• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Somewhere In Time Question

Started by vengerx, March 21, 2015, 10:35:13 PM

vengerx

I have a question about some of the Somewhere In Time shows. How does a 5 hour show get cut down to a 4 hour show?  What all ends up on the cutting room floor?

Morgus

Back in the 90s, when Art's shows were 5 hours long, the guest was often only on for the first 4 hours or less, leaving the last hour with open lines. Because the show went to 4am on the west coast back then and most of the east coast stations didn't carry the live last hour anyway.
So they are probably just cutting off that last hour in most cases.

jazmunda

Quote from: Morgus on March 21, 2015, 11:34:29 PM
Back in the 90s, when Art's shows were 5 hours long, the guest was often only on for the first 4 hours or less, leaving the last hour with open lines. Because the show went to 4am on the west coast back then and most of the east coast stations didn't carry the live last hour anyway.

Morgus is correct. I can't remember when the switch from 5 to 4 hours occurred bu most of the 90s shows were done in the format Morgus laid out.

I actually prefer the open lines at the end of the show when it's in the middle of the night and anything goes. Open lines at the beginning of the show always seemed rushed and if there was someone interesting on there was never enough time to explore it because there was always a guest coming up.

vengerx

Cutting out some of the open lines makes sense.  Thanks guys.  Can't wait for Arts return!

Quote from: Morgus on March 21, 2015, 11:34:29 PM

Yes, I think if Art liked the guest he would ask them for the extra hour. I also recall some shows in which the guest came on in the 2nd hour and first and last hours were open lines.