• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Nick el Ass

Quote from: Art Bell on April 14, 2015, 03:08:05 PM
Midnight in the Desert is on the way! It is official now, Starting in late July we will begin streaming a full show from Mon-Fri 9PM- 12AM P.T. It will come to you Worldwide on the Internet in 64Kbps Stereo on Tune In which has a free app available for download right now.

Keith and myself have come to a agreement and the main Studio gear has been ordered. There is a great deal of work ahead and all of you who are friends and fans will have to help out when the time comes by spreading the word far and wide.

Wanna Take a Ride?

Art Bell

Oh, wait... wrong axe. None the less, I'm sooooooooo ready.

Any chance of using the Nobex radio app as well?

coaster

Quote from: Art Bell on April 14, 2015, 07:54:46 PM
Are we back up? Ok, looks like we are. Does anybody know about 32Kbps AAC+ ? I have been told it can sound every bit as good as regular 64 and would sure save Bandwidth. Something we are looking into.

Art
I just tried to google it. The information I found is completely lost on me. Wish I could help.

akwilly

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 14, 2015, 03:37:08 PM
I suggest that gift subscriptions be offered so that we can spread the MITD meme and help support the effort in the process.
a gift subscription is a great idea

inuk2600

Quote from: Art Bell on April 14, 2015, 07:54:46 PM
Are we back up? Ok, looks like we are. Does anybody know about 32Kbps AAC+ ? I have been told it can sound every bit as good as regular 64 and would sure save Bandwidth. Something we are looking into.

Art
If it sounds great at 32Kbps and tunein can play it, then maybe start there. It would save some listeners on cell data from extra buffering episodes also.

Art Bell

Right, AAC+ is something very new and very interesting. We are looking into it because if as advertised it sounds every bit as good as 64 that's half the bandwidth for us and you, it will have to be proven to me. I hope it's true. As long as my music sounds good I am up for it.

Art

I always said that it would be sad if I ever started taking my smartphone to bed with me at night and that it would never happen. I am about to be wrong on both counts. AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER ABOUT IT!!!

Put me down for a few of the inevitable MiTD coffee mugs too.  Hopefully those will be available for sale when I sign up.

Let's do this.

Sue

Zoxo

Art, I'm so happy you aren't going to be tied to another non-compete deal!  This really truly is the best!  The big fluffy cloud company will likely try and get you again. Good to stand your ground on your terms. It's your turn, not theirs. :D

I hope people are willing to put their money where there moth is.

Quote from: Zoxo on April 14, 2015, 08:24:30 PM
Art, I'm so happy you aren't going to be tied to another non-compete deal!  This really truly is the best!  The big fluffy cloud company will likely try and get you again. Good to stand your ground on your terms. It's your turn, not theirs. :D

Good note on the puffy clouds. I think they were the player. Could be wrong. Maybe Art will tell us one day.

Art, can you clear one thing up for me: The podcasts for download AFTER will or will NOT include the music? no, right?

paladin1991

Quote from: ks3484 on April 13, 2015, 05:11:14 PM
How about an autographed book?
(click on the pic to enlarge)

Is that Carrot Top in the background?  You know before his 'change.'

coaster

Well you know once that twat George finds out the good news, hes gonna try to crap all over it again. Its what he does.

Cynnie

Quote from: Art Bell on April 14, 2015, 08:23:31 PM
Right, AAC+ is something very new and very interesting. We are looking into it because if as advertised it sounds every bit as good as 64 that's half the bandwidth for us and you, it will have to be proven to me. I hope it's true. As long as my music sounds good I am up for it.

Art

I'm so glad you stuck to your guns and we're getting the music too .
Cause dude , you always have the best music

Quote from: coaster on April 14, 2015, 08:31:54 PM
Well you know once that twat George finds out the good news, hes gonna try to crap all over it again. Its what he does.
Funny.. tonight is a 'live' chat

inuk2600

Art

It all comes down to the listening test. What's the deal with aacPlus v2?
I did a search for encoders but it doesn't seem easy to find.

Christmas in July!  Art, I'm really happy for you.  Congratulations!

You might want to consider establishing "The  Church of the Midnight Desert", you know so donations can be tax-deductible and all.  ::)

indigoo

Art

AAC has superior stereo coding and has a better MDCT at lower bitrates, which helps avoid the artifacts that can pop up in low bitrate MP3. It's a great alternative and most definitely worth testing out if it saves you bandwidth. It will help the music sound as good as possible at that bitrate, which is quite low for the intricacies of music in general.

But I'm someone that would love a FLAC/WAV file of your show as an option :p

phrodo

WooooooHooooooooo!!!!! This site went belly-up for a while so I did my taxes. While taking a break saw Art's announcement on facebook and I finished my taxes with a smile on my face. Got 'em e-filed now and again say WooooooooooHOOOOOOOOO!!!

I'm ready for a ride.  ;D

Catsmile

Art

HE AAC can sound much better than MP3, especially at lower bitrates.
The rub being to use HE AAC (AAC+) you must pay a licensing fee.
The link below explains AAC LC, and HE-AAC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Efficiency_Advanced_Audio_Coding

Licensing and patents

Companies holding patents for HE AAC have formed a patent pool administered by Via Licensing Corporation [24] to provide a single point of license for product makers.

Patent licenses are required for end-product companies that make hardware or software products that include HE AAC encoders and/or decoders.[25] Unlike the MP3 format,[26] content owners are not required to pay license fees to distribute content in HE AAC.

Meh, AAC, MP3, 32 kbps, 64kbps, all I know is after all this time, I'm to the point that I'm willing to listen to Art read the phonebook through a cell phone with a bad connection and the radio ON in the background.  Even that would be better than what's on the radio now.

'So get ready for that.'

indigoo

Quote from: Catsmile on April 14, 2015, 09:08:22 PM

HE AAC can sound much better than MP3, especially at lower bitrates.
The rub being to use HE AAC (AAC+) you must pay a licensing fee.
The link below explains AAC LC, and HE-AAC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Efficiency_Advanced_Audio_Coding

Licensing and patents

Companies holding patents for HE AAC have formed a patent pool administered by Via Licensing Corporation [24] to provide a single point of license for product makers.

Patent licenses are required for end-product companies that make hardware or software products that include HE AAC encoders and/or decoders.[25] Unlike the MP3 format,[26] content owners are not required to pay license fees to distribute content in HE AAC.

You sure? This reads as if someone wanting to include the codec in their software need to pay, which is obvious. The very last line even says "content owners are not required to pay license fees to distribute content in HE AAC".

My question was answered...
I have my 'insider' membership to listen primarily to Art's shows .. I figured I'd get the full advantage of the LIVE CHAT.

Dave thinks 5 nights a week is a lot of work Art.
Sustain yourself.

bateman

Quote from: HorrorReporter on April 14, 2015, 09:16:03 PM
My question was answered...
I have my 'insider' membership to listen primarily to Art's shows .. I figured I'd get the full advantage of the LIVE CHAT.

Dave thinks 5 nights a week is a lot of work Art.
Sustain yourself.

Dave has proven he can do 5 nights a week with zero effort.

inuk2600

Quote from: indigoo on April 14, 2015, 09:11:56 PM
You sure? This reads as if someone wanting to include the codec in their software need to pay, which is obvious. The very last line even says "content owners are not required to pay license fees to distribute content in HE AAC".

Heh, I did a double-take on that line too. Thought the "not" was slipped in by accident.
This pdf on aacPlus v2 is an audio geek's bonanza...

https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreview/trev_305-moser.pdf

popple

Quote from: bateman on April 14, 2015, 09:18:25 PM
Dave has proven he can do 5 nights a week with zero effort.

Connie Willis does all the heavy lifting.

indigoo

Quote from: inuk2600 on April 14, 2015, 09:20:13 PM
Heh, I did a double-take on that line too. Thought the "not" was slipped in by accident.
This pdf on aacPlus v2 is an audio geek's bonanza...

https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreview/trev_305-moser.pdf
Yea I double-checked the Wikipedia entry and can confirm it says NOT, so I'm confused. Paying to use the codec for decoding/encoding in a software suite is different than an end-user using it for content. We'll see I guess.

Catsmile

You can go to Shoutcast and click on Type, there you will see many AAC streams at varying bitrates.
You can compare AAC to MP3 streams. http://www.shoutcast.com/

deadmeow

Lets take a blast from the past.... Instead of 32k AAC+, lets have some more of those 16k RealAudio files!!!!!!