• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

VtaGeezer

Quote from: West of the Rockies on October 16, 2014, 05:34:45 PM
I have already forgotten which film I even went to see when the coming attractions and ads go on too long.
Yeah.  With a disk at home, you only have to FF through a dozen trailers and the FBI nonsense.

albrecht

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 16, 2014, 05:47:25 PM
Yeah.  With a disk at home, you only have to FF through a dozen trailers and the FBI nonsense.
Unless you go to a theater that allows one to drink (or still bold enough to risk a flask these days) there is no reason to show up to the "show times" listed- unless one is going near opening night. A waste of at least an half-hour it seems. So many trailers (ruin the movie for you) and ads. Prices go up, and still more ads and trailers!
ps: does anyone remember when books had ads? Usually cigarette ads and usually sorta cheap paperback novels or compilations like "Alfred Hitchcock:Presents" or crime novels or pseudo-novel/magazines like Ellery Queen? I'm wondering when (or if) EBooks will start having ads embedded in them?

Quote from: albrecht on October 16, 2014, 06:25:55 PM
Unless you go to a theater that allows one to drink (or still bold enough to risk a flask these days) there is no reason to show up to the "show times" listed- unless one is going near opening night. A waste of at least an half-hour it seems. So many trailers (ruin the movie for you) and ads. Prices go up, and still more ads and trailers!
ps: does anyone remember when books had ads? Usually cigarette ads and usually sorta cheap paperback novels or compilations like "Alfred Hitchcock:Presents" or crime novels or pseudo-novel/magazines like Ellery Queen? I'm wondering when (or if) EBooks will start having ads embedded in them?

Don't some e-book readers themselves come with advertising built in?  A trade-off for a lower price?
Yes, I remember those ads.  Er, I mean I remember older relatives talking about them.... ;)

Gone Girl

One of the best this year. I am actually becoming a Ben Affleck fan.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 17, 2014, 11:55:26 PM
Awesome movie. I hope you were on drugs.

I am my own pharmacy. (so that's a permanently automatic 'yes'. heh.)

I'm viewing the new Godzilla next week. I hope they didn't show the best parts in the ads.

I am surprised at how often I am grateful I didn't waste the time or money to see something when it was playing in the theater.

Kelt

Jack Reacher.

*****Spoiler******

Tough guy beats up a shitload of expendable hoodlums, wins the end of level Boss Fight, rescues the princess DA's daughter, and struts off into the sunset on a Greyhound Bus.

If the books are as formulaic and outdated as the plot to that movie then I'll definitely be buying them on audio.  I have Olympic Insomnia, and listening to terrible audio books helps me nod off.

I wrote a short Jack Reacher novel just a minute ago, based on the movie, and here it is in its entirety.  Hopefully the plot isn't too complex for Jack Reacher fans.

It's called Jack Reacher Decks Some Guys and Rescues Some Chick Then Gets on a Bus.

"Jack Reacher punched the bad guy and the bad guy fell down. Then Jack Reacher punched another bad guy, and that bad guy fell down too. Jack Reacher then rescued some chick whose only reason for being in this book is so that Jack Reacher could rescue the fuck out of her, and to do so while he was limping and bleeding after smashing the end of level Boss. Jack Reacher then got on a bus and went to some other place where he would inevitably smash the fuck out of a bunch of dudes, four or five at a time.  ROADHOUSE!"

Look out for the sequel, 'Jack Reacher Beats Up a Bunch of Dudes and Maybe There Might Be a Helicopter Involved at Some Point.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 18, 2014, 12:01:40 AM
I am my own pharmacy. (so that's an automatic 'yes'. heh.)

I'm viewing the new Godzilla next week. I hope they didn't show the best parts in the ads.

I am surprised at how often I am grateful I didn't waste the time or money to see something when it was playing in the theater.

Prince of Darkness is a movie that has the feeling of high school embedded in it. Watching it any kind of sober is just... wrong.

Godzilla was pretty unremarkable. I'm going to try Pacific Rim next, which I heard was pretty okay. To stay on the theme of giant monsters fighting other giant stuff.
Some of the army stuff in Godzilla really felt like a recruitment add, I got the same thing from Man of Steel which I think explicitly had a recruitment tie in. Blech.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 18, 2014, 12:19:24 AM
Some of the army stuff in Godzilla really felt like a recruitment add, I got the same thing from Man of Steel which I think explicitly had a recruitment tie in. Blech.

Anytime I suspect I've been subjected to mind control recruitment propaganda, I have an absolutely decadent Mexican dinner with Stella Egyptian beer while re-watching They Live (1988).

I'm here to kick ass  ...  and chew bubble gum ...

Presto! Change-O! Cleaned neural axons!

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 18, 2014, 12:01:40 AM
I am my own pharmacy.

That means you've attained Supreme Enlightenment, you lucky dog!  Not many people can truthfully make that claim, so it's going to look really sweet on your resume! 

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 18, 2014, 12:37:08 AM
Anytime I suspect I've been subjected to mind control recruitment propaganda, I have an absolutely decadent Mexican dinner with Stella Egyptian beer while re-watching They Live (1988).

I'm here to kick ass  ...  and chew bubble gum ...

Presto! Change-O! Cleaned neural axons!

[attachimg=1]

Along with the best fight scene of all time.

"Put these glasses on."
"FUCK. YOU."

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 18, 2014, 01:14:33 AM

"Put these glasses on."
"FUCK. YOU."

I was looking for the South Park homage to that scene and found this instead.  Best of both worlds!  Timmy!

http://youtu.be/REbOa9lno6s

Quote from: Kelt on October 18, 2014, 12:12:31 AM
Look out for the sequel, 'Jack Reacher Beats Up a Bunch of Dudes and Maybe There Might Be a Helicopter Involved at Some Point.

helicopter

That would do it.

People will buy the "special embossed helicopter on cover" hell out of it.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 18, 2014, 01:14:33 AM

"Put these glasses on."
"FUCK. YOU."

Steam room fight in Eastern Promises. That one still makes me cringe.

Eddie Coyle

First saw this scene via HBO as an impressionable 9 year old old in August, 1984. Still one of my favorite anythings ever.

http://youtu.be/hPoxee46S4s

Kelt

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 18, 2014, 12:19:24 AM
Prince of Darkness is a movie that has the feeling of high school embedded in it. Watching it any kind of sober is just... wrong.

Godzilla was pretty unremarkable. I'm going to try Pacific Rim next, which I heard was pretty okay. To stay on the theme of giant monsters fighting other giant stuff.

Pacific Rim was dumber than shit.  One dimensional characters, a plot thinner than Debbie Does Dallas, and an insult to the intelligence of anyone who has two brain cells banging together inside their skull.

However... if you go into this movie knowing it's NOT Shakespeare, but rather giant robots smashing the shit out of giant monsters, accompanied by some of the most glorious CGI you've yet seen, then Pacific Rim is everything you could hope for.  My kid loved it.

analog kid

Quote from: Kelt on October 18, 2014, 08:21:01 AM
Pacific Rim was dumber than shit.  One dimensional characters, a plot thinner than Debbie Does Dallas, and an insult to the intelligence of anyone who has two brain cells banging together inside their skull.

However... if you go into this movie knowing it's NOT Shakespeare, but rather giant robots smashing the shit out of giant monsters, accompanied by some of the most glorious CGI you've yet seen, then Pacific Rim is everything you could hope for.  My kid loved it.

No worse than The Avengers, Captain America and all the other superhero movies. It was alright though; not something I'd care to watch a second time.

Yeah, all of that sounds alright to me. Just looking at the poster and trailers kind of made me expect these things to be selling points and not stuff I can really criticize.

I wasn't able to watch the Bad Boys scene but Billy Jack sure did some face kicking, all right.

Let's get more fight scenes up here!

http://youtu.be/sEnL3ukPauM

hahahahaha.  Perfect review.   8)

Kelt

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 18, 2014, 08:10:11 AM
          First saw this scene via HBO as an impressionable 9 year old old in August, 1984. Still one of my favorite anythings ever.

http://youtu.be/hPoxee46S4s

Here's the non-Hollywood version.

http://youtu.be/nk0XsSDOlfo

Dead Of Night (1977)

Horror anthology directed by Dan Curtis - written by Richard Matheson.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 18, 2014, 10:35:56 AM

I'm sensing tension.  You've returned to the right place to blow off some super steam.

Bates Motel Season 2
Walking Dead Season 4
Penny Dreadful Season 1

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 18, 2014, 01:12:09 AM
That means you've attained Supreme Enlightenment, you lucky dog!  Not many people can truthfully make that claim, so it's going to look really sweet on your resume!

I agree, it looks sweet, but then, at almost every interview they inquire, "You know how to use Excel? You have to know Excel."

Supreme Enlightenment is good, but you better "by God" know Excel.

I think they would prefer Excel over Enlightenment 2.0!

Barbarians.

I watched Blue Sunshine on someone's suggestion. Weird movie.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 18, 2014, 10:35:56 AM
I wasn't able to watch the Bad Boys scene but Billy Jack sure did some face kicking, all right.

http://youtu.be/sEnL3ukPauM

How the heck can you argue with the greatest of all-time, Bruce Lee? I even introduced my son to Jeet Kun Do before he could walk!

But for sheer fun, this is my favorite. I present for your viewing pleasure, in HD, the opening scene to The greatest vampire flick of all time....Blade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5_m0AwqPA#ws

Good call on Blade, I forgot all about that opening scene. The bloody sprinkler system was a nice touch for a vampire rave.

Another callback to Bruce, the infamous shootout from The Crow that cost Brandon Lee his life

http://youtu.be/Bi8obKLsc9A

Godzilla (2014)
The Descent (2005)
The Traveler (2010)