• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bella-Haven is Live

Started by nbirnes, July 01, 2015, 12:44:24 AM

Lilith

Quote from: serenity on July 28, 2015, 06:39:52 AM
You are always very welcome!

I've been practicing with Audacity.  I get the equalization and compression parts so far, and am working on the cut part. 

serenity

Quote from: brig on July 28, 2015, 06:48:05 AM
I've been practicing with Audacity.  I get the equalization and compression parts so far, and am working on the cut part.

Play with the "envelope" tool and timeshift. Effects are nice too. So much to learn. I like that you can add labels to each track. Working on howto add images
:)

Lilith

Quote from: serenity on July 28, 2015, 06:51:02 AM
Play with the "envelope" tool and timeshift. Effects are nice too. So much to learn. I like that you can add labels to each track. Working on howto add images

arite :)

Lilith

Quote from: serenity on July 28, 2015, 06:51:02 AM

should I be saving everything as ogg files? or is it ok to save them as mp3's ?  There might be a thing or two I do somtime that I might want to put on my soundcloud.  I did a day before MITD *thank yous* that I put on my soundcloud ....of course I had forgot to put my teeth in, but it was sincere, so I saved it, but I saved it as a mp3.  Should I have saved it as on ogg?  What is the difference in purpose between mp3, wav, and ogg files?  You don't have to tell me, I can look them up, but just thought I would ask you if its not too complicated to *splain*.

wr250

Quote from: brig on July 28, 2015, 06:56:40 AM
should I be saving everything as ogg files? or is it ok to save them as mp3's ?  There might be a thing or two I do somtime that I might want to put on my soundcloud.  I did a day before MITD *thank yous* that I put on my soundcloud ....of course I had forgot to put my teeth in, but it was sincere, so I saved it, but I saved it as a mp3.  Should I have saved it as on ogg?  What is the difference in purpose between mp3, wav, and ogg files?  You don't have to tell me, I can look them up, but just thought I would ask you if its not too complicated to *splain*.
.wav is an uncompressed sound file.
.mp3 are compressed sound files (meaning there is some sound lost)
.ogg is another compressed file, though not as lossy as mp3.
.flac is a lossless file format, claims to lose nothing when a .wav is converted to this format.

Lilith

Quote from: wr250 on July 28, 2015, 07:01:57 AM
.wav is an uncompressed sound file.
.mp3 are compressed sound files (meaning there is some sound lost)
.ogg is another compressed file, though not as lossy as mp3.
.flac is a lossless file format, claims to lose nothing when a .wav is converted to this format.
Thank You !!  So....sounds like it would be best to save my original as a wav file, then later I could convert it to whatever is most appropriate to the situation?

serenity

Quote from: brig on July 28, 2015, 06:56:40 AM

It depends. I convert to ogg files for streaming in Icecast but I use mp3 when I upload to another server, email etc. Ogg or mp3 are just audio "containers". Some formats have better quality than others for example. mp3 and ogg are lossy at normal recording of 44hz whereas flac is lossless at 44hz. It's kinda like I like Ford, you like Chevy. all personal pref and what you are using them for.

serenity

And wr250 beat me to the punch again lol. I gotta get faster fingers lol Morning wr250 long time no "see"

Lilith

Quote from: serenity on July 28, 2015, 07:04:36 AM
It depends. I convert to ogg files for streaming in Icecast but I use mp3 when I upload to another server, email etc. Ogg or mp3 are just audio "containers". Some formats have better quality than others for example. mp3 and ogg are lossy at normal recording of 44hz whereas flac is lossless at 44hz. It's kinda like I like Ford, you like Chevy. all personal pref and what you are using them for.

arite, so best to save original as flac or wav, then convert to most appropriate for any given situation.  Are wav and flac files the same thing?

serenity

Quote from: brig on July 28, 2015, 07:07:18 AM
arite, so best to save original as flac or wav, then convert to most appropriate for any given situation.  Are wav and flac files the same thing?
No. FLAC is lossless at 44hz where wav has a wider "lossless" range.......................I think

wr250?

Lilith

Quote from: serenity on July 28, 2015, 07:10:46 AM
No. FLAC is lossless at 44hz where wav has a wider "lossless" range.......................I think

arite, I will save my *originals* as wav files then.

wr250

Quote from: brig on July 28, 2015, 07:07:18 AM
no they are not.
flac  is compressed with no loss in quality .https://xiph.org/flac/
.wav is uncompressed , which therefore makes for a very large file size.

serenity

Just got Neil Gaiman reading A Christmas Carol. Great for my Christmas program!

Lilith

Quote from: wr250 on July 28, 2015, 07:12:16 AM
no they are not.

aritey then......sounds like I better save my originals as flac files instead.

serenity

Quote from: wr250 on July 28, 2015, 07:12:16 AM
no they are not.

Thank you! , I knew it was something like that but not sure which was which.......Old Timers you know lol

Lilith

Quote from: serenity on July 28, 2015, 07:13:02 AM
Just got Neil Gaiman reading A Christmas Carol. Great for my Christmas program!
Are you going to do a Halloween Special?  I am looking forward to hearing "The Outsider" episodes :D

Lilith

Quote from: serenity on July 28, 2015, 07:14:04 AM
Thank you! , I knew it was something like that but not sure which was which.......Old Timers you know lol

You have OldTimers?  I have SomeTimers......that prolly splains why we get along lol's

serenity

Quote from: brig on July 28, 2015, 07:16:18 AM
You have OldTimers?  I have SomeTimers......that prolly splains why we get along lol's

I think it's called CRS but I don't remember lol
Halloween special.....hmmmmm Yeah, I could do both seasons of The Outsider. Oh I gotta hunt for more. Too bad I couldn't "legally" play all of the past Ghost to Ghost episodes. I have most of them.

Didn;t you say something about your sound cloud brig?
and nbirnes and RoseGirl, time to start thinking about a Halloween Special!

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Jackstar on July 28, 2015, 04:59:48 AM
Look, look, I can't understand more than eighty percent of what WhiteCrow says, so I don't know if I agree with him or not, but I'm going to go on record now, as saying that WhiteCrow should TAKE THE MARBLES OUT OF HIS MOUTH.

Jesus! Mary! Joseph the fucking carpenter!

Yep... even worse than ... Also have the perfect face for radio.... I suk, would not even make the grade on Dave's show.

serenity

Quote from: WhiteCrow on July 28, 2015, 07:24:10 AM
Yep... even worse than ... Also have the perfect face for radio.... I suk, would not even make the grade on Dave's show.

Me neither lol I do however make a great Wanted poster!  ;)
Oh and brig, you wanted the Outsider, you got the Outsider!   Playing now

Lilith

Quote from: WhiteCrow on July 28, 2015, 07:24:10 AM

WhiteCrow, sometimes I have to relisten to you, but I find everything you have to say well worth the repeat.   I also love the "Crow who happens to be pale" avatar for you.  It speaks perfectly to my adversion to *political correctness*

Lilith

Quote from: serenity on July 28, 2015, 07:25:37 AM
Me neither lol I do however make a great Wanted poster!  ;)
Oh and brig, you wanted the Outsider, you got the Outsider!   Playing now

I hear Rosie :D  I love to hear Rosie talk !!!!

serenity

wr250, do you have or know of a script I can embed in the radio page near the player to show "now playing" ?

wr250

Quote from: serenity on July 28, 2015, 07:31:01 AM
wr250, do you have or know of a script I can embed in the radio page near the player to show "now playing" ?
i do not. Themudking would be the one to ask that question

serenity

Quote from: wr250 on July 28, 2015, 07:33:09 AM
i do not. Themudking would be the one to ask that question

Ah, hadn't thought of that. TY sir

WhiteCrow

Quote from: VoteQuimby on July 28, 2015, 02:31:27 AM

Thanks for the new custom Bella-Haven avatar! Nicest thing anybody ever did for me...
I'm not worth.

Lilith

Quote from: WhiteCrow on July 28, 2015, 07:39:49 AM
Thanks for the new custom Bella-Haven avatar! Nicest thing anybody ever did for me...
I'm not worth.

Yes you are..see, even VoteQuimby appreciates you!!!!

WhiteCrow

Quote from: brig on July 28, 2015, 07:26:28 AM
WhiteCrow, sometimes I have to relisten to you, but I find everything you have to say well worth the repeat.   I also love the "Crow who happens to be pale" avatar for you.  It speaks perfectly to my adversion to *political correctness*

Thanks Brig... To quote Clint... "A Man's got'a knows his limitations" talking to two intelligent woman that think and talk 3 times faster than me, is way beyond beyond my abilities.
I was foolish to even try.

Lilith

Quote from: WhiteCrow on July 28, 2015, 07:52:00 AM
Thanks Brig... To quote Clint... "A Man's got'a knows his limitations" talking to two intelligent woman that think and talk 3 times faster than me, is way beyond beyond my abilities.
I was foolish to even try.

No need to try so hard, just be yourself!! Talking is never foolish, it is always brave IMO.

Lilith

You never know who the people in the live chat really are, that is the reason I like to post in the bellgab forum threads better.  It is my choice.  I like to know the words I am reading "go with" the avatar I see.  I gave the live chat a try, but I am going to suggest that from this point forward, if you see someone in the Bella-Haven live chat named brig, it is most likely not me. In truth, I have not been in there at all lately, so if you have seen me there, it was not me.  Therefore, I would like to request, that if you decide to save and post the live chats, that you kindly remove any comments posted in my name before you save and/or post it.  Thank You ahead of time Nancy.  :D