• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

When is the dollar crashing again?

Started by rangers1919, June 10, 2011, 12:58:52 AM

rangers1919

The next guest on C2C with even an elementary knowledge of economics will be the first. Every guest I've heard for the last 15 years has been saying the dollar is going to crash and we are going to be in hyperinflation. George is borderline retarded so he can't ask the simple questions to debunk their scaremongering--I would call it fraud since almost every one of them is involved in a gold or survival company which benefits when people buy their stuff.

The guest tonight is saying how the plan by the overlords has been to destroy the U.S. dollar. These are the huge multinational corporations. Next he says China owns all our debt, doesn't really make a coherent point about it, but tries to make it sound scary b/c we are a debtor nation. Then, another warning about inflation as a nation and as individuals. Well guess what? For debtors some inflation is good. It means you can pay back your debts with a devalued dollar getting rid of your debt with less real dollars. Some inflation for the U.S. would be good, just like it was in Japan after they wasted a decade trying the exact same methods the Noory's of the world are advocating now to fix the economy.

Every economics guest I've heard in the last 15 years on the show said the dollar is crashing, but it hasn't yet, and won't for at a minimum 10 years. That's if we do nothing to fight it and just let it happen. What are they going to put trillions of dollars into as an alternative to the dollar, the Yuen or gold? I don't think so.

Ruteger

I wonder if I should invest in gold? But then I see stories the Gold Bubble will burst. Gah! I DO think the Dollar will die soon. Don't want to get caught with my pants down. Anyone have suggestions?

Frys Girl

Quote from: Ruteger on August 17, 2011, 03:57:18 PM
I wonder if I should invest in gold? But then I see stories the Gold Bubble will burst. Gah! I DO think the Dollar will die soon. Don't want to get caught with my pants down. Anyone have suggestions?
Sure. Go buy some gold coins. I did read that Goldman Sachs is involved in the gold bubble, so do some research first! Caveat Emptor

MV/Liberace!

i'm no investment genius, believe it or not, but here's a noob question:  isn't it possible gold's rise has NOTHING to do with the dollar's value or lack thereof?  isn't it entirely possible that it's rising because people are buying it?  supply and demand?  i NEVER hear that mentioned as a reason behind the rise in gold.  maybe the more people buy, the more it rises, and the more it rises, the more people are convinced they need to buy.  entirely self perpetuating, and on an exponential growth path.

The General

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on August 17, 2011, 05:02:01 PM
i'm no investment genius, believe it or not, but here's a noob question:  isn't it possible gold's rise has NOTHING to do with the dollar's value or lack thereof?  isn't it entirely possible that it's rising because people are buying it?  supply and demand?  i NEVER hear that mentioned as a reason behind the rise in gold.  maybe the more people buy, the more it rises, and the more it rises, the more people are convinced they need to buy.  entirely self perpetuating, and on an exponential growth path.
I envision gold's value to be a flat line. It only appears to be on the rise in value when compared to the dollar, because the dollar has been in a free fall nosedive for a long, long time.

Harmness

Buy ammo.  And MREs.  And a few extra packages of underwear.

Lunger

Silver has a better upside potential then gold right now.  Silver is being highly manipulated, but the folks at JPM, GS, and Chase cant hold back the flood gates forever.

Personally, I think silver is cheap.  I can see it at 80, maybe 135.

Always buy physical

rangers1919

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on August 17, 2011, 05:02:01 PM

People who buy gold as an investment usually buy it as an alternative to investing in corporations (w/ stocks or corporate bonds), local bonds, treasury bonds, real estate, cash, etc. They do it because they think it will either offer a larger return than these other options, or because they think it will be a better store of value than the other options. Treasury bonds and the prime lending rate from the govt.  have had very low interest rates lately in an attempt to keep other interest rates down.

People are investing in gold because the business environment has been viewed as dangerous, or not likely to give a good return. Market crashes have harmed the return people think they will get on stocks. Over the long term gold is almost never  a good investment to make money from by holding--like all commodities it fluctuates a lot. This is why oil, food, and other commodities aren't included in official inflation numbers, b/c they change a lot based on things having nothing to do with the actual price level-no rain, oil shortages, etc.

I think people started buying gold as an alternative to real estate because it was a crashing bubble, next was as an alternative to stocks because it was a crashing bubble. Now I think people are buying it a little bit for the same reasons, but also because it has gone up so much. Also, there has been an onslaught of commercials saying how you can sell your "unused" gold, and how you can invest in gold b/c it has increased in price so much--the opposite of what you want to do as an investor. Gold was probably a good investment for quite a while, but now it has doubled in price with no real reason except as an alternative investment. I think gold investment is a bubble because it is a commodity with little real use compared to its market price right now.

There is no reason to think the dollar is going to crash any time soon. It would take at least 5-10 years if China tried to dump the dollar, which people are claiming is a big threat but probably isn't. Even if that happened whatever they decided to go into would be an alternative investment to the dollar, they couldn't do it secretly, and there is no way they would go into gold unless it was drastically cheaper. In that case anyone invested in gold would have already lost their money when it dropped to the low price so it would have been a bad investment. Inflation hasn't been an issue in the U.S., despite what Noory and his type have been saying (for how long?)-2009 had deflation, and 2010 had small inflation which was actually less than the ideal amount.

So, "i NEVER hear that mentioned as a reason behind the rise in gold.  maybe the more people buy, the more it rises, and the more it rises, the more people are convinced they need to buy.  entirely self perpetuating, and on an exponential growth path." could be exactly right, except I doubt it is on an exponential growth path. Gold would have been a great investment a few years ago, and may be for a while still, just like real estate, stocks, or mortgage backed securities. Why would Noory, or the dozens of other programs who have literally dozens of gold investment commercials a week even question whether it was a bubble?

Morgus

I see gold is jumping another 1% early today after big jumps daily the past few days.
Hitting another new record of $1850. At this rate could hit $2000 by the end of the month...
Gold prices nowadays is mostly a measure of the level of fear of investors over a deeper recession.