nominees in the foreign film category. I’m sorry I’m not with you tonight. My absence is out of respect for the people in my country and those of other six nations whom have been disrespected by the inhumane law that bans entry of immigrants to the U.S.

Dividing the world into the “us “ and “our enemies” categories creates fear, a deceitful justification for aggression and war. These wars prevent democracy and human rights in countries which have themselves been victims of aggression. Filmmakers can turn their cameras to capture shared human qualities and break stereotypes of various nationalities and religions. They create empathy between “us” and “others,” an empathy which we need today more than ever.

Thank you on behalf of Mr. Farhadi."

He should grabs some Imams and try to talk some sense into them but no, we're bad and racist for trying to protect our own of all races here. FUCK HIM!  >:(

No argument here. I'm not defending the government of Venezuela, the Soviet Union, Red China, or any other despotic regime, but in many instances there are very good reasons why "they" hate us, that tend to get overlooked even though those reasons are hardly ancient history. I read Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq
, by Steven Kinzler, a couple of years ago, and while I was already familiar with some of the history, I learned quite a bit from it.

http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/29305

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/Perspectives_1/Overthrow_A_Hallmark_of_U_S_Foreign_Policy_2703.shtml

I also recommend his book about the Dulles brothers (The Brothers: John Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles, and Their Secret World War, who were brilliant in their own ways, but whose international policies often had disastrous consequences which we're still paying for.

Quote from: Meister_000 on February 26, 2017, 10:48:44 PM

Transcript:

Dividing the world into the “us “ and “our enemies” categories creates fear, a deceitful justification for aggression and war. These wars prevent democracy and human rights in countries which have themselves been victims of aggression...

It's unfortunate he doesn't have the same respect for the people of our country.   This was a short term review of the current vetting process.  That Obama's lax ''pollyanna'' ''vetting'' process was in need of review and strengthening really isn't in question. 

Is this director unaware of Iran's position as the number one state sponsor of terrorism?  Is he unaware of the violence and terrorism the West has received in return for our generosity towards the refugees?  Is he unaware of the hate much of the Moslem world has for us? 

Of course not.  Therefore he can stick it up his ass.  I would encourage others who feel the same way to boycott our country as well.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 26, 2017, 11:12:15 PM
No argument here. I'm not defending the government of Venezuela, the Soviet Union, Red China, or any other despotic regime, but in many instances there are very good reasons why "they" hate us, that tend to get overlooked even though those reasons are hardly ancient history. I read Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq
, by Steven Kinzler, a couple of years ago, and while I was already familiar with some of the history, I learned quite a bit from it.

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/Perspectives_1/Overthrow_A_Hallmark_of_U_S_Foreign_Policy_2703.shtml

I also recommend his book about the Dulles brothers (The Brothers: John Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles, and Their Secret World War, who were brilliant in their own ways, but whose international policies often had disastrous consequences which we're still paying for.

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 26, 2017, 11:12:15 PM

I just had to post this photo due to my love for the German languages ability to create long-winded words when it is necessary.
http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20130117&t=2&i=695190616&w=580&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=CBRE90G1HRV00
Speaking of Dulleses (and others)
https://www.amazon.com/Tower-Basel-Shadowy-History-Secret/dp/1610393813/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Not the best "read" but still very interesting.

ps: keep Alex out of this thread.  ;)

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 26, 2017, 09:58:58 PM
If you'd actually watch it I think you'd find the guy pretty reasonable, whether you agree with him or not.  ;)
I also occasionally find the Huff Po reasonable.  It does not mean that it is not biased.  You can be completely reasonable and only report the facts that support your narrative. 

I love Starr.  Just saying that she may consume her news from rather biased sources IF her BG posts are used to judge her news consumption.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on February 26, 2017, 11:53:05 PM
I also occasionally find the Huff Po reasonable.  It does not mean that it is not biased.  You can be completely reasonable and only report the facts that support your narrative. 

I love Starr.  Just saying that she may consume her news from rather biased sources IF her BG posts are used to judge her news consumption.

Uh huh...keep watching your state run CBC. They'd never lie to you or slant things.  ;D

Meister_000

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 26, 2017, 11:00:15 PM
He should grabs some Imams and try to talk some sense into them but no, we're bad and racist for trying to protect our own of all races here. FUCK HIM!  >:(

MD, seriously; his WIN, his being accepted, respected, honored (again) upon the World Stage will do more to help encourage and empower the cause and hopes of moderate muslims, the voice of moderate Islam, around the world (not just in Iran) more than the preaching/teaching of a dozen reform-minded Imams could. But of course the policies of the Trump administration this past month had the very opposite effect of equal or greater magnitude -- a shame really. Donald Trump succeeded in reaffirming the belief (held by many if not most Muslims) that America, Americans, and the West generally, HATE all Muslims of (virtually) any stripe or counrty of origin. That gets us nowhere -- or nowhere Good, to be exact. General McMasters has made a career and mark upon history for "Knowing"  precisely this.

If you don't think Mr. Farhadi represents the voice of progress and humanitarian good-will please read again this closing paragraph from his message (broadcast to the world) last night. (thanks)

"Dividing the world into the “us “ and “our enemies” categories, creates fear, a deceitful justification for aggression and war. These wars prevent democracy and human rights in countries which have themselves been victims of aggression. Filmmakers can turn their cameras to capture shared human qualities and break stereotypes of various nationalities and religions. They create empathy between “us” and “others,” an empathy which we need today more than ever."

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Meister_000 on February 27, 2017, 01:18:19 AM
MD, seriously; his WIN, his being accepted, respected, honored (again) upon the World Stage will do more to help encourage and empower the cause and hopes of moderate muslims, the voice of moderate Islam, around the world (not just in Iran) more than the preaching/teaching of a dozen reform-minded Imams could. But of course the policies of the Trump administration this past month had the very opposite effect of equal or greater magnitude -- a shame really. Donald Trump succeeded in reaffirming the belief (held by many if not most Muslims) that America, Americans, and the West generally, HATE all Muslims of (virtually) any stripe or counrty of origin. That gets us nowhere -- or nowhere Good to be exact. General McMasters has made a career and mark upon history for "Knowing"  precisely this.

If you don't think Mr. Farhadi represents the voice of progress and humanitarian good-will please read again this closing paragraph from his message (broadcast to the world) last night. (thanks)

"Dividing the world into the “us “ and “our enemies” categories, creates fear, a deceitful justification for aggression and war. These wars prevent democracy and human rights in countries which have themselves been victims of aggression. Filmmakers can turn their cameras to capture shared human qualities and break stereotypes of various nationalities and religions. They create empathy between “us” and “others,” an empathy which we need today more than ever."

No, I do understand there are enough bad guys on both sides to go around but things will never change if there's not some sort of Muslim reformation in which they firmly renounce their desire for a global caliphate. I'm pretty sure that will never happen because it literally commands them to do that in the Koran. I guess, in your mind, we should all just bend over and accept this?