• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: onan on February 05, 2016, 03:35:28 PM
~~~~ I think I'm a doctor behind a desk~~~~
Eye-rolling is "old fashioned ignore" and you are getting it.

Leave your work at work.

ItsOver

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 05, 2016, 03:48:06 PM
I can see why you are so upset then.
Hey, I'm not the one upset about gravity.

Philosopher

Quote from: Art Bell on February 05, 2016, 03:35:15 PM
Boy I have struggled to remain neutral in all this hate but I have had it up to here and now feel Art lied about everything, would not know the truth if it bit him in the ass. He is the most disingenuous Con Man I have ever heard, simply a lying SOB. Beyond that I don't trust him, if I don't stop now I will Vomit, I will never listen to that Pussy again and want my money back.

Sounds like the Stalker broke into your PC Art.

onan

Quote from: Philosopher on February 05, 2016, 03:49:28 PM
Sounds like the Stalker broke into your PC Art.

Now that's funny.

Roswells, Art

Boy I have struggled to remain neutral in all this hate but I have had it up to here and now feel Art lied about everything, would not know the truth if it bit him in the ass. He is the most disingenuous Con Man I have ever heard, simply a lying SOB. Beyond that I don't trust him, if I don't stop now I will Vomit, I will never listen to that Pussy again and want my money back.

Totally agree. Also remember when he helped rescue 130 Vietnamese orphans stranded in Saigon? What a jerk.

After leaving military service he stayed in Asia, living on the Japanese island of Okinawa where he worked as a disc jockey for KSBK, the
only non-military English-language station in Japan. While there, he set a Guinness record by staying on the air for 116 hours and 15 minutes. The money
raised there allowed Bell to charter a DC-8, fly to Vietnam, and rescue 130 Vietnamese orphans stranded in Saigon at the war's end. They were eventually
brought to the United States and adopted by American families."

Art spun during the Keith Rowland question last night, big time:

Howard Hughes’ The Unexplained decided to go a different route.  His pre-recorded show was simply played here on Mondays, and nothing was going to change that. He never was LIVE, so there was no problem with us continuing to carry his show. So I’m sad to see him leave. Howard had been approached months ago, to do a LIVE 5-day a week program to be aired right before Art. Unfortunately, circumstances made that unable to happen.  It’s too bad, because Howard would have been the one to sit in for Art, had he already been doing a LIVE show here on DMDN. We really liked Howard’s show, style and broadcast professionalism.

http://midnightinthedesert.com/time-for-another-update-from-keith/

Why would Keith post something like that in one of his public DMDN updates when Heather had been in the seat for almost a full month? 

NXOEED

Quote from: trostol on February 05, 2016, 03:32:14 PM
paranormal topics/shows are now pretty much over saturated with everyone seemingly having their own podcast about them..

That's kind of why I don't listen to a ton of them. If I really wanted to, I could tune the AM dial to 910 every night and listen to Clyde Lewis before getting started on MiTD. He's not bad. But I can't listen to solid 12 hour blocks of paranormal radio. I kind of decided when Art came back that I was gonna pick one and stick with it. And I have.

I don't think I hear the same things that a lot of folks do when I'm listening to Heather's MiTD. She has decent guests and asks the sorts of questions I'd want to ask if I were in her shoes. Maybe that makes me an idiot. If that's the case, cool. I'm an idiot.

There are times when I come here and read what everybody says, and I just want to say, sorry you guys were so hurt by this that the wounds still haven't healed nearly three months after the fact. I don't really know how to be angry at entertainment. It's either something I take in or something I leave alone. This is a situation where it seems (at least to me) that there are no real bad guys (except for the stalker, maybe). It's just people who made decisions based on incidents that occurred, and are dealing with the consequences as best they can.

ItsOver

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 05, 2016, 03:50:49 PM
I know, I think it sucks too.
You can always start the "Gravity Sucks!  The definitive compendium thread."  Gravity hater.  ;)

Well played Art.

onan

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on February 05, 2016, 03:48:44 PM
Eye-rolling is "old fashioned ignore" and you are getting it.

Leave your work at work.

Leave your begging for money off the forum.

Oh, oh, oh, I will leave my work at work when you find work.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 05, 2016, 03:37:09 PM
The biggest difference was Heather was already working for the network, was already familiar with the guests that were lined up, and was available to sit in the chair. I can see why Art thought she was the logical choice. She had been interviewing potential guests in her role as producer, and had been getting advice in that job from Art.

I've heard Mr. Fidget. I've heard Heather. Whether Art made the right choice or not, I choose to support Heather. She got put into a difficult situation, and I think she has been doing a good job.

I am glad that Art came out and said she should make the show her own. I have a feeling she has been reticent to do that as long as she was "just keeping the chair warm". She will sink or swim on her own merits. Keith couldn't afford to keep the show going if it wasn't paying for itself.

Even without Art, I still find it easier to listen to than C2C.

This is where you and I will never agree. He did not make the right choice and refuses to admit it or correct it. Why in the world should I support his choice? Blind loyalty to something or someone or other? You tell me.

Lilith

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 05, 2016, 03:37:09 PM
The biggest difference was Heather was already working for the network, was already familiar with the guests that were lined up, and was available to sit in the chair. I can see why Art thought she was the logical choice. She had been interviewing potential guests in her role as producer, and had been getting advice in that job from Art.

I've heard Mr. Fidget. I've heard Heather. Whether Art made the right choice or not, I choose to support Heather. She got put into a difficult situation, and I think she has been doing a good job.

I am glad that Art came out and said she should make the show her own. I have a feeling she has been reticent to do that as long as she was "just keeping the chair warm". She will sink or swim on her own merits. Keith couldn't afford to keep the show going if it wasn't paying for itself.

Even without Art, I still find it easier to listen to than C2C.

I would like to agree with you because I like you GravitySucks, but I don't agree with a single thing you said here.  First of all, as I have pointed out, I think the guests were mostly boring since most of us have heard them all a gazillion times before, on a gazillion other programs with other hosts. Going "paranormal" and getting away from arts self made format of taking on the issues of the day, was the first big mistake IMO.   And as for Heather, she has said many times that is was her dream.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: theONE on February 05, 2016, 02:53:54 PM

O,yes O,yes -- Art said it, ..please listen to the interview MV had last night

art said she can get a job at any station she wants?  sorry, but i don't recall that.  however, i did say that she could probably submit her work with mitd to radio stations, and she'd end up with a job.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ItsOver on February 05, 2016, 03:52:51 PM
You can always start the "Gravity Sucks!  The definitive compendium thread."  Gravity hater.  ;)

I actually thought about it.  But then people would want me to explain gravity, and since there is really no fundamental understanding of gravity, I would become frustrated.

That's why it sucks. Can't understand it.

I don't really hate it, well unless you consider the time that I was on top of a ladder that buckled while I was trimming the top of a pine tree. Even then, I can't say it was hate... More like disdain.

onan

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 05, 2016, 03:57:40 PM
I actually thought about it.  But then people would want me to explain gravity, and since there is really no fundamental understanding of gravity, I would become frustrated.

I don't really hate it, well unless you consider the time that I was on top of a ladder that buckled while I was trimming the top of a pine tree. Even then, I can't say it was hate... More like disdain.

My back hates gravity. It hates it more every year.

Ciardelo

Contempt maybe?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: brig on February 05, 2016, 03:09:31 PM
Honestly, I think at this point, it's the "paranormal only" environment of the DMDN that is its own worst enemy.

that's definitely a drag.  no doubt.

DarKPenguiN

Quote from: theONE on February 05, 2016, 03:33:38 PM
I would be very interested in DarKPenguiN take on it, if he thinks is of any interest to him.
I think something happened-

Listening to the interview (which so far is some of the best Art bell ive heard in ages) one thing that strikes me is his comment about (paraphrase) "I had my finger on the trigger and could have shot him and then it all hit me how close I was to taking another human beings life"- That isnt something I think hes making up. I personally had a semi similar incident with a break in at my home while living in the country and I went inside with my firearm drawn and would have shot someone (they were already gone thank god) and even though I never pointed my firearm at another person, I still had everything hit me shortly after and really was a terrifying and life changing thing realizing you could have taken a human life even if it was justified and in self defense it would change everything forever... Anyhow, the way he described that struck me as true. He didnt try to come across like a badass but like a real human being.

Overall my opinion isnt really changed- I think something did happen but I dont buy the stalker story and really do think he was ready to hang up the mic and found what he felt would be a valid excuse... But i'm way more inclined to feel that the incident with the firearm drawn was a real incident. Could be simply kids fucking around and vandalizing things but in an area like that where everyone is heavily armed I would think kids would be a bit smarter and that there was probably a valid concern of someone being on his property.

I dont really subscribe to any conspiracy theory or real plot being hatched by anyone to "take Art off the air"- There's just far too many mental gymnastics I have to go through to see any plausibility in that.

I dont know man- I dont think any of us will ever know, really. We either believe Art or we dont and then we speculate on what could be an infinite number of scenarios. I could find plausible and implausible points to probably every scenario and I have my own feelings on the matter (although I think theres more truth to what Art is saying than i did prior to the first 10 mins of this interview) but regardless- The only one who will ever know the full truth for sure and without any question is Art bell.

That said this is a hell of a good interview so far.

And all this time I thought you really didn't like the movie "Gravity".

theONE

People it is worth it to click on Adds here, look , I did won:

"You're Today's Winner
in Shepard!"

"$3000 Travel Spree !"

haha ... :):)  suck on that losers  ... :)

ItsOver

Quote from: NXOEED on February 05, 2016, 03:51:15 PM
That's kind of why I don't listen to a ton of them. If I really wanted to, I could tune the AM dial to 910 every night and listen to Clyde Lewis before getting started on MiTD. He's not bad. But I can't listen to solid 12 hour blocks of paranormal radio. I kind of decided when Art came back that I was gonna pick one and stick with it. And I have.

I don't think I hear the same things that a lot of folks do when I'm listening to Heather's MiTD. She has decent guests and asks the sorts of questions I'd want to ask if I were in her shoes. Maybe that makes me an idiot. If that's the case, cool. I'm an idiot.

There are times when I come here and read what everybody says, and I just want to say, sorry you guys were so hurt by this that the wounds still haven't healed nearly three months after the fact. I don't really know how to be angry at entertainment. It's either something I take in or something I leave alone. This is a situation where it seems (at least to me) that there are no real bad guys (except for the stalker, maybe). It's just people who made decisions based on incidents that occurred, and are dealing with the consequences as best they can.
Clyde has a voice made for radio but I don't listen to him much.  It not because of paranormal topics, though.  I think he's very entertaining when he has a good paranormal topic, especially with a guest.  The issue I have with him, though, are his "stream of consciousness" rants and bizarre memes and conspiracies.

I'm surprised nobody has really risen from the ranks to anything approach Art's level since he left Premrad.  Whether you agree with him or not, Limbaugh dominates day time talk but where's anything approaching Limbaugh's level for night time radio?  Is night time radio really that less lucrative?  Why is Premrad so happy, apparently, to just loaf along with George at night?  It's not only Noory sucks, nighttime AM radio, especially for the wee hours sucks.

onan

Quote from: theONE on February 05, 2016, 04:00:20 PM
People it is worth it to click on Adds here, look , I did won:

"You're Today's Winner
in Shepard!"

"$3000 Travel Spree !"

haha ... :):)  suck on that losers  ... :)

Seriously, congratulations.

WhiteCrow

Hate Art.. Heather's a Witch .. MV is a Genius

This is  Black Crow

GravitySucks

Quote from: brig on February 05, 2016, 03:55:39 PM
I would like to agree with you because I like you GravitySucks, but I don't agree with a single thing you said here.  First of all, as I have pointed out, I think the guests were mostly boring since most of us have heard them all a gazillion times before, on a gazillion other programs with other hosts. Going "paranormal" and getting away from arts self made format of taking on the issues of the day, was the first big mistake IMO.   And as for Heather, she has said many times that is was her dream.

I don't take issue with your opinions. I didn't even say they were good guests. I was just pointing out that I can see what factors Art may have considered when he decided Heather was his first choice.

Do you agree that Heather was employed by the network?
Do you agree Heather was the producer?
Do you agree that she had interviewed the guests as part of her job?

I don't know what I said that makes you say "I don't agree with a single thing you said there". Those are 3 things that everyone should be able to agree with. Those are just facts.

The format of the show as a paranormal show was made long before Heather became part of the show. Maybe she will expand the format now that Art has said it should be her show. Who knows. I hope she does.

You know I love you Brig. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, I just jumped in with my opinion.

Quote from: MV on February 05, 2016, 03:59:36 PM
that's definitely a drag.  no doubt.

It seems like Keith is the main proponent of that time slot being all paranormal, though guest selections while Heather was producing for Art were up to her so I suppose she shares some of the blame too. I much preferred listening to Art when it was a variety show, not the same old stories about bigfoot or other topics that have been beaten to death. How many times can someone discuss the dogman before it becomes dull?

Dr Who

c2c you mean the political show talk station.C2C I live here in Northern Ireland But I have been listening to Art Bell since 1996 because when my first wife was alive we used to go to New york every year for thanksgiving. MyUncle then sent me reell to reel tape every three months 120 hours of Art Bell.I like C2c When George Knap is on or  I Do like Dave Schrader and Jimmy Church but George please retire.

NXOEED

Quote from: ItsOver on February 05, 2016, 04:01:51 PM
Clyde has a voice made for radio but I don't listen to him much.  It not because of paranormal topics, though.  I think he's very entertaining when he has a good paranormal topic, especially with a guest.  The issue I have with him, though, are his "stream of consciousness" rants and bizarre memes and conspiracies.

I'm surprised nobody has really risen from the ranks to anything approach Art's level since he left Premrad.  Whether you agree with him or not, Limbaugh dominates day time talk but where's anything approaching Limbaugh's level for night time radio?  Is night time radio really that less lucrative?  Why is Premrad so happy, apparently, to just loaf along with George at night?  It's not only Noory sucks, nighttime AM radio, especially for the wee hours sucks.

I agree. Believe it or not, I listen to all three hours of Rush every day, even though I'm not necessarily his target demographic. The man is a master of his craft, and nothing makes that more evident than every afternoon, when Rush ends and Hannity begins. Hannity is the Noory of political talk radio.

Guys like Art and Limbaugh are extremely rare.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 05, 2016, 03:59:59 PM
And all this time I thought you really didn't like the movie "Gravity".

The book is great. I haven't seen the movie.

onan

Quote from: NXOEED on February 05, 2016, 04:09:16 PM
Guys like Art and Limbaugh are extremely rare.

With ya on that one.

onan

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 05, 2016, 04:09:34 PM
The book is great. I haven't seen the movie.

Stick with the book.