• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

GravitySucks

Quote from: Renegade Smurf on June 06, 2018, 02:31:52 PM
Interesting thoughts. I'm listening to the C2C archives, and the difference btween Art and HLW at the same age is incredible. I believe that when Art started to make it big with C2C in the mid 1990s, he was the same age as HLW is now. Art sounded knowledgeable even then, and HLW sounds like an adult kid. I'm curious to know how Art got so good while HLW is the way she is. A late start?

At least Greg Carlwood of The Higherside Chats embraced his pot use and created a business model around it.

GravitySucks

Quote from: kidshare on June 06, 2018, 02:57:48 PM
And there you are.

Indian looking?  Let’s be pejorative while being out of touch.

zeebo

Quote from: brig on June 06, 2018, 02:46:06 PM
I agree.  For some guests who have been around a while, I will enjoy listening to Dave put them through the wringer....

Just to argue against myself, there have been a couple shows I thought would be duds topic-wise, but it was precisely because of Dave's detailed questioning that they opened up interesting paths of discussion.  There ya go Dave, I hope that my self-conflicted input has helped.

Metron2267

Quote from: DarKPenguiN on June 06, 2018, 02:49:57 PM
I think thats probably a very complex situation.

For one, the barrier to entry back then was insanely high and difficult- With very few being able to make it in radio and a system of gatekeeping that separated the wheat from the chaff... By the time someone had made a career in radio and was middle aged- They would have to be head and shoulers above the competition. And Art was.

You totally get the business model, and of course the other thing it featured then was super low wages for those starting out. That kept a lot of crabs in the pot.

QuoteWould Art have "made it" in todays world. Probably not... He would have quickly realized that the reward isnt really there anymore and pursued something more lucrative. I'm certain alot of real potential talent is lost because now that the barrier to entry is so low (as in anyone can have an internet radio show) and the competition for actually making a buck is so high (you are competing against anyone with an internet connection) and the competition so fierce- Most with Arts talent would move on to something else and we are left with the Veras of the world who arent really making money doing this but are seeking something else (e-fame? Idk...Its beyond me)

An interesting take for sure, Art might have pioneered digital though knowing he could control a revenue stream - think back to how many early MITD ad accounts are gone. I don't know whose hand went into getting "Hello Holiday" to buy spots, but it was an unusual sponsor, one of many that left MITD after Art bailed. I believe those were accounts he was bringing in, not Keith...

QuoteThe internet has changed everything- Its also made competition for entertainment dollars a blood fest. The people pursuing 'radio' these days are dreaming of a career (that will probably not happen and will end up being a beg-a-thon for a few bucks to make rent) but quickly see that its not going to happen- So the smart ones (like Bell) probably move on and we are left with the ones who lack real talent...I'm generalizing too and not trying to tar everyone with a broad brush but overall that is the case.

And you have to have a network that is willing to force its stations to take your feed alongside its more lucrative ones. That screws it all up.

QuoteBell came on the scene when nobody was broaching this subject matter- There were still gatekeepers- People like "us" (bell fans) didnt have 24/7 acess to all the entertainment we wanted on demand. Every person (who at the time hadnt been completely debunked) involved in the fringe was lining up to get on his show and he could pick and choose the best of the best.

The time and place was a perfect storm.

100% agreement.

Quotefast forward to today and I can google a subject that interests me (say Cryptozoology) and have on demand radio about that one subject that will last me for years and years and years. I can download audiobooks for very cheap and my entertainment choices are limitless- In the mid 90s theres Bell for fringe topics.

So the people getting into this today either quickly realize they are going to be lost in the shuffle, work really hard and make little to no money OR they move on. So the ones that stay in this 'business' are seeking something different for the most part and by proxy are not going to be in the same league as what we had in the past.

Its an interesting discussion.

Very much so, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dyna-X

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 06, 2018, 02:58:08 PM
At least Greg Carlwood of The Higherside Chats embraced his pot use and created a business model around it.
Would he welcome or sue me if I made a Higherside Cat Show? Cats are naturally stoned.

timebandit

What's "motivational speaker" pay?
Asking for a friend.

Lilith

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 06, 2018, 02:47:52 PM
Lol, glad to know I'm not the only one... ;)

Another voice that would sound great in a paranormal news segment is Brian Alvarez, but I think he's still tied up with "Dragon King Dark"...

Reads a fine ghost story though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT1IWYulT3A

...starts in at 1:15....

Yes, well, how could I forget?  I took a LOT of flack for saying so at the time...

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dyna-X on June 06, 2018, 03:00:41 PM
Would he welcome or sue me if I made a Higherside Cat Show? Cats are naturally stoned.

You and Bart Ell should collaborate.

Metron2267

Quote from: Father Jack on June 06, 2018, 02:54:19 PM
Ready, set....everyone lower your expectations to avoid disappointment!

Or listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mysteriousuniv

Ben and Aaron are the gold standard in paranormal podcasts in my opinion. ;D

The music is always superb.

Metron2267

Quote from: brig on June 06, 2018, 03:01:13 PM
Yes, well, how could I forget?  I took a LOT of flack for saying so at the time...

That I can totally believe!

This crab pot claws any and every person down.

:-\

Kaiborg

For one, the barrier to entry back then was insanely high and difficult- With very few being able to make it in radio and a system of gatekeeping that separated the wheat from the chaff... By the time someone had made a career in radio and was middle aged- They would have to be head and shoulers above the competition. And Art was.

Would Art have "made it" in todays world. Probably not... He would have quickly realized that the reward isnt really there anymore and pursued something more lucrative. I'm certain alot of real potential talent is lost because now that the barrier to entry is so low (as in anyone can have an internet radio show) and the competition for actually making a buck is so high (you are competing against anyone with an internet connection) and the competition so fierce- Most with Arts talent would move on to something else and we are left with the Veras of the world who arent really making money doing this but are seeking something else (e-fame? Idk...Its beyond me)

The internet has changed everything- Its also made competition for entertainment dollars a blood fest. The people pursuing 'radio' these days are dreaming of a career (that will probably not happen and will end up being a beg-a-thon for a few bucks to make rent) but quickly see that its not going to happen- So the smart ones (like Bell) probably move on and we are left with the ones who lack real talent...I'm generalizing too and not trying to tar everyone with a broad brush but overall that is the case.

Bell came on the scene when nobody was broaching this subject matter- There were still gatekeepers- People like "us" (bell fans) didnt have 24/7 acess to all the entertainment we wanted on demand. Every person (who at the time hadnt been completely debunked) involved in the fringe was lining up to get on his show and he could pick and choose the best of the best.

fast forward to today and I can google a subject that interests me (say Cryptozoology) and have on demand radio about that one subject that will last me for years and years and years. I can download audiobooks for very cheap and my entertainment choices are limitless- In the mid 90s theres Bell for fringe topics.

So the people getting into this today either quickly realize they are going to be lost in the shuffle, work really hard and make little to no money OR they move on. So the ones that stay in this 'business' are seeking something different for the most part and by proxy are not going to be in the same league as what we had in the past.

Thank you... truer words haven't been spoken.  You can see the same effect in the Music and Film industries as well.  It explains the declining quality of content in most entertainment, tbh. 

DaveSchrader

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 06, 2018, 01:57:08 PM
Interesting essay on what works and why.

I still think that a staple of both Art's MITD and George's Coast that might work in setting the mood is a paranormal news segment to lead in with.

I know Leo Ashcraft caught some grief for his vocal style, but the difference in voice, cadence, the element of surprise at how he pronounces certain words, it all lent the initial MITD a certain flavor. Amy Martin was acceptable also.

Just a thought... :)

We do Supernatural News on our Saturday program so it would then become a rehash of what we have already covered during the week. And in all honesty, there is not always enough news to report on each night

DS

albrecht

Quote from: DynamoHum on June 06, 2018, 08:32:20 AM
I once worked in a family planning clinic. A woman came in for the morning after pill, on her occupation she wrote "Psychic". I often wondered......
Why she didn't predict the assignation and prepare prophylactics beforehand?

ItsOver

Quote from: brig on June 06, 2018, 02:39:36 PM
Here I've been thinking for ages, that I was the only one that thought Leo and Amy added something to MITD...    :o
I liked them, too.  Something different.  I can flip on the tube for the usual propaganda.

DynamoHum

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2018, 03:10:59 PM
Why she didn't predict the assignation and prepare prophylactics beforehand?

+1

albrecht

Quote from: DaveSchrader on June 06, 2018, 03:09:06 PM
We do Supernatural News on our Saturday program so it would then become a rehash of what we have already covered during the week. And in all honesty, there is not always enough news to report on each night

DS
If you are looking for an unsolved "true crime" story this one has always been puzzling and lots of theories and/or ideas of links to local corruption in the area. Federal Prosecutor who was found killed by his penknife and drowning, supposedly.

https://lancasteronline.com/news/local/who-killed-jonathan-luna-a-decade-later-federal-prosecutor-s/article_362ae867-53cc-5da3-a56b-d3bdefd54927.html

http://yardbirdbooks.com/luna.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Luna

DaveSchrader

Quote from: WeinerInHand on June 06, 2018, 02:39:04 PM
Also, Heater let's callers do "other" things while speaking to her on air.
What are your thoughts on such active audience participation?

Sincerely,
Weiner in Hand

Color me intrigued. What would she let them or encourage them to do?

DS

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on June 06, 2018, 02:59:55 PM
Just to argue against myself, there have been a couple shows I thought would be duds topic-wise, but it was precisely because of Dave's detailed questioning that they opened up interesting paths of discussion.  There ya go Dave, I hope that my self-conflicted input has helped.
What's going on, Zeeb?  First a vote for Jorch and now self-conflicted input.  Somebody needs some Knapp time. ;)

albrecht

Would Art have "made it" in todays world. Probably not... He would have quickly realized that the reward isnt really there anymore and pursued something more lucrative. I'm certain alot of real potential talent is lost because now that the barrier to entry is so low (as in anyone can have an internet radio show) and the competition for actually making a buck is so high (you are competing against anyone with an internet connection) and the competition so fierce- Most with Arts talent would move on to something else and we are left with the Veras of the world who arent really making money doing this but are seeking something else (e-fame? Idk...Its beyond me)

The internet has changed everything- Its also made competition for entertainment dollars a blood fest. The people pursuing 'radio' these days are dreaming of a career (that will probably not happen and will end up being a beg-a-thon for a few bucks to make rent) but quickly see that its not going to happen- So the smart ones (like Bell) probably move on and we are left with the ones who lack real talent...I'm generalizing too and not trying to tar everyone with a broad brush but overall that is the case.

Bell came on the scene when nobody was broaching this subject matter- There were still gatekeepers- People like "us" (bell fans) didnt have 24/7 acess to all the entertainment we wanted on demand. Every person (who at the time hadnt been completely debunked) involved in the fringe was lining up to get on his show and he could pick and choose the best of the best.

fast forward to today and I can google a subject that interests me (say Cryptozoology) and have on demand radio about that one subject that will last me for years and years and years. I can download audiobooks for very cheap and my entertainment choices are limitless- In the mid 90s theres Bell for fringe topics.

I was relistening to a twenty year old Jeff Rense show the other day and he was commenting that pretty soon "every idiot will be hosting their own internet radio show" and how the "quality" of guests and researchers will be going down hill.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: DaveSchrader on June 06, 2018, 12:05:40 PM
Interesting to read what people want or expect from a show or it's host.

If you only knew how may emails and comments I get about,
" Just get to the guest, nobody tunes in to hear the host blather on or try to paint a mental picture for an audience. Let the guest shine and if they are strong they will get us to where we want to go. Just just up and guide, don't insert yourself."

For the record, it is 11pm to 2am when I broadcast, from my home studio, all alone, with one single bulb illuminating my night. So it is Midnight for me....and although I do not live in the desert our show originated and it's cornerstone station is there.

As far as the way I host, I try to show respect for the topics and guests. Solid guests are often retisent to do shows like ours for fear of being ridiculed, treated tongue in cheek like most main stream media.

To let ones Hair Down, one must have hair. Lol

But in all seriousness, when we cut loose on Darkness Radio we get compared to college radio and told to act more polished, professional.  Again, a case of half the people want it one way, half a totally different way.

It's funny as I read how much people disliked Heather or her hosting then get told that they prefer the way she hosted and her "trainwreck" approach.

The good thing is, we coexist. If you like train wreck radio you have a place to go for it, if you want some one to treat the topics with respect, prepared and able to move a 3 hour conversation without the need to cry, seek pity or blather on about cats and treat listeners with respect even when we disagree, then you have a show for that too.

I will continue to read constructive criticism and make adjustments where I can.

Thanks to all of you for your collective patience and general sense of support.

Truthfully I wish people would move past the title of the show and appreciate the program on the whole, escapism from every day topics covered every where else. It shouldn't matter if it's Midnight in the Desert or Midday at the Beach. Most people listen during the day anyway to replay.

This is the show title...it is what it is...I guess I can try to sound more insane and gravelly voiced, bit it seems all that will lead to is complaints for sounding like Art and Heather.

I wonder if this is how Schizophrenia starts? Lol

DS

No disrespect but none of that's important. Like the diet coke chick said, Just do you, whatever that is. ;)

GravitySucks

Quote from: DaveSchrader on June 06, 2018, 03:15:17 PM

DS

NSFW

Especially if he shows you his wiener in hand.

kidshare

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2018, 03:17:27 PM
I was relistening to a twenty year old Jeff Rense show the other day and he wasn't commenting that pretty soon "every idiot will be hosting their own internet radio show" and how the "quality" of guests and researchers will be going down hill.

I brought this up in a Facebook group. How many of these experts are just riding the Art Bell coattails and aren't experts at all, just telling a tall tale and seeing who bites at the bait. Any Jane or Joe can write a book and get on the air, it seems. It's like a pro sports league expanding to more cities and then wondering why there aren't enough quality players.

I'm surprised nobody is answering. Sometimes her male callers get real quiet and you can hear change jangling.

DS

Quote from: DaveSchrader on June 06, 2018, 03:09:06 PM

DS

Good Dave! Just wanted to chime in to say I'm officially a huge fan. The past couple years I only listened to HW shows when the topic or guest was of interest to me. Never listened to open lines which was something I loved with Art and you gave that back to me. The only shows of Art's I didn't bother with was Bigfoot themed ones. But you got me hooked in when you had Robert Gimlin as a guest.

So you got me listening to every show! You must be doing something right Dave, I'll tell you that.

And you could be doing the show from the bullpen at Progressive Field for all I care, I'll look after the ambiance, you deliver a top quality interview.

Alright we're reaching a bottom of the hour break here, I'll be right back after these messages. :o

WeinerInHand

DS

Hahaha - I didn't think anyone was paying attention! I wanted to see if I could slip one through! However, the answer DOES reveal itself in past posts.

Since I have your attention, you are doing well.
Same as you did with C2C. You take some unexpected angles during interviews and that seems to work for you.

Also, I think bellgab is right about a quick news intro at the start of the show.
It does allow for mental adjustment.

In the end, just relax...

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 06, 2018, 08:40:57 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUQ2WGA8mJQ

Bellgab and their war on Heather explained.

Nuff said.

:(

This is way off. If someone on here did a show - and it was any good - people would support it. Not everyone, but most would. People dislike HW because the whole thing reeked of bad faith from the beginning. Art gave us a turd in a bun and pretended it was a hot dog. It's the fakery that people dislike above all.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 06, 2018, 03:17:35 PM
No disrespect but none of that's important. Like the diet coke chick said, Just do you, whatever that is. ;)

Yes, but you tried that and everyone thinks you're a cunt.

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 06, 2018, 02:31:41 PM
Purple sage and purple haze

Dave, I dig your show.
You’re the New Rider of the Purple Haze.

/s/
Crawdad
(not a crab)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 06, 2018, 03:39:20 PM
Yes, but you tried that and everyone thinks you're a cunt.

Prove it!

GravitySucks

Quote from: Étouffée on June 06, 2018, 03:41:59 PM
Dave, I dig your show.
You’re the New Rider of the Purple Haze.

/s/
Crawdad
(not a crab)

How you doing over there mudbug?