• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

A Japanese Sci-Fi Animation named Akira (1988) was on TV last night. I haven't seen this in at least 15 years, and it was better than I remembered. The animation was incredible.

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 08, 2013, 06:12:25 PM
A Japanese Sci-Fi Animation named Akira (1988) was on TV last night. I haven't seen this in at least 15 years, and it was better than I remembered. The animation was incredible.

I actually caught it too last night.  I had seen it many years ago, but I had trouble following it at the time.  For some reason this time I was able to flow right along with it and wow you're right the animation was so cool.  Also it was a nice change to see a real edgy adult animated movie complete with violence and drugs and bizarre disturbing imagery - not exactly the Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks paradigm.  I'd put it up there with my favorite anime flicks including Ghost in the Shell and Spirited Away.

Falkie2013

Quote from: yumyumtree on December 13, 2013, 11:06:19 PM
Letter to 3 Wives 1949

Not exactly movies I've watched department but I thought I'd mention it because I got an alert from CNN on my Iphone.

Didn't realize there was a celebrity deaths thread until after I posted this originally.

( Not doing well today. I'd had a cold for about a week ( I think its a cold ) and we went to visit my gf's brother last night and not only did our favorite Hofbrau in Livermore close 2 months ago ( we didn't know it until last night ) but he didn't tell us he was not only getting over the flu, but like Noory doesn't believe in getting flu shots, until after we'd been there for about 20 minutes. Got home and started coughing up stuff all night, runny nose, etc.

Bleah. ).

Peter O'Toole, great actor and wild guy in his youth and later, died last night in his sleep.

I enjoyed his movies with particular fondness for My Favorite Year.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/15/showbiz/peter-otoole-obit/

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/12/15/lawrence-arabia-star-peter-otoole-dies-at-81/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_O'Toole

Peter O'Toole Explains His Erratic Behavior on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show

Orson Welles and Peter O'Toole discuss Hamlet - 1

I just showed my daughter Lawrence of Arabia (over two nights).  It's pretty heady stuff for a 12-year-old, but she seemed engaged.  Damn, but that was a great movie.  Peter may have been one of the last true lions of film.  In the last 20 years, so many big Hollywood icons have left us:  Jimmy Stewart, Kate & Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Peter O'Toole, et al.  Lauren Bacall is still around and so is Mickey Rooney, but as far as old time Hollywood goes, there are not that many more.

Juan

I met a friend for coffee and listened to him describe, scene by scene, the sequal to Hunger Games.  I'm almost paralyzed.

b_dubb

Quote from: Juan on December 19, 2013, 05:47:41 PM
I met a friend for coffee and listened to him describe, scene by scene, the sequal to Hunger Games.  I'm almost paralyzed.
the first movie was pretty mediocre.  i don't understand why there's such a fan base.  are these the people who thought Dexter was the shit?  have we become that cynical that we're into game shows where kids murder kids and serial killers are sympathetic characters? 

those are rhetorical questions.  of course the answer is YES

Quote from: zeebo on December 08, 2013, 11:51:16 PM
I actually caught it too last night.  I had seen it many years ago, but I had trouble following it at the time.  For some reason this time I was able to flow right along with it and wow you're right the animation was so cool.  Also it was a nice change to see a real edgy adult animated movie complete with violence and drugs and bizarre disturbing imagery - not exactly the Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks paradigm.  I'd put it up there with my favorite anime flicks including Ghost in the Shell and Spirited Away.

Glad you guys both caught it and enjoyed it. The first time viewing of any anime for me is never really the memorable one, you need a few to really get what is happening in them.

Akira is hands down one of the best examples of these films ever. I think this was pretty much the breakout anime that introduced the west to those kinds of projects and definitely opened the door to the current flood of content we get from overseas today.

I've not seen Spirited Away but I am a huge Ghost in the Shell fan so SA is now added to my viewing list. Thanks!

BobGrau

Ever seen Tetsuo: The Iron Man? Holy Shit.

Tetsuo Part 1

+ Best Music Ever

Quote from: BobGrau on December 20, 2013, 06:13:30 PM
Ever seen Tetsuo: The Iron Man? Holy Shit.

+ Best Music Ever

Oh yeah thats an odd one. Did you see Ichi the Killer yet?

I just recently picked up from my local library a set of comics by a guy named Yoshihiro Tastumi (Abandon the Old in Tokyo, Pushman). His 60s and 70s comics were about the destruction of the soul in 50-60 Japan. Stuff like Tetsuo made more sense after that.

I should probably do a small write up on the "Reading Minds" thread. There is lots of animal symbolism. In one story, a man heavily in debt strips nude and hugs a dog to try and regain his humanity. Another compares eels to the old in Tokyo. Really odd stuff.

After Earth.

Usually, when I hear ALL the critics bashing a movie I can find SOMETHING worth watching....You know, so bad it's funny kind of stuff.

I could NOT even finish watching it!!  WOW.  I truly resent losing the buck-fifty I spent at Redbox for that piece of....   (hurling smiley, if we had one.)

Quote from: Treading Water on December 23, 2013, 05:47:21 AM
After Earth.

Usually, when I hear ALL the critics bashing a movie I can find SOMETHING worth watching....You know, so bad it's funny kind of stuff.

I could NOT even finish watching it!!  WOW.  I truly resent losing the buck-fifty I spent at Redbox for that piece of....   (hurling smiley, if we had one.)

I just watched this yesterday too!

b_dubb

After Earth ... as soon as I heard M Night was involved I lost ALL interest.  That guy should NOT be allowed to make movies. 

onan

Saw the Hobbit part II last week. If you are a purist, you will have some problems. If you are fond of dungeons and dragons stuff, but not a Hobbit geek, you will like most of it and look at your watch several times.

If you are into CGI, this will impress you. Although, I didn't really find the HFR all that offensive. Some have pointed to it being "too realistic" for a movie... yeah doesn't make that much sense to me either.

If you aren't doing anything else and have the cash, it isn't the worst way to kill almost 3 hours.

ItsOver

"...it isn't the worst way to kill almost 3 hours."  Hahaha, yes, I think we all know the worst way to kill up to 4 hours at night, if you can actually make it that far.  :D

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 21, 2013, 06:52:09 PM
Oh yeah thats an odd one. Did you see Ichi the Killer yet?

Finally saw that.  Um, probably not a great "first date" movie.    ???

Quote from: ItsOver on December 23, 2013, 11:01:28 AM
"...it isn't the worst way to kill almost 3 hours."  Hahaha, yes, I think we all know the worst way to kill up to 4 hours at night, if you can actually make it that far.  :D

Damn straight... Make yourself a proper cup of tea....

zeebo

Quote from: yumyumtree on December 23, 2013, 12:15:52 AM
Independence Day 1996

Seen that so many times, some great lines in that flick.  And who doesn't get just a little bit choked up with the pres. gives his rally speech, c'mon admit it.

yumyumtree

I know. I had never seen it and got a video at the church rummage. It was so hokey and some of the characters such cliches, but it's so patriotic. I can see why it was popular. I think that people liked the idea of the president going up in a fighter plane like kings in the old days who would go into battle with their men.Also alien abductees are vindicated, though I don't know how many saw the movie.  I like Bill Pullman, but I kept seeing the Dr. Feelgood in The Last Seduction who gets his thumbs broken because Ive seen that movie so many times. But that's my problem.

Next week I'm threatening to actually see a new movie in a theatre.

BobGrau

Quote from: yumyumtree on December 23, 2013, 12:15:52 AM
Independence Day 1996

For a by-the-numbers special FX extravaganza, it is an immensely enjoyable movie. But at the time I prefered Mars Attacks!

Tarbaby

Just watched STARS OVER TEXAS (1946, Western) because it starred EDDIE DEAN (one of the cohosts of GabCast 2.0). Same name anyway. Eddie Dean was a cowboy movie predecessor of Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and Tex Ritter, et al, back in the 40's, my favorite decade for classic "B" movies. I just wonder if it's OUR Eddie Dean. If so (and I just did some calculation) it would make our Eddie Dean over 92 yrs old. ;)

BobGrau

Quote from: Tarbaby on December 24, 2013, 08:52:38 AM
Just watched STARS OVER TEXAS (1946, Western) because it starred EDDIE DEAN (one of the cohosts of GabCast 2.0). Same name anyway. Eddie Dean was a cowboy movie predecessor of Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and Tex Ritter, et al, back in the 40's, my favorite decade for classic "B" movies. I just wonder if it's OUR Eddie Dean. If so (and I just did some calculation) it would make our Eddie Dean over 92 yrs old. ;)

I believe our Eddie Dean is a former junkie from co-op city, brooklyn NY who's died at least once and makes a mean gunslinger burrito. But I'm now wondering if his long-lost dad Steven King named him after the one you're talking about?

Quote from: Tarbaby on December 24, 2013, 08:52:38 AM

Not if he faked his own death after a botched bank job and stole someone's identity...

Tarbaby

Watched another EDDIE DEAN movie today called CHECK YOUR GUNS (1947)

Chine

Haven't posted here in a while so doing catchup. Caught myself on the Book Thread and thought I'd bring up something here.

Unfortunately, there's little movement on the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo sequel 'Girl Who Plays With Fire' from the Millennium series. With David Fincher grabbing other projects...shkipiddity (fuck if that's a word...it is now)...Film project hopscotches, losing Daniel Craig. Fingers crossed.

I did see Hunger Games Catching Fire. I write film reviews for our city's online magazine. Hunger Games and GWDT were two I covered. I'll spare lengthy thoughts.

There's a wonderful shift in sequels receiving praise over the first film. Not all mind you, but back in the day, not the case. Sequels just sucked too often. Yet, I'm addressing films based on series.

Was I loyal to Hunger Games? Possibly. (not talking books here)...just filmmaking. Hence, my keeping books in book thread. I found it entertaining and the cast is brilliant. But...there felt like they dropped the ball to set up the third film, Mockingjay. As one who rwad the series I almost missed it.

For those who are entering the film having not, felt they needed to address a big wham to launch enthusiasm for the third. Key points were not punched hard enough in script. That let me down somewhat. Because that pivot is brilliant with a big 'Are you fucking kidding me!?' as audience members piss their pants eager for the next film.

Nada. It was like my filet mignon shapeshifted into a damn steak um.