• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No
What a joke tonights show is. Why did he book about music.

ManiacMatt

Quote from: EnterDragon on May 02, 2012, 06:46:28 PM
Noory made some good points in last night's show about student loans and the responsibility of the university. Seriously, I'm surprised no one mentioned it on here. Noory came up with some good points, such as lower payments for students who are unemployed. And Universities should give a student a percentage of the chances of job placement, based on their major. If the chances are low, then they should pick a different major. That I agree with.

If someone is interested in a particular subject/major then they should research this on their own and make an informed choice.  There are sources for this type of job market info already.  The purpose of going to a university is to get an education, not a promise of a job.  The idea that one is entitled to a good job just because they went to college and got a piece of paper is ridiculous.

Noory made some good points in last night's show about student loans and the responsibility of the university. Seriously, I'm surprised no one mentioned it on here. Noory came up with some good points, such as lower payments for students who are unemployed. And Universities should give a student a percentage of the chances of job placement, based on their major. If the chances are low, then they should pick a different major. That I agree with.

If a kid isn't smart enough or motivated enough to suss that out on their own, then University isn't the place for them IMO.

<rant> Man, expectations are becoming lower & lower.</rant>

stevesh

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 02, 2012, 05:53:07 PM
Tonight, another hardcore conspiracy-truther zealot (after another treacle-soaked "spiritual awakener" to keep the losers on board).  What was verboten under AB is becoming pretty common   Premiere has clearly ordered a hard right course correction.  Wells warms up in the weekend bull pen as Glenn Beck Lite while Premiere hopes to find GN in a compromising position with a goat so he can be fired.    George "Milquetoast" Noory isn't bright enough to see the handwriting on the wall.

Did you actually listen to the show ? I was thinking they had scheduled the rare hard-left wingnut. Labor unions, which will be the saviors of America, are being broken by midwest state governors, the Postal Service (and its unionized workforce) is being deliberately destroyed, which will ruin the economic life of rural Americans and Governor Snyder here in Michigan is trying to install 'dictators' in the cities which have failed fiscally. All 'progressive' bullshit propaganda.

Also, FDR did (and could do) no wrong, and everything bad that happened during his terms in office resulted from various conspiracies, mostly military.

Galaga

A few nights ago I was listening to KLBJ out of Austin and they were playing a "best of" George Noory. My first thought was, "Really?? Is there such a thing? They musta had to look pretty damn hard."

A country sounding dude had called in and just starting kissing Noory's rump something fierce, making comments to the effect that he had traveled all over the country and that George Noory was the best interviewer he ever heard (he ought to know, after all, because he listens to a lot of talk radio). Though, he did say something about a host in Georgia being pretty good. Don't recall the host's name, so maybe the Georgian was cruddy and the compliment was actually a spoof. Anyway, the whole call sounded like a pathetic setup and that seemed confirmed when Noory replied (paraphrasing):

"Sometimes I ask questions that people think come out of left field. Like maybe I'll ask them (pause) 'Did you play baseball when you were a kid?' But you know what? There's a reason I ask those questions. It loosens up the guest and helps them to relax. I explained that once to a to another host I was talking to at a convention and he said, 'You know what? That makes sense!'"

I can't imagine the expression on my face but needless to say, I ain't picking up what Noory's puttin' down. Doesn't he realize that his absurd excuse doesn't even remotely explain all of his turd-festooned habits? Repeating questions, asking questions that literally have just been answered, missing obvious follow up questions and interjecting his own marginally related experiences and recollections as though he is adding to the conversation (it doesn't). That's the height of stupidity... when you are so stupid that you can't even properly account for your own dumbsmithing.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: stevesh on May 03, 2012, 03:40:21 AM
...Labor unions...are being broken by midwest state governors, the Postal Service (and its unionized workforce) is being deliberately destroyed, ...and Governor Snyder here in Michigan is trying to install 'dictators' in the cities which have failed fiscally. All 'progressive' bullshit propaganda.
First, full disclosure:  I didn't hear the show, because I've basically given up on Noory.
But are you, stevesh, arguing that those things you listed aren't happening?   Or just that any argument against them is "progressive bullshit?"

Galaga

I see several people on here criticize Noory for putting Alex Jones on the show.

Sure, what Alex says can be challenging. But if you actually research what he says, some of it checks out and is unsettling.

Example: the National Defense Authorization Act 2012 which allows the military to indefinitely detain US citizens without trial or due process. Furthermore, it was revealed by the congressman that inserted this provision that the White House (Obama) had demanded the provision be added, ostensibly so Obama could proudly veto the bill on the basis of denying the very provision he'd demanded be inserted! Then he turned around and signed the damn thing! You don't exactly hear Sean Hannity, Brian Williams or Rachel Maddow talking about that stuff, do ya?

Where I'll agree that Jones sucks is that he's easily the rudest talk show host I've EVER heard. Constant interruptions, digressing to personal experiences that are only tangentially related to the issue at hand and confabulation to no end ("The troops are growing opium in Afghanistan!" No, Alex, the clip YOU JUST PLAYED clearly stated that they're doing nothing to stop opium cultivation. Stopping it is outside of their mission orders. You're making it sound like they're out there plowing fields, planting, tending, harvesting and processing.) Then there's the disparaging of homosexuals: inane comments about foppish men, "Butch Napolitano" (Janet) and "Mr. Maddow" (Rachel); for a self-described civil libertarian, he sure has a sucky way of living up to his ideals.

I could continue and point out the legions of AJ's crappery. As a talk show host, he is far worse in his essential skills than even George Noory and as we all know, Noory sucks. I'm just saying that it seems to me a lot of people herein dislike Alex Jones, which is totally understandable, but it seems to me it's for ill-defined and/or the wrong reasons.

stevesh

Quote from: Ben Shockley on May 03, 2012, 04:15:19 AM
But are you, stevesh, arguing that those things you listed aren't happening?   

I am, though it might just be a potato-potahto thing. The actions Wisconsin's governor (and Ohio's) took weren't intended to 'break' the public employees unions, but rather to decrease their political power to a sane level. Public employees, IMO, shouldn't be allowed to unionize, as the unions end up contributing massive amounts of their members' money to the people charged with negotiating with them. A blatant conflict of interest.

The Postal Service is being destroyed by a perfect storm of cultural moves to other forms of communication and the venality and stupidity of nearly every member of Congress, who won't allow the USPS to take the measures it needs to (postage increase, closing of unneeded processing plants and post offices, ending Satuday delivery) in order to be profitable. No right-wing conspiracy involved.

Governor Snyder is, like governors before him, applying Michigan state law to cases where cities are essentially bankrupt but want financial aid from the state's taxpayers. He has the authority (and the responsibility, as I see it) to require state-authorized managers to control those cities' financial lives if they want aid from the rest of us.

I really don't want to turn CoastGab into just another Right vs. Left shouting match, but whatever last night's show was, it didn't indicate a 'hard right course correction'.

I liked the show on May 2.

The history/political guy was an interesting conspiracy theorist that had some decent argument points and his "evidence" was interesting as well (he actually had sources).
He basically shut down Noory-I think there was 2 minutes of Noory talk the last 2 hours of the show.
I also thought the callers were good too. For example the old guy talking about how FDR forced him to sell gold at 50 cents on the dollar(?) was something I had never heard before and was interested in hearing.
Most importantly he was not boring (unlike Marshall Masters who was very boring).

I did roll my eyes at his constant book plugs, and also continual trillion dollar infrastructure projects...

The first guess was a true loon and I also liked that segment because it was fresh.

El Kragen

Quote from: Galaga on May 03, 2012, 04:14:10 AM
A few nights ago I was listening to KLBJ out of Austin and they were playing a "best of" George Noory. My first thought was, "Really?? Is there such a thing? They musta had to look pretty damn hard."

"Sometimes I ask questions that people think come out of left field. Like maybe I'll ask them (pause) 'Did you play baseball when you were a kid?' But you know what? There's a reason I ask those questions. It loosens up the guest and helps them to relax. I explained that once to a to another host I was talking to at a convention and he said, 'You know what? That makes sense!'"

lol @ that nonsense. I'm sure Noory picked the technique up from some used car salesman but he never learned how to do it correctly.

Frys Girl

I hate going to my post office. The workers are so rude...... beyond rude. They have contempt for me when I ask if I have the right postage on something and they carry on with their conversations. Any other business where customers are treated like that, you go elsewhere. I have no sympathy for the postal workers. I do like the mail delivery people I've met. They're nice.

Frys Girl

Quote from: b_dubb on May 02, 2012, 08:34:27 PM
uhhhhhhh whhhhat? ??? guess I should google this?
Only if you care about this loan crisis explosion.

I mean, people actually think law school = big bucks and power. It's a shitfest actually. Even if you go to a tier 2 school, you'll be fighting for crumbs. Only go to law school if you LOVE LOVE LOVE law and love to write and research. It will kill your spirit and social life, but if you love it, it's all worth it.

Law schools report false and phony data on their sites about employment, so I don't totally blame the students. Also, the American Bar Association protects the scam.

Oversoul

A country sounding dude had called in and just starting kissing Noory's rump something fierce, making comments to the effect that he had traveled all over the country and that George Noory was the best interviewer he ever heard (he ought to know, after all, because he listens to a lot of talk radio). Though, he did say something about a host in Georgia being pretty good. Don't recall the host's name, so maybe the Georgian was cruddy and the compliment was actually a spoof. Anyway, the whole call sounded like a pathetic setup and that seemed confirmed when Noory replied (paraphrasing):

I can't imagine the expression on my face but needless to say, I ain't picking up what Noory's puttin' down. Doesn't he realize that his absurd excuse doesn't even remotely explain all of his turd-festooned habits? Repeating questions, asking questions that literally have just been answered, missing obvious follow up questions and interjecting his own marginally related experiences and recollections as though he is adding to the conversation (it doesn't). That's the height of stupidity... when you are so stupid that you can't even properly account for your own dumbsmithing.

George Noory is millions of light years far, far away from the likes of Charlie Rose or Bill Moyers, in being an exemplary and professional talk show host and interviewer.  Noory is the antithesis of the PBS standard for broadcast journalism, education, information, and investigation.  He is a pathetic amateur compared to them.

b_dubb

I'm right there with you. I live in a college town and see these undergrads who've grown up under the super-guidance of their helicopter parents and have never really had to work or scrap for anything. they think once they get their degree that they'll get a fat job, a Bentley, and the mansion of their choosing. how I wish I could be there when reality kicks their ass and they realize that they've been kidding themselves. I have a friend who is going to law school at duke university and he tells me about these kids who basically have a nervous breakdown when they get anything less than a A on a test or paper. adult children. emphasis on children

Frys Girl

Quote from: b_dubb on May 03, 2012, 09:05:32 AM
I'm right there with you. I live in a college town and see these undergrads who've grown up under the super-guidance of their helicopter parents and have never really had to work or scrap for anything. they think once they get their degree that they'll get a fat job, a Bentley, and the mansion of their choosing. how I wish I could be there when reality kicks their ass and they realize that they've been kidding themselves. I have a friend who is going to law school at duke university and he tells me about these kids who basically have a nervous breakdown when they get anything less than a A on a test or paper. adult children. emphasis on children
I see nothing wrong with people freaking out over less then good grades. It's competitive out there. I do have a problem with people who expect good grades for less than excellent work!

b_dubb

if you can't handle getting anything less than an A don't enroll in a demanding, super competitive program at a prestigious university

Frys Girl

Quote from: b_dubb on May 03, 2012, 10:00:26 AM
if you can't handle getting anything less than an A don't enroll in a demanding, super competitive program at a prestigious university
That is the exact thing that keeps students from trying hard. Students who get to top schools are used to putting in the work and earning the top grades. Administrators who have grade quotas piss me off the most. In law school, it is really bad. The grading schemes are so arbitrary, and considering that you don't even learn to practice law in school, but rather in the bar review course, it's kinda sad.

Lunger

Quote from: Ben Shockley on May 03, 2012, 04:15:19 AM
First, full disclosure:  I didn't hear the show, because I've basically given up on Noory.
But are you, stevesh, arguing that those things you listed aren't happening?   Or just that any argument against them is "progressive bullshit?"

The term "Progressive Bullshit" is a pleonasm

Gassy Man

Quote from: ManiacMatt on May 03, 2012, 12:52:11 AM
If someone is interested in a particular subject/major then they should research this on their own and make an informed choice.  There are sources for this type of job market info already.  The purpose of going to a university is to get an education, not a promise of a job.  The idea that one is entitled to a good job just because they went to college and got a piece of paper is ridiculous.
Lots of good comments here about the situation, but I'm especially fond of this one.  That's the problem with college having become mainstream -- the expectations have become consumer-oriented, and consumers expect satisfaction for their purchase . . . the problem is they are the ones who are supposed to provide it.   

Gassy Man

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 03, 2012, 09:51:03 AM
I see nothing wrong with people freaking out over less then good grades. It's competitive out there. I do have a problem with people who expect good grades for less than excellent work!
Agreed, though I will say the disproportionate level of emotions is what b_dubb describes.  I have a student this term who insists she got "all As" in high school; nonetheless, her first assignment ignored many of the principles we'd discussed at length in class, and I've had to take her aside and explain that if she asks a question, she has to give me a chance to answer it before interrupting with yet another question.  It's obvious she has anxiety about being in the class, which is unusual for an "all A" student.  Taking that into account, though, she also is more focused on the grade than the learning, which is one of the reasons she doesn't pay attention enough to the discussions to learn the very lessons that would get her the grade.             

Gassy Man

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 03, 2012, 10:51:38 AM
That is the exact thing that keeps students from trying hard. Students who get to top schools are used to putting in the work and earning the top grades. Administrators who have grade quotas piss me off the most. In law school, it is really bad. The grading schemes are so arbitrary, and considering that you don't even learn to practice law in school, but rather in the bar review course, it's kinda sad.
We've got two law schools where I'm at.  The more prestigious is at the public university, where entry is highly competitive; the other is at a private college, where entry is based pretty much on your having an undergraduate degree from somewhere . . . it stays in business essentially by admitting large numbers of first-year students.  Many drop out of school but the ones who go on combined with the next incoming wave generates the income to keep the doors open.  I know some graduates of the program, and they get a good education if they make it, but the reality is the system is set up to just keep letting people in the front door so that the money comes with them; a lot of for-profit schools follow a similar plan just so they can get access to all of the financial aid money out there.           

Frys Girl

Quote from: Gassy Man on May 03, 2012, 11:31:01 AM
Agreed, though I will say the disproportionate level of emotions is what b_dubb describes.  I have a student this term who insists she got "all As" in high school; nonetheless, her first assignment ignored many of the principles we'd discussed at length in class, and I've had to take her aside and explain that if she asks a question, she has to give me a chance to answer it before interrupting with yet another question.  It's obvious she has anxiety about being in the class, which is unusual for an "all A" student.  Taking that into account, though, she also is more focused on the grade than the learning, which is one of the reasons she doesn't pay attention enough to the discussions to learn the very lessons that would get her the grade.             
Congrats on being the lucky teacher who has to teach her more than the curriculum you were hired to cover! She will learn from this, even if she doesn't get the grade she wants. When I teach, I tell students: I'm fair if you're fair with yourself. Otherwise, I seem unfair. I always do a mid semester survey: what grade do you want? What do you deserve? It's amazing how honest and humble people are. I also see a few jerks, but most people are good. I'm glad to see more students and parents wanting more education. What sucks is the value of that education is so little when you realize that college isn't there to teach you how to earn a living: life does! Your ability to put those non-academic skills does.

Even the best engineering professor will tell you that. When you get a job, they don't ask you to sit and solve integrals! You get that practice in school. Getting the job is about more than that.

There is a career services agency in most schools. I think kids should go there before they pick a major.

I also hate when people make fun of certain subjects. I love the choices we have in this country. Damn it, if I want to take an East Asian Women's Studies class, then let me do it. However, to tell me I need to be given the right major and classes is wrong.

In Iran, it used to be that a county adviser would assign you to your future career by stamping you as doctor, lawyer, engineer, teacher, etc.... This is terrible and a lot of people from my parent's generation ended up studying things that they hated, even if they were profitable. Choice is important and I hate to think that one day, kids will expect others to do the choosing for them out of high school.

Market forces are good indicators. If you observe them and adapt, you can make a good living. It won't be quick and easy, but it works. Nothing is easy.

fysisist

Better yet, why not use the money for college to buy a plane ticket to France, and become a socialist?

... the whole call sounded like a pathetic setup and that seemed confirmed when Noory replied (paraphrasing):

So George was displaying his complete lack of self awareness while he's doing a show again.  Does he really not notice these useless questionscontinually come just as the guest is about to make the point he has spent several minutes building up to?  Does George really not realize it wen he confuses and distracts the guest and they lose focus on what they were talking about?  Does he really think he is helping when he interrupts and ruins the flow of the show?

After the first 'how are you?', 'what 's new with you?', 'what's next?', the guest is either warmed up and ready to go or they will never be.

George may be a lousy host and iterviewer, but he sure spends a lot of time making excuses for his Suckage.  Time that would be better spent in show prep or just learning a little bit about the world around him.  A good start would be simply paying attention when the guest is speaking.  For the full show.  Every night.

b_dubb

Is she an A student on her own merits? Or did her helicopter parents "help"?

analog kid

Quote from: fysisist on May 03, 2012, 12:34:00 PM
Better yet, why not use the money for college to buy a plane ticket to France, and become a socialist?

Like Mitt Romney?

McPhallus

I was an obsessive A student in college, and I was anxious about EVERYTHING.  An A grade meant you did "OK," and anything less meant you sucked and were a failure.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: stevesh on May 03, 2012, 03:40:21 AM
Did you actually listen to the show ? I was thinking they had scheduled the rare hard-left wingnut. Labor unions, which will be the saviors of America, are being broken by midwest state governors, the Postal Service (and its unionized workforce) is being deliberately destroyed, which will ruin the economic life of rural Americans and Governor Snyder here in Michigan is trying to install 'dictators' in the cities which have failed fiscally. All 'progressive' bullshit propaganda.

Also, FDR did (and could do) no wrong, and everything bad that happened during his terms in office resulted from various conspiracies, mostly military.

I listened to Tarpley for about 90 minutes.  Though more entertaining and lucid than most, he's still a delusional paranoid. I don't pay much attention to where these conspiracy cracked-pots sit on the political spectrum.  Left or right, they're paranoia or revenge driven zealots who have lost the ability to assimilate reality.  When they talk about towers on the moon or statues on Mars, they're  entertaining; when they talk about decent people who work in govt being involved in murder they are corrosives eating at the structure that stabilizes the culture. Here they are the incubators for the McViegh, and in the ME, of the Ben Ladens.  The Tarpleys plant seeds that mutate badly; another paranoid uber-nationalist freak went on a rampage and killed four in AZ yesterday; these guys are rarely bright enough to formulate their complex delusions on their own. Tarpley, Jones, et al fed them.

I also noted GN's repeated attempt to get him to address the mindset of conspiracy freaks...which he side-stepped.

Digitech

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 03, 2012, 11:54:37 AM
I also hate when people make fun of certain subjects. I love the choices we have in this country. Damn it, if I want to take an East Asian Women's Studies class, then let me do it. However, to tell me I need to be given the right major and classes is wrong.

I love studying east asian women, too. I don't know why people think it's weird...

stevesh

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 03, 2012, 02:36:37 PM
I listened to Tarpley for about 90 minutes.  Though more entertaining and lucid than most, he's still a delusional paranoid. I don't pay much attention to where these conspiracy cracked-pots sit on the political spectrum.  Left or right, they're paranoia or revenge driven zealots who have lost the ability to assimilate reality.  When they talk about towers on the moon or statues on Mars, they're  entertaining; when they talk about decent people who work in govt being involved in murder they are corrosives eating at the structure that stabilizes the culture. Here they are the incubators for the McViegh, and in the ME, of the Ben Ladens.  The Tarpleys plant seeds that mutate badly; another paranoid uber-nationalist freak went on a rampage and killed four in AZ yesterday; these guys are rarely bright enough to formulate their complex delusions on their own. Tarpley, Jones, et al fed them.

I also noted GN's repeated attempt to get him to address the mindset of conspiracy freaks...which he side-stepped.

I agree completely. My only (possibly over-expressed) issue was the idea that all 9/11 truthers or other idiot paranoids must be right-wingers. There's plenty of stupidity at both ends of the political train wreck.