• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

HAL 9000

Time to go tend to the garden, but once last post: "The Guilded Turd"

Cleaned up jpg artifacts from everywhere EXCEPT from his face, which was leeft untouched. Do with it as you will.

The Professor

Quote from: V for Vendetta on July 19, 2009, 04:28:02 AM
Time to go tend to the garden, but once last post: "The Guilded Turd"

Cleaned up jpg artifacts from everywhere EXCEPT from his face, which was leeft untouched.

That's his face? Oh my!

Quote from: V for Vendetta on July 19, 2009, 04:28:02 AM
"The Guilded Turd"

Sweet touch with the lighting - a looming shadow to give it that hip 'taken-with-a-cell-phone-in-the-bathroom-mirror' look. 

Who else could pull that off with their promo pix?   Very clever.  George Noory, again setting the bar for quality.

Then again, maybe it was just that he wasn't able to have his picture taken without Tommy lurking in the background...

EvB

Quote from: Supernormal on July 19, 2009, 01:23:04 AM
The man sure do loves him some comic books. A science fiction movie based on a graphic novel based on a Dean Koontz book about D.B. Cooper being the Smiley Face Killer would be like manna from Heaven to Ian.

I'm an Ian fan and often feel compelled to defend him. But THIS is funny!   ;D

Hello EvB, Pirate, Professor, & Itty Bit.

A gift for you, to start the week off in a ~reflective way.~

(Do note the autograph)

Quote from: EvB on July 19, 2009, 06:43:15 AM
I'm an Ian fan and often feel compelled to defend him.

I used to hear that a lot.  Not so much anymore.

Itty Bit

I used to be an apologist for Ian.  No longer.  Don't even bother to listen to him anymore. 

The Professor

Quote from: Itty Bit on July 19, 2009, 10:18:59 AM
I used to be an apologist for Ian.  No longer.  Don't even bother to listen to him anymore.

I think there is truth to the criticisms of Ian, but he is still 100x better than Noory, and I can listen to ian's show, while I cannot listen to Noory, because hearing a smart, smug host host does not bother me nearly as much as a dumb, phony host.

EvB

Quote from: The Professor on July 19, 2009, 06:10:13 PM
I think there is truth to the criticisms of Ian, but he is still 100x better than Noory, and I can listen to ian's show, while I cannot listen to Noory, because hearing a smart, smug host host does not bother me nearly as much as a dumb, phony host.

I don't get the smug part, though I've heard that word and ones like it used to describe him often enough to know that something is going on that pushes people's buttons.

Does he have a temper?  Yep

Does he rush more than I'd like sometimes to gt to as many callers as possible?  Yes, but I think his intentions are good; I've heard him do it even with callers he's obviously enjoying.

Does his conversation style include expressing his own views?  Yes - but so does Art's - though he's more likely to frame his POV as a question than a statement. And, I'd rather hear someone with an opinion than someone who derails the flow of conversation or just says "gosh" or "I love it" all the time.

I just don't hear smug.  I hear someone who likes what he is doing and wants to get in the game.

Living and working in a academic community I hear a lot of smugness, arrogance and presumed superiority.  I am irritated by it.  But, maybe over the years my tollerance for "smug" has risen higer than the average Jane's - I dunno!

Quote from: The Professor on July 19, 2009, 06:10:13 PM

Are we all talking about Ian Punnett?

To me 'dumb phony host' applies to both of them... For sure the 'phony' part.  Ian seems to be more of an intellectualoid, than smart lately, too..

I actually like George better most of the time, because his stupidity can be hilarious.  Not Ian - that is all oh so serious tardwork.

Ian does do better with a good guest though.  As rare as either one of them has one.

It's sad, Ian used to be so much better, and I looked forward to the nights he was on.  Having observed many organizations, I can say the guy at the top always sets the tone.  So perhaps the head person at PremRad is a nasty high functioning retard that is in well over his head, or perhaps the different shows operate independently and George is the one setting the tone for Coast (see Tommy, Lisa, Ian).  But the current iteration of Ian is far different than the one of even a year ago.

But it's ok if some like him.  I can see that.

Quote from: EvB on July 19, 2009, 06:50:20 PM
I don't get the smug part

Irritatingly pleased with oneself; self-satisfied to an annoying degree.

Exhibiting offensive satisfaction with oneself or with one's situation; self-righteously complacent

"A smug glow of self-congratulation".

Ian's an ass.

EvB

Well, sure - I know what smug means.  I just don't hear that quality listening to Ian.  What can I say?

Itty Bit

Before Steve Quayle (is that the spelling, or even the name?), when Ian pushed the guy to the wall - that was good stuff.  IMHO.  He called that guy out, and said what most felt, again, in MY opinion, that doom and gloom and fear just isn't right, all the time.  Being aware is one thing.  Irrational fear doesn't serve any one's best interest. 

The following week, Ian capitulated.  He grovelled, he prostrated himself in front of us all.  There is nothing wrong with humility, but the sucking up was pretty bad.  Ian, again in my opinion, changed that night. 

I used to do everything possible to make sure I could listen on Saturday nights, and the rare Sundays.  I enjoyed his humor, when many did not.  A person might not care for his religious beliefs, but many times he could talk intelligently about them.  But he's changed, and I don't have the ability to give words to how I think he's changed, but I rarely, if ever, turn on the radio to listen to anyone on Coast.  Now that I'm out of the habit, I don't even bother with Knapp.

There are other things I enjoy.  One is sleeping. 

sigh

EvB

QuoteThe following week, Ian capitulated.  He grovelled, he prostrated himself in front of us all.  There is nothing wrong with humility, but the sucking up was pretty bad.  Ian, again in my opinion, changed that night.

Others have said the same.  Still others have said that interview was the height of Ian's arrogance.

I heard both the interview and the apology. The apology was part of what helped me to understand what Ian's intent was (and I believe still is) in interviews.  He does not want to do journalistic Q & A.  He wants a "conversation partner."  If you listen to his conversion with Bloom re: Michael Jackson - you will hear exactly that.  These are men who admire each other (Bloom and Punnett)  but do not agree on Jackson's intent or behavior when it came to children. While Ian did defer to Bloom to an extent, he did not let Bloom's defense of Jackson go without comment.

My own opinion of the Steve Quayle interview as that it was Quayle who was rude, arrogant, and presumptuous.  In fact, he was a first class prima donna.  He wanted to deliver his speech - without being challenged in any way. But, Ian was the host - and for whatever reason, chose to say he should have been a more gracious one.  Who knows what went on behind the scenes before or after?  Not me.

Still, I agree it would be hard for most people to come away form hearing all of that and not want to avoid one, if not both, men.  For me, it was Quayle I lost any respect for or interest in - but then, I had little enough to begin with!

valdez

Steven Quale is a smart guy, but he's use to walking all over George and Punnet wasn't going for it.  It was a good interview.  Last night Punnet almost went off the rails with the Veggan Fascist.  It made for a good show.  I stand with Ian.

EvB

Speaking of he Jackson interview - did anyone get to rip the stream of hat before they took the whole thing down?  All you can get now is the dowloadable segments - which they edit the music out of.   :'(

They don't usually do that for at least a month!  And, you can still hear other, older shows in their entierty. My guess is that the Jackson estate complained - or the PremRad suits wanted to forestall the possibility.

HAL 9000

Quote from: EvB on July 19, 2009, 08:08:23 PM
Speaking of he Jackson interview - did anyone get to rip the stream of hat before they took the whole thing down?  All you can get now is the downloadable segments - which they edit the music out of.

What was the date of the interview in question? i have the podcast version with no commercials or bumpers, but i also have sources where I may be able to get a so-called "uncut" version - you'll hear all commercials - everything.

The Professor

Quote from: Itty Bit on July 19, 2009, 07:14:52 PM
Before Steve Quayle (is that the spelling, or even the name?), when Ian pushed the guy to the wall - that was good stuff.  IMHO.  He called that guy out, and said what most felt, again, in MY opinion, that doom and gloom and fear just isn't right, all the time.  Being aware is one thing.  Irrational fear doesn't serve any one's best interest. 

The following week, Ian capitulated.  He grovelled, he prostrated himself in front of us all.  There is nothing wrong with humility, but the sucking up was pretty bad.  Ian, again in my opinion, changed that night. 

I used to do everything possible to make sure I could listen on Saturday nights, and the rare Sundays.  I enjoyed his humor, when many did not.  A person might not care for his religious beliefs, but many times he could talk intelligently about them.  But he's changed, and I don't have the ability to give words to how I think he's changed, but I rarely, if ever, turn on the radio to listen to anyone on Coast.  Now that I'm out of the habit, I don't even bother with Knapp.

There are other things I enjoy.  One is sleeping. 

sigh

I agree, Quayle and Cotterel were turning points, both got the boot by Ian, and clearly Ian got some reprimand for it, hence his many on-air apologies, and both guests getting a freebie shill-session from Noory soon after...They are both charlatan nuts of the highest order, ian did the right thing in booting them, they should not be on the air anywhere shilling their scamwares....Since then, Ian has strongly veered away from nut-guests, the recent chanelling of jackson being an exception, and a sad one at that...

The Professor

Quote from: valdez on July 19, 2009, 08:03:08 PM
     Steven Quale is a smart guy, but he's use to walking all over George and Punnet wasn't going for it.  It was a good interview.  Last night Punnet almost went off the rails with the Veggan Fascist.  It made for a good show.  I stand with Ian.

A smart guy and a total charlatan nut-ball...Ian was at his best when he booted him, but its come a long way since then...

EvB

Quote from: V for Vendetta on July 19, 2009, 08:19:16 PM
What was the date of the interview in question? i have the podcast version with no commercials or bumpers, but i also have sources where I may be able to get a so-called "uncut" version - you'll hear all commercials - everything.

Saturday June 27, 2009 -- Thank you!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 18, 2009, 06:10:51 AM

~Back from spelunking the Abyss.~
(unlucky you)
cam... it's with a profound sense of joy i welcome you back.  you're needed.

a fabulous post on your return.

EvB

Quote from: EvB on July 19, 2009, 08:27:59 PM
Saturday June 27, 2009 -- Thank you!

Well Son of a Gun the full stream is back.  Must have been a temporary glitch.

HAL 9000

Quote from: EvB on July 19, 2009, 08:50:21 PM
Well Son of a Gun the full stream is back.  Must have been a temporary glitch.

That means I can stop looking?

Quote from: The Professor on July 19, 2009, 08:23:35 PM
I agree, Quayle and Cotterel were turning points, both got the boot by Ian, and clearly Ian got some reprimand for it, hence his many on-air apologies...

I don't know which one I heard, I sorta tune out (or turn off) the nuts and charlatans, don't really even know one from another unless they are on all the time, but I heard one where the guest either got dumped or left on his own after Ian insisted they discuss what they had agreed to discuss ahead of time.  It sounded like an intentional mis-communication by the guest of what the show was supposed to be about, and Ian wasn't having it.

The couple of times Ian was on, he was groveling and apologizing all over the place.  That apology had to have been insisted on by George 'this show is not about arguing and fighting' Noory. 

Ian had always been up and down, with a little bit of the smarmy, smug, little punk stuff, but it seemed more like just a bit of schtick.  My thought was after that, he just said screw it, and decided to really be himself, which to me is unfortunate.

hillcrest

hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:P :P :P :P :P :P

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)  :) :) :) :) :) heh. these tiny smileys are cute  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

:'(