• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Overrated Movies

Started by zeebo, November 06, 2014, 05:07:10 PM

zeebo

Go ahead, get 'em out of your system.  These are not necessarily bad movies, but overrated.  Critics, friends, awards shows all rave about them, but for you, they just didn't meet expectations - and all the hype mystified you. 

These just came to me now, I know I have more:  Gravity, Argo, American Hustle, The Hangover, Little Miss Sunshine, The Descendants, Silver Linings Playbook.

bateman

Wintermute

You can mark be down for both Gravity and Argo. Gravity was especially bad, really bad, wanted to hit someone bad.

Casablanca, Seven, My Left Foot, Any Tim Burton movie, any John Wayne movie, any Elvis movie, Zero Dark Thirty, Titanic, Platoon, Godfather movies, Patton, The Departed...

One I don't get the popularity of at all is the first Captain America movie. That was Transformers bad.

I could go on and on, but the point is that one person's garbage is another's treasure.

wr250

every single movie that has aired on the lifetime network, or LWN (lifetime womens network) .

b_dubb

jazmunda

Quote from: wr250 on November 06, 2014, 05:38:00 PM
every single movie that has aired on the lifetime network, or LWN (lifetime womens network) .

I don't believe any of those movies would qualify as being overrated. I think most people who don't crochet covers for toilet rolls and tissue boxes would wholeheartedly agree that any movie shown on Lifetime sucks.

ItsOver

Anything with that skank named Gwyneth.

wr250

Quote from: jazmunda on November 06, 2014, 05:50:59 PM
I don't believe any of those movies would qualify as being overrated. I think most people who don't crochet covers for toilet rolls and tissue boxes would wholeheartedly agree that any movie shown on Lifetime sucks.

your giving them to much credit by saying they suck. "suck worse than george noory after losing his 3x5 cards and forced to ad lib"  is more appropriate. in fact those "movies" and or "television shows" on lifetime networks blow so bad, noory actually looks competent or even good whilst hosting c2c in comparison.

jazmunda

Quote from: wr250 on November 06, 2014, 06:07:54 PM
your giving them to much credit by saying they suck. "suck worse than george noory after losing his 3x5 cards and forced to ad lib"  is more appropriate. in fact those "movies" and or "television shows" on lifetime networks blow so bad, noory actually looks competent or even good whilst hosting c2c in comparison.

I guess the world would implode if George Noory starred in a Lifetime movie.

wr250

Quote from: jazmunda on November 06, 2014, 06:11:34 PM
I guess the world would implode if George Noory starred in a Lifetime movie.
no he would improve it.  or be made stronger by absorbing the suck that is the lifetime network, dont know which .

albrecht

Napoleon Dynamite.
Had some fun laughs but never understood how society became so obsessed with it or how re-watching it could hold any value.

Eddie Coyle

Anything directed by that Opie kid. Especially the ones with Kip from Bosom Buddies.

ItsOver

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 06, 2014, 08:08:39 PMu
    Anything directed by that Opie kid. Especially the ones with Kip from Bosom Buddies.
Eddie, that avatar shakes the crap out of me.  A PSA flight that lives in infamy.
Carry on.

ksm32

Quote from: coaster on November 06, 2014, 05:53:22 PM
The James Bond films

OUCH! Coaster you have to suspend disbelief in some cases. I love the SC and RM 007's.

Every horror movie in the last 15 years that has had this in the trailer>>>> "the scariest movie since the exorcist". They ALWAYS suck.

Great idea, Zeebo! 

For starters, in no particular order--

Animal House

The Blair Witch Project

What b_dubb said about  Star Wars

Just about anything by Woody Allen except The Front and maybe Zelig, and that was before he took up with his teenage step-daughter.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ItsOver on November 06, 2014, 08:22:53 PM
Eddie, that avatar shakes the crap out of me.  A PSA flight that lives in infamy.
Carry on.

Come Fly Noory Airlines...

The American Airlines 191 crash(Chicago 1979) picture was a bit blurry for an avatar.

Gd5150

Everything Tarantino made after Pulp Fiction.

Anything by Oliver Stone.

b_dubb

ItsOver

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 06, 2014, 09:22:45 PM
    Come Fly Noory Airlines...

The American Airlines 191 crash(Chicago 1979) picture was a bit blurry for an avatar.
Ha! and argh!  I must be a bit of a gore maester.  Nothing compares to reading about the horrific San Diego and Chicago crash sites.  Why I remain a white nuckle flyer.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ItsOver on November 06, 2014, 10:49:36 PM
Ha! and argh!  I must be a bit of a gore maester.  Nothing compares to reading about the horrific San Diego and Chicago crash sites.  Why I remain a white nuckle flyer.

Child is Father to the Man...but this demented three old in Sept 1978 and May 1979 was fascinated by the news coverage, albeit so primitive in retrospect. Air Florida on Jan 13, 1982 probably taking the cake in terms of dramatic rescue shots.

Overated film: Network.

Quote from: Wintermute on November 06, 2014, 05:26:50 PM
You can mark be down for both Gravity and Argo. Gravity was especially bad, really bad, wanted to hit someone bad.

Casablanca, Seven, My Left Foot, Any Tim Burton movie, any John Wayne movie, any Elvis movie, Zero Dark Thirty, Titanic, Platoon, Godfather movies, Patton, The Departed...

One I don't get the popularity of at all is the first Captain America movie. That was Transformers bad.

I could go on and on, but the point is that one person's garbage is another's treasure.

Holy shit! Your selections beg the question, what in the hell do you consider to be a great film?

Casablanca?? Any Duke Wayne film...like, say, The Searchers? Damn! That's hardcore lol. Wait a damnit minute....The Departed?? Best gangster movie...EVER.

Babel

Worst hyped film I have ever almost sat entirely through. Awful!

MV/Liberace!

Citizen Kane. I'm sick of seeing that piece of shit included in every "greatest movie" list.

zeebo

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 06, 2014, 08:08:39 PM

If this thread dies right now, it was still worth it for this one post.   :D

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: zeebo on November 07, 2014, 12:17:32 AM
If this thread dies right now, it was still worth it for this one post.   :D

And I thank you for the opportunity to minimize the achievements of superstars. Where Morgan Freeman is still the guy from The Electric Company, Sharon Stone is the girl from Bay City Blues and Billy Crystal is that gay fella on Soap.

Quote from: wr250 on November 06, 2014, 05:38:00 PM

I'm gonna disagree with you there. They have made the same movie thousands of times and people still watch! Also great for keeping the lady distracted. Sort of like giving a kid a Nintendo 3DS.

I am going to add all the Christopher Nolan Batman stuff here. Saw them all once and as I was leaving my main thought was "those movies all had really good sound."  Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit.

Rocky Horror Picture Show. Phantom of the Paradise was much better.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 07, 2014, 12:47:34 AM

Rocky Horror Picture Show. Phantom of the Paradise was much better.

Much funnier, De Palma stand by Gerritt Graham was hilarious and George Memmoli was really good, too.