• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: whoozit on December 13, 2015, 04:25:36 PM
I've heard of sea lawyers now we have thread lawyers.  Too many damn lawyers.

Objection!

grizpsych

Quote from: rekcuf on December 13, 2015, 04:26:50 PM
You'd have to verify intent first, correct?
Obviously the intent is to stop AB from doing what he likes--Terrorism.

MR. Spock

I PM Art about doing one last show aka a farewell show. It would be good for us to say our good byes and all of us to remember about the some of the best shows/guest and the like. I hope that art does one more lap aka a last show.

Megatherion

Quote from: stephber on December 13, 2015, 02:09:52 PM
I'll stay with DMDN as long as it exists online - I need an alternative to Snoory's drivel.

Keith needs as much support as possible to keep DMDN on the air. I just looked at StreamGuys site and it's $175/month for 200 stream connections - that's 35 subs for carrying this to 200 people alone to cut even. Unfortunately, now I see why Hoagie was so concerned.

You're leaving out advertising revenues.

trostol

Quote from: whoozit on December 13, 2015, 04:31:24 PM
On what grounds?  Sanity? :P

Look, I CAME HERE FOR AN ARGUMENT, I'm not going to just stand...

Art mentioned that he ate a cost of $20k to start up the show after buying the equipment, while factoring in distribution and advertising. There's no way he recouped on his investment in less than five months with their subscription model.

Quote from: grizpsych on December 13, 2015, 04:30:24 PM
Obviously the intent is to stop AB from doing what he likes--Terrorism.

You'd probably need proof first... Did Art recieve specific demands,  including--stop broadcasting or else?

grizpsych

Quote from: rekcuf on December 13, 2015, 04:35:03 PM
You'd probably need proof first... Did Art recieve specific demands,  including--stop broadcasting or else?
Yes. Derp!

Quote from: whoozit on December 13, 2015, 04:31:24 PM
On what grounds?  Sanity? :P

Don't mess with me. I've viewed many Perry Mason & Matlock episodes...

whoozit

Quote from: trostol on December 13, 2015, 04:32:39 PM
Look, I CAME HERE FOR AN ARGUMENT, I'm not going to just stand...
No you didn't. :)

trostol

Quote from: whoozit on December 13, 2015, 04:36:50 PM
No you didn't. :)

Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

starrmtn001

Quote from: phrodo on December 13, 2015, 04:10:31 PM
I too subscribed to Other Side of Midnight .. just to show my support for DMDN. And am of course keeping my sub to MiTD as long as the lights are on there. I also emailed Keith and told him he oughta add a donate button on his sites.
I also suggested, to Keith, that he add a donate button, a couple of months ago.  He said, just subscribing is enough.  I hope your email changes his mind.  I'm not up for going quietly into the night, with my tail drooping.

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on December 13, 2015, 04:33:48 PM
Art mentioned that he ate a cost of $20k to start up the show after buying the equipment, while factoring in distribution and advertising. There's no way he recouped on his investment in less than five months with their subscription model.

Was he making a profit, not counting the prior investment?

grizpsych

Quote from: rekcuf on December 13, 2015, 04:37:37 PM
Prove your assertion. Derp!
Are you serious? Read Redacted and AB's posts about the situation!

bellNwhistle

Buying equipment.. and do we even know how he managed to get all of the music he played? I recall him mentioning repeatedly how expensive that would be.  What about advertising? They pay him up front for a set # of ads? Now he has to reimburse those people I would assume.  And all of the lights and stuff he just paid for. 

Does RCH pay him or Keith to rent out space to do his show?

Dixon Bawls

Quote from: trostol on December 13, 2015, 04:38:12 PM
Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
Sorry, it's 'getting hit on the head' lessons in here.

I don't know man, they were pulling in somewhere in the mid to high five figures a month I would suspect from subscribers and advertising. Figure the show had somewhere between 5,000 to 10,000 subs which is 25,000 to 50,000 a month not including advertising and other revenue streams. Figure half of that goes bandwidth, upkeep, employees, etc. and Keith and Art would probably split the rest is my guess.

I would be surprised if they didn't recoup the initial startup. But they probably were just starting to get in the black.

This is all my speculation.

whoozit

Quote from: trostol on December 13, 2015, 04:38:12 PM
Tisn't.

Quote from: grizpsych on December 13, 2015, 04:41:18 PM
Are you serious? Read Redacted and AB's posts about the situation!

Art couldn't tell if what he heard was a firecracker or gunshot... Art, could only hear a couple words... Redacted wasn't there...

If you think I'm denying that something happened, I'm not.

What a wonderful business model.

Step 1.  Invest a ton of money in new equipment and an entire network for your broadcast
Step 2.  Gain revenue with advertising, premium subscriptions, and terrestrial affiliates
Step 3.  Bail out right when you break even.
Step 4. ???
Step 5.  Profit!!!

Quote from: VoteQuimby on December 13, 2015, 04:42:53 PM
I don't know man, they were pulling in somewhere in the mid to high five figures a month I would suspect from subscribers and advertising. Figure the show had somewhere between 5,000 to 10,000 subs which is 25,000 to 50,000 a month not including advertising and other revenue streams. Figure half of that goes bandwidth, upkeep, employees, etc. and Keith and Art would probably split the rest is my guess.

I would be surprised if they didn't recoup the initial startup. But they probably were just starting to get in the black.

This is all my speculation.

Unsure about the network but based on Art's posts on Facebook, it doesn't sound like it was profitable from an individual standpoint.

grizpsych

Quote from: rekcuf on December 13, 2015, 04:47:34 PM
Art couldn't tell if what he heard was a firecracker or gunshot... Art, could only hear a couple words... Redacted wasn't there...

If you think I'm denying that something happened, I'm not.
That was the final straw, not the only incident. Don't be so droll.

Seriously, there are only two logical reasons that AB quit (and he already posted why).

1) He simply wanted to retire and didn't know how to tell his fans.

2) He was threatened with his hand his family's lives to quit.

Quote from: aldousburbank on December 13, 2015, 04:15:48 PM
You can't put the water back in the bong once it spills and things of this nature.

In the spirit of your call to MITD on Friday what's stopping Art from simply saying to himself "What gunshots?" and carrying on as if nothing has happened? Seems to me there's still time to jump back to the old timeline if he chooses to do so.