• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Disrespectful Noory

Started by conbrio, September 22, 2013, 06:45:00 PM

conbrio

After reading all of the section, "Art says GN did the most shameful thing ever last night" , I have decided NEVER to listen to GN  again. George is a smart man and knows exactly what he did, I feel it was a deliberate attempt to get at Art for coming back to radio. I wasn't aware of the things that had transpired in Art's life, Of course I knew about the Philippine letter, but not the rest of it. To be quite honest with you, it is none of our business and Art's private life should be just that, Private. However having said that, I will support Art in any way I can. My new year prediction is that Norry will retire next year, and crawl back into the hole he emerged from and every time he comes out of it I hope he see's his shadow.
I would like to urge everyone to boycott C2C AM.

Mr. Hanky

I can's speak for everybody on this board, but I suspect most of them, like myself, will still continue to listen to Noory along with Art Bell. I have always listened to Noory when a particular guest or topic interests me. I listen to C2C for the topic alone and not the host. Conversely, I have always done this with Art for 20+ years as well. If there is a topic than I am disinterested in, I won't listen that particular night.

Remember, the topic or guest is 90% of the reason we listen. The host only accounts for 10% of why we listen, although Noory at times can make that 10% insufferable at times.

basswood

Quote from: Mr. Hanky on September 22, 2013, 09:11:09 PM

Remember, the topic or guest is 90% of the reason we listen. The host only accounts for 10% of why we listen, although Noory at times can make that 10% insufferable at times.

Not at present, not at all. Take a poll and you'll find the exact opposite is true in this case for now. Nearly everybody here is listening because it's "Art" regardless of who the guest is.

onan

Quote from: Mr. Hanky on September 22, 2013, 09:11:09 PM

I would hazard a guess you have little experience listening to Art. Although guests are important, Art could keep his audience entertained without a guest.

I agree if noory is the standard, anymore than 10% interest in listening would be hard to understand.

Heather Wade

I am in for the boycott.  Nooron went too far in my book.  (Can't he even pretend to have a shred of professionalism?)  It's petty, low, speaks volumes of him, & his whole crew.  They could have had any guest.  They chose this guy.

area51drone

I have not listened to one coast show this entire past week!   I think it will have to be really good and I will have to have exhausted Art's shows (listened to them in their entirety)  - in order for me to even consider it.   Even then, I will still search for newer George Knapp shows instead of Noory.   Old Ian Punnet shows that I haven't heard yet would be better (and are better) than listening to a new Noory.    IP was my favorite non-Art host, and Knapp is my second favorite.   It would be great if Art would include both of them in Dark Matter as a slap in the face to Coast.   Especially IP, since he said he couldn't work late nights due to his tinnitus, and DM isn't on too late.   It could be the perfect lineup - 4 nights of Art (well 7 nights would be awesome, but we'll be realistic) -- and 3 nights of Knapp and Punnet for the weekend shows.

The General

Quote from: Redacted on September 22, 2013, 09:43:10 PM
I am in for the boycott.  Nooron went too far in my book.  (Can't he even pretend to have a shred of professionalism?)  It's petty, low, speaks volumes of him, & his whole crew.  They could have had any guest.  They chose this guy.
Even without the snub, he sucks as a host and there is no reason to listen anymore with Art's return.

Mr. Hanky

Quote from: basswood on September 22, 2013, 09:22:25 PM
Not at present, not at all. Take a poll and you'll find the exact opposite is true in this case for now. Nearly everybody here is listening because it's "Art" regardless of who the guest is.

No matter how affable Art Bell is, he alone cannot carry a show without interesting topics or good guests. I wonder how quickly many here would listen to Art 3 hrs. every night if he did strictly a call-in show without guest interviews and him just talking for 3 hrs. straight. The guests that speak/are interviewed make the show, not the host, just like the stories make the news, not the reporters themselves.

Morgus

Quote from: Mr. Hanky on September 22, 2013, 10:48:32 PM
No matter how affable Art Bell is, he alone cannot carry a show without interesting topics or good guests. I wonder how quickly many here would listen to Art 3 hrs. every night if he did strictly a call-in show without guest interviews and him just talking for 3 hrs. straight. The guests that speak/are interviewed make the show, not the host, just like the stories make the news, not the reporters themselves.
You must not have listened to Art Bell back in the classic early-mid 1990s?
Back then most of Art's shows had no guests, it was FIVE hours of him telling a few stories and lots of callers.
Art even entertained some nights with special call in lines for aliens, vampires, time travelers, and many more.
He also sometimes had special games with callers, debates and "Truth or Trash"
Also many of the classic "guests" started as just a caller including Mel and his hole, and "MadMan" Markham.
Not only could many of us listen to Art without any guest at all, just callers for FIVE hours straight - but we wished for even more back then...

Heather Wade

Those are my favorite shows.   8)

basswood

Quote from: Morgus on September 22, 2013, 11:19:43 PM
Back then most of Art's shows had no guests, it was FIVE hours of him telling a few stories and lots of callers.
Art even entertained some nights with special call in lines for aliens, vampires, time travelers, and many more.
Also many of the classic "guests" started as just a caller including Mel and his hole, and "MadMan" Markham.
Not only could many of us listen to Art without any guest at all, just callers for FIVE hours straight - but we wished for even more back then...

Yep. I didn't feel like typing all that, knowing that someone else would lol

Mr. Hanky

Quote from: Morgus on September 22, 2013, 11:19:43 PM

I started listening to Art around 1997-98 on a regular basis. By this time, he had nightly guests. I enjoyed most of the guests and topics that were discussed nightly. I must admit that if it was just a show with him or any host with very few interviews and he was just taking calls, I would not have listened. I find talk show radio callers from the public generally annoying and a misinformed group of people. Generally, they call with the dumbest shit and aren't authorities on anything.

Let me give a comparison. Besides listening to Art Bell and C2C, I'm a big sports fan. As such, I like to listen to a local sports radio talk station locally. The way their 4 hr show works, 60% of it is interviews with sports personalities, writers, analysts, etc. 30% is the 2 hosts talking with each other and only 10% of it is actually made up up callers from the public. This is what makes that show great if you are a sports fan. Not the hosts themselves, but the content of their interviews. You learn something after listening and not some dumb ass call after call from the public filled with nonsense.

You all miss my point in my original post. Even though I dislike Noory because he's generally an idiot, it's not enough to make me boycott his show. He, nor any other radio talk show host, is important enough to a program that interviews interesting guests 2 or 3 times a week. If I see that C2C has a particular guest or topic that I am interested in listening to on a given night, I will listen for that guest and/or topic. Noory is immaterial. In the grand scheme of things, besides making fun of him, he's not important to the show.

area51drone

There are so many non dumb ass calls...  Art kicks you off if you aren't interesting, unlike so many other hosts I have heard.   It's something he discusses in his Art of Talk book - he feels he's great at keeping the flow alive...   and I agree.  He is the master of talk radio.

Morgus

Yeah Art handles callers perfectly and keeps the show entertaining.
Noory on the other hand keeps the boring callers on too long and cuts off the few interesting ones that got thru the screeners...

Queen

I don't know if anyone here has looked or noticed at Coast to Coast am website that not only did Norry invite Ottes on but a few weeks prior to that on Somewhere In Time they played Art's conversations with him.

Earth Pod

GN stepped deep into it but has twisted his brain around to thinking he did nothing wrong by having Oates on and is just being attacked by haters.  It is obvious that he did it out of anger or arrogance--or both and he burnt whatever little bridge he had left--period.  GN thinks the attention he gets here is a good thing.  Sick stuff there.  He got warm fuzzies from texting RCH during his interview with Art.  Respectfully, wouldn't that be the time to leave someone alone when you know they are in the midst of an interview?  What was so important that he had to text him at that moment--during his prep time--or was it show time?  --If you want to call it a show.  Was he on fire or did he have a mouth full of molten pizza rolls and think he was near death--again.  My bet is that he will text Whitley during his interview with Art.  GN thinks the guests he has on his show are his friends.  GN reminds me of the type who glob on after one date and even tho calls are not returned, thinks there is a serious relationship when there is NOT.  shiver....

Falkie2013

Quote from: conbrio on September 22, 2013, 06:45:00 PM
After reading all of the section, "Art says GN did the most shameful thing ever last night" , I have decided NEVER to listen to GN  again. George is a smart man and knows exactly what he did, I feel it was a deliberate attempt to get at Art for coming back to radio. I wasn't aware of the things that had transpired in Art's life, Of course I knew about the Philippine letter, but not the rest of it. To be quite honest with you, it is none of our business and Art's private life should be just that, Private. However having said that, I will support Art in any way I can. My new year prediction is that Norry will retire next year, and crawl back into the hole he emerged from and every time he comes out of it I hope he see's his shadow.
I would like to urge everyone to boycott C2C AM.

You'll excuse me if I remember to listen to Knapp because he's the only thing worth listening to any more.

And where did you ever get the idea that George Noory is smart ?

He does know how to self promote himself. It may be the ONLY thing he knows how to do well.

He sure as hell doesn't know how to be a good broadcaster or interviewer.

And never will.

dan7800

I haven't listened to George in about 1-2 years and will never again with AB now back.

onan

Quote from: dan7800 on September 23, 2013, 06:36:44 AM
I haven't listened to George in about 1-2 years and will never again with AB now back.

Gregorian chants should be playing in the background of this statement.

sleeplessinca

Quote from: Earth Pod on September 23, 2013, 04:31:03 AM
... texting RCH during his interview with Art.  Respectfully, wouldn't that be the time to leave someone alone when you know they are in the midst of an interview?  ...during his prep time--or was it show time?
this betrayed GN's "process".  What a clown.

Quote from: Mr. Hanky on September 22, 2013, 11:54:49 PM
... You all miss my point in my original post. Even though I dislike Noory because he's generally an idiot, it's not enough to make me boycott his show. He, nor any other radio talk show host, is important enough to a program that interviews interesting guests 2 or 3 times a week. If I see that C2C has a particular guest or topic that I am interested in listening to on a given night, I will listen for that guest and/or topic. Noory is immaterial. In the grand scheme of things, besides making fun of him, he's not important to the show.

Couldn't disagree more.  George ruins interviews - he interrupts with stupid comments and knocks the guests off their train of thought, he never asks the obvious follow up question, he cuts the guest off in the middle of making a point to go to the phones.  Before the guest can finish a thought he asks the next random cue card question and off they go to another topic, which then gets derailed again by the next random cue card question. And that's just for starters.

Yeah, we like making fun of him, but behind most of it are legitimate complaints about his dreadful incompetent on air performance.  It's not immaterial, and it does have a major impact on the show.

Noory is terrible.  For me it's beyond frustrating and a waste of time to listen to it.

conbrio

You don't get to GN's level in life without being smart, but don't get me wrong. Norry knew exactly what he was doing, his intention was to hurt or rub salt into the wounds and he did just that. However, it will backfire on him and C2C mark my words. I completely disagree with Mr. Hanky some of Arts best shows were call in shows, yes some of the callers were clowns but even they, were sometimes interesting. As for the guests, some good and some bad, but it was Art that made the bad guests tolerable. Some of the more memorable guests, (apart from the regulars) were, Joel Rothschild, Jim Sparks and a Dr. from Vancouver Island, I can’t remember her name, but she was an exceptional interview. One other thing, I agree about George knapp, he is the only one worth tuning in for.

Mr. Hanky

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 23, 2013, 07:55:07 AM

Couldn't disagree more.  George ruins interviews - he interrupts with stupid comments and knocks the guests off their train of thought, he never asks the obvious follow up question, he cuts the guest off in the middle of making a point to go to the phones.  Before the guest can finish a thought he asks the next random cue card question and off they go to another topic, which then gets derailed again by the next random cue card question. And that's just for starters.

I agree with you in regards to Noory's interviewing skills, which are nil. But, even with his screwing up an interview, the guest in a 3 hour show gets their main points across. I'm a meats and potato kind of guy that just wants the gist of the topic.

On a separate note, I will say that since C2C many years ago started posting their itinerary of guests on their website, whether the host be Art or Noory, I have not listened to an open lines-only show without a guest interview. The guest interviews are why I listen.

I know the hatred for Noory runs strong here. My point wasn't to praise him. All I originally posted was that I would not boycott the show just because of him and miss some decent guests that he has on the show. The internal politics of his show or his perceived fight with Art Bell is inconsequential to me. This sort of reminds me of the big media scandal between Matt Lauer and Ann Curry (LOL!!!) and the fan backlash that followed. Lauer is Noory (bad guy) and Curry is Bell (good guy).

sleeplessinca

There's smart and then there's smart.  GN was smart enough to grab a golden opportunity.  He was not smart enough to keep pedaling once he took over.  He turned it into Coast2Coasting.

First listened to Art in 1994, and I've never been able to connect to Noory as a listener.

I enjoy hearing what unscreened callers have to say, and how Art reacts is a big part of the reason it's entertaining. I know some people HATE open lines, I love it. I'm sure that there are many members here who have heard the "Art of Talk" show, when Art read from his first book for the entire show. No guest, no callers. I listened to the entire thing, and it was damned entertaining.

I'll never willingly listen to George Noory unless it's a new clip that's as funny or funnier than when he went to the hospital for pizza roll related maladies.

Honestly, I would rather read a book on a given subject than listen to Noory cover it on Coast.

Art Bell is the rice. The guests are some kind of sauce that you couldn't really eat without proper rice with which to soak up the sauce. The sauce can be great! But I'm here to "eat rice," and never to "drink sauce."

Noory and a guest is more like maggots coated with sauce, while some asshole tries to tell you it's rice.

Also, we here on this forum have hated Noory for years before any "scandal" between him and Art was made public, and I honestly believe that it's because of the quality of the work he does.

I do know some people in person who listen to George, but most of them were born after 1990 or for whatever reason started listening to coast after Noory was around.

You have to remember that this forum used to be called GeorgeNoorySucks. Not because he acted like a jerk to Art Bell, that happened later. What got him on a lot of people's bad side was his work ethic and personality.

conbrio

Yes all of this is true, but I'm not a Norry hater, I just despise what he was attempting to do by interviewing Oates.

steelbotII

Quote from: Mr. Hanky on September 23, 2013, 08:27:20 AM
I agree with you in regards to Noory's interviewing skills, which are nil. But, even with his screwing up an interview, the guest in a 3 hour show gets their main points across. I'm a meats and potato kind of guy that just wants the gist of the topic.

On a separate note, I will say that since C2C many years ago started posting their itinerary of guests on their website, whether the host be Art or Noory, I have not listened to an open lines-only show without a guest interview. The guest interviews are why I listen.

I know the hatred for Noory runs strong here. My point wasn't to praise him. All I originally posted was that I would not boycott the show just because of him and miss some decent guests that he has on the show. The internal politics of his show or his perceived fight with Art Bell is inconsequential to me. This sort of reminds me of the big media scandal between Matt Lauer and Ann Curry (LOL!!!) and the fan backlash that followed. Lauer is Noory (bad guy) and Curry is Bell (good guy).

Well, you should really go back and find some of the old shows that were strictly call in nights without guests.  Like, the infamous Mel - and hell was it John Titor that called into C2C.  Then one time this guy that was stealing transformers to create a time machine/portal or something - it's been a long time now since i've listened to those shows- but the 'unscripted'/no guest episodes where some of my favorites. 

Don't get me wrong, I like a guest on the show - to keep a pace going if anything else vs off the wall topics going in 360 separate directions, but Art as the host, has been the one to keep these types of shows interesting.  Snooray, would be struggling to punch through a wet paper bag with some of these calls had they happened un-screened during his run of the show!

-steel

casioson

what's the the Philippine letter?